Contact settlement re enquiry
I am in the process of concluding an enquiry with HMRC....
Figures for the tax understated have been suggested and I've negotiated them downwards.
My client does not accept the adjustments, but wishes to put the matter behind him and move forward. I have explained that there are week areas in the record keeping and he should therefore reach a settlement with HMRC based on the latest figures suggested.
The problem is that the inspector will not agree the amount of the penalty (or the interest, although I can estimate this) until my client has agreed the figures. Is he within his rights to so this. Being sceptical I think he'll now load the penalty to recover some of the tax he has lost in the negotiations!
Is my client now entitled to make an offer (a contact settlement?)
This is a CTSA enquiry.
Thank you for your help.
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 383 11
- Has been asked before but help needed 160 7
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 177 6
- Buy to let allowable interest 32 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 282 4
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 388 5
- Your fondest calculator memories 480 25
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 308 13
- Consequential loss claim 45 1
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 177 11
- private to company car? 94 2
- Does anyone do payrolling of benefits? 121 1
- Sub-contractor provided with a vehicle 224 8
- Sale of an investment between group companies 103 4
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 859 32
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 395 12
- RTI - EPS - ??? 263 4
- That old chestnut 602 9
- Sale of part of business & Entrepreneur's Relief 71 1
- Partner with an IVA 117 4
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 443
- CTA study material 409
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 298
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 271
- Pre incorp expenses 264
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 233
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 227
- Slight twist on employment related securities 202
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 173
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 170