Compensation for HMRC errors
One of my clients has just received a £400 penalty notice for not filing a P35. They chuck these letters around like confetti at this time of year and a high percentage of them are always wrong. Needless to say he was not very pleased. The tone of his e-mail was distinctly stroppy. Thing is, I DID file his PAYE returns on time and have the confirmation e-mail from HMRC to prove it, dated 9 May. And it wasn't a test transmission. Also, looking at his PAYE record on the HMRC system, it confirms that they were submitted on 9 May.
I want compensation for this but as I understand it you can only claim for additional fees charged to your client as a result of their errors. I presume they then make the refund direct to the client and you have to bill them. So I will need to write (as his agent) with a copy of my invoice. Four questions here:
1) What is the procedure? Is a simple letter to the originating tax office sufficient?
2) What is the going rate? I was thinking £100 plus VAT (as the input tax is technically irrecoverable).
3) Can my client make an additional claim for "distress" caused by their error? I believe that's the magic word you have to use. If so, how much is realistic in a case like this?
4) How could this have happened? Why didn't their confirmation of submission "close" the PAYE account?
Shame I can't claim anything for my own distress after getting his e-mail. I see they don't send these letters to agents but only advise taxpayers to show them the notice. If they had sent it to me first I could have told them it was wrong. My client wants to keep 50% of the £100 fee as his share, but perhaps I can get 50% of his claim for distress if it is successful!
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 200 3
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 601 13
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 230 4
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 306 4
- Closing my business down 96 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 851 34
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 305 6
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 192 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 118 1
- Scams are not always obvious 2,242 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,472 21
- VAT flat rate scheme 116 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 295 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 91 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,097 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 417 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 160 1
- FPS or EPS 176 2
- Continuity of Practice 228 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 148 2
- Moving away from CCH software 956
- QROP pension input amounts 442
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 385
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 359
- fraud 287
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 261
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 230
- Construction CIS LLP Company 215
- EPS and CIS deductions 202
- Out of time or not? 183