Compensation for HMRC errors
One of my clients has just received a £400 penalty notice for not filing a P35. They chuck these letters around like confetti at this time of year and a high percentage of them are always wrong. Needless to say he was not very pleased. The tone of his e-mail was distinctly stroppy. Thing is, I DID file his PAYE returns on time and have the confirmation e-mail from HMRC to prove it, dated 9 May. And it wasn't a test transmission. Also, looking at his PAYE record on the HMRC system, it confirms that they were submitted on 9 May.
I want compensation for this but as I understand it you can only claim for additional fees charged to your client as a result of their errors. I presume they then make the refund direct to the client and you have to bill them. So I will need to write (as his agent) with a copy of my invoice. Four questions here:
1) What is the procedure? Is a simple letter to the originating tax office sufficient?
2) What is the going rate? I was thinking £100 plus VAT (as the input tax is technically irrecoverable).
3) Can my client make an additional claim for "distress" caused by their error? I believe that's the magic word you have to use. If so, how much is realistic in a case like this?
4) How could this have happened? Why didn't their confirmation of submission "close" the PAYE account?
Shame I can't claim anything for my own distress after getting his e-mail. I see they don't send these letters to agents but only advise taxpayers to show them the notice. If they had sent it to me first I could have told them it was wrong. My client wants to keep 50% of the £100 fee as his share, but perhaps I can get 50% of his claim for distress if it is successful!
- BTC is slow 257 3
- Voluntary Disclosure 198 2
- Director registration for SA question 456 17
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 184 3
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 328 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 495 22
- valuation of vehicles 403 16
- Business only use of company car 693 26
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 508 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 322 4
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 956 29
- New Company reviews please 545 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 314 4
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 266 2
- VAT with Russia 233 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 234 4
- Money Laundering Manual 304 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 249 2
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,122 29
- directors loan 370 8
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 299
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 244
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 240
- Any thoughts on Capium? 234
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 219
- auto enrolment 189
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 177
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 158
- How to account for investment in JV? 152
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 148