We have received a discovery letter for the periods 2002 and 2003, claiming that income has been received from property letting (personal).
However, the person concerned has not received any property income, during that time, previous periods, or even subsequent periods.
The letter claims that the inspector wishes to make a discovery under section 29 of the TMA 1970, I presume since the time for a normal enquiry has now lapsed.
What could be the real underlying reason for this "discovery" since the claim for property income is wrong, is the Inspector fishing for reasons to start a discovery (and we give them one by replying with unneccesary details)?
What is the best way to deal with such a request? My concern as stated above is that we wish to avoid giving a reason to open a discovery, mainly because of the waste of time and effort it will represent.
- Write off of former director's loan 293 7
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 128 6
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 222 5
- Flat rate vat error 45 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 74 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 82 1
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 509 10
- Which software for practice books? 365 15
- Illegal dividends and prior year accounts errors 230 6
- Pension contributions > £50k BRB effect 86 2
- VAT enquiry 155 2
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 485 15
- Inheritance tax 262 13
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 80 1
- Accountant software 311 8
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 155 3
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 297 6
- Tax residence 104 2
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 161 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,698 33
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 657
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 488
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 452
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 279
- How to format a stock book 238
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 198
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 192
- Tax efficient holding company structure 180
- Investment property company accounts template 168
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 165