compensation for fees due to HMRC data loss
Can I claim fees from HMRC and if so then how?
We submitted our client's 2006-07 Employers Annual Return. It was submitted by recorded post and arrived on 25th May and therefore "on time" due to the additional seven days given. We had intended to submit online however client's filing code did not turn up until 28 May and we did not want to risk being late.
In September 2007 we received a £400 penalty and immediately appealed attaching the evidence including the signed for proof of recorded delivery. The appeal was in itself submitted by recorded post
We heard nothing until December when HMRC sent baliffs to our client to collect the penalty which by now had increased . Strangely the baliffs handed my client a statement which showed the amount of PAYE due of £2,100 (as declared on the Annual Return which they say that they had not received. The PAYE of £2,100 shown in any event paid on time on 17 May 2007)
I then on my xmas break had to telephone HMRC and spoke to a member of staff who had recently completed their "customer service" training, and who eventually deigned to inform me that they had not received the return and they had no record of the appeal. They agreed to a stay on futher balif action.I immediately then faxed a copy of the appeal and wrote again, enclosing previous appeal etc, yet again by recorded delivery.
I heard nothing until March when a further penalty notice was received. Following a telephone call at this point HMRC agreed to cancel the penalty and followed up in writingo this effect, and apologised for their errors and to be fair sent a copy to our client.
Can I claim my fees for this incident and similar incidents that might recur in future. I have not in the past attempted to claim costs however this incident took the biscuit and cost at normal charge rates in excess of £400 to resolve. By all accounts these incidences are not infrequent?
Thank you for your comments.
- Deleted question? 721 19
- Accounts Question 85 4
- What are options for non CA firm 3,165 67
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,929 69
- MAAT vs ACCA 692 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,387 24
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,916 46
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 642 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 430 4
- VAT Return Errors 167 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 115 5
- inflation rate year on year 142 3
- Yorkshire Day 595 38
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 181 4
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 178 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 378 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 145 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 290 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 236 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 152 1
- Cancelled 468
- Cancelled 385
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 375
- Probiz 356
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 260
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 236
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 229
- More spam 183
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 161
- Employee Benefit Trust 151