compensation for fees due to HMRC data loss
Can I claim fees from HMRC and if so then how?
We submitted our client's 2006-07 Employers Annual Return. It was submitted by recorded post and arrived on 25th May and therefore "on time" due to the additional seven days given. We had intended to submit online however client's filing code did not turn up until 28 May and we did not want to risk being late.
In September 2007 we received a £400 penalty and immediately appealed attaching the evidence including the signed for proof of recorded delivery. The appeal was in itself submitted by recorded post
We heard nothing until December when HMRC sent baliffs to our client to collect the penalty which by now had increased . Strangely the baliffs handed my client a statement which showed the amount of PAYE due of £2,100 (as declared on the Annual Return which they say that they had not received. The PAYE of £2,100 shown in any event paid on time on 17 May 2007)
I then on my xmas break had to telephone HMRC and spoke to a member of staff who had recently completed their "customer service" training, and who eventually deigned to inform me that they had not received the return and they had no record of the appeal. They agreed to a stay on futher balif action.I immediately then faxed a copy of the appeal and wrote again, enclosing previous appeal etc, yet again by recorded delivery.
I heard nothing until March when a further penalty notice was received. Following a telephone call at this point HMRC agreed to cancel the penalty and followed up in writingo this effect, and apologised for their errors and to be fair sent a copy to our client.
Can I claim my fees for this incident and similar incidents that might recur in future. I have not in the past attempted to claim costs however this incident took the biscuit and cost at normal charge rates in excess of £400 to resolve. By all accounts these incidences are not infrequent?
Thank you for your comments.
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,821 43
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 438 16
- Time to ditch Sage? 299 5
- Losses carry forward to self employed 68 1
- Fees 332 3
- Agent Authorisation Issue 255 3
- HMRC Post 542 7
- Transactions with directors 454 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 292 9
- Non VAT invoices 217 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 220 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,404 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 264 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 233 2
- Form 17 Download 169 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 567 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 387 4
- HMRC Information notice 1,000 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 288 3
- Accountant Specialization. 406 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 765
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 416
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 366
- Electric Car 302
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 212
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 185
- AIA 181
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 180