Destruction of old files
I went paperless 2/3 years ago and have a room full of files etc going back 10 years. I'm trying to decide how much I can send for destruction.
I'm torn between the requirements of the Data Protection Act to destroy as soon as there is no longer a reasonable need to keep, as opposed to the Limitation Statute which suggests I keep stuff for 6 years to defend myself against negligence claims, and as opposed to HMRC record keeping requirements which basically mean 6 years.
So far, I've concluded that for clients for whom I've done no work for the past six years (i.e. 2003/4 year ends), it's safe to destroy because the HMRC period has elapsed as has the limitation statute, and I therefore don't reasonable have a reason to keep under the DPA. That's fair enough (I Think??).
What about ongoing clients? Should I be destroying their files for 2003/4 and earlier years as well? My plan would be a quick review of each file to pick out anything of ongoing significance, i.e. permanent file items but shred the main working papers etc. Is this sensible, or would I be best to keep it all until the client leaves? I must admit I'm a little apprehensive about destroying older files for current clients but do I have a reasonable need to keep everything under the DPA?
Finally, what about limited companies that have been struck off - do I still have to keep? Presumably if the co is struck off, it can't sue me for negligence and HMRC are unlikely to re-open especially if they've given clearance under ESCC16. Is there a case for earlier destruction for ltd co clients rather than keeping for the 6 years?
I'd be interested to hear of anyone else's destruction policy. I've contacted my professional body (ACCA) but they wouldn't give any real information - just parrotted off the limitation statute, DPA requirements and HMRC record keeping time periods (which I already knew) but refused to give me a clue as to how it works in practice and how the opposing forces can be reconciled.
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 125 3
- Software recommendations 222 1
- Share transfer question 344 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 277 7
- The stupidity continues 322 10
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 142 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,381 19
- Overlap relief 745 19
- What is IRIS World like? 343 8
- Pension contributions 357 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 129 4
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 471 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 159 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 456 9
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 254 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 201 1
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 555 10
- New Employers Helpline 158 3
- Budget 2015 - take two 223 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 211 4
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 433
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 428
- WIP Software 292
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 286
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 224
- No payroll scheme in place 223
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 204
- Is there anything wrong with this? 195
- Small Part Disposal of Property 176
- Uncommercial property business 173