Composers trading through Limited Company
New client trades through a limited company and has done for a number of years.
Income is derived from composition of music for film and television and the company is currently owned 60/40 between the husband and wife.
All contracts are between the company's clients and the company itself.
At first I felt the structure was safe but my concerns have started to grow from reading a few unspecific threads concerning authors and royalties that "could" in theory impact on the chosen trading vehicle.
The ultimate plan has been to shield profits from higher rate tax and only draw from the company monies which are required from year to year. However profits are now rising to the point that the company is doing very well and the shareholders are both breaching higher rate tax.
Other than the Arctic Systems issues which always lurk in the background but are not necessarily a concern right now I can see that it is highly unlikely that the company can be liquidated in the future and the profits be drawn under CGT benefiting from Entrepreneurs Relief (although income is derived from a combination of fees and royalties - probably 40/60 in favour of royalties now).
One point I would make (in case it is relevant) is that no capital payment was claimed on incorporation of the business.
Part of the plan had been that in years to come the shares could be passed to children etc and that they benefit from the income stream by drawing dividends until at some point the coffers run dry.
Firstly could HMRC challenge the trading structure of the limited company due to the trade?
Is the 60/40 share split safe (the wife deals with the admin of the business but the husband writes the music)?
Any other thoughts/comments - particularly as this is a case concerning royalties?
Responses will be most welcome!!
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 1,037 45
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 45 2
- Childcare voucher schemes 206 8
- What sectors to target? 501 25
- Rent a room scheme query. 75 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 360 12
- PAYE Control Visit 113 2
- Practice management 311 6
- Repayment of maternity pay 181 4
- Journals to Creditors Control 222 8
- eBay trading 157 3
- Capital allowances on Software 75 1
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 205 10
- Pension contribution 122 3
- Adding employers clients on LinkedIn 213 3
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 281 12
- duplicate 194 1
- Self assesment online 777 8
- Refusing to complete a tax return 707 13
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 216 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 916
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 635
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 592
- Latest phishing scam 565
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 393
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 296
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 219
- Scratch Head 217
- Capital allowances in first basis period 202
- Sabbatical payments 188