Company enquiry, Directors bank statements requested
Limited company, selected for an enquiry, (2008 year end)
HMRC asked for a meeting which was attended and then issued a letter asking for accounting book and records. After their review of the records they then asked numerous other questions but also asked for copies of the directors personal bank statements from 2005 to 2009 or for them to sign mandates so hmrc could request them from the bank.
We answered the queries hmrc raised but asked them to reconsider if they really needed the bank statements in light of the information provided in that letter.
The 'tax specialist' at HMRC has now replied stating they beleive there are cash sales undisclosed in the accounts (client is adamant there are none) and quoted various sections of the enquiry manuals and has reiterated that the bank statements need to be sent in or they will obtain them formally.
2 questions really -
Firstly, is this normal procedure to ask for these personal documents so early in the enquiry?
secondly, is it reasonable to ask for directors bank statements for periods prior to the year under enquiry for the company? Anyone got experience of this as the questions/answers from HMRC seem to be standard responses.
- overdrawn directors loan account 106 4
- Sole trader - bank statements 36 4
- RTI 179 6
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 250 11
- which software to use? 272 5
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 204 3
- audit for 50% associate? 40 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 709 18
- Am i Liable? 399 13
- PAYE coding notices 163 2
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 94 2
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 830 13
- Property scam victim 513 13
- Christmas party 199 2
- VAT on garage rent 356 15
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 375 4
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 195 1
- Altered PAYE cheque 311 7
- directors overdrawn loan account 124 2
- Giving a seminar 577 31
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,233
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 613
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 411
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 319
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 212
- Alphabet shares 199
- Agent fees to sell business 194
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 190
- Office recharges 155
- Tax position on lease extension 144