Destruction of old files
I went paperless 2/3 years ago and have a room full of files etc going back 10 years. I'm trying to decide how much I can send for destruction.
I'm torn between the requirements of the Data Protection Act to destroy as soon as there is no longer a reasonable need to keep, as opposed to the Limitation Statute which suggests I keep stuff for 6 years to defend myself against negligence claims, and as opposed to HMRC record keeping requirements which basically mean 6 years.
So far, I've concluded that for clients for whom I've done no work for the past six years (i.e. 2003/4 year ends), it's safe to destroy because the HMRC period has elapsed as has the limitation statute, and I therefore don't reasonable have a reason to keep under the DPA. That's fair enough (I Think??).
What about ongoing clients? Should I be destroying their files for 2003/4 and earlier years as well? My plan would be a quick review of each file to pick out anything of ongoing significance, i.e. permanent file items but shred the main working papers etc. Is this sensible, or would I be best to keep it all until the client leaves? I must admit I'm a little apprehensive about destroying older files for current clients but do I have a reasonable need to keep everything under the DPA?
Finally, what about limited companies that have been struck off - do I still have to keep? Presumably if the co is struck off, it can't sue me for negligence and HMRC are unlikely to re-open especially if they've given clearance under ESCC16. Is there a case for earlier destruction for ltd co clients rather than keeping for the 6 years?
I'd be interested to hear of anyone else's destruction policy. I've contacted my professional body (ACCA) but they wouldn't give any real information - just parrotted off the limitation statute, DPA requirements and HMRC record keeping time periods (which I already knew) but refused to give me a clue as to how it works in practice and how the opposing forces can be reconciled.
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 67 1
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 143 4
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 120 2
- Personal allowance 418 10
- Workshops centred around Xero 458 12
- Scams are not always obvious 691 19
- RTI, no payroll but BIK 121 1
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 126 2
- VAT on long lease in comercial property thathas opted to Tax 92 3
- Related party disclosures 172 3
- Input vat on my fees after deregistration 181 2
- Charity Buildings and Zero-rated Vat 82 1
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 616 17
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 236 4
- Vat query - EU customer requesting invoice without charging vat 252 8
- Is this legal? 624 9
- Market Value/Connected Persons 191 7
- Saying NO to a time wasters 1,994 23
- Cells from many sheets 126 2
- Taxation of rental income 218 4
- New Fangled Penalties 1,042
- Moving away from CCH software 902
- Recruitment agencies 528
- QROP pension input amounts 410
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 362
- Deemed Employment Payment 345
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 307
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 298
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 218
- fraud 217