conflict of interest
Would be very interested to hear the views of people in Local Government on this.
My local authority is rather vague when it comes to requiring staff to make declarations in situations where there could be a conflict of interests. We have recently identified a situation in the Benefits Section where there a member of staff had not declared that he was a friend of someone receiving Council tax benefit, and had recommended that an outstanding debt existing should be written off for reasons that have proved to be invalid.
This set us wondering what other Local Authorities do in terms of declaring interests and barring access to specific accounts where there is a declared relationship. My authority currently makes a note in a register, where staff have declared an interest, but there are no clear guidelines.
Immediate thoughts are that interests should be declared, and lead to barred access, to accounts for benefit recipients and NDR and Council tax payments of family, friends, & neighbours.
Is this the norm in other local authorities, how is it applied? Any views and tips would be most welcome
- Importing transactions from VT Cashbook to VT Transaction+ 14 1
- Family Partnership 333 10
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,255 24
- Moving to BTC from Sage Accounts Production 70 1
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 189 3
- Multiple for fee bank purchase 225 5
- Business lending another business money (UK) 329 9
- Manufacturer cashback on fixed asset purchase 104 1
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 323 7
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 210 5
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 205 6
- Business trips - director and family 432 3
- Signed accounts for bank 685 15
- flat rate scheme 2,394 50
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 337 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 224 2
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 119 2
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 881 12
- Deferring dividends on paper 230 5
- VAT Query on new build 139 1