Do women need positive discrimination?
I am not sure how this will work, but in the budget it has been announced that £12.5 million has been set aside to encourage women entrepreneurs. As with a lot of government initiatives I wouldnt be surprised if there are caveats on this limiting it to the long term unemployed.
As a woman entrepreneur, it may sound strange, but I find this slightly patronising. I am in my late 30s and apart from a minor incident in 1985 have never experienced any sexual discrimination in the workplace.
People are quoting statistics about the lack of females at board level but is that through discrimination or do less women want these roles?
Thinking of people I personally associate with , some are females with good jobs others would rather be at home and have no desire to hold down a demanding job.
I have always worked full time and in addition have been a single mother from when my children were babies. I also worked until the day before I gave birth with no. 2. I know this life would not be for a lot of people, hence I am in the boardroom, they are doing other things.
I feel we are in danger of getting to a stage when women in senior postions may be viewed as having got there through legislation rather than ability.
I would welcome any comments from any other females or males to see if I have been lucky and if discrimiation still exists.
- VAT flat rate scheme 176 3
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 252 8
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 233 4
- Client information from previous accountant 76 1
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 95 2
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 80 1
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 363 5
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 218 2
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 134 5
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,659 31
- PAYE NI 115 2
- quote for winding down two companies and file accounts 118 1
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 822 14
- How much to charge? 702 10
- break even point 1,007 30
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 180 5
- Accomodation and travel 206 1
- Unpaid Fee's 356 6
- Issue with a software supplier 242 4
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 317 5
- Possible Partnership? 514
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 497
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 469
- New Fangled Penalties 310
- Clubs and Taxable Income 260
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 258
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 251
- Loans to other companies 193
- Tasbook email configuration 186
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 170