Company enquiry, Directors bank statements requested
Limited company, selected for an enquiry, (2008 year end)
HMRC asked for a meeting which was attended and then issued a letter asking for accounting book and records. After their review of the records they then asked numerous other questions but also asked for copies of the directors personal bank statements from 2005 to 2009 or for them to sign mandates so hmrc could request them from the bank.
We answered the queries hmrc raised but asked them to reconsider if they really needed the bank statements in light of the information provided in that letter.
The 'tax specialist' at HMRC has now replied stating they beleive there are cash sales undisclosed in the accounts (client is adamant there are none) and quoted various sections of the enquiry manuals and has reiterated that the bank statements need to be sent in or they will obtain them formally.
2 questions really -
Firstly, is this normal procedure to ask for these personal documents so early in the enquiry?
secondly, is it reasonable to ask for directors bank statements for periods prior to the year under enquiry for the company? Anyone got experience of this as the questions/answers from HMRC seem to be standard responses.
- Financial statements accounting policies 99 2
- Scams are not always obvious 1,479 30
- Deemed Employment Payment 370 2
- Relationship between amortisation and distributable profits 125 8
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 115 5
- Little PPR calc question 163 4
- Restructuring company and Form 42 152 7
- Overpayment notice 90 1
- Design your ideal tax department 772 17
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 219 9
- Cells from many sheets 170 3
- Statutory Residence Test - is HMRC Guidance wrong? 188 5
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 175 8
- Investment company 185 6
- More RTI stuff 156 4
- Personal allowance 567 12
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 95 1
- Childcare vouchers 211 3
- Overseas company and VAT 89 2
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 104 2
- New Fangled Penalties 1,053
- Moving away from CCH software 916
- Recruitment agencies 542
- QROP pension input amounts 419
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 367
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 320
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 303
- fraud 239
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 229
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 198