Company enquiry, Directors bank statements requested
Limited company, selected for an enquiry, (2008 year end)
HMRC asked for a meeting which was attended and then issued a letter asking for accounting book and records. After their review of the records they then asked numerous other questions but also asked for copies of the directors personal bank statements from 2005 to 2009 or for them to sign mandates so hmrc could request them from the bank.
We answered the queries hmrc raised but asked them to reconsider if they really needed the bank statements in light of the information provided in that letter.
The 'tax specialist' at HMRC has now replied stating they beleive there are cash sales undisclosed in the accounts (client is adamant there are none) and quoted various sections of the enquiry manuals and has reiterated that the bank statements need to be sent in or they will obtain them formally.
2 questions really -
Firstly, is this normal procedure to ask for these personal documents so early in the enquiry?
secondly, is it reasonable to ask for directors bank statements for periods prior to the year under enquiry for the company? Anyone got experience of this as the questions/answers from HMRC seem to be standard responses.
- are we that stupid 852 19
- Foster Care 35 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 330 5
- letter of reference 130 1
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 55 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 271 3
- Flat Management Company 191 1
- Share structure questions - close company 168 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 160 4
- Income prior to company formation 336 9
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 723 12
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 307 5
- Forbes Computer Systems - Practice Management (CRM) 123 1
- Can I sell my own equipment to my business? 526 5
- Practice software 1,420 20
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 362 1
- Company leaving VAT group 169 4
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 611 18
- Staff training 1,551 13
- Goodwill on incorporation 280 2
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 327
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 286
- French ConnectionUK 267
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 246
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 216
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 214
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 151
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 148
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 148
- Indian Provident Fund 146