Company enquiry, Directors bank statements requested
Limited company, selected for an enquiry, (2008 year end)
HMRC asked for a meeting which was attended and then issued a letter asking for accounting book and records. After their review of the records they then asked numerous other questions but also asked for copies of the directors personal bank statements from 2005 to 2009 or for them to sign mandates so hmrc could request them from the bank.
We answered the queries hmrc raised but asked them to reconsider if they really needed the bank statements in light of the information provided in that letter.
The 'tax specialist' at HMRC has now replied stating they beleive there are cash sales undisclosed in the accounts (client is adamant there are none) and quoted various sections of the enquiry manuals and has reiterated that the bank statements need to be sent in or they will obtain them formally.
2 questions really -
Firstly, is this normal procedure to ask for these personal documents so early in the enquiry?
secondly, is it reasonable to ask for directors bank statements for periods prior to the year under enquiry for the company? Anyone got experience of this as the questions/answers from HMRC seem to be standard responses.
- Risk Indicators Survey 122 1
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 644 32
- Deceased's Tax Return to date of death 36 1
- Jointly owned property 49 1
- Unpaid Fee's 593 10
- cold file reviewer needed 306 3
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 920 17
- Professional Qualification 266 2
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 311 1
- Late Filing SA due to property income, individual was also a non dom for 15 years 182 11
- VAT margin scheme 147 11
- Auto-enrolment drivel 774 13
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 198 3
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 338 5
- Company Dividends Received 149 2
- Is Corp tax payable on legacy received by bowls Club? 150 1
- Client information from previous accountant 473 8
- Question regarding A1 Form 178 1
- Maternity allowance 86 1
- Freehold Property Depreciation 73 1
- Possible Partnership? 530
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 522
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 472
- New Fangled Penalties 328
- Clubs and Taxable Income 272
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 263
- Loans to other companies 207
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 187
- English Company Owning Property in Scotland 175
- Outsource Data Entry 158