The demise of C16 - an opportunity?
As most of us know, extra statutory concession C16 is on its last legs and will probably be replaced by legislation which (HMRC propose) will be exactly the same except that final distributions will only be taxed as capital gains if they are £4,000 or less. Apparently £4,000 is the typical cost to a small company of appointing a liquidator and going through a formal winding-up. Obviously they think that any company with more than that can afford to go down the liquidation route. It's also coincidentally the same amount that the Crown won't bother to chase if the share capital is re-paid.
Assuming this law goes through as proposed, it opens up an interesting possibility. Could it be worth accountants getting an insolvency license in order to specialise in those SMEs who will now be forced to wind-up rather than pay shedloads of tax on a final dividend?
I must confess, I don't know a lot about insolvency, but I assume there isn't much to it apart from a creditors meeting, advertising in the Gazette, drawing up a list of assets, chasing anyone who owes money, paying off the creditors and making sure no-one has taken money from the company illegally. For a sole owner/manager who just wants to get rid of his company and take the remaining cash as tax efficiently as possible, I would imagine this would be a straightforward process, almost a case of going through the motions.
Insolvency practitioners will charge an arm and a leg for this. We could do it for a fraction of the cost without too much work or risk for a one-man company. The only problem I can foresee is all those people who pay themselves illegal dividends, and what to do about them.
But what are the requirements for an insolvency license? Do you need any special qualifications? How much will the PII be? Would it be worth it just to cherry pick the easy jobs? There are bound to be loads of those so it sounds like a good opportunity to me. Would be interesting to know what others think, especially existing IPs.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 689 5
- See you all on the other side 727 6
- 12Pay 493 2
- dividends 684 2
- R&D 344 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,206 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 459 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 450 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 401 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 562 5
- Seeking a tax case 670 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 533 4
- Companies house strike off 611 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 456 2
- Moving to the cloud 765 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 224 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 927 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 226 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,109 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 517 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 570
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 424
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 378
- IRIS and FRS 102 359
- Capitalising Finance Lease 337
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 333
- USA help 324
- Marginal rates of tax 323
- Class 2 NI 310
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 302