compensation for fees due to HMRC data loss
Can I claim fees from HMRC and if so then how?
We submitted our client's 2006-07 Employers Annual Return. It was submitted by recorded post and arrived on 25th May and therefore "on time" due to the additional seven days given. We had intended to submit online however client's filing code did not turn up until 28 May and we did not want to risk being late.
In September 2007 we received a £400 penalty and immediately appealed attaching the evidence including the signed for proof of recorded delivery. The appeal was in itself submitted by recorded post
We heard nothing until December when HMRC sent baliffs to our client to collect the penalty which by now had increased . Strangely the baliffs handed my client a statement which showed the amount of PAYE due of £2,100 (as declared on the Annual Return which they say that they had not received. The PAYE of £2,100 shown in any event paid on time on 17 May 2007)
I then on my xmas break had to telephone HMRC and spoke to a member of staff who had recently completed their "customer service" training, and who eventually deigned to inform me that they had not received the return and they had no record of the appeal. They agreed to a stay on futher balif action.I immediately then faxed a copy of the appeal and wrote again, enclosing previous appeal etc, yet again by recorded delivery.
I heard nothing until March when a further penalty notice was received. Following a telephone call at this point HMRC agreed to cancel the penalty and followed up in writingo this effect, and apologised for their errors and to be fair sent a copy to our client.
Can I claim my fees for this incident and similar incidents that might recur in future. I have not in the past attempted to claim costs however this incident took the biscuit and cost at normal charge rates in excess of £400 to resolve. By all accounts these incidences are not infrequent?
Thank you for your comments.
- Negativer Payslip Request 51 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 8,671 328
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 125 6
- Anyone out there with charity accounts experience 190 10
- Late filing penalty for personal tax return. Reasonable excuse 150 7
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 412 12
- Use of home for storage 153 3
- Mortgage deposit Gift 320 16
- Amending Share Capital 157 6
- Family loan 950 13
- Getting VAT right for a sole trader pilot 90 4
- FIFA game and making money 1,010 10
- Loan to a related company 324 14
- Being Tax relevant 525 7
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 956 4
- What should I do for 'free' 430 5
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 500 7
- Payroll provider 324 6
- Partnership to Sole Trader 116 2
- Umbrella Company 88 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,161
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 380
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 303
- National Insurance 292
- Payments on account coded out?? 255
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 248
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 227
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 217
- Non Resident 203
- Franchise income and costs 190