compensation for fees due to HMRC data loss
Can I claim fees from HMRC and if so then how?
We submitted our client's 2006-07 Employers Annual Return. It was submitted by recorded post and arrived on 25th May and therefore "on time" due to the additional seven days given. We had intended to submit online however client's filing code did not turn up until 28 May and we did not want to risk being late.
In September 2007 we received a £400 penalty and immediately appealed attaching the evidence including the signed for proof of recorded delivery. The appeal was in itself submitted by recorded post
We heard nothing until December when HMRC sent baliffs to our client to collect the penalty which by now had increased . Strangely the baliffs handed my client a statement which showed the amount of PAYE due of £2,100 (as declared on the Annual Return which they say that they had not received. The PAYE of £2,100 shown in any event paid on time on 17 May 2007)
I then on my xmas break had to telephone HMRC and spoke to a member of staff who had recently completed their "customer service" training, and who eventually deigned to inform me that they had not received the return and they had no record of the appeal. They agreed to a stay on futher balif action.I immediately then faxed a copy of the appeal and wrote again, enclosing previous appeal etc, yet again by recorded delivery.
I heard nothing until March when a further penalty notice was received. Following a telephone call at this point HMRC agreed to cancel the penalty and followed up in writingo this effect, and apologised for their errors and to be fair sent a copy to our client.
Can I claim my fees for this incident and similar incidents that might recur in future. I have not in the past attempted to claim costs however this incident took the biscuit and cost at normal charge rates in excess of £400 to resolve. By all accounts these incidences are not infrequent?
Thank you for your comments.
- Family Partnership 269 9
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 137 5
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 181 6
- Business trips - director and family 409 3
- Multiple for fee bank purchase 64 1
- Signed accounts for bank 653 15
- flat rate scheme 2,361 50
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 156 2
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 322 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 154 2
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 71 2
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 202 4
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 845 12
- Business lending another business money (UK) 293 7
- Deferring dividends on paper 187 5
- VAT Query on new build 115 1
- How to format Co-operative Accounts 107 1
- P11D Car Value 269 6
- NOVA declaration 110 1
- Business valuation advice 710 18