compensation for fees due to HMRC data loss
Can I claim fees from HMRC and if so then how?
We submitted our client's 2006-07 Employers Annual Return. It was submitted by recorded post and arrived on 25th May and therefore "on time" due to the additional seven days given. We had intended to submit online however client's filing code did not turn up until 28 May and we did not want to risk being late.
In September 2007 we received a £400 penalty and immediately appealed attaching the evidence including the signed for proof of recorded delivery. The appeal was in itself submitted by recorded post
We heard nothing until December when HMRC sent baliffs to our client to collect the penalty which by now had increased . Strangely the baliffs handed my client a statement which showed the amount of PAYE due of £2,100 (as declared on the Annual Return which they say that they had not received. The PAYE of £2,100 shown in any event paid on time on 17 May 2007)
I then on my xmas break had to telephone HMRC and spoke to a member of staff who had recently completed their "customer service" training, and who eventually deigned to inform me that they had not received the return and they had no record of the appeal. They agreed to a stay on futher balif action.I immediately then faxed a copy of the appeal and wrote again, enclosing previous appeal etc, yet again by recorded delivery.
I heard nothing until March when a further penalty notice was received. Following a telephone call at this point HMRC agreed to cancel the penalty and followed up in writingo this effect, and apologised for their errors and to be fair sent a copy to our client.
Can I claim my fees for this incident and similar incidents that might recur in future. I have not in the past attempted to claim costs however this incident took the biscuit and cost at normal charge rates in excess of £400 to resolve. By all accounts these incidences are not infrequent?
Thank you for your comments.
- BA Cabin Crew Employment Expenses 1,465 5
- How much does the company pay 80 2
- Help with CGT please 89 3
- Lack of VAT Receipt 123 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 310 6
- Benefit in Kind 304 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 324 17
- Will I need to resign? 944 11
- Cocaine anyone? 670 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 259 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 163 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 205 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 181 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 852 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 551 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 724 13
- Personal pension 453 9
- Business rates consultancy 274 4
- Wrong tax code 193 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 116 2
- Hive up 518
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 478
- corporate hierarchy 457
- Advice - 300
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 249
- WWOOFers 245
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 224
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 200
- The booking.com con 189
- Cocaine anyone? 173