Compensation for HMRC errors
One of my clients has just received a £400 penalty notice for not filing a P35. They chuck these letters around like confetti at this time of year and a high percentage of them are always wrong. Needless to say he was not very pleased. The tone of his e-mail was distinctly stroppy. Thing is, I DID file his PAYE returns on time and have the confirmation e-mail from HMRC to prove it, dated 9 May. And it wasn't a test transmission. Also, looking at his PAYE record on the HMRC system, it confirms that they were submitted on 9 May.
I want compensation for this but as I understand it you can only claim for additional fees charged to your client as a result of their errors. I presume they then make the refund direct to the client and you have to bill them. So I will need to write (as his agent) with a copy of my invoice. Four questions here:
1) What is the procedure? Is a simple letter to the originating tax office sufficient?
2) What is the going rate? I was thinking £100 plus VAT (as the input tax is technically irrecoverable).
3) Can my client make an additional claim for "distress" caused by their error? I believe that's the magic word you have to use. If so, how much is realistic in a case like this?
4) How could this have happened? Why didn't their confirmation of submission "close" the PAYE account?
Shame I can't claim anything for my own distress after getting his e-mail. I see they don't send these letters to agents but only advise taxpayers to show them the notice. If they had sent it to me first I could have told them it was wrong. My client wants to keep 50% of the £100 fee as his share, but perhaps I can get 50% of his claim for distress if it is successful!
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 489 8
- Seeking advice: Retired self employed working from home 280 3
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 296 12
- Moneysoft Payroll 218 4
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 130 2
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 932 20
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 262 4
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 944 14
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 187 4
- Client right to working papers 1,548 11
- vat gross margins 192 2
- Employer PAYE Refund 219 4
- e mail 238 1
- Auto enrolment 582 9
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,361 6
- VAT on new build property 169 2
- Auto enrolment 302 9
- SAGE 50 2011 167 1
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 1,639 36
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 1,883 22
- NHS finance professionals 672
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 413
- Foreign Pension Contribution 384
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 371
- vat gross profit percentage margins 368
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 355
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 315
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 285
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 245
- IFA income recognition & reporting 215