Contact settlement re enquiry
I am in the process of concluding an enquiry with HMRC....
Figures for the tax understated have been suggested and I've negotiated them downwards.
My client does not accept the adjustments, but wishes to put the matter behind him and move forward. I have explained that there are week areas in the record keeping and he should therefore reach a settlement with HMRC based on the latest figures suggested.
The problem is that the inspector will not agree the amount of the penalty (or the interest, although I can estimate this) until my client has agreed the figures. Is he within his rights to so this. Being sceptical I think he'll now load the penalty to recover some of the tax he has lost in the negotiations!
Is my client now entitled to make an offer (a contact settlement?)
This is a CTSA enquiry.
Thank you for your help.
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 166 2
- Will I need to resign? 571 9
- Old CGT loss 274 8
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 674 21
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 408 20
- What are the implications for a UK company director resident in Canada 44 3
- New Starter Checklist 111 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 314 8
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 391 7
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 1,025 16
- How to explain this to someone 122 1
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,400 20
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 141 5
- Should Nominal Ledger be given to new accountant 615 15
- Charges for VAT MOSS 219 1
- Limited company purchase of property 500 4
- Goodwill complications 291 6
- Tax relief for VAT assessment 81 1
- How much of your work is admin? 858 9
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 229 4
- TheTax Donut 1,067
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 710
- Follower cases 508
- Hive up 444
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 410
- corporate hierarchy 402
- LIVE chat, starting now 383
- Advice - 221
- Amortisation of Goodwill 190
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 189