Coding out of tax underpayments
As a practice we have recently seen a few cases where clients underpayments in their tax codes have been removed by HMRC and replaced on their statement of account with one month to pay.
In these cases HMRC have said that there is not enough income from which to collect the tax owing but this is not always correct.
In the latest case, we have had a letter back from HMRC stating "I am unable to code out the underpayment as requested as the PAYE system will not allow me to code out underpayments that would double your client's liability under PAYE". They then suggest our client (owing c£600) contacts Debt Management for time to pay.
Firstly, I do not understand HMRC's position here - is what they are saying correct?
Secondly, whilst all this is going on our client is being chased for the debt and (as she was worried) did ring HMRC to see if she could pay by instalments and they refused - this despite them originally coding out the tax owing (as they have done in the past) and then removing it!
I'm bewildered and frustrated (as usual when dealing with HMRC) and not quite sure what to say to the client next apart from arguing further with HMRC that if they don't reinstate the underpayment in the code that they must give her time to pay.
Any thoughts/advice please?
- Clearbooks - creating a HP Account 191 8
- CGT on transfer of property 278 16
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 803 15
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 46 1
- The stupidity continues 2,305 100
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 131 2
- Pension Fund Audit for HMRC form APSS106 - suggested program? 42 1
- Excel file Corrupted 131 3
- Benefit in kind but no salary 158 2
- Ishares Ftse 100 (ETF) -Ireland 116 1
- Marketing and email surprises 502 10
- Cis refund for company 171 3
- 45p mileage - stupid question 408 4
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 137 1
- Taxable turnover for VAT registration 222 8
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,480 27
- PRR and Letting relief 126 2
- Do I need to make a P11D provision in Accs? 172 2
- Capital Event? 153 4
- Transfer of property to director & shareholder 104 1
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 457
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 451
- WIP Software 317
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 301
- No payroll scheme in place 258
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 251
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 233
- Is there anything wrong with this? 230
- Small Part Disposal of Property 209
- Uncommercial property business 203