Compensation for HMRC errors
One of my clients has just received a £400 penalty notice for not filing a P35. They chuck these letters around like confetti at this time of year and a high percentage of them are always wrong. Needless to say he was not very pleased. The tone of his e-mail was distinctly stroppy. Thing is, I DID file his PAYE returns on time and have the confirmation e-mail from HMRC to prove it, dated 9 May. And it wasn't a test transmission. Also, looking at his PAYE record on the HMRC system, it confirms that they were submitted on 9 May.
I want compensation for this but as I understand it you can only claim for additional fees charged to your client as a result of their errors. I presume they then make the refund direct to the client and you have to bill them. So I will need to write (as his agent) with a copy of my invoice. Four questions here:
1) What is the procedure? Is a simple letter to the originating tax office sufficient?
2) What is the going rate? I was thinking £100 plus VAT (as the input tax is technically irrecoverable).
3) Can my client make an additional claim for "distress" caused by their error? I believe that's the magic word you have to use. If so, how much is realistic in a case like this?
4) How could this have happened? Why didn't their confirmation of submission "close" the PAYE account?
Shame I can't claim anything for my own distress after getting his e-mail. I see they don't send these letters to agents but only advise taxpayers to show them the notice. If they had sent it to me first I could have told them it was wrong. My client wants to keep 50% of the £100 fee as his share, but perhaps I can get 50% of his claim for distress if it is successful!
- The stupidity continues 619 23
- transactions after account have been closed 170 4
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 165 5
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 534 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 221 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 126 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,340 25
- New Employers Helpline 209 4
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 223 3
- Software recommendations 277 1
- Share transfer question 378 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 328 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 185 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,454 19
- Overlap relief 759 19
- What is IRIS World like? 368 8
- Pension contributions 383 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 512 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 210 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 287 8
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 439
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 435
- WIP Software 300
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 291
- No payroll scheme in place 235
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 231
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 209
- Is there anything wrong with this? 204
- Small Part Disposal of Property 189
- Uncommercial property business 181