Destruction of old files
I went paperless 2/3 years ago and have a room full of files etc going back 10 years. I'm trying to decide how much I can send for destruction.
I'm torn between the requirements of the Data Protection Act to destroy as soon as there is no longer a reasonable need to keep, as opposed to the Limitation Statute which suggests I keep stuff for 6 years to defend myself against negligence claims, and as opposed to HMRC record keeping requirements which basically mean 6 years.
So far, I've concluded that for clients for whom I've done no work for the past six years (i.e. 2003/4 year ends), it's safe to destroy because the HMRC period has elapsed as has the limitation statute, and I therefore don't reasonable have a reason to keep under the DPA. That's fair enough (I Think??).
What about ongoing clients? Should I be destroying their files for 2003/4 and earlier years as well? My plan would be a quick review of each file to pick out anything of ongoing significance, i.e. permanent file items but shred the main working papers etc. Is this sensible, or would I be best to keep it all until the client leaves? I must admit I'm a little apprehensive about destroying older files for current clients but do I have a reasonable need to keep everything under the DPA?
Finally, what about limited companies that have been struck off - do I still have to keep? Presumably if the co is struck off, it can't sue me for negligence and HMRC are unlikely to re-open especially if they've given clearance under ESCC16. Is there a case for earlier destruction for ltd co clients rather than keeping for the 6 years?
I'd be interested to hear of anyone else's destruction policy. I've contacted my professional body (ACCA) but they wouldn't give any real information - just parrotted off the limitation statute, DPA requirements and HMRC record keeping time periods (which I already knew) but refused to give me a clue as to how it works in practice and how the opposing forces can be reconciled.
- SA316s 118 3
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 21 1
- Swiching tax 509 15
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 721 23
- Proposal to strike off...... 494 10
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 509 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 365 11
- Start-up cost recognition 90 1
- Lunches 182 3
- Mortgage Adviser's request 378 8
- VAT on non-denominated postage 124 3
- Generic notification message 251 6
- Property Expenses 215 7
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 814 39
- Auto Enrolment (sorry) 120 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 501 13
- Accrued salary unpaid 256 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,196 18
- Basis periods 98 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 114 2
- Construction CIS LLP Company 599
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 590
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 385
- Pensions Regulator 350
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 289
- Using the correct forms 264
- SA penalty proposals 255
- RTI - duplicate employee record 251
- Accelerated payment notices 235
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 225