compensation for fees due to HMRC data loss
Can I claim fees from HMRC and if so then how?
We submitted our client's 2006-07 Employers Annual Return. It was submitted by recorded post and arrived on 25th May and therefore "on time" due to the additional seven days given. We had intended to submit online however client's filing code did not turn up until 28 May and we did not want to risk being late.
In September 2007 we received a £400 penalty and immediately appealed attaching the evidence including the signed for proof of recorded delivery. The appeal was in itself submitted by recorded post
We heard nothing until December when HMRC sent baliffs to our client to collect the penalty which by now had increased . Strangely the baliffs handed my client a statement which showed the amount of PAYE due of £2,100 (as declared on the Annual Return which they say that they had not received. The PAYE of £2,100 shown in any event paid on time on 17 May 2007)
I then on my xmas break had to telephone HMRC and spoke to a member of staff who had recently completed their "customer service" training, and who eventually deigned to inform me that they had not received the return and they had no record of the appeal. They agreed to a stay on futher balif action.I immediately then faxed a copy of the appeal and wrote again, enclosing previous appeal etc, yet again by recorded delivery.
I heard nothing until March when a further penalty notice was received. Following a telephone call at this point HMRC agreed to cancel the penalty and followed up in writingo this effect, and apologised for their errors and to be fair sent a copy to our client.
Can I claim my fees for this incident and similar incidents that might recur in future. I have not in the past attempted to claim costs however this incident took the biscuit and cost at normal charge rates in excess of £400 to resolve. By all accounts these incidences are not infrequent?
Thank you for your comments.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 709 5
- See you all on the other side 735 6
- 12Pay 501 2
- dividends 704 2
- R&D 355 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,214 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 468 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 458 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 410 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 567 5
- Seeking a tax case 674 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 537 4
- Companies house strike off 628 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 473 2
- Moving to the cloud 773 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 224 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 933 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 231 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,112 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 524 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 571
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 427
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 378
- IRIS and FRS 102 361
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 343
- Capitalising Finance Lease 339
- Marginal rates of tax 327
- USA help 326
- Class 2 NI 318
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 302