Does a directorship with no income need to be included on self-assessment tax return?
A client is in full time employment (elsewhere) but is also a director.shareholder of a small company that has not made any profits yet, and from which there was absolutely no intention of taking a salary, and no other employees, a PAYE scheme has not been registered.
HMR&C are now insisting on a tax return being filed, and saying that we were wrong not to include the directorship on the previous return with nil income.
My understanding is that an employment without a PAYE reference number cannot be returned under self-assessment, and in any case where does it say that you have to return zero income (no doubt I will be proved wrong and it does say so somewhere!)?
If we follow the logic being put forward, everyone who is an officer of a charity should be declaring there zero income on a tax return, and if they don't have a tax return for any other reason they have to request one.
Could someone clarify the situation please? Thanks.
- Freelance/Employee 639 16
- Recommendations for online payroll software 181 1
- . 168 1
- Accountant Specialization. 248 2
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 230 4
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 159 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 159 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 436 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 85 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 592 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 676 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 120 2
- Agent Authorisation Issue 180 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 327 6
- Is it just me ... 278 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 285 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 115 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 348 10
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 222 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,533 18
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 745
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 405
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 354
- Electric Car 288
- S222 Charge 237
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 185
- IP trans to holding company 183
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 171
- AIA 166
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 163