compensation for fees due to HMRC data loss
Can I claim fees from HMRC and if so then how?
We submitted our client's 2006-07 Employers Annual Return. It was submitted by recorded post and arrived on 25th May and therefore "on time" due to the additional seven days given. We had intended to submit online however client's filing code did not turn up until 28 May and we did not want to risk being late.
In September 2007 we received a £400 penalty and immediately appealed attaching the evidence including the signed for proof of recorded delivery. The appeal was in itself submitted by recorded post
We heard nothing until December when HMRC sent baliffs to our client to collect the penalty which by now had increased . Strangely the baliffs handed my client a statement which showed the amount of PAYE due of £2,100 (as declared on the Annual Return which they say that they had not received. The PAYE of £2,100 shown in any event paid on time on 17 May 2007)
I then on my xmas break had to telephone HMRC and spoke to a member of staff who had recently completed their "customer service" training, and who eventually deigned to inform me that they had not received the return and they had no record of the appeal. They agreed to a stay on futher balif action.I immediately then faxed a copy of the appeal and wrote again, enclosing previous appeal etc, yet again by recorded delivery.
I heard nothing until March when a further penalty notice was received. Following a telephone call at this point HMRC agreed to cancel the penalty and followed up in writingo this effect, and apologised for their errors and to be fair sent a copy to our client.
Can I claim my fees for this incident and similar incidents that might recur in future. I have not in the past attempted to claim costs however this incident took the biscuit and cost at normal charge rates in excess of £400 to resolve. By all accounts these incidences are not infrequent?
Thank you for your comments.
- sole trader to ltd company 85 2
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 123 3
- Rogue Accountant 1,075 33
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,108 35
- Spousal transfer and PPR 305 10
- Personal bank account in limited company 233 7
- Dual taxation - usa 185 2
- My house has fallen down 455 13
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 101 1
- Timing of LTD CIS rebates 279 10
- Quickbooks Desktop - 14/15 Employment Allowance 252 7
- Inheritance Tax Advice 101 1
- Directors Salary and Directors Loan Account and RTI 112 1
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 557 8
- Getting fees, getting harder? 945 22
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 285 4
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 206 2
- Property sale split between years 159 5
- VAT charge on e-service supply 97 3
- VATMOSS filing 168 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 640
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 405
- Pensions Regulator 379
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 324
- RTI - duplicate employee record 323
- Using the correct forms 299
- SA penalty proposals 296
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 278
- Digital marketing focus group 197
- Sage Vat return box 2 187