Does a directorship with no income need to be included on self-assessment tax return?
A client is in full time employment (elsewhere) but is also a director.shareholder of a small company that has not made any profits yet, and from which there was absolutely no intention of taking a salary, and no other employees, a PAYE scheme has not been registered.
HMR&C are now insisting on a tax return being filed, and saying that we were wrong not to include the directorship on the previous return with nil income.
My understanding is that an employment without a PAYE reference number cannot be returned under self-assessment, and in any case where does it say that you have to return zero income (no doubt I will be proved wrong and it does say so somewhere!)?
If we follow the logic being put forward, everyone who is an officer of a charity should be declaring there zero income on a tax return, and if they don't have a tax return for any other reason they have to request one.
Could someone clarify the situation please? Thanks.
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,064 36
- Question re Career choice... 1,617 10
- Which address 1,046 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 574 20
- MS Surface Pro 3 82 1
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,475 17
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,206 44
- R&D tax claim 249 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 530 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 184 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 133 2
- Gift to employee 377 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 173 1
- Transfer of a business 127 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,143 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 416 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 122 2
- Sage Import Data 315 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 246 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 141 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 483
- CTA study material 458
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 336
- Pre incorp expenses 316
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 270
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 258
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 210
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 163
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 144
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 135