Composers trading through Limited Company
New client trades through a limited company and has done for a number of years.
Income is derived from composition of music for film and television and the company is currently owned 60/40 between the husband and wife.
All contracts are between the company's clients and the company itself.
At first I felt the structure was safe but my concerns have started to grow from reading a few unspecific threads concerning authors and royalties that "could" in theory impact on the chosen trading vehicle.
The ultimate plan has been to shield profits from higher rate tax and only draw from the company monies which are required from year to year. However profits are now rising to the point that the company is doing very well and the shareholders are both breaching higher rate tax.
Other than the Arctic Systems issues which always lurk in the background but are not necessarily a concern right now I can see that it is highly unlikely that the company can be liquidated in the future and the profits be drawn under CGT benefiting from Entrepreneurs Relief (although income is derived from a combination of fees and royalties - probably 40/60 in favour of royalties now).
One point I would make (in case it is relevant) is that no capital payment was claimed on incorporation of the business.
Part of the plan had been that in years to come the shares could be passed to children etc and that they benefit from the income stream by drawing dividends until at some point the coffers run dry.
Firstly could HMRC challenge the trading structure of the limited company due to the trade?
Is the 60/40 share split safe (the wife deals with the admin of the business but the husband writes the music)?
Any other thoughts/comments - particularly as this is a case concerning royalties?
Responses will be most welcome!!
- Starting up in practice - safety net 378 9
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 466 10
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 566 7
- Opening balances Sage 50 24 1
- Flat rate vat 319 4
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 232 6
- Rental property company 176 2
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 168 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 410 12
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,470 27
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,198 35
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 400 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 309 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 283 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 407 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 228 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 217 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 166 2
- Director's tax return 429 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 200 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 832
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 575
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 449
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 323
- Free Tax Legislation? 302
- Director Loan account operation 284
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 270
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 262
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 244
- Paye procedures for CVA 184