Company enquiry, Directors bank statements requested
Limited company, selected for an enquiry, (2008 year end)
HMRC asked for a meeting which was attended and then issued a letter asking for accounting book and records. After their review of the records they then asked numerous other questions but also asked for copies of the directors personal bank statements from 2005 to 2009 or for them to sign mandates so hmrc could request them from the bank.
We answered the queries hmrc raised but asked them to reconsider if they really needed the bank statements in light of the information provided in that letter.
The 'tax specialist' at HMRC has now replied stating they beleive there are cash sales undisclosed in the accounts (client is adamant there are none) and quoted various sections of the enquiry manuals and has reiterated that the bank statements need to be sent in or they will obtain them formally.
2 questions really -
Firstly, is this normal procedure to ask for these personal documents so early in the enquiry?
secondly, is it reasonable to ask for directors bank statements for periods prior to the year under enquiry for the company? Anyone got experience of this as the questions/answers from HMRC seem to be standard responses.
- When to top-up pensions? 85 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 135 3
- Support / ticketing software 305 11
- Withdrawal of a quote 259 6
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 567 14
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 288 3
- Imported goods and VAT 100 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 418 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 566 11
- Stamp Duty 136 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,828 22
- Company Number 10000000 963 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 351 5
- CGT on lost shares/scam 190 3
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 436 3
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,821 29
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 433 9
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 211 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 333 5
- Best software for small practice? 838 24
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 793
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 282
- DTA tie-breaker issue 279
- CGT for NOn UK residents 241
- Apprenticeship Levy 214
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 210
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 207
- Just checking re PSA 194
- Capital Gains personal representatives 187