Company enquiry, Directors bank statements requested
Limited company, selected for an enquiry, (2008 year end)
HMRC asked for a meeting which was attended and then issued a letter asking for accounting book and records. After their review of the records they then asked numerous other questions but also asked for copies of the directors personal bank statements from 2005 to 2009 or for them to sign mandates so hmrc could request them from the bank.
We answered the queries hmrc raised but asked them to reconsider if they really needed the bank statements in light of the information provided in that letter.
The 'tax specialist' at HMRC has now replied stating they beleive there are cash sales undisclosed in the accounts (client is adamant there are none) and quoted various sections of the enquiry manuals and has reiterated that the bank statements need to be sent in or they will obtain them formally.
2 questions really -
Firstly, is this normal procedure to ask for these personal documents so early in the enquiry?
secondly, is it reasonable to ask for directors bank statements for periods prior to the year under enquiry for the company? Anyone got experience of this as the questions/answers from HMRC seem to be standard responses.
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 17 1
- Gifting shares 211 4
- VAT Registration 357 17
- Holding companies 87 4
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 615 5
- Notes to statutory accounts 162 9
- Childminding & Wear & Tear Allowance 42 1
- VAT on motor expenses 835 30
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 135 4
- Soil Survey Required Mortgage 165 5
- What does it mean?? 90 1
- A question about share structure 161 2
- VAT & Landlords 89 2
- Client died family to pay redundancy 182 2
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 316 5
- Rent paid by director 63 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 108 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 422 13
- Builder using cash labour 333 3
- Easy way to not pay tax 768 18
- Skandia using wrong address 1,519
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 838
- International interest certificate 455
- NOVA 313
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 196
- Bonus Bonds 195
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 193
- Management expenses for investment company 188
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 172
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 165