Do women need positive discrimination?
I am not sure how this will work, but in the budget it has been announced that £12.5 million has been set aside to encourage women entrepreneurs. As with a lot of government initiatives I wouldnt be surprised if there are caveats on this limiting it to the long term unemployed.
As a woman entrepreneur, it may sound strange, but I find this slightly patronising. I am in my late 30s and apart from a minor incident in 1985 have never experienced any sexual discrimination in the workplace.
People are quoting statistics about the lack of females at board level but is that through discrimination or do less women want these roles?
Thinking of people I personally associate with , some are females with good jobs others would rather be at home and have no desire to hold down a demanding job.
I have always worked full time and in addition have been a single mother from when my children were babies. I also worked until the day before I gave birth with no. 2. I know this life would not be for a lot of people, hence I am in the boardroom, they are doing other things.
I feel we are in danger of getting to a stage when women in senior postions may be viewed as having got there through legislation rather than ability.
I would welcome any comments from any other females or males to see if I have been lucky and if discrimiation still exists.
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 230 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 103 2
- Non VAT invoices 100 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 239 8
- Time to ditch Sage? 90 1
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,347 32
- Fees 110 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 232 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 173 2
- Form 17 Download 91 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 533 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 366 4
- HMRC Information notice 982 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 264 3
- Accountant Specialization. 369 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,744 42
- Sage Line 50 168 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 174 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 442 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 388 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 751
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 410
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 362
- Electric Car 297
- S222 Charge 243
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 202
- IP trans to holding company 192
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 173
- AIA 172