Compensation for HMRC errors
One of my clients has just received a £400 penalty notice for not filing a P35. They chuck these letters around like confetti at this time of year and a high percentage of them are always wrong. Needless to say he was not very pleased. The tone of his e-mail was distinctly stroppy. Thing is, I DID file his PAYE returns on time and have the confirmation e-mail from HMRC to prove it, dated 9 May. And it wasn't a test transmission. Also, looking at his PAYE record on the HMRC system, it confirms that they were submitted on 9 May.
I want compensation for this but as I understand it you can only claim for additional fees charged to your client as a result of their errors. I presume they then make the refund direct to the client and you have to bill them. So I will need to write (as his agent) with a copy of my invoice. Four questions here:
1) What is the procedure? Is a simple letter to the originating tax office sufficient?
2) What is the going rate? I was thinking £100 plus VAT (as the input tax is technically irrecoverable).
3) Can my client make an additional claim for "distress" caused by their error? I believe that's the magic word you have to use. If so, how much is realistic in a case like this?
4) How could this have happened? Why didn't their confirmation of submission "close" the PAYE account?
Shame I can't claim anything for my own distress after getting his e-mail. I see they don't send these letters to agents but only advise taxpayers to show them the notice. If they had sent it to me first I could have told them it was wrong. My client wants to keep 50% of the £100 fee as his share, but perhaps I can get 50% of his claim for distress if it is successful!
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 421 14
- P11d error 432 10
- Audit Required 136 4
- Audit Report Query 52 1
- Value pricing 292 12
- company secretarial software 163 3
- Undeclared Self Employment 1,606 13
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,788 27
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 188 3
- Elective DeductionsModel 70 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 189 1
- Rental Income 308 6
- Payroll 2012/13 116 1
- I have a pain 707 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 95 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 183 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 738 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 131 3
- Cash flow 150 2
- New use of home - simplified method 269 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 736
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 502
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 352
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 343
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 266
- VAT on Gaming Machines 216
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 203
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 189
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 180
- Director Loan account operation 153