Composers trading through Limited Company
New client trades through a limited company and has done for a number of years.
Income is derived from composition of music for film and television and the company is currently owned 60/40 between the husband and wife.
All contracts are between the company's clients and the company itself.
At first I felt the structure was safe but my concerns have started to grow from reading a few unspecific threads concerning authors and royalties that "could" in theory impact on the chosen trading vehicle.
The ultimate plan has been to shield profits from higher rate tax and only draw from the company monies which are required from year to year. However profits are now rising to the point that the company is doing very well and the shareholders are both breaching higher rate tax.
Other than the Arctic Systems issues which always lurk in the background but are not necessarily a concern right now I can see that it is highly unlikely that the company can be liquidated in the future and the profits be drawn under CGT benefiting from Entrepreneurs Relief (although income is derived from a combination of fees and royalties - probably 40/60 in favour of royalties now).
One point I would make (in case it is relevant) is that no capital payment was claimed on incorporation of the business.
Part of the plan had been that in years to come the shares could be passed to children etc and that they benefit from the income stream by drawing dividends until at some point the coffers run dry.
Firstly could HMRC challenge the trading structure of the limited company due to the trade?
Is the 60/40 share split safe (the wife deals with the admin of the business but the husband writes the music)?
Any other thoughts/comments - particularly as this is a case concerning royalties?
Responses will be most welcome!!
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 244 2
- Old CGT loss 332 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 55 1
- ACCA - still making me laugh 241 2
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 161 6
- Start up allowance? 468 13
- New Starter Checklist 311 9
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 441 7
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 815 22
- Goodwill complications 351 7
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 593 21
- TaxCalc Accounts production 259 3
- HMRC Distraint 247 2
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 212 2
- Will I need to resign? 704 9
- What are the implications for a UK company director resident in Canada 135 3
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 391 8
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 461 7
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 1,050 16
- How to explain this to someone 289 1
- TheTax Donut 1,071
- Follower cases 512
- Hive up 446
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 413
- corporate hierarchy 405
- LIVE chat, starting now 389
- Advice - 225
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 198
- Amortisation of Goodwill 195
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 182