Coding out of tax underpayments
As a practice we have recently seen a few cases where clients underpayments in their tax codes have been removed by HMRC and replaced on their statement of account with one month to pay.
In these cases HMRC have said that there is not enough income from which to collect the tax owing but this is not always correct.
In the latest case, we have had a letter back from HMRC stating "I am unable to code out the underpayment as requested as the PAYE system will not allow me to code out underpayments that would double your client's liability under PAYE". They then suggest our client (owing c£600) contacts Debt Management for time to pay.
Firstly, I do not understand HMRC's position here - is what they are saying correct?
Secondly, whilst all this is going on our client is being chased for the debt and (as she was worried) did ring HMRC to see if she could pay by instalments and they refused - this despite them originally coding out the tax owing (as they have done in the past) and then removing it!
I'm bewildered and frustrated (as usual when dealing with HMRC) and not quite sure what to say to the client next apart from arguing further with HMRC that if they don't reinstate the underpayment in the code that they must give her time to pay.
Any thoughts/advice please?
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 46 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,709 65
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 231 7
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 366 4
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 266 5
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 220 6
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 898 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 177 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 106 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 192 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 393 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 335 9
- Merging my businesses 141 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,725 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 518 16
- VAT on commercial property 152 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,050 49
- deceased creditor 210 5
- Corporate member of LLP 281 1
- Investment company 274 6
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 782
- RTI - duplicate employee record 539
- Pensions Regulator 445
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 405
- Sage Vat return box 2 308
- Sanzar 306
- Digital marketing focus group 289
- How do you do it 280
- Portia ... Where art thou 269
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 260