Does a directorship with no income need to be included on self-assessment tax return?
A client is in full time employment (elsewhere) but is also a director.shareholder of a small company that has not made any profits yet, and from which there was absolutely no intention of taking a salary, and no other employees, a PAYE scheme has not been registered.
HMR&C are now insisting on a tax return being filed, and saying that we were wrong not to include the directorship on the previous return with nil income.
My understanding is that an employment without a PAYE reference number cannot be returned under self-assessment, and in any case where does it say that you have to return zero income (no doubt I will be proved wrong and it does say so somewhere!)?
If we follow the logic being put forward, everyone who is an officer of a charity should be declaring there zero income on a tax return, and if they don't have a tax return for any other reason they have to request one.
Could someone clarify the situation please? Thanks.
- Share premium or Directors Loan 721 30
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 101 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 416 12
- What would you do in this situation? 106 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 122 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 599 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 625 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 76 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 339 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 240 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 216 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 380 6
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,390 46
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 303 5
- NOVA 549 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 270 10
- Regional Development Grant 116 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,393 21
- Company car without a salary 227 2
- Charity donations 1,080 21
- Bonus Bonds 390
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 377
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 288
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 256
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 186
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 173
- Finance Lease 155
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 147
- Demerger Reserve 129