Contact settlement re enquiry
I am in the process of concluding an enquiry with HMRC....
Figures for the tax understated have been suggested and I've negotiated them downwards.
My client does not accept the adjustments, but wishes to put the matter behind him and move forward. I have explained that there are week areas in the record keeping and he should therefore reach a settlement with HMRC based on the latest figures suggested.
The problem is that the inspector will not agree the amount of the penalty (or the interest, although I can estimate this) until my client has agreed the figures. Is he within his rights to so this. Being sceptical I think he'll now load the penalty to recover some of the tax he has lost in the negotiations!
Is my client now entitled to make an offer (a contact settlement?)
This is a CTSA enquiry.
Thank you for your help.
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,328 49
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 929 26
- BrightPay quirks 306 4
- Registering with HMRC for VAT cash accounting 35 1
- Closing down loss-making company 32 1
- CT600 Software - anyone else having issues? 416 11
- Xerocon 2016 1,311 38
- Letter to new accountants and whether to mention criminal conviction. 112 2
- VAT disaggregation 88 1
- Appointment of director 73 1
- Gift aid procedure please? 510 5
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 214 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 277 3
- Mortgage Reference 618 8
- Rounding errors on CT600 343 7
- Insovent companies 916 19
- New Build 257 1
- Website Content 241 1
- Personal Tax 673 12
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 236 1