Do women need positive discrimination?
I am not sure how this will work, but in the budget it has been announced that £12.5 million has been set aside to encourage women entrepreneurs. As with a lot of government initiatives I wouldnt be surprised if there are caveats on this limiting it to the long term unemployed.
As a woman entrepreneur, it may sound strange, but I find this slightly patronising. I am in my late 30s and apart from a minor incident in 1985 have never experienced any sexual discrimination in the workplace.
People are quoting statistics about the lack of females at board level but is that through discrimination or do less women want these roles?
Thinking of people I personally associate with , some are females with good jobs others would rather be at home and have no desire to hold down a demanding job.
I have always worked full time and in addition have been a single mother from when my children were babies. I also worked until the day before I gave birth with no. 2. I know this life would not be for a lot of people, hence I am in the boardroom, they are doing other things.
I feel we are in danger of getting to a stage when women in senior postions may be viewed as having got there through legislation rather than ability.
I would welcome any comments from any other females or males to see if I have been lucky and if discrimiation still exists.
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 537 11
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 350 5
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 198 3
- Incorporation of gp practise 120 1
- Love is in the air 376 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 246 9
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,996 46
- Very large share capital by mistake 275 3
- Client Paperwork Retention? 528 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 553 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 298 4
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 321 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 370 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 425 6
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,719 20
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 421 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 257 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 523 1
- Paying Son 675 18
- HMRC accounting 408 3
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- CGT for NOn UK residents 278
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 278
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 273
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 249
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 235
- Apprenticeship Levy 232
- Capital Gains personal representatives 217
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 210
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 190