The demise of C16 - an opportunity?
As most of us know, extra statutory concession C16 is on its last legs and will probably be replaced by legislation which (HMRC propose) will be exactly the same except that final distributions will only be taxed as capital gains if they are £4,000 or less. Apparently £4,000 is the typical cost to a small company of appointing a liquidator and going through a formal winding-up. Obviously they think that any company with more than that can afford to go down the liquidation route. It's also coincidentally the same amount that the Crown won't bother to chase if the share capital is re-paid.
Assuming this law goes through as proposed, it opens up an interesting possibility. Could it be worth accountants getting an insolvency license in order to specialise in those SMEs who will now be forced to wind-up rather than pay shedloads of tax on a final dividend?
I must confess, I don't know a lot about insolvency, but I assume there isn't much to it apart from a creditors meeting, advertising in the Gazette, drawing up a list of assets, chasing anyone who owes money, paying off the creditors and making sure no-one has taken money from the company illegally. For a sole owner/manager who just wants to get rid of his company and take the remaining cash as tax efficiently as possible, I would imagine this would be a straightforward process, almost a case of going through the motions.
Insolvency practitioners will charge an arm and a leg for this. We could do it for a fraction of the cost without too much work or risk for a one-man company. The only problem I can foresee is all those people who pay themselves illegal dividends, and what to do about them.
But what are the requirements for an insolvency license? Do you need any special qualifications? How much will the PII be? Would it be worth it just to cherry pick the easy jobs? There are bound to be loads of those so it sounds like a good opportunity to me. Would be interesting to know what others think, especially existing IPs.
- payroll software 343 3
- Instant CPD offer 249 3
- Income from rent charged to business 37 1
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 414 5
- Statutory sick pay 275 4
- Dividend in specie 351 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 205 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 165 3
- Cash basis 471 12
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 136 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 262 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 290 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 157 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 344 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,845 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 322 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 232 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 94 1
- Investor exit 191 3
- Partially exempt? 372 10
- Skandia using wrong address 561
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 305
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 302
- Employee rewards 285
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 241
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 223
- Etax Australian 183
- LLP in Construction Industry 147
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 129
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 129