Does a directorship with no income need to be included on self-assessment tax return?
A client is in full time employment (elsewhere) but is also a director.shareholder of a small company that has not made any profits yet, and from which there was absolutely no intention of taking a salary, and no other employees, a PAYE scheme has not been registered.
HMR&C are now insisting on a tax return being filed, and saying that we were wrong not to include the directorship on the previous return with nil income.
My understanding is that an employment without a PAYE reference number cannot be returned under self-assessment, and in any case where does it say that you have to return zero income (no doubt I will be proved wrong and it does say so somewhere!)?
If we follow the logic being put forward, everyone who is an officer of a charity should be declaring there zero income on a tax return, and if they don't have a tax return for any other reason they have to request one.
Could someone clarify the situation please? Thanks.
- Looking to move my email from PC to cloud 102 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 736 13
- letter of reference 174 3
- Software for Accounts layout 363 7
- Non-resident company director 76 1
- Can this be done? 174 1
- Staff 78 2
- are we that stupid 924 20
- Capital Allowance & AIA 101 1
- Foster Care 106 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 345 5
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 95 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 296 3
- Flat Management Company 207 1
- Share structure questions - close company 187 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 176 4
- Income prior to company formation 341 9
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 341 5
- Forbes Computer Systems - Practice Management (CRM) 137 1
- Can I sell my own equipment to my business? 538 5
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 330
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 287
- French ConnectionUK 267
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 250
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 217
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 217
- CentreCRM - anybody using it? 159
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 152
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 152
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 148