Coding out of tax underpayments
As a practice we have recently seen a few cases where clients underpayments in their tax codes have been removed by HMRC and replaced on their statement of account with one month to pay.
In these cases HMRC have said that there is not enough income from which to collect the tax owing but this is not always correct.
In the latest case, we have had a letter back from HMRC stating "I am unable to code out the underpayment as requested as the PAYE system will not allow me to code out underpayments that would double your client's liability under PAYE". They then suggest our client (owing c£600) contacts Debt Management for time to pay.
Firstly, I do not understand HMRC's position here - is what they are saying correct?
Secondly, whilst all this is going on our client is being chased for the debt and (as she was worried) did ring HMRC to see if she could pay by instalments and they refused - this despite them originally coding out the tax owing (as they have done in the past) and then removing it!
I'm bewildered and frustrated (as usual when dealing with HMRC) and not quite sure what to say to the client next apart from arguing further with HMRC that if they don't reinstate the underpayment in the code that they must give her time to pay.
Any thoughts/advice please?
- Goods Purchased for Rental 338 11
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 646 23
- Myfirmsapp 592 13
- Valuation of business 242 4
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 97 4
- Dividend Payments 339 9
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 48 2
- I.d for vat registration 103 6
- Filing past due corporation tax returns 267 1
- Completing Self-Assessment for a Director of Owner Managed Business 144 3
- CIS Deductions 93 2
- SA302's anyone?? 2,630 40
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 114 3
- Loan to Partnership is s455 tax relevant? 468 17
- Legal Counsel PC costs 64 1
- High Income Child Benefit 120 2
- Fees for sale 353 6
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 2,612 24
- Share premium or Directors Loan 653 28
- Taxfiler V's BTC 490 18
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,007
- International interest certificate 586
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 506
- NOVA 470
- Bonus Bonds 354
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 327
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 257
- Payment for Promotional Samples 225
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 221
- Quickbooks 2015 145