Coding out of tax underpayments
As a practice we have recently seen a few cases where clients underpayments in their tax codes have been removed by HMRC and replaced on their statement of account with one month to pay.
In these cases HMRC have said that there is not enough income from which to collect the tax owing but this is not always correct.
In the latest case, we have had a letter back from HMRC stating "I am unable to code out the underpayment as requested as the PAYE system will not allow me to code out underpayments that would double your client's liability under PAYE". They then suggest our client (owing c£600) contacts Debt Management for time to pay.
Firstly, I do not understand HMRC's position here - is what they are saying correct?
Secondly, whilst all this is going on our client is being chased for the debt and (as she was worried) did ring HMRC to see if she could pay by instalments and they refused - this despite them originally coding out the tax owing (as they have done in the past) and then removing it!
I'm bewildered and frustrated (as usual when dealing with HMRC) and not quite sure what to say to the client next apart from arguing further with HMRC that if they don't reinstate the underpayment in the code that they must give her time to pay.
Any thoughts/advice please?
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 246 3
- Cocaine anyone? 83 2
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,460 21
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 801 25
- ACCA - still making me laugh 425 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 239 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 309 11
- Tax return software for remote working 465 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 509 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 422 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 443 9
- How to purchase business premises? 147 2
- Will I need to resign? 809 10
- Childcare vouchers 163 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 271 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 297 6
- VAT avoidance? 221 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 183 3
- PAYE coding out 180 3
- Follower cases 574 2
- Hive up 469
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 437
- corporate hierarchy 415
- Advice - 243
- Amortisation of Goodwill 217
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 203
- WWOOFers 199
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 179
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 178
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 177