Composers trading through Limited Company
New client trades through a limited company and has done for a number of years.
Income is derived from composition of music for film and television and the company is currently owned 60/40 between the husband and wife.
All contracts are between the company's clients and the company itself.
At first I felt the structure was safe but my concerns have started to grow from reading a few unspecific threads concerning authors and royalties that "could" in theory impact on the chosen trading vehicle.
The ultimate plan has been to shield profits from higher rate tax and only draw from the company monies which are required from year to year. However profits are now rising to the point that the company is doing very well and the shareholders are both breaching higher rate tax.
Other than the Arctic Systems issues which always lurk in the background but are not necessarily a concern right now I can see that it is highly unlikely that the company can be liquidated in the future and the profits be drawn under CGT benefiting from Entrepreneurs Relief (although income is derived from a combination of fees and royalties - probably 40/60 in favour of royalties now).
One point I would make (in case it is relevant) is that no capital payment was claimed on incorporation of the business.
Part of the plan had been that in years to come the shares could be passed to children etc and that they benefit from the income stream by drawing dividends until at some point the coffers run dry.
Firstly could HMRC challenge the trading structure of the limited company due to the trade?
Is the 60/40 share split safe (the wife deals with the admin of the business but the husband writes the music)?
Any other thoughts/comments - particularly as this is a case concerning royalties?
Responses will be most welcome!!
- Surcharges on very late VAT 88 1
- Was I rude 287 12
- Invoice factoring 223 8
- Director's minimum wage? 127 3
- Share swap 214 4
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 445 9
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 309 9
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 132 2
- Entrepreneurs relief/ Company Secretary 124 2
- Work in progress calculation 93 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 934 29
- Help with share restructuring 93 1
- HMRC Employers Diary 573 1
- Advice please on best way forward 557 7
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 580 9
- old client has come out of the woodwork 349 2
- Scoot 397 7
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 509 3
- paye scheme very used 264 3
- Operating lease 147 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,470
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 795
- Any views 720
- International interest certificate 434
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 407
- Sale of business 372
- Advertising services? 274
- NOVA 272
- IRIS Open Books problem 267
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 183