compensation for fees due to HMRC data loss
Can I claim fees from HMRC and if so then how?
We submitted our client's 2006-07 Employers Annual Return. It was submitted by recorded post and arrived on 25th May and therefore "on time" due to the additional seven days given. We had intended to submit online however client's filing code did not turn up until 28 May and we did not want to risk being late.
In September 2007 we received a £400 penalty and immediately appealed attaching the evidence including the signed for proof of recorded delivery. The appeal was in itself submitted by recorded post
We heard nothing until December when HMRC sent baliffs to our client to collect the penalty which by now had increased . Strangely the baliffs handed my client a statement which showed the amount of PAYE due of £2,100 (as declared on the Annual Return which they say that they had not received. The PAYE of £2,100 shown in any event paid on time on 17 May 2007)
I then on my xmas break had to telephone HMRC and spoke to a member of staff who had recently completed their "customer service" training, and who eventually deigned to inform me that they had not received the return and they had no record of the appeal. They agreed to a stay on futher balif action.I immediately then faxed a copy of the appeal and wrote again, enclosing previous appeal etc, yet again by recorded delivery.
I heard nothing until March when a further penalty notice was received. Following a telephone call at this point HMRC agreed to cancel the penalty and followed up in writingo this effect, and apologised for their errors and to be fair sent a copy to our client.
Can I claim my fees for this incident and similar incidents that might recur in future. I have not in the past attempted to claim costs however this incident took the biscuit and cost at normal charge rates in excess of £400 to resolve. By all accounts these incidences are not infrequent?
Thank you for your comments.
- Flat Conversion Allowance 55 1
- Practice management 141 1
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 211 4
- Conversion from UK GAAP to IFRS 82 1
- IHT and cash gifts 57 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 134 7
- Clothing 158 4
- VAT registration transfer 149 3
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 576 30
- Sponsorship & VAT 86 1
- CT/CO'S HOUSE DATES ALLIGNMENT 100 2
- Director drawings 395 31
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 323 3
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 95 1
- HMRC SA302s 204 3
- What does the "K" signify 433 7
- Director or self-employed 152 1
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 127 3
- Reporting foreign income in Self-Assessment Tax Return 142 3
- What sectors to target? 204 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 905
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 610
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 577
- Latest phishing scam 531
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 378
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 343
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 281
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 199
- Capital allowances in first basis period 188
- Sabbatical payments 175