Destruction of old files
I went paperless 2/3 years ago and have a room full of files etc going back 10 years. I'm trying to decide how much I can send for destruction.
I'm torn between the requirements of the Data Protection Act to destroy as soon as there is no longer a reasonable need to keep, as opposed to the Limitation Statute which suggests I keep stuff for 6 years to defend myself against negligence claims, and as opposed to HMRC record keeping requirements which basically mean 6 years.
So far, I've concluded that for clients for whom I've done no work for the past six years (i.e. 2003/4 year ends), it's safe to destroy because the HMRC period has elapsed as has the limitation statute, and I therefore don't reasonable have a reason to keep under the DPA. That's fair enough (I Think??).
What about ongoing clients? Should I be destroying their files for 2003/4 and earlier years as well? My plan would be a quick review of each file to pick out anything of ongoing significance, i.e. permanent file items but shred the main working papers etc. Is this sensible, or would I be best to keep it all until the client leaves? I must admit I'm a little apprehensive about destroying older files for current clients but do I have a reasonable need to keep everything under the DPA?
Finally, what about limited companies that have been struck off - do I still have to keep? Presumably if the co is struck off, it can't sue me for negligence and HMRC are unlikely to re-open especially if they've given clearance under ESCC16. Is there a case for earlier destruction for ltd co clients rather than keeping for the 6 years?
I'd be interested to hear of anyone else's destruction policy. I've contacted my professional body (ACCA) but they wouldn't give any real information - just parrotted off the limitation statute, DPA requirements and HMRC record keeping time periods (which I already knew) but refused to give me a clue as to how it works in practice and how the opposing forces can be reconciled.
- Tech Champion of the Year 247 6
- Xmas party 111 1
- Just because it's Friday 281 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,358 66
- Inheritance Tax - Simple Question 148 4
- Non-resident employer & employee 105 4
- Capital Allowances 151 4
- equipment rental 219 10
- Acquisition by company 114 5
- Non sequitur 538 7
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,493 23
- R&D on products not sold 99 3
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 907 13
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 195 4
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 642 9
- Transfer of land to family members 96 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 587 11
- The process of issuing dividend? 210 6
- Not registered for VAT. Germany wants proof! 235 5
- Pattern for CTA 322 7
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,365
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 436
- Alphabet shares 238
- Agent fees to sell business 230
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 227
- Charge out rates in London 181
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 168
- which entity 150
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 142
- confusion about 140