Company enquiry, Directors bank statements requested
Limited company, selected for an enquiry, (2008 year end)
HMRC asked for a meeting which was attended and then issued a letter asking for accounting book and records. After their review of the records they then asked numerous other questions but also asked for copies of the directors personal bank statements from 2005 to 2009 or for them to sign mandates so hmrc could request them from the bank.
We answered the queries hmrc raised but asked them to reconsider if they really needed the bank statements in light of the information provided in that letter.
The 'tax specialist' at HMRC has now replied stating they beleive there are cash sales undisclosed in the accounts (client is adamant there are none) and quoted various sections of the enquiry manuals and has reiterated that the bank statements need to be sent in or they will obtain them formally.
2 questions really -
Firstly, is this normal procedure to ask for these personal documents so early in the enquiry?
secondly, is it reasonable to ask for directors bank statements for periods prior to the year under enquiry for the company? Anyone got experience of this as the questions/answers from HMRC seem to be standard responses.
- I know ... 1,212 4
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 678 18
- Tax on principal private residence 214 4
- extra 5p per mile for passengers 219 3
- What are the typical deductible expenses? 241 2
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 129 1
- Does unpaid share capital attract s455 liability? 218 4
- Personal pension contributions 245 4
- Claiming tax relief on goodwill 316 4
- RTI Filing 946 20
- Staff entertaining or not? 253 3
- Sole Trader Start Up- Employment Help 392 5
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 213 4
- IR35 and working for an EU company 129 1
- Shareholder Loan write off 452 21
- Getting advice from HMRC 653 14
- Tax calc and NIC 215 2
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,834 29
- German wanting to pay UK tax 356 3
- Employment allowance and service companies (outside IR35) 425 13
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 701
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 469
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 307
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 273
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 244
- growth voucher supplier 217
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 184
- VAT on Gaming Machines 168
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 156
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 155