Coding out of tax underpayments
As a practice we have recently seen a few cases where clients underpayments in their tax codes have been removed by HMRC and replaced on their statement of account with one month to pay.
In these cases HMRC have said that there is not enough income from which to collect the tax owing but this is not always correct.
In the latest case, we have had a letter back from HMRC stating "I am unable to code out the underpayment as requested as the PAYE system will not allow me to code out underpayments that would double your client's liability under PAYE". They then suggest our client (owing c£600) contacts Debt Management for time to pay.
Firstly, I do not understand HMRC's position here - is what they are saying correct?
Secondly, whilst all this is going on our client is being chased for the debt and (as she was worried) did ring HMRC to see if she could pay by instalments and they refused - this despite them originally coding out the tax owing (as they have done in the past) and then removing it!
I'm bewildered and frustrated (as usual when dealing with HMRC) and not quite sure what to say to the client next apart from arguing further with HMRC that if they don't reinstate the underpayment in the code that they must give her time to pay.
Any thoughts/advice please?
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,236 51
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 200 10
- How to claim CIS refund for limited company that 187 4
- Moneysoft - technical query 264 7
- VAT position on EU supplies/commission 119 3
- VAT Reverse Charge Accounting 36 2
- System selection 34 1
- New Client - incorrect accounts filed 64 2
- Exasperated by HMRC 2,215 20
- Non Resident Landlord Tax 87 2
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 160 4
- Manufacturing A/c - Acc. depn 57 2
- VAT REGISTATIONS 148 3
- New Company Director PAYE Question 817 22
- Class 4 Losses 155 3
- Taking drawings in a partnership 78 1
- Issue shares to shareholders 75 3
- Education - Pre made assembly! 115 1
- Remove Extinguished Charge 124 1
- HMRC arbitrarily amending tax returns for higher rate child benefit charge 381 1
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 345
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 282
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 255
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 254
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 243
- Electric Car 199
- S222 Charge 189
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 178
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 176
- Freelance Accounting link 165