compensation for fees due to HMRC data loss
Can I claim fees from HMRC and if so then how?
We submitted our client's 2006-07 Employers Annual Return. It was submitted by recorded post and arrived on 25th May and therefore "on time" due to the additional seven days given. We had intended to submit online however client's filing code did not turn up until 28 May and we did not want to risk being late.
In September 2007 we received a £400 penalty and immediately appealed attaching the evidence including the signed for proof of recorded delivery. The appeal was in itself submitted by recorded post
We heard nothing until December when HMRC sent baliffs to our client to collect the penalty which by now had increased . Strangely the baliffs handed my client a statement which showed the amount of PAYE due of £2,100 (as declared on the Annual Return which they say that they had not received. The PAYE of £2,100 shown in any event paid on time on 17 May 2007)
I then on my xmas break had to telephone HMRC and spoke to a member of staff who had recently completed their "customer service" training, and who eventually deigned to inform me that they had not received the return and they had no record of the appeal. They agreed to a stay on futher balif action.I immediately then faxed a copy of the appeal and wrote again, enclosing previous appeal etc, yet again by recorded delivery.
I heard nothing until March when a further penalty notice was received. Following a telephone call at this point HMRC agreed to cancel the penalty and followed up in writingo this effect, and apologised for their errors and to be fair sent a copy to our client.
Can I claim my fees for this incident and similar incidents that might recur in future. I have not in the past attempted to claim costs however this incident took the biscuit and cost at normal charge rates in excess of £400 to resolve. By all accounts these incidences are not infrequent?
Thank you for your comments.
- Company pays me the mileage rate of a company vehicle 125 2
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 405 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 137 3
- Registered Office 161 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,491 23
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 319 5
- Partnership Registration 121 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 914 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 126 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 694 12
- Audit Required 1,190 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 318 9
- Residential Management Companies 100 2
- Value pricing 2,864 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 403 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 400 11
- Payroll software for Mac 127 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 127 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 221 5
- CIS and Close Company 211 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 948
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 662
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 408
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 335
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 264
- Paye procedures for CVA 253
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 251
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 203
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 195
- Pension Fixed Protection 190