Contact settlement re enquiry
I am in the process of concluding an enquiry with HMRC....
Figures for the tax understated have been suggested and I've negotiated them downwards.
My client does not accept the adjustments, but wishes to put the matter behind him and move forward. I have explained that there are week areas in the record keeping and he should therefore reach a settlement with HMRC based on the latest figures suggested.
The problem is that the inspector will not agree the amount of the penalty (or the interest, although I can estimate this) until my client has agreed the figures. Is he within his rights to so this. Being sceptical I think he'll now load the penalty to recover some of the tax he has lost in the negotiations!
Is my client now entitled to make an offer (a contact settlement?)
This is a CTSA enquiry.
Thank you for your help.
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 186 4
- SA302 278 6
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 232 4
- Go Cardless 327 9
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 205 3
- Hmrc software 218 3
- Mehjoo 266 1
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 107 1
- Hosted email exchange 172 5
- South African Government Pension 180 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 165 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 283 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 309 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 244 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 149 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 285 7
- New Email Extensions 199 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 317 2
- Dental practice incorpration 156 1
- Audit rules 182 4
- Xtuple 510
- Qtac payroll for bureau 349
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 293
- Industrial & Provident Societies 284
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 226
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 175
- Domain name sale and limited company 170
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 169
- CIS schemes 162
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 144