Does a directorship with no income need to be included on self-assessment tax return?
A client is in full time employment (elsewhere) but is also a director.shareholder of a small company that has not made any profits yet, and from which there was absolutely no intention of taking a salary, and no other employees, a PAYE scheme has not been registered.
HMR&C are now insisting on a tax return being filed, and saying that we were wrong not to include the directorship on the previous return with nil income.
My understanding is that an employment without a PAYE reference number cannot be returned under self-assessment, and in any case where does it say that you have to return zero income (no doubt I will be proved wrong and it does say so somewhere!)?
If we follow the logic being put forward, everyone who is an officer of a charity should be declaring there zero income on a tax return, and if they don't have a tax return for any other reason they have to request one.
Could someone clarify the situation please? Thanks.
- Fee base v staff ratio 115 3
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 268 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 185 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 37 1
- Investor exit 164 3
- Partially exempt? 346 10
- Debtor/creditor set-off 81 1
- Redundancy payment added to p45 356 3
- Undeclared rental income 2,122 22
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 349 4
- Cash basis 373 10
- Statutory sick pay 215 3
- Overseas bank interest 208 5
- Contractor accommodation expenses 145 1
- Kasperskey - home pc 348 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 207 2
- Rental Income Tax Planning 304 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,934 589
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 1,383 12
- Lorry Drivers 397 5
- Skandia using wrong address 549
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 296
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 292
- Employee rewards 281
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 258
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 245
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 234
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 217
- Etax Australian 179
- LLP in Construction Industry 143