Contact settlement re enquiry
I am in the process of concluding an enquiry with HMRC....
Figures for the tax understated have been suggested and I've negotiated them downwards.
My client does not accept the adjustments, but wishes to put the matter behind him and move forward. I have explained that there are week areas in the record keeping and he should therefore reach a settlement with HMRC based on the latest figures suggested.
The problem is that the inspector will not agree the amount of the penalty (or the interest, although I can estimate this) until my client has agreed the figures. Is he within his rights to so this. Being sceptical I think he'll now load the penalty to recover some of the tax he has lost in the negotiations!
Is my client now entitled to make an offer (a contact settlement?)
This is a CTSA enquiry.
Thank you for your help.
- Unallocated client money 427 10
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 2,013 41
- Errors in prior year accounts 887 24
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,454 26
- Expenses Apps 258 5
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,698 25
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 553 10
- VAT & capitalising 157 3
- Final year's accounts 184 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 367 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 326 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 328 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 293 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 169 2
- What are options for non CA firm 1,999 36
- Invoice Help 266 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 210 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 275 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 260 3
- Sorry ignore me 935 24
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 627
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 534
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 299
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 246
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 195
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 193
- Probiz 180
- Married woman dies owning marital home 175
- What's the market like for temps? 169