Compensation for HMRC errors
One of my clients has just received a £400 penalty notice for not filing a P35. They chuck these letters around like confetti at this time of year and a high percentage of them are always wrong. Needless to say he was not very pleased. The tone of his e-mail was distinctly stroppy. Thing is, I DID file his PAYE returns on time and have the confirmation e-mail from HMRC to prove it, dated 9 May. And it wasn't a test transmission. Also, looking at his PAYE record on the HMRC system, it confirms that they were submitted on 9 May.
I want compensation for this but as I understand it you can only claim for additional fees charged to your client as a result of their errors. I presume they then make the refund direct to the client and you have to bill them. So I will need to write (as his agent) with a copy of my invoice. Four questions here:
1) What is the procedure? Is a simple letter to the originating tax office sufficient?
2) What is the going rate? I was thinking £100 plus VAT (as the input tax is technically irrecoverable).
3) Can my client make an additional claim for "distress" caused by their error? I believe that's the magic word you have to use. If so, how much is realistic in a case like this?
4) How could this have happened? Why didn't their confirmation of submission "close" the PAYE account?
Shame I can't claim anything for my own distress after getting his e-mail. I see they don't send these letters to agents but only advise taxpayers to show them the notice. If they had sent it to me first I could have told them it was wrong. My client wants to keep 50% of the £100 fee as his share, but perhaps I can get 50% of his claim for distress if it is successful!
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,969 45
- Love is in the air 197 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,665 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 239 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 365 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 393 5
- Client Paperwork Retention? 492 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 146 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 516 1
- Paying Son 639 18
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 341 7
- HMRC accounting 277 3
- Employers NI allowance 453 6
- Dividend taxation 276 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 186 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 184 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 168 3
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 450 4
- iris update 11.9.2 453 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 282 3
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 275
- CGT for NOn UK residents 273
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 262
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 245
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 233
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 209
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 187