Company enquiry, Directors bank statements requested
Limited company, selected for an enquiry, (2008 year end)
HMRC asked for a meeting which was attended and then issued a letter asking for accounting book and records. After their review of the records they then asked numerous other questions but also asked for copies of the directors personal bank statements from 2005 to 2009 or for them to sign mandates so hmrc could request them from the bank.
We answered the queries hmrc raised but asked them to reconsider if they really needed the bank statements in light of the information provided in that letter.
The 'tax specialist' at HMRC has now replied stating they beleive there are cash sales undisclosed in the accounts (client is adamant there are none) and quoted various sections of the enquiry manuals and has reiterated that the bank statements need to be sent in or they will obtain them formally.
2 questions really -
Firstly, is this normal procedure to ask for these personal documents so early in the enquiry?
secondly, is it reasonable to ask for directors bank statements for periods prior to the year under enquiry for the company? Anyone got experience of this as the questions/answers from HMRC seem to be standard responses.
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 374 9
- Marketing and email surprises 436 9
- The stupidity continues 1,192 64
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 751 26
- What is IRIS World like? 401 10
- Bank request To verify Accounts 111 1
- transactions after account have been closed 292 9
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 99 1
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 308 5
- Mlom bollocks 201 4
- VT Transactions Stock Issues 87 2
- Non-Europe based but want to do UK taxes 158 1
- AML report needed? 91 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 575 11
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 283 6
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 272 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 160 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,367 25
- New Employers Helpline 224 4
- Software recommendations 290 1
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 443
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 441
- WIP Software 304
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 291
- No payroll scheme in place 239
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 234
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 214
- Is there anything wrong with this? 209
- Small Part Disposal of Property 195
- Uncommercial property business 186