Contact settlement re enquiry
I am in the process of concluding an enquiry with HMRC....
Figures for the tax understated have been suggested and I've negotiated them downwards.
My client does not accept the adjustments, but wishes to put the matter behind him and move forward. I have explained that there are week areas in the record keeping and he should therefore reach a settlement with HMRC based on the latest figures suggested.
The problem is that the inspector will not agree the amount of the penalty (or the interest, although I can estimate this) until my client has agreed the figures. Is he within his rights to so this. Being sceptical I think he'll now load the penalty to recover some of the tax he has lost in the negotiations!
Is my client now entitled to make an offer (a contact settlement?)
This is a CTSA enquiry.
Thank you for your help.
- Error in audited accounts 130 2
- Pratice Management Software 169 3
- Use of home query 100 2
- IT advisory questions? 263 7
- signature required 550 22
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 268 6
- Vat registration exception 201 3
- CIS software 97 2
- Homing sandwiches 479 11
- CT600 137 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 195 7
- Settlement discount 157 4
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 521 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 195 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 178 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 139 2
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 221 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 141 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 192 2
- Related Party Transactions 133 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,255
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 821
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 526
- Digita Hosted Software 342
- Credit where credit's due....... 318
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 245
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 202
- TheTax Donut 185
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 166
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 165