Composers trading through Limited Company
New client trades through a limited company and has done for a number of years.
Income is derived from composition of music for film and television and the company is currently owned 60/40 between the husband and wife.
All contracts are between the company's clients and the company itself.
At first I felt the structure was safe but my concerns have started to grow from reading a few unspecific threads concerning authors and royalties that "could" in theory impact on the chosen trading vehicle.
The ultimate plan has been to shield profits from higher rate tax and only draw from the company monies which are required from year to year. However profits are now rising to the point that the company is doing very well and the shareholders are both breaching higher rate tax.
Other than the Arctic Systems issues which always lurk in the background but are not necessarily a concern right now I can see that it is highly unlikely that the company can be liquidated in the future and the profits be drawn under CGT benefiting from Entrepreneurs Relief (although income is derived from a combination of fees and royalties - probably 40/60 in favour of royalties now).
One point I would make (in case it is relevant) is that no capital payment was claimed on incorporation of the business.
Part of the plan had been that in years to come the shares could be passed to children etc and that they benefit from the income stream by drawing dividends until at some point the coffers run dry.
Firstly could HMRC challenge the trading structure of the limited company due to the trade?
Is the 60/40 share split safe (the wife deals with the admin of the business but the husband writes the music)?
Any other thoughts/comments - particularly as this is a case concerning royalties?
Responses will be most welcome!!
- Regional Development Grant 61 4
- Sole trader hid directorships. 286 5
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,296 43
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,225 21
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 43 1
- Company car without a salary 157 2
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 350 10
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 244 9
- Charity donations 1,008 21
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 317 13
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 547 11
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 123 2
- VAT on finance leases 181 3
- More HMRC on gov.uk 573 10
- CONVERSION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 284 6
- Second Incomes Campaign 251 3
- Goods Purchased for Rental 697 34
- Professional Clearance 1,623 24
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 313 4
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 476 6
- NOVA 502
- Bonus Bonds 386
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 373
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 283
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 253
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 179
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 163
- Finance Lease 154
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 145