date interest taxable
After prolonged negotiations a client received substantial settlement from local council.
The "global" settlement of circa £70000 was said to include "£23000 over and above the fair value of land (£32000)cpo'd in 1995 plus interest and all costs including any claim for loss of trade" which had not been quantified.
I am proposing to deal as follows
Capital disposal 55000 less costs paid out
The total amount was paid to client 7th April 2000 by their solicitor.
As the solicitor must have received the funds before 5th April I assume it is taxable 1999/2000.
The disposal will fall in 1999/00 also as the final agreement was reached in July 1999.
Any advice/ comments
- Capital Gain? 407 11
- IHT Query 65 2
- Reversing out RTI 116 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 297 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 847 22
- Gift or Capital Gain? 300 8
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 271 6
- BrightPay 612 18
- Classic cars investment 241 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 232 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 322 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 347 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 272 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 272 2
- H&W company 251 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 206 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 173 2
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 188 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 810 32
- VAT silly question 2,416 56
- Benchmarking 496
- Possible Partnership? 439
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 414
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 414
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 359
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 214
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 211
- Clubs and Taxable Income 203
- Income tax on foreign dividends 194
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 188