Do women need positive discrimination?
I am not sure how this will work, but in the budget it has been announced that £12.5 million has been set aside to encourage women entrepreneurs. As with a lot of government initiatives I wouldnt be surprised if there are caveats on this limiting it to the long term unemployed.
As a woman entrepreneur, it may sound strange, but I find this slightly patronising. I am in my late 30s and apart from a minor incident in 1985 have never experienced any sexual discrimination in the workplace.
People are quoting statistics about the lack of females at board level but is that through discrimination or do less women want these roles?
Thinking of people I personally associate with , some are females with good jobs others would rather be at home and have no desire to hold down a demanding job.
I have always worked full time and in addition have been a single mother from when my children were babies. I also worked until the day before I gave birth with no. 2. I know this life would not be for a lot of people, hence I am in the boardroom, they are doing other things.
I feel we are in danger of getting to a stage when women in senior postions may be viewed as having got there through legislation rather than ability.
I would welcome any comments from any other females or males to see if I have been lucky and if discrimiation still exists.
- Anyone else still working this week? 462 15
- How much does the company pay 813 35
- Which tax returns can I submit? 149 4
- Cocaine anyone? 883 14
- HMRC property income enquiry 444 10
- Proof of identification 111 2
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 140 4
- Sole Trader change of accounting date 122 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 303 5
- Using home as clients registered address 217 4
- Childcare vouchers 369 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 91 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 89 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 84 1
- two business from one premises 191 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 66 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 249 4
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 372 4
- Merry Christmas 149 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 105 3
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 509
- corporate hierarchy 479
- Advice - 328
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 278
- WWOOFers 266
- The booking.com con 250
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 249
- Cocaine anyone? 234
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 227
- UK State pension paid in NZ 178