Destruction of old files
I went paperless 2/3 years ago and have a room full of files etc going back 10 years. I'm trying to decide how much I can send for destruction.
I'm torn between the requirements of the Data Protection Act to destroy as soon as there is no longer a reasonable need to keep, as opposed to the Limitation Statute which suggests I keep stuff for 6 years to defend myself against negligence claims, and as opposed to HMRC record keeping requirements which basically mean 6 years.
So far, I've concluded that for clients for whom I've done no work for the past six years (i.e. 2003/4 year ends), it's safe to destroy because the HMRC period has elapsed as has the limitation statute, and I therefore don't reasonable have a reason to keep under the DPA. That's fair enough (I Think??).
What about ongoing clients? Should I be destroying their files for 2003/4 and earlier years as well? My plan would be a quick review of each file to pick out anything of ongoing significance, i.e. permanent file items but shred the main working papers etc. Is this sensible, or would I be best to keep it all until the client leaves? I must admit I'm a little apprehensive about destroying older files for current clients but do I have a reasonable need to keep everything under the DPA?
Finally, what about limited companies that have been struck off - do I still have to keep? Presumably if the co is struck off, it can't sue me for negligence and HMRC are unlikely to re-open especially if they've given clearance under ESCC16. Is there a case for earlier destruction for ltd co clients rather than keeping for the 6 years?
I'd be interested to hear of anyone else's destruction policy. I've contacted my professional body (ACCA) but they wouldn't give any real information - just parrotted off the limitation statute, DPA requirements and HMRC record keeping time periods (which I already knew) but refused to give me a clue as to how it works in practice and how the opposing forces can be reconciled.
- Allocation of income from property 571 20
- bookkeeping system 420 6
- Services by BVI Company for UK Company 55 1
- Sharing ODBC Excel Pivot Tables over network 105 2
- Company car in the LLP 79 1
- Sorry - another PPR question 115 1
- 64-8 problems 291 4
- flat rate scheme 1,773 37
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 861 11
- PPR relief - deemed residence? 307 9
- Unpaid share capital 187 2
- Bad debt receipt for dissolved company 126 1
- Private company division 262 3
- VAT Refunds 155 2
- Company van paid by director 300 3
- Hello 311 1
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,835 51
- Inputting previous months data into PAYE tools 201 4
- Employer reference not recognised? 195 2
- Business trips - director and family 315 2