compensation for fees due to HMRC data loss
Can I claim fees from HMRC and if so then how?
We submitted our client's 2006-07 Employers Annual Return. It was submitted by recorded post and arrived on 25th May and therefore "on time" due to the additional seven days given. We had intended to submit online however client's filing code did not turn up until 28 May and we did not want to risk being late.
In September 2007 we received a £400 penalty and immediately appealed attaching the evidence including the signed for proof of recorded delivery. The appeal was in itself submitted by recorded post
We heard nothing until December when HMRC sent baliffs to our client to collect the penalty which by now had increased . Strangely the baliffs handed my client a statement which showed the amount of PAYE due of £2,100 (as declared on the Annual Return which they say that they had not received. The PAYE of £2,100 shown in any event paid on time on 17 May 2007)
I then on my xmas break had to telephone HMRC and spoke to a member of staff who had recently completed their "customer service" training, and who eventually deigned to inform me that they had not received the return and they had no record of the appeal. They agreed to a stay on futher balif action.I immediately then faxed a copy of the appeal and wrote again, enclosing previous appeal etc, yet again by recorded delivery.
I heard nothing until March when a further penalty notice was received. Following a telephone call at this point HMRC agreed to cancel the penalty and followed up in writingo this effect, and apologised for their errors and to be fair sent a copy to our client.
Can I claim my fees for this incident and similar incidents that might recur in future. I have not in the past attempted to claim costs however this incident took the biscuit and cost at normal charge rates in excess of £400 to resolve. By all accounts these incidences are not infrequent?
Thank you for your comments.
- Personal allowance 391 10
- Workshops centred around Xero 453 12
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 131 3
- Scams are not always obvious 682 19
- RTI, no payroll but BIK 104 1
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 98 2
- VAT on long lease in comercial property thathas opted to Tax 85 3
- Related party disclosures 162 3
- Input vat on my fees after deregistration 176 2
- Charity Buildings and Zero-rated Vat 71 1
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 606 17
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 214 4
- Vat query - EU customer requesting invoice without charging vat 242 8
- Is this legal? 619 9
- Market Value/Connected Persons 180 7
- Saying NO to a time wasters 1,987 23
- Cells from many sheets 123 2
- Taxation of rental income 198 4
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 135 6
- Childcare vouchers 99 1
- New Fangled Penalties 1,041
- Moving away from CCH software 902
- Recruitment agencies 526
- QROP pension input amounts 410
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 362
- Deemed Employment Payment 344
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 307
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 298
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 217
- fraud 213