compensation for fees due to HMRC data loss
Can I claim fees from HMRC and if so then how?
We submitted our client's 2006-07 Employers Annual Return. It was submitted by recorded post and arrived on 25th May and therefore "on time" due to the additional seven days given. We had intended to submit online however client's filing code did not turn up until 28 May and we did not want to risk being late.
In September 2007 we received a £400 penalty and immediately appealed attaching the evidence including the signed for proof of recorded delivery. The appeal was in itself submitted by recorded post
We heard nothing until December when HMRC sent baliffs to our client to collect the penalty which by now had increased . Strangely the baliffs handed my client a statement which showed the amount of PAYE due of £2,100 (as declared on the Annual Return which they say that they had not received. The PAYE of £2,100 shown in any event paid on time on 17 May 2007)
I then on my xmas break had to telephone HMRC and spoke to a member of staff who had recently completed their "customer service" training, and who eventually deigned to inform me that they had not received the return and they had no record of the appeal. They agreed to a stay on futher balif action.I immediately then faxed a copy of the appeal and wrote again, enclosing previous appeal etc, yet again by recorded delivery.
I heard nothing until March when a further penalty notice was received. Following a telephone call at this point HMRC agreed to cancel the penalty and followed up in writingo this effect, and apologised for their errors and to be fair sent a copy to our client.
Can I claim my fees for this incident and similar incidents that might recur in future. I have not in the past attempted to claim costs however this incident took the biscuit and cost at normal charge rates in excess of £400 to resolve. By all accounts these incidences are not infrequent?
Thank you for your comments.
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 512 13
- Goodwill 97 4
- first year company tax return for a limited company 419 21
- One off meeting new client 128 2
- Incorporation Relief 190 5
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 43 1
- Interest on loans between companies 64 2
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 190 2
- Filing company accounts – basis of trade 166 2
- Best apps for clients 765 6
- Unallocated client money 350 9
- change of office address 232 7
- Property initial recognition 58 1
- Consolidation and Comparatives 36 1
- SAGE V12 116 2
- Errors in prior year accounts 743 19
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 226 5
- Expenses Apps 213 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 275 6
- CG34 Post Transaction Valuation, CGT and Entrepreneurs Relief 228 9
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 608
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 499
- Sorry ignore me 402
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 371
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 284
- Cancelled 256
- Cancelled 227
- Bartercard 188
- C79 Discrepancy 180
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 168