Does a directorship with no income need to be included on self-assessment tax return?
A client is in full time employment (elsewhere) but is also a director.shareholder of a small company that has not made any profits yet, and from which there was absolutely no intention of taking a salary, and no other employees, a PAYE scheme has not been registered.
HMR&C are now insisting on a tax return being filed, and saying that we were wrong not to include the directorship on the previous return with nil income.
My understanding is that an employment without a PAYE reference number cannot be returned under self-assessment, and in any case where does it say that you have to return zero income (no doubt I will be proved wrong and it does say so somewhere!)?
If we follow the logic being put forward, everyone who is an officer of a charity should be declaring there zero income on a tax return, and if they don't have a tax return for any other reason they have to request one.
Could someone clarify the situation please? Thanks.
- What is the law regarding selling your Ltd company to another? 74 7
- Employer Allowance & Transfer of Business 28 1
- Summer festivals! 325 13
- Do you need to account for a director loan separate from the current account 165 2
- Do accountants work at home? 781 21
- Can I pay into a pension? 262 8
- The Accountancy Party: What’s in your manifesto? 245 5
- Tax Implications for Selling a Subsidiary 59 2
- SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS 150 4
- Selling a property at a loss. Does HMRC still require a tax return 41 1
- I used to think HMRC contact lines couldnt get any worse................ 417 11
- Merging my businesses 291 4
- Where has Portia gone? 6,443 122
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 881 22
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 257 1
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 1,098 19
- new investor structure 223 1
- Furnished Holiday Lets & VAT 180 7
- Overlap profit 375 8
- VAT on Security Services to Foreign Companies. 109 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 885
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 472
- Sanzar 362
- Digital marketing focus group 319
- Fit for purpose 215
- career 189
- Continuity Agreement 188
- Buyback 179
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 170
- Isle of Man payroll 168