Composers trading through Limited Company
New client trades through a limited company and has done for a number of years.
Income is derived from composition of music for film and television and the company is currently owned 60/40 between the husband and wife.
All contracts are between the company's clients and the company itself.
At first I felt the structure was safe but my concerns have started to grow from reading a few unspecific threads concerning authors and royalties that "could" in theory impact on the chosen trading vehicle.
The ultimate plan has been to shield profits from higher rate tax and only draw from the company monies which are required from year to year. However profits are now rising to the point that the company is doing very well and the shareholders are both breaching higher rate tax.
Other than the Arctic Systems issues which always lurk in the background but are not necessarily a concern right now I can see that it is highly unlikely that the company can be liquidated in the future and the profits be drawn under CGT benefiting from Entrepreneurs Relief (although income is derived from a combination of fees and royalties - probably 40/60 in favour of royalties now).
One point I would make (in case it is relevant) is that no capital payment was claimed on incorporation of the business.
Part of the plan had been that in years to come the shares could be passed to children etc and that they benefit from the income stream by drawing dividends until at some point the coffers run dry.
Firstly could HMRC challenge the trading structure of the limited company due to the trade?
Is the 60/40 share split safe (the wife deals with the admin of the business but the husband writes the music)?
Any other thoughts/comments - particularly as this is a case concerning royalties?
Responses will be most welcome!!
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 714 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 813 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 352 5
- Paying Son 776 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 399 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 282 10
- Love is in the air 649 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,066 47
- Setting up a practice 594 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 580 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 526 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 451 1
- Stamp Duty 310 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 244 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,842 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 428 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 604 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 595 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 440 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 408 9
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 297
- Foreign domicile status 288
- CGT for NOn UK residents 282
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 281
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 259
- Apprenticeship Levy 244
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 243
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 232
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 229