Coding out of tax underpayments
As a practice we have recently seen a few cases where clients underpayments in their tax codes have been removed by HMRC and replaced on their statement of account with one month to pay.
In these cases HMRC have said that there is not enough income from which to collect the tax owing but this is not always correct.
In the latest case, we have had a letter back from HMRC stating "I am unable to code out the underpayment as requested as the PAYE system will not allow me to code out underpayments that would double your client's liability under PAYE". They then suggest our client (owing c£600) contacts Debt Management for time to pay.
Firstly, I do not understand HMRC's position here - is what they are saying correct?
Secondly, whilst all this is going on our client is being chased for the debt and (as she was worried) did ring HMRC to see if she could pay by instalments and they refused - this despite them originally coding out the tax owing (as they have done in the past) and then removing it!
I'm bewildered and frustrated (as usual when dealing with HMRC) and not quite sure what to say to the client next apart from arguing further with HMRC that if they don't reinstate the underpayment in the code that they must give her time to pay.
Any thoughts/advice please?
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 322 5
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 76 4
- Growing pains 212 3
- Unfurnished properties allowable replacement expenditure 78 2
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 105 3
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 654 28
- Capital or revenue expense? 39 1
- Capital or revenue expense? 50 1
- VAT on land sale 263 8
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,735 25
- NOMINAL CODES 137 2
- Any Need to Formally "Sack" Client Company? 512 8
- Gift to employee 171 3
- Easiest and quickest way to reopen dissolved company, for the purposes of having access to funds in the bank account. 365 10
- Who can I refer leads to? 425 9
- Can Directors be removed without consequence? 190 3
- Residents Association Corp Tax 133 3
- UK company to be a foreign entity 99 1
- Owner/Director consultant plus employment elsewhere 141 4
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 170 3
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 439
- CTA study material 398
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 296
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 268
- Pre incorp expenses 256
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 232
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 224
- Slight twist on employment related securities 201
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 165
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 151