Does a directorship with no income need to be included on self-assessment tax return?
A client is in full time employment (elsewhere) but is also a director.shareholder of a small company that has not made any profits yet, and from which there was absolutely no intention of taking a salary, and no other employees, a PAYE scheme has not been registered.
HMR&C are now insisting on a tax return being filed, and saying that we were wrong not to include the directorship on the previous return with nil income.
My understanding is that an employment without a PAYE reference number cannot be returned under self-assessment, and in any case where does it say that you have to return zero income (no doubt I will be proved wrong and it does say so somewhere!)?
If we follow the logic being put forward, everyone who is an officer of a charity should be declaring there zero income on a tax return, and if they don't have a tax return for any other reason they have to request one.
Could someone clarify the situation please? Thanks.
- Sage payroll alternatives 597 12
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 423 7
- More AE! 635 14
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 37 1
- Should I move back home away from my office? 316 6
- IT advisory questions? 81 4
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 70 4
- Entrepreneurs Relief 743 41
- PAYE 1,550 17
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 467 6
- Scanners 72 1
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 1,085 16
- Relevance of UK Residency 108 2
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 107 3
- Invoice dispute 582 5
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 255 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 420 9
- Property inheritance by overseas resident 95 1
- 2013-14 Tax Return-Transparent Benchmarks? 128 1
- IHT dilemma 1,336 20
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,138
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 790
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 475
- Digita Hosted Software 313
- Credit where credit's due....... 253
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 218
- Director phone costs 217
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 186
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 160
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 147