Coding out of tax underpayments
As a practice we have recently seen a few cases where clients underpayments in their tax codes have been removed by HMRC and replaced on their statement of account with one month to pay.
In these cases HMRC have said that there is not enough income from which to collect the tax owing but this is not always correct.
In the latest case, we have had a letter back from HMRC stating "I am unable to code out the underpayment as requested as the PAYE system will not allow me to code out underpayments that would double your client's liability under PAYE". They then suggest our client (owing c£600) contacts Debt Management for time to pay.
Firstly, I do not understand HMRC's position here - is what they are saying correct?
Secondly, whilst all this is going on our client is being chased for the debt and (as she was worried) did ring HMRC to see if she could pay by instalments and they refused - this despite them originally coding out the tax owing (as they have done in the past) and then removing it!
I'm bewildered and frustrated (as usual when dealing with HMRC) and not quite sure what to say to the client next apart from arguing further with HMRC that if they don't reinstate the underpayment in the code that they must give her time to pay.
Any thoughts/advice please?
- Invoice Help 389 11
- CGT 30 2
- is my company accounts right? 799 22
- Corporate shareholder question 186 3
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 257 4
- What can my client claim r & d on? 79 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,010 28
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 390 9
- Class 2 National Insurance contributions 370 6
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 83 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,505 55
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,557 21
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 119 1
- P11D Dispensation 107 1
- I have missing sales invoices 383 5
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 276 8
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 375 5
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,031 19
- Errors in prior year accounts 1,062 26
- Directors Subsistence 232 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 556
- Cancelled 320
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 320
- Cancelled 269
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 225
- Married woman dies owning marital home 221
- Probiz 212
- What's the market like for temps? 201
- CIS Deductions 170
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 161