Composers trading through Limited Company
New client trades through a limited company and has done for a number of years.
Income is derived from composition of music for film and television and the company is currently owned 60/40 between the husband and wife.
All contracts are between the company's clients and the company itself.
At first I felt the structure was safe but my concerns have started to grow from reading a few unspecific threads concerning authors and royalties that "could" in theory impact on the chosen trading vehicle.
The ultimate plan has been to shield profits from higher rate tax and only draw from the company monies which are required from year to year. However profits are now rising to the point that the company is doing very well and the shareholders are both breaching higher rate tax.
Other than the Arctic Systems issues which always lurk in the background but are not necessarily a concern right now I can see that it is highly unlikely that the company can be liquidated in the future and the profits be drawn under CGT benefiting from Entrepreneurs Relief (although income is derived from a combination of fees and royalties - probably 40/60 in favour of royalties now).
One point I would make (in case it is relevant) is that no capital payment was claimed on incorporation of the business.
Part of the plan had been that in years to come the shares could be passed to children etc and that they benefit from the income stream by drawing dividends until at some point the coffers run dry.
Firstly could HMRC challenge the trading structure of the limited company due to the trade?
Is the 60/40 share split safe (the wife deals with the admin of the business but the husband writes the music)?
Any other thoughts/comments - particularly as this is a case concerning royalties?
Responses will be most welcome!!
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,315 31
- Disposal of property 59 2
- Tax liability of sole trader changing to partnership 102 1
- Website - Any guess on their business ... 145 2
- trading or dormant 180 4
- do I have to pay NI? 97 2
- Matching of tax return to P60 220 5
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 186 7
- Tax Return Deadlines 300 5
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,251 15
- what time is it ? 466 5
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 447 25
- VAT chargeable or not? 133 3
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,287 55
- find-accountants.com 276 3
- Capital Allowances on Foreign Property 117 3
- Funds introduced by company secretary... 296 5
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 214 8
- Related Parties Note 224 4
- Business Christmas Greetings 1,086 20
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 942
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 533
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 343
- How to format a stock book 330
- Tax efficient holding company structure 267
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 254
- Investment property company accounts template 236
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 202
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 201
- Charge out rates in London? 170