Destruction of old files
I went paperless 2/3 years ago and have a room full of files etc going back 10 years. I'm trying to decide how much I can send for destruction.
I'm torn between the requirements of the Data Protection Act to destroy as soon as there is no longer a reasonable need to keep, as opposed to the Limitation Statute which suggests I keep stuff for 6 years to defend myself against negligence claims, and as opposed to HMRC record keeping requirements which basically mean 6 years.
So far, I've concluded that for clients for whom I've done no work for the past six years (i.e. 2003/4 year ends), it's safe to destroy because the HMRC period has elapsed as has the limitation statute, and I therefore don't reasonable have a reason to keep under the DPA. That's fair enough (I Think??).
What about ongoing clients? Should I be destroying their files for 2003/4 and earlier years as well? My plan would be a quick review of each file to pick out anything of ongoing significance, i.e. permanent file items but shred the main working papers etc. Is this sensible, or would I be best to keep it all until the client leaves? I must admit I'm a little apprehensive about destroying older files for current clients but do I have a reasonable need to keep everything under the DPA?
Finally, what about limited companies that have been struck off - do I still have to keep? Presumably if the co is struck off, it can't sue me for negligence and HMRC are unlikely to re-open especially if they've given clearance under ESCC16. Is there a case for earlier destruction for ltd co clients rather than keeping for the 6 years?
I'd be interested to hear of anyone else's destruction policy. I've contacted my professional body (ACCA) but they wouldn't give any real information - just parrotted off the limitation statute, DPA requirements and HMRC record keeping time periods (which I already knew) but refused to give me a clue as to how it works in practice and how the opposing forces can be reconciled.
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,771 27
- Value pricing 242 9
- Undeclared Self Employment 1,568 12
- Audit Required 115 3
- company secretarial software 147 2
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 156 3
- Elective DeductionsModel 66 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 189 1
- Rental Income 303 6
- Payroll 2012/13 109 1
- I have a pain 699 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 89 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 181 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 738 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 127 3
- Cash flow 150 2
- New use of home - simplified method 256 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 271 5
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 403 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,960 32
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 734
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 502
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 349
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 343
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 265
- VAT on Gaming Machines 216
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 203
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 187
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 179
- Director Loan account operation 151