Does a directorship with no income need to be included on self-assessment tax return?
A client is in full time employment (elsewhere) but is also a director.shareholder of a small company that has not made any profits yet, and from which there was absolutely no intention of taking a salary, and no other employees, a PAYE scheme has not been registered.
HMR&C are now insisting on a tax return being filed, and saying that we were wrong not to include the directorship on the previous return with nil income.
My understanding is that an employment without a PAYE reference number cannot be returned under self-assessment, and in any case where does it say that you have to return zero income (no doubt I will be proved wrong and it does say so somewhere!)?
If we follow the logic being put forward, everyone who is an officer of a charity should be declaring there zero income on a tax return, and if they don't have a tax return for any other reason they have to request one.
Could someone clarify the situation please? Thanks.
- Not renewing AAT 568 7
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,649 50
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 421 9
- New dividend taxation 252 1
- Company formation and bank account 331 9
- Next Move 603 18
- Owning overseas property 283 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 273 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 193 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 672 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 592 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 225 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 403 8
- OneNote is fantastic 538 11
- VAT Direct Debit 377 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 462 8
- Self Assessment Software 694 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 448 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,367 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 298 11
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 662
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 405
- Property letting & CAs 395
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 389
- 2015 tax year end 388
- FCA regulated company in a small group 343
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 295
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 235
- DTA tie-breaker issue 203
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 202