Destruction of old files
I went paperless 2/3 years ago and have a room full of files etc going back 10 years. I'm trying to decide how much I can send for destruction.
I'm torn between the requirements of the Data Protection Act to destroy as soon as there is no longer a reasonable need to keep, as opposed to the Limitation Statute which suggests I keep stuff for 6 years to defend myself against negligence claims, and as opposed to HMRC record keeping requirements which basically mean 6 years.
So far, I've concluded that for clients for whom I've done no work for the past six years (i.e. 2003/4 year ends), it's safe to destroy because the HMRC period has elapsed as has the limitation statute, and I therefore don't reasonable have a reason to keep under the DPA. That's fair enough (I Think??).
What about ongoing clients? Should I be destroying their files for 2003/4 and earlier years as well? My plan would be a quick review of each file to pick out anything of ongoing significance, i.e. permanent file items but shred the main working papers etc. Is this sensible, or would I be best to keep it all until the client leaves? I must admit I'm a little apprehensive about destroying older files for current clients but do I have a reasonable need to keep everything under the DPA?
Finally, what about limited companies that have been struck off - do I still have to keep? Presumably if the co is struck off, it can't sue me for negligence and HMRC are unlikely to re-open especially if they've given clearance under ESCC16. Is there a case for earlier destruction for ltd co clients rather than keeping for the 6 years?
I'd be interested to hear of anyone else's destruction policy. I've contacted my professional body (ACCA) but they wouldn't give any real information - just parrotted off the limitation statute, DPA requirements and HMRC record keeping time periods (which I already knew) but refused to give me a clue as to how it works in practice and how the opposing forces can be reconciled.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 538 5
- See you all on the other side 649 6
- 12Pay 375 2
- dividends 523 2
- R&D 287 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,140 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 423 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 366 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 335 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 523 5
- Seeking a tax case 601 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 462 4
- Companies house strike off 472 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 377 2
- Moving to the cloud 717 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 207 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 868 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 196 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,077 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 469 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 548
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 414
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 365
- IRIS and FRS 102 347
- Capitalising Finance Lease 313
- USA help 309
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 289
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 280
- Capital gains on rental property 256
- Class 2 NI 232