Coding out of tax underpayments
As a practice we have recently seen a few cases where clients underpayments in their tax codes have been removed by HMRC and replaced on their statement of account with one month to pay.
In these cases HMRC have said that there is not enough income from which to collect the tax owing but this is not always correct.
In the latest case, we have had a letter back from HMRC stating "I am unable to code out the underpayment as requested as the PAYE system will not allow me to code out underpayments that would double your client's liability under PAYE". They then suggest our client (owing c£600) contacts Debt Management for time to pay.
Firstly, I do not understand HMRC's position here - is what they are saying correct?
Secondly, whilst all this is going on our client is being chased for the debt and (as she was worried) did ring HMRC to see if she could pay by instalments and they refused - this despite them originally coding out the tax owing (as they have done in the past) and then removing it!
I'm bewildered and frustrated (as usual when dealing with HMRC) and not quite sure what to say to the client next apart from arguing further with HMRC that if they don't reinstate the underpayment in the code that they must give her time to pay.
Any thoughts/advice please?
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,203 23
- VAT on new build property 195 3
- HMRC - Online services - Anyone else having problems ? 137 2
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,236 23
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 361 5
- VAT Flat Rate Scheme 121 1
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 497 15
- Insurance provider not VAT registered so Out of Scope ? 282 9
- HMRC enquiry - PAYE error / RTI 151 1
- . 258 4
- 31st october deadline 267 5
- Ltd Co / Summer House 219 1
- Client right to working papers 1,699 16
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,447 7
- wills 293 3
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 269 5
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 285 5
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 1,163 18
- HMRC Online Services Problems 509 12
- Moneysoft Payroll 462 12
- NHS finance professionals 688
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 418
- Foreign Pension Contribution 387
- vat gross profit percentage margins 376
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 375
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 365
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 319
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 294
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 257
- IFA income recognition & reporting 217