compensation for fees due to HMRC data loss
Can I claim fees from HMRC and if so then how?
We submitted our client's 2006-07 Employers Annual Return. It was submitted by recorded post and arrived on 25th May and therefore "on time" due to the additional seven days given. We had intended to submit online however client's filing code did not turn up until 28 May and we did not want to risk being late.
In September 2007 we received a £400 penalty and immediately appealed attaching the evidence including the signed for proof of recorded delivery. The appeal was in itself submitted by recorded post
We heard nothing until December when HMRC sent baliffs to our client to collect the penalty which by now had increased . Strangely the baliffs handed my client a statement which showed the amount of PAYE due of £2,100 (as declared on the Annual Return which they say that they had not received. The PAYE of £2,100 shown in any event paid on time on 17 May 2007)
I then on my xmas break had to telephone HMRC and spoke to a member of staff who had recently completed their "customer service" training, and who eventually deigned to inform me that they had not received the return and they had no record of the appeal. They agreed to a stay on futher balif action.I immediately then faxed a copy of the appeal and wrote again, enclosing previous appeal etc, yet again by recorded delivery.
I heard nothing until March when a further penalty notice was received. Following a telephone call at this point HMRC agreed to cancel the penalty and followed up in writingo this effect, and apologised for their errors and to be fair sent a copy to our client.
Can I claim my fees for this incident and similar incidents that might recur in future. I have not in the past attempted to claim costs however this incident took the biscuit and cost at normal charge rates in excess of £400 to resolve. By all accounts these incidences are not infrequent?
Thank you for your comments.
- Dispensation pointless ? 225 4
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 522 16
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 574 11
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 181 4
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 302 6
- Charge out rates in London? 167 2
- Accounting jobs in the UK 62 1
- Negative retained earnings & Dividends 121 3
- pre letting expenses 149 2
- Expat working back in UK 94 3
- Are contractor travel expenses 84 1
- Who owns SAGE Data? 405 8
- Audit Exemption new rules 273 6
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 98 3
- change of paye software 509 13
- Which software for practice books? 468 19
- Several employments - large tax bill remaining 242 4
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 529 2
- share capital calculation 281 14
- Renting property to yourself 460 12
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 738
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 475
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 290
- How to format a stock book 252
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 206
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 203
- Tax efficient holding company structure 190
- Investment property company accounts template 186
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 178
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 163