Compensation for HMRC errors
One of my clients has just received a £400 penalty notice for not filing a P35. They chuck these letters around like confetti at this time of year and a high percentage of them are always wrong. Needless to say he was not very pleased. The tone of his e-mail was distinctly stroppy. Thing is, I DID file his PAYE returns on time and have the confirmation e-mail from HMRC to prove it, dated 9 May. And it wasn't a test transmission. Also, looking at his PAYE record on the HMRC system, it confirms that they were submitted on 9 May.
I want compensation for this but as I understand it you can only claim for additional fees charged to your client as a result of their errors. I presume they then make the refund direct to the client and you have to bill them. So I will need to write (as his agent) with a copy of my invoice. Four questions here:
1) What is the procedure? Is a simple letter to the originating tax office sufficient?
2) What is the going rate? I was thinking £100 plus VAT (as the input tax is technically irrecoverable).
3) Can my client make an additional claim for "distress" caused by their error? I believe that's the magic word you have to use. If so, how much is realistic in a case like this?
4) How could this have happened? Why didn't their confirmation of submission "close" the PAYE account?
Shame I can't claim anything for my own distress after getting his e-mail. I see they don't send these letters to agents but only advise taxpayers to show them the notice. If they had sent it to me first I could have told them it was wrong. My client wants to keep 50% of the £100 fee as his share, but perhaps I can get 50% of his claim for distress if it is successful!
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 1,386 63
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 335 12
- Tax Penalty overeaction 579 11
- calculate mortgage interest 118 1
- Auto enrolment 1,645 27
- AIA 206 5
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 587 27
- Depreciation 164 1
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 137 3
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 225 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 184 3
- client can't/won't pay 452 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 206 6
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 258 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 271 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,195 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 278 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 221 5
- HMRC SA software error? 191 2
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 180 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 793
- Copy Wanted 507
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 465
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 457
- Latest phishing scam 296
- Entrepreneurs' relief 283
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 277
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 258
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 246
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 243