Does a directorship with no income need to be included on self-assessment tax return?
A client is in full time employment (elsewhere) but is also a director.shareholder of a small company that has not made any profits yet, and from which there was absolutely no intention of taking a salary, and no other employees, a PAYE scheme has not been registered.
HMR&C are now insisting on a tax return being filed, and saying that we were wrong not to include the directorship on the previous return with nil income.
My understanding is that an employment without a PAYE reference number cannot be returned under self-assessment, and in any case where does it say that you have to return zero income (no doubt I will be proved wrong and it does say so somewhere!)?
If we follow the logic being put forward, everyone who is an officer of a charity should be declaring there zero income on a tax return, and if they don't have a tax return for any other reason they have to request one.
Could someone clarify the situation please? Thanks.
- Will I need to resign? 565 9
- Old CGT loss 274 8
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 669 21
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 404 20
- What are the implications for a UK company director resident in Canada 42 3
- New Starter Checklist 111 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 313 8
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 390 7
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 1,025 16
- How to explain this to someone 119 1
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,399 20
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 140 5
- Should Nominal Ledger be given to new accountant 615 15
- Charges for VAT MOSS 219 1
- Limited company purchase of property 500 4
- Goodwill complications 291 6
- Tax relief for VAT assessment 79 1
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 161 1
- How much of your work is admin? 849 9
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 229 4
- TheTax Donut 1,067
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 710
- Follower cases 508
- Hive up 444
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 410
- corporate hierarchy 402
- LIVE chat, starting now 383
- Advice - 221
- Amortisation of Goodwill 190
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 189