compensation for fees due to HMRC data loss
Can I claim fees from HMRC and if so then how?
We submitted our client's 2006-07 Employers Annual Return. It was submitted by recorded post and arrived on 25th May and therefore "on time" due to the additional seven days given. We had intended to submit online however client's filing code did not turn up until 28 May and we did not want to risk being late.
In September 2007 we received a £400 penalty and immediately appealed attaching the evidence including the signed for proof of recorded delivery. The appeal was in itself submitted by recorded post
We heard nothing until December when HMRC sent baliffs to our client to collect the penalty which by now had increased . Strangely the baliffs handed my client a statement which showed the amount of PAYE due of £2,100 (as declared on the Annual Return which they say that they had not received. The PAYE of £2,100 shown in any event paid on time on 17 May 2007)
I then on my xmas break had to telephone HMRC and spoke to a member of staff who had recently completed their "customer service" training, and who eventually deigned to inform me that they had not received the return and they had no record of the appeal. They agreed to a stay on futher balif action.I immediately then faxed a copy of the appeal and wrote again, enclosing previous appeal etc, yet again by recorded delivery.
I heard nothing until March when a further penalty notice was received. Following a telephone call at this point HMRC agreed to cancel the penalty and followed up in writingo this effect, and apologised for their errors and to be fair sent a copy to our client.
Can I claim my fees for this incident and similar incidents that might recur in future. I have not in the past attempted to claim costs however this incident took the biscuit and cost at normal charge rates in excess of £400 to resolve. By all accounts these incidences are not infrequent?
Thank you for your comments.
- Husband Wife let property 207 6
- Budget 2015 predictions 309 7
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 298 7
- Transfer of properties to a limited company stamp duty 28 1
- Freehold Property Depreciation 384 16
- How do I save face? 304 7
- Employee invoicing employer 42 1
- Goodie bag 521 18
- Warning - Spam "from" ICAEW 512 3
- brightpay? 115 1
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 271 3
- Director unable to work through illness 127 1
- Amending supplier account code in Sage 50 229 6
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 371 8
- Tennants in Common - Changing % Share 136 2
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 275 1
- Claiming VAT without invoice 409 5
- Directors loan - no longer a director 395 5
- Career in Practice 233 5
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 96 2
- Possible Partnership? 614
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 503
- New Fangled Penalties 418
- Clubs and Taxable Income 338
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 307
- Loans to other companies 249
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 234
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 222
- Outsource Data Entry 217
- Fuming! 212