Composers trading through Limited Company
New client trades through a limited company and has done for a number of years.
Income is derived from composition of music for film and television and the company is currently owned 60/40 between the husband and wife.
All contracts are between the company's clients and the company itself.
At first I felt the structure was safe but my concerns have started to grow from reading a few unspecific threads concerning authors and royalties that "could" in theory impact on the chosen trading vehicle.
The ultimate plan has been to shield profits from higher rate tax and only draw from the company monies which are required from year to year. However profits are now rising to the point that the company is doing very well and the shareholders are both breaching higher rate tax.
Other than the Arctic Systems issues which always lurk in the background but are not necessarily a concern right now I can see that it is highly unlikely that the company can be liquidated in the future and the profits be drawn under CGT benefiting from Entrepreneurs Relief (although income is derived from a combination of fees and royalties - probably 40/60 in favour of royalties now).
One point I would make (in case it is relevant) is that no capital payment was claimed on incorporation of the business.
Part of the plan had been that in years to come the shares could be passed to children etc and that they benefit from the income stream by drawing dividends until at some point the coffers run dry.
Firstly could HMRC challenge the trading structure of the limited company due to the trade?
Is the 60/40 share split safe (the wife deals with the admin of the business but the husband writes the music)?
Any other thoughts/comments - particularly as this is a case concerning royalties?
Responses will be most welcome!!
- Statutory Residence Test - is HMRC Guidance wrong? 204 6
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 153 6
- Design your ideal tax department 790 18
- Financial statements accounting policies 109 2
- Scams are not always obvious 1,522 30
- Deemed Employment Payment 374 2
- Relationship between amortisation and distributable profits 131 8
- Little PPR calc question 168 4
- Restructuring company and Form 42 154 7
- Overpayment notice 98 1
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 224 9
- Cells from many sheets 170 3
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 177 8
- Investment company 189 6
- More RTI stuff 162 4
- Personal allowance 575 12
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 100 1
- Childcare vouchers 211 3
- Overseas company and VAT 91 2
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 107 2
- New Fangled Penalties 1,053
- Moving away from CCH software 917
- Recruitment agencies 542
- QROP pension input amounts 419
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 367
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 320
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 304
- fraud 239
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 229
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 198