Contact settlement re enquiry
I am in the process of concluding an enquiry with HMRC....
Figures for the tax understated have been suggested and I've negotiated them downwards.
My client does not accept the adjustments, but wishes to put the matter behind him and move forward. I have explained that there are week areas in the record keeping and he should therefore reach a settlement with HMRC based on the latest figures suggested.
The problem is that the inspector will not agree the amount of the penalty (or the interest, although I can estimate this) until my client has agreed the figures. Is he within his rights to so this. Being sceptical I think he'll now load the penalty to recover some of the tax he has lost in the negotiations!
Is my client now entitled to make an offer (a contact settlement?)
This is a CTSA enquiry.
Thank you for your help.
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,298 347
- corp tax software 35 2
- Were you asked to pay to sign off your ACCA PCTR by your Principle? 174 3
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 215 5
- Umbrella Company 188 4
- 100% Xero practice 2,176 39
- Mortgage deposit Gift 487 23
- Company Accounts 240 5
- Shadow director or alternative? 489 5
- UTR reallocated by HMRC 183 1
- Vat treatment of charity business income 143 6
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 940 18
- Getting VAT right for a sole trader pilot 206 6
- Donations (to a school!) 459 11
- Vat on Royalites 96 1
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 464 24
- Payroll YTD info on Operaii 92 1
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 184 5
- property rental income split 270 3
- Does my client qualify for CGT Loss? 179 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,191
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 411
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 316
- National Insurance 312
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 261
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 239
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 237
- Non Resident 226
- Franchise income and costs 206
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 182