Compensation for HMRC errors
One of my clients has just received a £400 penalty notice for not filing a P35. They chuck these letters around like confetti at this time of year and a high percentage of them are always wrong. Needless to say he was not very pleased. The tone of his e-mail was distinctly stroppy. Thing is, I DID file his PAYE returns on time and have the confirmation e-mail from HMRC to prove it, dated 9 May. And it wasn't a test transmission. Also, looking at his PAYE record on the HMRC system, it confirms that they were submitted on 9 May.
I want compensation for this but as I understand it you can only claim for additional fees charged to your client as a result of their errors. I presume they then make the refund direct to the client and you have to bill them. So I will need to write (as his agent) with a copy of my invoice. Four questions here:
1) What is the procedure? Is a simple letter to the originating tax office sufficient?
2) What is the going rate? I was thinking £100 plus VAT (as the input tax is technically irrecoverable).
3) Can my client make an additional claim for "distress" caused by their error? I believe that's the magic word you have to use. If so, how much is realistic in a case like this?
4) How could this have happened? Why didn't their confirmation of submission "close" the PAYE account?
Shame I can't claim anything for my own distress after getting his e-mail. I see they don't send these letters to agents but only advise taxpayers to show them the notice. If they had sent it to me first I could have told them it was wrong. My client wants to keep 50% of the £100 fee as his share, but perhaps I can get 50% of his claim for distress if it is successful!
- are receipts needed? 615 17
- SA302's anyone?? 607 18
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 325 8
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 110 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 346 12
- Cash in Hand 121 2
- Buy to let and capitak gain 160 4
- Busines software 155 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 193 6
- Converting a barn for business use 185 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 310 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 314 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 479 10
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 311 3
- Bookkeping software 725 7
- Clogged Losses 282 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 274 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 657 10
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 273 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 128 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 910
- International interest certificate 522
- NOVA 372
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 323
- Management expenses for investment company 275
- Bonus Bonds 269
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 183
- P11D benefit received by widow 162
- EXACT ONLINE 158
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 156