Company enquiry, Directors bank statements requested
Limited company, selected for an enquiry, (2008 year end)
HMRC asked for a meeting which was attended and then issued a letter asking for accounting book and records. After their review of the records they then asked numerous other questions but also asked for copies of the directors personal bank statements from 2005 to 2009 or for them to sign mandates so hmrc could request them from the bank.
We answered the queries hmrc raised but asked them to reconsider if they really needed the bank statements in light of the information provided in that letter.
The 'tax specialist' at HMRC has now replied stating they beleive there are cash sales undisclosed in the accounts (client is adamant there are none) and quoted various sections of the enquiry manuals and has reiterated that the bank statements need to be sent in or they will obtain them formally.
2 questions really -
Firstly, is this normal procedure to ask for these personal documents so early in the enquiry?
secondly, is it reasonable to ask for directors bank statements for periods prior to the year under enquiry for the company? Anyone got experience of this as the questions/answers from HMRC seem to be standard responses.
- Tax relief for networking day out? 505 14
- SA316s 138 3
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 31 1
- Swiching tax 513 15
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 728 23
- Proposal to strike off...... 497 10
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 513 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 367 11
- Start-up cost recognition 95 1
- Lunches 208 3
- Mortgage Adviser's request 383 8
- VAT on non-denominated postage 132 3
- Generic notification message 254 6
- Property Expenses 217 7
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 819 39
- Auto Enrolment (sorry) 137 1
- Accrued salary unpaid 257 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,199 18
- Basis periods 106 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 120 2
- Construction CIS LLP Company 600
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 591
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 386
- Pensions Regulator 351
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 290
- Using the correct forms 265
- SA penalty proposals 256
- RTI - duplicate employee record 253
- Accelerated payment notices 236
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 227