Does a directorship with no income need to be included on self-assessment tax return?
A client is in full time employment (elsewhere) but is also a director.shareholder of a small company that has not made any profits yet, and from which there was absolutely no intention of taking a salary, and no other employees, a PAYE scheme has not been registered.
HMR&C are now insisting on a tax return being filed, and saying that we were wrong not to include the directorship on the previous return with nil income.
My understanding is that an employment without a PAYE reference number cannot be returned under self-assessment, and in any case where does it say that you have to return zero income (no doubt I will be proved wrong and it does say so somewhere!)?
If we follow the logic being put forward, everyone who is an officer of a charity should be declaring there zero income on a tax return, and if they don't have a tax return for any other reason they have to request one.
Could someone clarify the situation please? Thanks.
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,976 70
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 205 5
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,944 47
- inflation rate year on year 179 4
- Accounts Question 150 5
- Deleted question? 755 19
- What are options for non CA firm 3,210 67
- MAAT vs ACCA 726 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,410 24
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 666 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 456 4
- VAT Return Errors 198 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 155 5
- Yorkshire Day 616 38
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 196 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 384 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 153 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 298 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 242 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 158 1
- Cancelled 471
- Cancelled 388
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 379
- Probiz 358
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 264
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 238
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 233
- More spam 184
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 162
- Employee Benefit Trust 154