Destruction of old files
I went paperless 2/3 years ago and have a room full of files etc going back 10 years. I'm trying to decide how much I can send for destruction.
I'm torn between the requirements of the Data Protection Act to destroy as soon as there is no longer a reasonable need to keep, as opposed to the Limitation Statute which suggests I keep stuff for 6 years to defend myself against negligence claims, and as opposed to HMRC record keeping requirements which basically mean 6 years.
So far, I've concluded that for clients for whom I've done no work for the past six years (i.e. 2003/4 year ends), it's safe to destroy because the HMRC period has elapsed as has the limitation statute, and I therefore don't reasonable have a reason to keep under the DPA. That's fair enough (I Think??).
What about ongoing clients? Should I be destroying their files for 2003/4 and earlier years as well? My plan would be a quick review of each file to pick out anything of ongoing significance, i.e. permanent file items but shred the main working papers etc. Is this sensible, or would I be best to keep it all until the client leaves? I must admit I'm a little apprehensive about destroying older files for current clients but do I have a reasonable need to keep everything under the DPA?
Finally, what about limited companies that have been struck off - do I still have to keep? Presumably if the co is struck off, it can't sue me for negligence and HMRC are unlikely to re-open especially if they've given clearance under ESCC16. Is there a case for earlier destruction for ltd co clients rather than keeping for the 6 years?
I'd be interested to hear of anyone else's destruction policy. I've contacted my professional body (ACCA) but they wouldn't give any real information - just parrotted off the limitation statute, DPA requirements and HMRC record keeping time periods (which I already knew) but refused to give me a clue as to how it works in practice and how the opposing forces can be reconciled.
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 271 9
- Residential Management Companies 43 2
- Value pricing 2,824 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 370 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 354 11
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 813 34
- Payroll software for Mac 105 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 81 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 206 5
- CIS and Close Company 190 6
- LLP members share of profits 620 32
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 418 20
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 128 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 84 1
- Registered Office 80 2
- Winding up a beneficiary will trust 101 1
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 286 7
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 533 17
- 64-8 on paper or online? 102 2
- Management fees agreement 158 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 932
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 657
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 385
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 329
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 252
- Paye procedures for CVA 241
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 238
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 183
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 180
- Pension Fixed Protection 179