Coding out of tax underpayments
As a practice we have recently seen a few cases where clients underpayments in their tax codes have been removed by HMRC and replaced on their statement of account with one month to pay.
In these cases HMRC have said that there is not enough income from which to collect the tax owing but this is not always correct.
In the latest case, we have had a letter back from HMRC stating "I am unable to code out the underpayment as requested as the PAYE system will not allow me to code out underpayments that would double your client's liability under PAYE". They then suggest our client (owing c£600) contacts Debt Management for time to pay.
Firstly, I do not understand HMRC's position here - is what they are saying correct?
Secondly, whilst all this is going on our client is being chased for the debt and (as she was worried) did ring HMRC to see if she could pay by instalments and they refused - this despite them originally coding out the tax owing (as they have done in the past) and then removing it!
I'm bewildered and frustrated (as usual when dealing with HMRC) and not quite sure what to say to the client next apart from arguing further with HMRC that if they don't reinstate the underpayment in the code that they must give her time to pay.
Any thoughts/advice please?
- Clothing 566 18
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 279 12
- Digita in the cloud 20 1
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 208 7
- IHT and US resident 120 2
- Tax relief when working away 28 1
- Parent and subsidiary... 142 5
- Anybody still doing returns? 795 33
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 199 8
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,235 17
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 362 16
- Designated sole Residence 166 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 740 15
- Anyone know what this is? 303 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 928 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 555 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 282 9
- no utr 313 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,145 49
- Director drawings 614 32
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 956
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 678
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 625
- Latest phishing scam 602
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 440
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 328
- Scratch Head 266
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 258
- Sabbatical payments 219
- Negligible Value Claim 199