Composers trading through Limited Company
New client trades through a limited company and has done for a number of years.
Income is derived from composition of music for film and television and the company is currently owned 60/40 between the husband and wife.
All contracts are between the company's clients and the company itself.
At first I felt the structure was safe but my concerns have started to grow from reading a few unspecific threads concerning authors and royalties that "could" in theory impact on the chosen trading vehicle.
The ultimate plan has been to shield profits from higher rate tax and only draw from the company monies which are required from year to year. However profits are now rising to the point that the company is doing very well and the shareholders are both breaching higher rate tax.
Other than the Arctic Systems issues which always lurk in the background but are not necessarily a concern right now I can see that it is highly unlikely that the company can be liquidated in the future and the profits be drawn under CGT benefiting from Entrepreneurs Relief (although income is derived from a combination of fees and royalties - probably 40/60 in favour of royalties now).
One point I would make (in case it is relevant) is that no capital payment was claimed on incorporation of the business.
Part of the plan had been that in years to come the shares could be passed to children etc and that they benefit from the income stream by drawing dividends until at some point the coffers run dry.
Firstly could HMRC challenge the trading structure of the limited company due to the trade?
Is the 60/40 share split safe (the wife deals with the admin of the business but the husband writes the music)?
Any other thoughts/comments - particularly as this is a case concerning royalties?
Responses will be most welcome!!
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 507 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 278 4
- Late registration for MOSS 201 4
- Professional Clearance 1,012 24
- Self employed care worker 411 9
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 240 5
- Client right to working papers 165 2
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 326 7
- Illegal share transfer 424 5
- Audacity 853 16
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 148 2
- Company Strike off 1,800 30
- Soca or not to soca 2,077 34
- How to deal with an employee's at work car parking cost, paid for by the company 372 3
- Estate admin practicalities 209 1
- Cloud Accounting Software for Practitioners 1,478 23
- Duplicate employments caused by works numbers on Sage 311 5
- Cheapest PI insurance for accountant available? 1,774 31
- Joint owners of rental properties 343 6
- Capital stated on incorporation too low by several orders of magnitude. 330 2
- NHS finance professionals 526
- VAL231 406
- Mother and son property ownership 365
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 353
- Foreign Pension Contribution 328
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 302
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 279
- vat gross profit percentage margins 267
- Incorporated LLP partners, CIS and IR35 262
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 251