Contact settlement re enquiry
I am in the process of concluding an enquiry with HMRC....
Figures for the tax understated have been suggested and I've negotiated them downwards.
My client does not accept the adjustments, but wishes to put the matter behind him and move forward. I have explained that there are week areas in the record keeping and he should therefore reach a settlement with HMRC based on the latest figures suggested.
The problem is that the inspector will not agree the amount of the penalty (or the interest, although I can estimate this) until my client has agreed the figures. Is he within his rights to so this. Being sceptical I think he'll now load the penalty to recover some of the tax he has lost in the negotiations!
Is my client now entitled to make an offer (a contact settlement?)
This is a CTSA enquiry.
Thank you for your help.
- What sectors to target? 594 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 242 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 170 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,920 41
- Self assesment online 970 11
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 253 21
- Why do I do this every year 380 9
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 294 5
- closing limited company 157 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 75 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 502 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 245 9
- IHT and US resident 55 1
- Limited Companies Merger 208 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 134 1
- Practice management 378 7
- IHT and cash gifts 244 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 528 13
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,598 42
- Capital allowances in first basis period 254 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 926
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 645
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 594
- Latest phishing scam 574
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 411
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 309
- Scratch Head 239
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 229
- Sabbatical payments 194
- Negligible Value Claim 170