date interest taxable
After prolonged negotiations a client received substantial settlement from local council.
The "global" settlement of circa £70000 was said to include "£23000 over and above the fair value of land (£32000)cpo'd in 1995 plus interest and all costs including any claim for loss of trade" which had not been quantified.
I am proposing to deal as follows
Capital disposal 55000 less costs paid out
The total amount was paid to client 7th April 2000 by their solicitor.
As the solicitor must have received the funds before 5th April I assume it is taxable 1999/2000.
The disposal will fall in 1999/00 also as the final agreement was reached in July 1999.
Any advice/ comments
- are we that stupid 852 19
- Foster Care 35 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 330 5
- letter of reference 130 1
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 55 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 272 3
- Flat Management Company 191 1
- Share structure questions - close company 168 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 160 4
- Income prior to company formation 336 9
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 723 12
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 308 5
- Forbes Computer Systems - Practice Management (CRM) 123 1
- Can I sell my own equipment to my business? 526 5
- Practice software 1,420 20
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 362 1
- Company leaving VAT group 169 4
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 611 18
- Staff training 1,551 13
- Goodwill on incorporation 281 2
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 327
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 286
- French ConnectionUK 267
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 246
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 216
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 214
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 151
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 148
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 148
- Indian Provident Fund 146