Company enquiry, Directors bank statements requested
Limited company, selected for an enquiry, (2008 year end)
HMRC asked for a meeting which was attended and then issued a letter asking for accounting book and records. After their review of the records they then asked numerous other questions but also asked for copies of the directors personal bank statements from 2005 to 2009 or for them to sign mandates so hmrc could request them from the bank.
We answered the queries hmrc raised but asked them to reconsider if they really needed the bank statements in light of the information provided in that letter.
The 'tax specialist' at HMRC has now replied stating they beleive there are cash sales undisclosed in the accounts (client is adamant there are none) and quoted various sections of the enquiry manuals and has reiterated that the bank statements need to be sent in or they will obtain them formally.
2 questions really -
Firstly, is this normal procedure to ask for these personal documents so early in the enquiry?
secondly, is it reasonable to ask for directors bank statements for periods prior to the year under enquiry for the company? Anyone got experience of this as the questions/answers from HMRC seem to be standard responses.
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 258 7
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,237 23
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,283 370
- 100% Xero practice 2,267 42
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 94 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 162 6
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 106 1
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 115 3
- Scottish but not UK 306 9
- Pension Contributions Relief 281 10
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 107 1
- What is the role of an accountant? 453 13
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 262 1
- P11D Query 150 4
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 83 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,326 25
- Company Accounts 439 8
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 98 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 295 7
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 197 4
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,220
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 429
- National Insurance 329
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 323
- Non Resident 252
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 241
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154
- Hands on experience of Digita 152