Coding out of tax underpayments
As a practice we have recently seen a few cases where clients underpayments in their tax codes have been removed by HMRC and replaced on their statement of account with one month to pay.
In these cases HMRC have said that there is not enough income from which to collect the tax owing but this is not always correct.
In the latest case, we have had a letter back from HMRC stating "I am unable to code out the underpayment as requested as the PAYE system will not allow me to code out underpayments that would double your client's liability under PAYE". They then suggest our client (owing c£600) contacts Debt Management for time to pay.
Firstly, I do not understand HMRC's position here - is what they are saying correct?
Secondly, whilst all this is going on our client is being chased for the debt and (as she was worried) did ring HMRC to see if she could pay by instalments and they refused - this despite them originally coding out the tax owing (as they have done in the past) and then removing it!
I'm bewildered and frustrated (as usual when dealing with HMRC) and not quite sure what to say to the client next apart from arguing further with HMRC that if they don't reinstate the underpayment in the code that they must give her time to pay.
Any thoughts/advice please?
- Elective DeductionsModel 47 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 179 1
- Rental Income 283 6
- Value pricing 157 6
- Payroll 2012/13 78 1
- I have a pain 660 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 59 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 147 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 719 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 102 3
- Cash flow 134 2
- New use of home - simplified method 207 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 256 5
- company secretarial software 101 1
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 359 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,935 32
- Share restructure 327 12
- Liquidation of Subsiduary 143 4
- Unknown cash receipt 1,838 14
- P11d error 423 9
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 726
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 496
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 342
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 336
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 261
- VAT on Gaming Machines 210
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 196
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 180
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 172
- Director Loan account operation 146