Company enquiry, Directors bank statements requested
Limited company, selected for an enquiry, (2008 year end)
HMRC asked for a meeting which was attended and then issued a letter asking for accounting book and records. After their review of the records they then asked numerous other questions but also asked for copies of the directors personal bank statements from 2005 to 2009 or for them to sign mandates so hmrc could request them from the bank.
We answered the queries hmrc raised but asked them to reconsider if they really needed the bank statements in light of the information provided in that letter.
The 'tax specialist' at HMRC has now replied stating they beleive there are cash sales undisclosed in the accounts (client is adamant there are none) and quoted various sections of the enquiry manuals and has reiterated that the bank statements need to be sent in or they will obtain them formally.
2 questions really -
Firstly, is this normal procedure to ask for these personal documents so early in the enquiry?
secondly, is it reasonable to ask for directors bank statements for periods prior to the year under enquiry for the company? Anyone got experience of this as the questions/answers from HMRC seem to be standard responses.
- Director or self-employed 271 2
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,357 25
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 579 17
- Anybody still doing returns? 992 37
- BVI registered 173 4
- Closing a limited company 387 6
- Self assessment for directors 167 2
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 276 10
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,614 17
- A little knowledge 391 6
- Digita in the cloud 168 2
- Tax relief when working away 87 1
- Tax relief when working away 195 3
- Designated sole Residence 253 5
- Scratch Head 358 1
- Year end 276 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 330 13
- Clothing 648 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 179 6
- Parent and subsidiary... 212 5
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 967
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 690
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 633
- Latest phishing scam 614
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 457
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 337
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 269
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 235
- Sabbatical payments 228
- Negligible Value Claim 210