Contra / Set off between debtor and creditor
Please help am wondering if I have dreamt this!
When you have suppliers that are also customers and you want to 'contra' / 'set off' the suppliers invoice against one we have sent to him as our customer do we have to write to him to advise & formalise this between us - or can I just do it and send him the balance (which we owe him - on this occasion)?
I thought I'd read somewhere of the risks of doing this if our business is subsequently involved in bankruptcy / liquidation etc etc.
Many thanks as always.
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,087 20
- QBO VAT box 2 and 4 125 1
- VAT - Check on clients business 600 25
- Transfer of a trade WITHOUT assets? 118 1
- Amend a 2010/11 return 119 1
- Advanced SMP, but employee returns to work early 168 1
- How to deal with prior year error 166 2
- Repaying Directors Loans within 9 months 536 19
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,342 33
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,050 20
- Tax Calculations 657 10
- Tax Fines - HMRC 414 4
- Exemption from CGT 246 2
- VAT Registration 252 3
- Digita Users - Can you please confirm? 467 14
- Autumn statement predictions 444 8
- ACCA Practising Certificate Holder 348 4
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 196 3
- Moneysoft error 436 7
- Repaying Directors loan by transferring an asset 649 26