Compensation for HMRC errors
One of my clients has just received a £400 penalty notice for not filing a P35. They chuck these letters around like confetti at this time of year and a high percentage of them are always wrong. Needless to say he was not very pleased. The tone of his e-mail was distinctly stroppy. Thing is, I DID file his PAYE returns on time and have the confirmation e-mail from HMRC to prove it, dated 9 May. And it wasn't a test transmission. Also, looking at his PAYE record on the HMRC system, it confirms that they were submitted on 9 May.
I want compensation for this but as I understand it you can only claim for additional fees charged to your client as a result of their errors. I presume they then make the refund direct to the client and you have to bill them. So I will need to write (as his agent) with a copy of my invoice. Four questions here:
1) What is the procedure? Is a simple letter to the originating tax office sufficient?
2) What is the going rate? I was thinking £100 plus VAT (as the input tax is technically irrecoverable).
3) Can my client make an additional claim for "distress" caused by their error? I believe that's the magic word you have to use. If so, how much is realistic in a case like this?
4) How could this have happened? Why didn't their confirmation of submission "close" the PAYE account?
Shame I can't claim anything for my own distress after getting his e-mail. I see they don't send these letters to agents but only advise taxpayers to show them the notice. If they had sent it to me first I could have told them it was wrong. My client wants to keep 50% of the £100 fee as his share, but perhaps I can get 50% of his claim for distress if it is successful!
- rti 212 9
- PAYE Refunds from HMRC 121 3
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 130 1
- Unfurnished Lettings Expenditure 166 3
- Undeclared rental income 170 4
- Drop box Storage 783 8
- Cash injection by shareholder 674 9
- Another goodwill question ....... 223 2
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 212 6
- FIFA game and making money 1,738 15
- Drop Down Boxes 104 1
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 387 7
- What Exactly does the RTI Penalty Relaxation mean? 250 4
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 773 21
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,300 497
- Property management company Online returns 94 1
- VAT on sale of Assets to Director 126 3
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 336 9
- Fee Protection Insurance 1,128 45
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 418 19
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,402
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 535
- National Insurance 436
- Non Resident 326
- Hands on experience of Digita 255
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 236
- Employer's Helpline 191
- CIS paid under reg 9 190
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 158
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 157