Destruction of old files
I went paperless 2/3 years ago and have a room full of files etc going back 10 years. I'm trying to decide how much I can send for destruction.
I'm torn between the requirements of the Data Protection Act to destroy as soon as there is no longer a reasonable need to keep, as opposed to the Limitation Statute which suggests I keep stuff for 6 years to defend myself against negligence claims, and as opposed to HMRC record keeping requirements which basically mean 6 years.
So far, I've concluded that for clients for whom I've done no work for the past six years (i.e. 2003/4 year ends), it's safe to destroy because the HMRC period has elapsed as has the limitation statute, and I therefore don't reasonable have a reason to keep under the DPA. That's fair enough (I Think??).
What about ongoing clients? Should I be destroying their files for 2003/4 and earlier years as well? My plan would be a quick review of each file to pick out anything of ongoing significance, i.e. permanent file items but shred the main working papers etc. Is this sensible, or would I be best to keep it all until the client leaves? I must admit I'm a little apprehensive about destroying older files for current clients but do I have a reasonable need to keep everything under the DPA?
Finally, what about limited companies that have been struck off - do I still have to keep? Presumably if the co is struck off, it can't sue me for negligence and HMRC are unlikely to re-open especially if they've given clearance under ESCC16. Is there a case for earlier destruction for ltd co clients rather than keeping for the 6 years?
I'd be interested to hear of anyone else's destruction policy. I've contacted my professional body (ACCA) but they wouldn't give any real information - just parrotted off the limitation statute, DPA requirements and HMRC record keeping time periods (which I already knew) but refused to give me a clue as to how it works in practice and how the opposing forces can be reconciled.
- Signed accounts for a lender 217 10
- Goodie bag 2,335 68
- Practising options 436 6
- Self-employed or Ltd Company or seek employment 389 10
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 470 5
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 223 7
- FreeAgent question 257 7
- Software recommendations? 371 5
- can I approach clients ? 649 10
- Latest scam e-mails 129 1
- BrightPay 939 27
- Budget 2015 predictions 599 14
- Regular Director bonus 189 3
- Have the new quarterly employer returns been finalised and where do you get them? 196 1
- accounting in estate agents 88 1
- Network marketing client - how does it work? 360 7
- Corporation Tax Software 229 5
- AAT or ATT 398 6
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 280 5
- Accts software 301 3
- Possible Partnership? 667
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 528
- New Fangled Penalties 460
- Fuming! 438
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 327
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 266
- Outsource Data Entry 247
- Moving away from CCH software 244
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 241
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 190