Composers trading through Limited Company
New client trades through a limited company and has done for a number of years.
Income is derived from composition of music for film and television and the company is currently owned 60/40 between the husband and wife.
All contracts are between the company's clients and the company itself.
At first I felt the structure was safe but my concerns have started to grow from reading a few unspecific threads concerning authors and royalties that "could" in theory impact on the chosen trading vehicle.
The ultimate plan has been to shield profits from higher rate tax and only draw from the company monies which are required from year to year. However profits are now rising to the point that the company is doing very well and the shareholders are both breaching higher rate tax.
Other than the Arctic Systems issues which always lurk in the background but are not necessarily a concern right now I can see that it is highly unlikely that the company can be liquidated in the future and the profits be drawn under CGT benefiting from Entrepreneurs Relief (although income is derived from a combination of fees and royalties - probably 40/60 in favour of royalties now).
One point I would make (in case it is relevant) is that no capital payment was claimed on incorporation of the business.
Part of the plan had been that in years to come the shares could be passed to children etc and that they benefit from the income stream by drawing dividends until at some point the coffers run dry.
Firstly could HMRC challenge the trading structure of the limited company due to the trade?
Is the 60/40 share split safe (the wife deals with the admin of the business but the husband writes the music)?
Any other thoughts/comments - particularly as this is a case concerning royalties?
Responses will be most welcome!!
- What are options for non CA firm 1,608 25
- Dividends with an annual profit but retained losses 73 1
- How to make restoration of corrupted excel 2007 file? 101 1
- Anyone come across this shower before? 1,873 35
- Real names 1,122 34
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 513 23
- What are the tax implications of employer paying my tuition fees? 138 1
- Company Secretarial Software 1,379 30
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 676 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 239 7
- Tools for conversion OST to PST files 107 1
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 136 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 293 5
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,984 17
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,961 11
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 92 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 122 1
- Downloads EU VAT from 1/1/15 167 4
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 121 2
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 90 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 582
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 456
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 354
- IFA incorporation 338
- Sorry ignore me 323
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 277
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 272
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 262
- Cancelled 205
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 175