Coding out of tax underpayments
As a practice we have recently seen a few cases where clients underpayments in their tax codes have been removed by HMRC and replaced on their statement of account with one month to pay.
In these cases HMRC have said that there is not enough income from which to collect the tax owing but this is not always correct.
In the latest case, we have had a letter back from HMRC stating "I am unable to code out the underpayment as requested as the PAYE system will not allow me to code out underpayments that would double your client's liability under PAYE". They then suggest our client (owing c£600) contacts Debt Management for time to pay.
Firstly, I do not understand HMRC's position here - is what they are saying correct?
Secondly, whilst all this is going on our client is being chased for the debt and (as she was worried) did ring HMRC to see if she could pay by instalments and they refused - this despite them originally coding out the tax owing (as they have done in the past) and then removing it!
I'm bewildered and frustrated (as usual when dealing with HMRC) and not quite sure what to say to the client next apart from arguing further with HMRC that if they don't reinstate the underpayment in the code that they must give her time to pay.
Any thoughts/advice please?
- When to top-up pensions? 34 1
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,811 22
- Withdrawal of a quote 190 5
- Company Number 10000000 946 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 336 5
- CGT on lost shares/scam 154 3
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 407 3
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,811 29
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 543 10
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 415 9
- Support / ticketing software 288 9
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 200 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 328 5
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 260 2
- Stamp Duty 112 2
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 400 13
- Best software for small practice? 824 24
- Large director's pension contribution 636 10
- Credit for price reduction - Inventory write down effect 141 2
- Car benefit or not? 2,559 26
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 793
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 282
- DTA tie-breaker issue 279
- CGT for NOn UK residents 239
- Apprenticeship Levy 214
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 206
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 206
- Just checking re PSA 194
- Capital Gains personal representatives 187