Contact settlement re enquiry
I am in the process of concluding an enquiry with HMRC....
Figures for the tax understated have been suggested and I've negotiated them downwards.
My client does not accept the adjustments, but wishes to put the matter behind him and move forward. I have explained that there are week areas in the record keeping and he should therefore reach a settlement with HMRC based on the latest figures suggested.
The problem is that the inspector will not agree the amount of the penalty (or the interest, although I can estimate this) until my client has agreed the figures. Is he within his rights to so this. Being sceptical I think he'll now load the penalty to recover some of the tax he has lost in the negotiations!
Is my client now entitled to make an offer (a contact settlement?)
This is a CTSA enquiry.
Thank you for your help.
- When to top-up pensions? 98 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 139 3
- Support / ticketing software 309 11
- Withdrawal of a quote 273 6
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 571 14
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 291 3
- Imported goods and VAT 103 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 420 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 569 11
- Stamp Duty 145 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,829 22
- Company Number 10000000 964 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 354 5
- CGT on lost shares/scam 194 3
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 439 3
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,823 29
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 434 9
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 212 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 333 5
- Best software for small practice? 838 24
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 793
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 282
- DTA tie-breaker issue 279
- CGT for NOn UK residents 241
- Apprenticeship Levy 214
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 210
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 207
- Just checking re PSA 194
- Capital Gains personal representatives 187