Compensation for HMRC errors
One of my clients has just received a £400 penalty notice for not filing a P35. They chuck these letters around like confetti at this time of year and a high percentage of them are always wrong. Needless to say he was not very pleased. The tone of his e-mail was distinctly stroppy. Thing is, I DID file his PAYE returns on time and have the confirmation e-mail from HMRC to prove it, dated 9 May. And it wasn't a test transmission. Also, looking at his PAYE record on the HMRC system, it confirms that they were submitted on 9 May.
I want compensation for this but as I understand it you can only claim for additional fees charged to your client as a result of their errors. I presume they then make the refund direct to the client and you have to bill them. So I will need to write (as his agent) with a copy of my invoice. Four questions here:
1) What is the procedure? Is a simple letter to the originating tax office sufficient?
2) What is the going rate? I was thinking £100 plus VAT (as the input tax is technically irrecoverable).
3) Can my client make an additional claim for "distress" caused by their error? I believe that's the magic word you have to use. If so, how much is realistic in a case like this?
4) How could this have happened? Why didn't their confirmation of submission "close" the PAYE account?
Shame I can't claim anything for my own distress after getting his e-mail. I see they don't send these letters to agents but only advise taxpayers to show them the notice. If they had sent it to me first I could have told them it was wrong. My client wants to keep 50% of the £100 fee as his share, but perhaps I can get 50% of his claim for distress if it is successful!
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,684 39
- Holiday Pay whilst on Mat Leave 66 1
- Accounts Software 127 5
- HMRC Agents Line 194 4
- calculation DTR restriction 77 1
- Company Director In Prison 444 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 64 1
- AWeb - download file 166 3
- Charity work 233 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 245 6
- Director Drawings 161 5
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 262 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 225 7
- Collection or business assets 103 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 269 8
- Tax position re this lease? 371 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 725 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 104 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,675 70
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 90 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 677
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 518
- Cancelled 427
- Cancelled 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 335
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 327
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 243
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 215
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 203