Composers trading through Limited Company
New client trades through a limited company and has done for a number of years.
Income is derived from composition of music for film and television and the company is currently owned 60/40 between the husband and wife.
All contracts are between the company's clients and the company itself.
At first I felt the structure was safe but my concerns have started to grow from reading a few unspecific threads concerning authors and royalties that "could" in theory impact on the chosen trading vehicle.
The ultimate plan has been to shield profits from higher rate tax and only draw from the company monies which are required from year to year. However profits are now rising to the point that the company is doing very well and the shareholders are both breaching higher rate tax.
Other than the Arctic Systems issues which always lurk in the background but are not necessarily a concern right now I can see that it is highly unlikely that the company can be liquidated in the future and the profits be drawn under CGT benefiting from Entrepreneurs Relief (although income is derived from a combination of fees and royalties - probably 40/60 in favour of royalties now).
One point I would make (in case it is relevant) is that no capital payment was claimed on incorporation of the business.
Part of the plan had been that in years to come the shares could be passed to children etc and that they benefit from the income stream by drawing dividends until at some point the coffers run dry.
Firstly could HMRC challenge the trading structure of the limited company due to the trade?
Is the 60/40 share split safe (the wife deals with the admin of the business but the husband writes the music)?
Any other thoughts/comments - particularly as this is a case concerning royalties?
Responses will be most welcome!!
- Non-Taxable Expenses Reimbursement 13 1
- Legal advisor recommendation please 47 2
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 337 4
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,038 5
- HMRC Postal Delays 122 3
- Landing clients 601 19
- Time to react ? ? ? 606 6
- Dividends allowed on ordinary shares transferred during the year?? 79 2
- Dividends 105 3
- Closure of PAYE scheme 94 1
- cash the returned VAT cheque 305 3
- Rent a room for half a year, fully let for the other half? 85 1
- Signed accounts for bank 442 9
- Termination Payment 392 14
- Intercompany Payroll Journals 193 6
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 291 4
- Business lending another business money (UK) 201 5
- flat rate scheme 2,161 40
- How can a childcare facility mitigate vat 129 1
- Opening a Quick books file 193 2