Compensation for HMRC errors
One of my clients has just received a £400 penalty notice for not filing a P35. They chuck these letters around like confetti at this time of year and a high percentage of them are always wrong. Needless to say he was not very pleased. The tone of his e-mail was distinctly stroppy. Thing is, I DID file his PAYE returns on time and have the confirmation e-mail from HMRC to prove it, dated 9 May. And it wasn't a test transmission. Also, looking at his PAYE record on the HMRC system, it confirms that they were submitted on 9 May.
I want compensation for this but as I understand it you can only claim for additional fees charged to your client as a result of their errors. I presume they then make the refund direct to the client and you have to bill them. So I will need to write (as his agent) with a copy of my invoice. Four questions here:
1) What is the procedure? Is a simple letter to the originating tax office sufficient?
2) What is the going rate? I was thinking £100 plus VAT (as the input tax is technically irrecoverable).
3) Can my client make an additional claim for "distress" caused by their error? I believe that's the magic word you have to use. If so, how much is realistic in a case like this?
4) How could this have happened? Why didn't their confirmation of submission "close" the PAYE account?
Shame I can't claim anything for my own distress after getting his e-mail. I see they don't send these letters to agents but only advise taxpayers to show them the notice. If they had sent it to me first I could have told them it was wrong. My client wants to keep 50% of the £100 fee as his share, but perhaps I can get 50% of his claim for distress if it is successful!
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 382 9
- Incorporation and goodwill 234 4
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 235 11
- It gets worse ! 124 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,730 57
- R&D claim 60 3
- indexation factors 87 3
- Fee protection 1,099 25
- Drector renting room to company 215 4
- Received a CIS invoice 275 9
- DLA interest query. 2,946 66
- VAT invoice 220 9
- claim fees with out without VAT? 154 3
- How to print invoice payment history Sage 50 Pro 54 2
- Accounting for software development costs 242 3
- Payroll Software Recommendations 240 7
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 424 5
- Anyone done ATT? 252 5
- Warranties - Fixed Assets - depreciation 83 1
- Bereavment payment 350 4
- Xtuple 575
- Qtac payroll for bureau 404
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 351
- Domain name sale and limited company 252
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 239
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 223
- Tax on damages received 203
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 198
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 164
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 163