Composers trading through Limited Company
New client trades through a limited company and has done for a number of years.
Income is derived from composition of music for film and television and the company is currently owned 60/40 between the husband and wife.
All contracts are between the company's clients and the company itself.
At first I felt the structure was safe but my concerns have started to grow from reading a few unspecific threads concerning authors and royalties that "could" in theory impact on the chosen trading vehicle.
The ultimate plan has been to shield profits from higher rate tax and only draw from the company monies which are required from year to year. However profits are now rising to the point that the company is doing very well and the shareholders are both breaching higher rate tax.
Other than the Arctic Systems issues which always lurk in the background but are not necessarily a concern right now I can see that it is highly unlikely that the company can be liquidated in the future and the profits be drawn under CGT benefiting from Entrepreneurs Relief (although income is derived from a combination of fees and royalties - probably 40/60 in favour of royalties now).
One point I would make (in case it is relevant) is that no capital payment was claimed on incorporation of the business.
Part of the plan had been that in years to come the shares could be passed to children etc and that they benefit from the income stream by drawing dividends until at some point the coffers run dry.
Firstly could HMRC challenge the trading structure of the limited company due to the trade?
Is the 60/40 share split safe (the wife deals with the admin of the business but the husband writes the music)?
Any other thoughts/comments - particularly as this is a case concerning royalties?
Responses will be most welcome!!
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,417 29
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 533 12
- Slipped out of the self assessment radar 240 2
- How to opt out? 364 6
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 60 1
- Companies House incorporation service 146 6
- utr 129 4
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 128 3
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager 291 7
- P9D or P11D 703 7
- CT return error message 375 10
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,698 43
- Group subcontracting - accounts not consolidated 105 2
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 95 1
- Should the Report of the Director be included in the interim financial statements of a small company 96 1
- Audit rules 371 8
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 293 7
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 829 11
- Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax 190 2
- FRS17 query 207 2
- Xtuple 541
- Qtac payroll for bureau 369
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 313
- Industrial & Provident Societies 308
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 277
- CIS schemes 211
- Domain name sale and limited company 202
- Investment 180
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 172
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 171