Do women need positive discrimination?
I am not sure how this will work, but in the budget it has been announced that £12.5 million has been set aside to encourage women entrepreneurs. As with a lot of government initiatives I wouldnt be surprised if there are caveats on this limiting it to the long term unemployed.
As a woman entrepreneur, it may sound strange, but I find this slightly patronising. I am in my late 30s and apart from a minor incident in 1985 have never experienced any sexual discrimination in the workplace.
People are quoting statistics about the lack of females at board level but is that through discrimination or do less women want these roles?
Thinking of people I personally associate with , some are females with good jobs others would rather be at home and have no desire to hold down a demanding job.
I have always worked full time and in addition have been a single mother from when my children were babies. I also worked until the day before I gave birth with no. 2. I know this life would not be for a lot of people, hence I am in the boardroom, they are doing other things.
I feel we are in danger of getting to a stage when women in senior postions may be viewed as having got there through legislation rather than ability.
I would welcome any comments from any other females or males to see if I have been lucky and if discrimiation still exists.
- BTC is slow 252 3
- Voluntary Disclosure 186 2
- Director registration for SA question 449 17
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 174 3
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 319 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 494 22
- valuation of vehicles 402 16
- Business only use of company car 690 26
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 507 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 319 4
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 952 29
- New Company reviews please 544 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 310 4
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 258 2
- VAT with Russia 225 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 234 4
- Money Laundering Manual 304 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 249 2
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,122 29
- directors loan 366 8
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 298
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 244
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 240
- Any thoughts on Capium? 231
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 218
- auto enrolment 188
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 177
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 157
- How to account for investment in JV? 150
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 148