Compensation for HMRC errors
One of my clients has just received a £400 penalty notice for not filing a P35. They chuck these letters around like confetti at this time of year and a high percentage of them are always wrong. Needless to say he was not very pleased. The tone of his e-mail was distinctly stroppy. Thing is, I DID file his PAYE returns on time and have the confirmation e-mail from HMRC to prove it, dated 9 May. And it wasn't a test transmission. Also, looking at his PAYE record on the HMRC system, it confirms that they were submitted on 9 May.
I want compensation for this but as I understand it you can only claim for additional fees charged to your client as a result of their errors. I presume they then make the refund direct to the client and you have to bill them. So I will need to write (as his agent) with a copy of my invoice. Four questions here:
1) What is the procedure? Is a simple letter to the originating tax office sufficient?
2) What is the going rate? I was thinking £100 plus VAT (as the input tax is technically irrecoverable).
3) Can my client make an additional claim for "distress" caused by their error? I believe that's the magic word you have to use. If so, how much is realistic in a case like this?
4) How could this have happened? Why didn't their confirmation of submission "close" the PAYE account?
Shame I can't claim anything for my own distress after getting his e-mail. I see they don't send these letters to agents but only advise taxpayers to show them the notice. If they had sent it to me first I could have told them it was wrong. My client wants to keep 50% of the £100 fee as his share, but perhaps I can get 50% of his claim for distress if it is successful!
- FHL - hedge purchase 101 1
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 522 18
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 266 3
- Fees 466 6
- HMRC Post 581 8
- Time to ditch Sage? 435 8
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 180 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 442 8
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 290 3
- www.pool.adzio 162 2
- Losses carry forward to self employed 190 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,880 43
- Agent Authorisation Issue 286 3
- Transactions with directors 481 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 314 9
- Non VAT invoices 250 4
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,436 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 281 5
- Form 17 Download 198 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 600 28
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 768
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 420
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 371
- Electric Car 304
- S222 Charge 251
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 215
- IP trans to holding company 197
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 191
- AIA 189
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 183