Composers trading through Limited Company
New client trades through a limited company and has done for a number of years.
Income is derived from composition of music for film and television and the company is currently owned 60/40 between the husband and wife.
All contracts are between the company's clients and the company itself.
At first I felt the structure was safe but my concerns have started to grow from reading a few unspecific threads concerning authors and royalties that "could" in theory impact on the chosen trading vehicle.
The ultimate plan has been to shield profits from higher rate tax and only draw from the company monies which are required from year to year. However profits are now rising to the point that the company is doing very well and the shareholders are both breaching higher rate tax.
Other than the Arctic Systems issues which always lurk in the background but are not necessarily a concern right now I can see that it is highly unlikely that the company can be liquidated in the future and the profits be drawn under CGT benefiting from Entrepreneurs Relief (although income is derived from a combination of fees and royalties - probably 40/60 in favour of royalties now).
One point I would make (in case it is relevant) is that no capital payment was claimed on incorporation of the business.
Part of the plan had been that in years to come the shares could be passed to children etc and that they benefit from the income stream by drawing dividends until at some point the coffers run dry.
Firstly could HMRC challenge the trading structure of the limited company due to the trade?
Is the 60/40 share split safe (the wife deals with the admin of the business but the husband writes the music)?
Any other thoughts/comments - particularly as this is a case concerning royalties?
Responses will be most welcome!!
- Can't find a good web address 211 4
- Company asserts 139 2
- Bank stream and receipt bank advice... 99 1
- Example accounts 80 1
- Director resignation 291 6
- VAT on unused stock 99 1
- When to recover vat on bad debts 151 4
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 194 7
- Timesheet and travel expenses software for engineering consultants 212 5
- effective advertising 284 6
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 201 8
- Software recommendations 320 2
- Cloud Based Software recommendations please 172 3
- Edible spam? 817 16
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 332 5
- Put fees on website 323 6
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,600 27
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,371 4
- Sigma Red 1,450 3
- CIS Software Recommendations 350 5
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 483
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 469
- WIP Software 339
- No payroll scheme in place 293
- Is there anything wrong with this? 260
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 256
- Uncommercial property business 231
- Small Part Disposal of Property 230
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 195
- SA Penalty 188