compensation for fees due to HMRC data loss
Can I claim fees from HMRC and if so then how?
We submitted our client's 2006-07 Employers Annual Return. It was submitted by recorded post and arrived on 25th May and therefore "on time" due to the additional seven days given. We had intended to submit online however client's filing code did not turn up until 28 May and we did not want to risk being late.
In September 2007 we received a £400 penalty and immediately appealed attaching the evidence including the signed for proof of recorded delivery. The appeal was in itself submitted by recorded post
We heard nothing until December when HMRC sent baliffs to our client to collect the penalty which by now had increased . Strangely the baliffs handed my client a statement which showed the amount of PAYE due of £2,100 (as declared on the Annual Return which they say that they had not received. The PAYE of £2,100 shown in any event paid on time on 17 May 2007)
I then on my xmas break had to telephone HMRC and spoke to a member of staff who had recently completed their "customer service" training, and who eventually deigned to inform me that they had not received the return and they had no record of the appeal. They agreed to a stay on futher balif action.I immediately then faxed a copy of the appeal and wrote again, enclosing previous appeal etc, yet again by recorded delivery.
I heard nothing until March when a further penalty notice was received. Following a telephone call at this point HMRC agreed to cancel the penalty and followed up in writingo this effect, and apologised for their errors and to be fair sent a copy to our client.
Can I claim my fees for this incident and similar incidents that might recur in future. I have not in the past attempted to claim costs however this incident took the biscuit and cost at normal charge rates in excess of £400 to resolve. By all accounts these incidences are not infrequent?
Thank you for your comments.
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,184 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 211 6
- Xerocon 2016 1,001 23
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 217 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 579 12
- Personal Tax 478 11
- USA Tax Query 149 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,657 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 940 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 266 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 594 18
- Corrupt Excel File 673 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 347 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,974 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 290 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 399 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 161 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 311 4
- last minute request 500 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,253 46