The demise of C16 - an opportunity?
As most of us know, extra statutory concession C16 is on its last legs and will probably be replaced by legislation which (HMRC propose) will be exactly the same except that final distributions will only be taxed as capital gains if they are £4,000 or less. Apparently £4,000 is the typical cost to a small company of appointing a liquidator and going through a formal winding-up. Obviously they think that any company with more than that can afford to go down the liquidation route. It's also coincidentally the same amount that the Crown won't bother to chase if the share capital is re-paid.
Assuming this law goes through as proposed, it opens up an interesting possibility. Could it be worth accountants getting an insolvency license in order to specialise in those SMEs who will now be forced to wind-up rather than pay shedloads of tax on a final dividend?
I must confess, I don't know a lot about insolvency, but I assume there isn't much to it apart from a creditors meeting, advertising in the Gazette, drawing up a list of assets, chasing anyone who owes money, paying off the creditors and making sure no-one has taken money from the company illegally. For a sole owner/manager who just wants to get rid of his company and take the remaining cash as tax efficiently as possible, I would imagine this would be a straightforward process, almost a case of going through the motions.
Insolvency practitioners will charge an arm and a leg for this. We could do it for a fraction of the cost without too much work or risk for a one-man company. The only problem I can foresee is all those people who pay themselves illegal dividends, and what to do about them.
But what are the requirements for an insolvency license? Do you need any special qualifications? How much will the PII be? Would it be worth it just to cherry pick the easy jobs? There are bound to be loads of those so it sounds like a good opportunity to me. Would be interesting to know what others think, especially existing IPs.
- Two sole traders working at same shop 413 3
- Unhappy client over fees 1,491 36
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 1,075 13
- Profit split /Rent 136 3
- Is it possible and what should be done? 224 3
- Capital Gains Tax and Enhancement 109 2
- Do HMRC impose harsher penalties on unrepresented taxpayers? 237 3
- Accounting software for investment holding company 200 2
- Disposal of freehold from Ltd Co to another Ltd in a newly formed group 110 1
- Is a Business Bank Account compulsory for a sole trader? 296 5
- Multi user accounting software 166 2
- S455 tax on existing loans on becoming a participator 137 1
- Does QuickBooks Online have aged debtors and creditors reports? 232 2
- Remortgage costs on redidential lettings 224 2
- Self-employed: claiming expenses initially paid by somebody else 424 11
- do i need an online accounting software 567 7
- VAT DIY self build shceme 141 1
- COMPANIES HOUSE - DOWN LOAD FREE ACCOUNTS 705 17
- Employee expenses & benefits - bringing myself up to date 263 1
- Backdating Partnership registration to 14/15 1,045 16
- NHS finance professionals 795
- Foreign Pension Contribution 480
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 474
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 410
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 380
- IFA income recognition & reporting 282
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 270
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 258
- When is sale recognised in an agency who receives commission? 228
- FRM claim for travel to training course 228