Company enquiry, Directors bank statements requested
Limited company, selected for an enquiry, (2008 year end)
HMRC asked for a meeting which was attended and then issued a letter asking for accounting book and records. After their review of the records they then asked numerous other questions but also asked for copies of the directors personal bank statements from 2005 to 2009 or for them to sign mandates so hmrc could request them from the bank.
We answered the queries hmrc raised but asked them to reconsider if they really needed the bank statements in light of the information provided in that letter.
The 'tax specialist' at HMRC has now replied stating they beleive there are cash sales undisclosed in the accounts (client is adamant there are none) and quoted various sections of the enquiry manuals and has reiterated that the bank statements need to be sent in or they will obtain them formally.
2 questions really -
Firstly, is this normal procedure to ask for these personal documents so early in the enquiry?
secondly, is it reasonable to ask for directors bank statements for periods prior to the year under enquiry for the company? Anyone got experience of this as the questions/answers from HMRC seem to be standard responses.
- VAT for client based in Thailand 24 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 391 12
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,778 41
- Deduction from Salary 897 25
- Directors pay adjustment from 1k to the magic 833.33 126 3
- Yorkshire Day 128 7
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 814 22
- Doctor and Locum Work 326 5
- Collection or business assets 137 2
- Deleted question? 63 1
- Accountancy Career 426 8
- Flat rate allowed but not used. 30 1
- Employee and subcontractor 190 4
- Help with HMRC investigation 379 7
- SMP reclaimable by employer 182 4
- calculation DTR restriction 126 2
- R&D tax credit claim 579 8
- Agent help line - long queues? 105 2
- Is it possible to run/own a UK based business, as a resident of Italy? 160 2
- What are options for non CA firm 3,087 66
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 688
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 544
- Cancelled 432
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 364
- Probiz 339
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 333
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 246
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 219
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 209