Destruction of old files
I went paperless 2/3 years ago and have a room full of files etc going back 10 years. I'm trying to decide how much I can send for destruction.
I'm torn between the requirements of the Data Protection Act to destroy as soon as there is no longer a reasonable need to keep, as opposed to the Limitation Statute which suggests I keep stuff for 6 years to defend myself against negligence claims, and as opposed to HMRC record keeping requirements which basically mean 6 years.
So far, I've concluded that for clients for whom I've done no work for the past six years (i.e. 2003/4 year ends), it's safe to destroy because the HMRC period has elapsed as has the limitation statute, and I therefore don't reasonable have a reason to keep under the DPA. That's fair enough (I Think??).
What about ongoing clients? Should I be destroying their files for 2003/4 and earlier years as well? My plan would be a quick review of each file to pick out anything of ongoing significance, i.e. permanent file items but shred the main working papers etc. Is this sensible, or would I be best to keep it all until the client leaves? I must admit I'm a little apprehensive about destroying older files for current clients but do I have a reasonable need to keep everything under the DPA?
Finally, what about limited companies that have been struck off - do I still have to keep? Presumably if the co is struck off, it can't sue me for negligence and HMRC are unlikely to re-open especially if they've given clearance under ESCC16. Is there a case for earlier destruction for ltd co clients rather than keeping for the 6 years?
I'd be interested to hear of anyone else's destruction policy. I've contacted my professional body (ACCA) but they wouldn't give any real information - just parrotted off the limitation statute, DPA requirements and HMRC record keeping time periods (which I already knew) but refused to give me a clue as to how it works in practice and how the opposing forces can be reconciled.
- ACCA - still making me laugh 414 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 233 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 296 11
- Tax return software for remote working 452 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 482 9
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 784 24
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 408 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 438 9
- How to purchase business premises? 125 2
- Will I need to resign? 792 10
- Childcare vouchers 137 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 266 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 294 6
- VAT avoidance? 207 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 174 3
- PAYE coding out 164 3
- Follower cases 572 2
- LIVE chat, starting now 450 2
- Late Registration for VAT 448 12
- TheTax Donut 1,148 1
- Hive up 467
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 434
- corporate hierarchy 413
- Advice - 241
- Amortisation of Goodwill 211
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 199
- WWOOFers 194
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 175
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 173
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 168