compensation for fees due to HMRC data loss
Can I claim fees from HMRC and if so then how?
We submitted our client's 2006-07 Employers Annual Return. It was submitted by recorded post and arrived on 25th May and therefore "on time" due to the additional seven days given. We had intended to submit online however client's filing code did not turn up until 28 May and we did not want to risk being late.
In September 2007 we received a £400 penalty and immediately appealed attaching the evidence including the signed for proof of recorded delivery. The appeal was in itself submitted by recorded post
We heard nothing until December when HMRC sent baliffs to our client to collect the penalty which by now had increased . Strangely the baliffs handed my client a statement which showed the amount of PAYE due of £2,100 (as declared on the Annual Return which they say that they had not received. The PAYE of £2,100 shown in any event paid on time on 17 May 2007)
I then on my xmas break had to telephone HMRC and spoke to a member of staff who had recently completed their "customer service" training, and who eventually deigned to inform me that they had not received the return and they had no record of the appeal. They agreed to a stay on futher balif action.I immediately then faxed a copy of the appeal and wrote again, enclosing previous appeal etc, yet again by recorded delivery.
I heard nothing until March when a further penalty notice was received. Following a telephone call at this point HMRC agreed to cancel the penalty and followed up in writingo this effect, and apologised for their errors and to be fair sent a copy to our client.
Can I claim my fees for this incident and similar incidents that might recur in future. I have not in the past attempted to claim costs however this incident took the biscuit and cost at normal charge rates in excess of £400 to resolve. By all accounts these incidences are not infrequent?
Thank you for your comments.
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 32 1
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,243 19
- Scanners 158 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 59 1
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 136 5
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 225 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 397 9
- Payment plans for clients 90 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 220 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 219 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 389 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 434 9
- P60 or payslips? 81 1
- Property income in different capacities 95 1
- IHT dilemma 1,381 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 185 1
- IT advisory questions? 169 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 792 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 127 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 523 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,156
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 795
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 484
- Digita Hosted Software 319
- Credit where credit's due....... 269
- Director phone costs 230
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 225
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 192
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 150
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 133