Does a directorship with no income need to be included on self-assessment tax return?
A client is in full time employment (elsewhere) but is also a director.shareholder of a small company that has not made any profits yet, and from which there was absolutely no intention of taking a salary, and no other employees, a PAYE scheme has not been registered.
HMR&C are now insisting on a tax return being filed, and saying that we were wrong not to include the directorship on the previous return with nil income.
My understanding is that an employment without a PAYE reference number cannot be returned under self-assessment, and in any case where does it say that you have to return zero income (no doubt I will be proved wrong and it does say so somewhere!)?
If we follow the logic being put forward, everyone who is an officer of a charity should be declaring there zero income on a tax return, and if they don't have a tax return for any other reason they have to request one.
Could someone clarify the situation please? Thanks.
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 245 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 6,898 257
- Shutting down a company with creditors 826 11
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 215 10
- business card address 57 3
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 79 5
- Expenses of overseas employment 77 1
- Tax implications for client leaving share incentive plan 67 2
- Standard 'email' template system 728 11
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 148 2
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 119 5
- VAT Romania - how to register 191 4
- Donations (to a school!) 177 5
- Repairs after a rental business ends 198 6
- Am I allowed Rent A Room Relief? 484 10
- Beaters and allowable exenses 152 2
- Family loan 275 7
- FL Memo - Any Good 485 8
- 50% Shareholder & Director stealing money from the business 337 8
- Looking for subcontract work! 299 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,093
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 358
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 296
- National Insurance 259
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 231
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 231
- Payments on account coded out?? 218
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 215
- Non Resident 177
- Franchise income and costs 169