Coding out of tax underpayments
As a practice we have recently seen a few cases where clients underpayments in their tax codes have been removed by HMRC and replaced on their statement of account with one month to pay.
In these cases HMRC have said that there is not enough income from which to collect the tax owing but this is not always correct.
In the latest case, we have had a letter back from HMRC stating "I am unable to code out the underpayment as requested as the PAYE system will not allow me to code out underpayments that would double your client's liability under PAYE". They then suggest our client (owing c£600) contacts Debt Management for time to pay.
Firstly, I do not understand HMRC's position here - is what they are saying correct?
Secondly, whilst all this is going on our client is being chased for the debt and (as she was worried) did ring HMRC to see if she could pay by instalments and they refused - this despite them originally coding out the tax owing (as they have done in the past) and then removing it!
I'm bewildered and frustrated (as usual when dealing with HMRC) and not quite sure what to say to the client next apart from arguing further with HMRC that if they don't reinstate the underpayment in the code that they must give her time to pay.
Any thoughts/advice please?
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 128 3
- Scams are not always obvious 667 19
- RTI, no payroll but BIK 92 1
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 85 2
- VAT on long lease in comercial property thathas opted to Tax 77 3
- Related party disclosures 161 3
- Input vat on my fees after deregistration 170 2
- Charity Buildings and Zero-rated Vat 65 1
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 601 17
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 200 4
- Vat query - EU customer requesting invoice without charging vat 239 8
- Is this legal? 607 9
- Market Value/Connected Persons 178 7
- Saying NO to a time wasters 1,980 23
- Cells from many sheets 122 2
- Taxation of rental income 190 4
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 134 6
- Childcare vouchers 95 1
- Directors loan 1,402 9
- Expenses allowable against income from lodger 136 1
- New Fangled Penalties 1,040
- Moving away from CCH software 900
- Recruitment agencies 525
- QROP pension input amounts 409
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 361
- Deemed Employment Payment 342
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 306
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 297
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 216
- fraud 210