Company enquiry, Directors bank statements requested
Limited company, selected for an enquiry, (2008 year end)
HMRC asked for a meeting which was attended and then issued a letter asking for accounting book and records. After their review of the records they then asked numerous other questions but also asked for copies of the directors personal bank statements from 2005 to 2009 or for them to sign mandates so hmrc could request them from the bank.
We answered the queries hmrc raised but asked them to reconsider if they really needed the bank statements in light of the information provided in that letter.
The 'tax specialist' at HMRC has now replied stating they beleive there are cash sales undisclosed in the accounts (client is adamant there are none) and quoted various sections of the enquiry manuals and has reiterated that the bank statements need to be sent in or they will obtain them formally.
2 questions really -
Firstly, is this normal procedure to ask for these personal documents so early in the enquiry?
secondly, is it reasonable to ask for directors bank statements for periods prior to the year under enquiry for the company? Anyone got experience of this as the questions/answers from HMRC seem to be standard responses.
- Payroll experience for beginning AAT student 105 1
- Providing registered office address to clients 83 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 758 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 391 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,443 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 181 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 466 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 134 3
- What would you do in this situation? 205 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 154 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 623 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 654 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 112 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 355 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 254 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 225 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 424 6
- NOVA 559 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 288 10
- Regional Development Grant 137 4
- Bonus Bonds 396
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 386
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 299
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 263
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 196
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 191
- Company Car Lease 166
- Finance Lease 161
- Form 42 154
- Demerger Reserve 134