compensation for fees due to HMRC data loss
Can I claim fees from HMRC and if so then how?
We submitted our client's 2006-07 Employers Annual Return. It was submitted by recorded post and arrived on 25th May and therefore "on time" due to the additional seven days given. We had intended to submit online however client's filing code did not turn up until 28 May and we did not want to risk being late.
In September 2007 we received a £400 penalty and immediately appealed attaching the evidence including the signed for proof of recorded delivery. The appeal was in itself submitted by recorded post
We heard nothing until December when HMRC sent baliffs to our client to collect the penalty which by now had increased . Strangely the baliffs handed my client a statement which showed the amount of PAYE due of £2,100 (as declared on the Annual Return which they say that they had not received. The PAYE of £2,100 shown in any event paid on time on 17 May 2007)
I then on my xmas break had to telephone HMRC and spoke to a member of staff who had recently completed their "customer service" training, and who eventually deigned to inform me that they had not received the return and they had no record of the appeal. They agreed to a stay on futher balif action.I immediately then faxed a copy of the appeal and wrote again, enclosing previous appeal etc, yet again by recorded delivery.
I heard nothing until March when a further penalty notice was received. Following a telephone call at this point HMRC agreed to cancel the penalty and followed up in writingo this effect, and apologised for their errors and to be fair sent a copy to our client.
Can I claim my fees for this incident and similar incidents that might recur in future. I have not in the past attempted to claim costs however this incident took the biscuit and cost at normal charge rates in excess of £400 to resolve. By all accounts these incidences are not infrequent?
Thank you for your comments.
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 214 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 478 22
- Voluntary Disclosure 65 1
- Director registration for SA question 389 15
- valuation of vehicles 379 16
- Business only use of company car 670 26
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 90 2
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 498 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 289 4
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 925 29
- New Company reviews please 525 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 293 4
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 186 2
- VAT with Russia 193 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 228 4
- Money Laundering Manual 299 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 238 2
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,102 29
- directors loan 337 8
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 368 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 291
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 241
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 237
- Any thoughts on Capium? 219
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 216
- auto enrolment 184
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 174
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 150
- How to account for investment in JV? 148
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 146