Company enquiry, Directors bank statements requested
Limited company, selected for an enquiry, (2008 year end)
HMRC asked for a meeting which was attended and then issued a letter asking for accounting book and records. After their review of the records they then asked numerous other questions but also asked for copies of the directors personal bank statements from 2005 to 2009 or for them to sign mandates so hmrc could request them from the bank.
We answered the queries hmrc raised but asked them to reconsider if they really needed the bank statements in light of the information provided in that letter.
The 'tax specialist' at HMRC has now replied stating they beleive there are cash sales undisclosed in the accounts (client is adamant there are none) and quoted various sections of the enquiry manuals and has reiterated that the bank statements need to be sent in or they will obtain them formally.
2 questions really -
Firstly, is this normal procedure to ask for these personal documents so early in the enquiry?
secondly, is it reasonable to ask for directors bank statements for periods prior to the year under enquiry for the company? Anyone got experience of this as the questions/answers from HMRC seem to be standard responses.
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 36 1
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,036 15
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 86 2
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 225 4
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 403 6
- Scottish Independance 572 15
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 80 1
- WC's and capital allowances 54 1
- How to complain about HMRC 1,164 13
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 212 1
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 392 8
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 829 10
- carry back of gift aid 117 2
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 124 3
- Dress code 1,318 29
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 385 17
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 716 19
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 338 8
- NOMINAL CODES 343 4
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 750 5
- CTA study material 749
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 465
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 351
- Employment related securities question 299
- AIM Stocks and IHT 275
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 246
- Expat pension contributions? 242
- Trust for Employee 228
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 140
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 139