Composers trading through Limited Company
New client trades through a limited company and has done for a number of years.
Income is derived from composition of music for film and television and the company is currently owned 60/40 between the husband and wife.
All contracts are between the company's clients and the company itself.
At first I felt the structure was safe but my concerns have started to grow from reading a few unspecific threads concerning authors and royalties that "could" in theory impact on the chosen trading vehicle.
The ultimate plan has been to shield profits from higher rate tax and only draw from the company monies which are required from year to year. However profits are now rising to the point that the company is doing very well and the shareholders are both breaching higher rate tax.
Other than the Arctic Systems issues which always lurk in the background but are not necessarily a concern right now I can see that it is highly unlikely that the company can be liquidated in the future and the profits be drawn under CGT benefiting from Entrepreneurs Relief (although income is derived from a combination of fees and royalties - probably 40/60 in favour of royalties now).
One point I would make (in case it is relevant) is that no capital payment was claimed on incorporation of the business.
Part of the plan had been that in years to come the shares could be passed to children etc and that they benefit from the income stream by drawing dividends until at some point the coffers run dry.
Firstly could HMRC challenge the trading structure of the limited company due to the trade?
Is the 60/40 share split safe (the wife deals with the admin of the business but the husband writes the music)?
Any other thoughts/comments - particularly as this is a case concerning royalties?
Responses will be most welcome!!
- BrightPay 588 18
- Classic cars investment 222 7
- Reversing out RTI 21 2
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 181 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 304 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 284 7
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 252 5
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 255 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 800 21
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 228 2
- H&W company 185 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 156 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 162 2
- Gift or Capital Gain? 267 7
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 112 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 790 32
- VAT silly question 2,386 56
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 1,082 10
- Federation Accounts 362 10
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 542 8
- Benchmarking 488
- Possible Partnership? 430
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 407
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 407
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 348
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 207
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 204
- Clubs and Taxable Income 189
- Income tax on foreign dividends 188
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 183