Contact settlement re enquiry
I am in the process of concluding an enquiry with HMRC....
Figures for the tax understated have been suggested and I've negotiated them downwards.
My client does not accept the adjustments, but wishes to put the matter behind him and move forward. I have explained that there are week areas in the record keeping and he should therefore reach a settlement with HMRC based on the latest figures suggested.
The problem is that the inspector will not agree the amount of the penalty (or the interest, although I can estimate this) until my client has agreed the figures. Is he within his rights to so this. Being sceptical I think he'll now load the penalty to recover some of the tax he has lost in the negotiations!
Is my client now entitled to make an offer (a contact settlement?)
This is a CTSA enquiry.
Thank you for your help.
- PAYE versus Dividends 173 4
- Pattern for CTA 251 5
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 147 3
- Employee or partner 39 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 190 5
- The Cotter Case 190 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 141 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 153 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 82 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 945 16
- Sole Trader business 157 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 155 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 148 1
- Giving a seminar 687 36
- Tax position on lease extension 181 1
- Boffin of the Year 310 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 226 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 243 4
- Sage Depreciation 89 1
- Non sequitur 261 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,310
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 644
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 427
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 336
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 266
- Alphabet shares 222
- Agent fees to sell business 216
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 210
- Office recharges 171
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 156