date interest taxable
After prolonged negotiations a client received substantial settlement from local council.
The "global" settlement of circa £70000 was said to include "£23000 over and above the fair value of land (£32000)cpo'd in 1995 plus interest and all costs including any claim for loss of trade" which had not been quantified.
I am proposing to deal as follows
Capital disposal 55000 less costs paid out
The total amount was paid to client 7th April 2000 by their solicitor.
As the solicitor must have received the funds before 5th April I assume it is taxable 1999/2000.
The disposal will fall in 1999/00 also as the final agreement was reached in July 1999.
Any advice/ comments
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 349 11
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 1,129 24
- IHT400 or IHT205 - disagree with solicitor 87 1
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 240 4
- I forgiven loan an Output? 136 2
- V T Software 111 2
- Thinning income 325 3
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 104 3
- SA302's - What's the deal? 326 4
- tax credits 223 4
- Past rental expenses 94 1
- What do do about VAT? 526 15
- Buying a company for £2000 from owner how it works? 264 5
- Not a question but made my day 1,129 22
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 184 2
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 202 4
- Audacity 1,318 22
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 692 8
- partnership first tax return 150 1
- Payroll got out of synch 383 11
- NHS finance professionals 592
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 389
- Foreign Pension Contribution 362
- vat gross profit percentage margins 333
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 323
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 303
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 271
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 224
- IFA income recognition & reporting 198
- Incorporating doctors 192