Company enquiry, Directors bank statements requested
Limited company, selected for an enquiry, (2008 year end)
HMRC asked for a meeting which was attended and then issued a letter asking for accounting book and records. After their review of the records they then asked numerous other questions but also asked for copies of the directors personal bank statements from 2005 to 2009 or for them to sign mandates so hmrc could request them from the bank.
We answered the queries hmrc raised but asked them to reconsider if they really needed the bank statements in light of the information provided in that letter.
The 'tax specialist' at HMRC has now replied stating they beleive there are cash sales undisclosed in the accounts (client is adamant there are none) and quoted various sections of the enquiry manuals and has reiterated that the bank statements need to be sent in or they will obtain them formally.
2 questions really -
Firstly, is this normal procedure to ask for these personal documents so early in the enquiry?
secondly, is it reasonable to ask for directors bank statements for periods prior to the year under enquiry for the company? Anyone got experience of this as the questions/answers from HMRC seem to be standard responses.
- transfer of invesments from company name to individual 127 3
- CGT on selling company shares 191 8
- Moneysoft Payroll 660 16
- Companies House Search 354 4
- Property gift to sister 277 8
- do i need an online accounting software 141 3
- VAT dergistration confirmation? 87 2
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 383 4
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,679 28
- VAT Triangulation Service UK - UK - EC 162 3
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,610 28
- Who gets the CGT deduction 288 4
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 653 9
- VAT training 390 4
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 286 7
- 31st october deadline 405 6
- RTI Late Registration query 160 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 271 2
- Payroll software 212 1
- Accounting for display stands 295 7
- NHS finance professionals 716
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 431
- Foreign Pension Contribution 407
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 390
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 388
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 346
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 308
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 292
- Incorporating doctors 231
- IFA income recognition & reporting 229