Coding out of tax underpayments
As a practice we have recently seen a few cases where clients underpayments in their tax codes have been removed by HMRC and replaced on their statement of account with one month to pay.
In these cases HMRC have said that there is not enough income from which to collect the tax owing but this is not always correct.
In the latest case, we have had a letter back from HMRC stating "I am unable to code out the underpayment as requested as the PAYE system will not allow me to code out underpayments that would double your client's liability under PAYE". They then suggest our client (owing c£600) contacts Debt Management for time to pay.
Firstly, I do not understand HMRC's position here - is what they are saying correct?
Secondly, whilst all this is going on our client is being chased for the debt and (as she was worried) did ring HMRC to see if she could pay by instalments and they refused - this despite them originally coding out the tax owing (as they have done in the past) and then removing it!
I'm bewildered and frustrated (as usual when dealing with HMRC) and not quite sure what to say to the client next apart from arguing further with HMRC that if they don't reinstate the underpayment in the code that they must give her time to pay.
Any thoughts/advice please?
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 479 30
- Is it just me 238 7
- LLP classification of division of profit 181 7
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,071 32
- Moving from Sage payroll to Iris Payroll 84 2
- I know this has been done to death but IRIS / DIGITA / CCH??? 485 9
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 215 4
- Management Buy Out - shares exchanged 316 22
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 104 5
- Is an IPDI passed to wife on death exempt from IHT 91 1
- Excessive Security 764 32
- Incorporation Fee - What's Non-deductible? 472 9
- Does practical cloud s/w for high transaction volumes exist? 504 24
- Reduce Rate VAT as a developer 119 2
- Fee protection 325 10
- Go Cardless 111 3
- EIS deferral relief 41 1
- Looking for free PDF creator 1,269 41
- Bringing money to Uk 109 1
- VAT Inspection 111 2
- Xtuple 485
- Qtac payroll for bureau 326
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 271
- Industrial & Provident Societies 264
- Mehjoo 208
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 208
- New strategic report 162
- Domain name sale and limited company 146
- South African Government Pension 143
- CIS schemes 139