Compensation for HMRC errors
One of my clients has just received a £400 penalty notice for not filing a P35. They chuck these letters around like confetti at this time of year and a high percentage of them are always wrong. Needless to say he was not very pleased. The tone of his e-mail was distinctly stroppy. Thing is, I DID file his PAYE returns on time and have the confirmation e-mail from HMRC to prove it, dated 9 May. And it wasn't a test transmission. Also, looking at his PAYE record on the HMRC system, it confirms that they were submitted on 9 May.
I want compensation for this but as I understand it you can only claim for additional fees charged to your client as a result of their errors. I presume they then make the refund direct to the client and you have to bill them. So I will need to write (as his agent) with a copy of my invoice. Four questions here:
1) What is the procedure? Is a simple letter to the originating tax office sufficient?
2) What is the going rate? I was thinking £100 plus VAT (as the input tax is technically irrecoverable).
3) Can my client make an additional claim for "distress" caused by their error? I believe that's the magic word you have to use. If so, how much is realistic in a case like this?
4) How could this have happened? Why didn't their confirmation of submission "close" the PAYE account?
Shame I can't claim anything for my own distress after getting his e-mail. I see they don't send these letters to agents but only advise taxpayers to show them the notice. If they had sent it to me first I could have told them it was wrong. My client wants to keep 50% of the £100 fee as his share, but perhaps I can get 50% of his claim for distress if it is successful!
- Swiching tax 508 15
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 721 23
- Proposal to strike off...... 494 10
- SA316s 111 2
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 509 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 364 11
- Start-up cost recognition 90 1
- Lunches 177 3
- Mortgage Adviser's request 378 8
- VAT on non-denominated postage 124 3
- Generic notification message 251 6
- Property Expenses 215 7
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 814 39
- Auto Enrolment (sorry) 117 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 500 13
- Accrued salary unpaid 256 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,194 18
- Basis periods 98 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 114 2
- CGT on spouse's death 310 11
- Construction CIS LLP Company 599
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 590
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 385
- Pensions Regulator 350
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 289
- Using the correct forms 264
- SA penalty proposals 255
- RTI - duplicate employee record 251
- Accelerated payment notices 235
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 225