Does a directorship with no income need to be included on self-assessment tax return?
A client is in full time employment (elsewhere) but is also a director.shareholder of a small company that has not made any profits yet, and from which there was absolutely no intention of taking a salary, and no other employees, a PAYE scheme has not been registered.
HMR&C are now insisting on a tax return being filed, and saying that we were wrong not to include the directorship on the previous return with nil income.
My understanding is that an employment without a PAYE reference number cannot be returned under self-assessment, and in any case where does it say that you have to return zero income (no doubt I will be proved wrong and it does say so somewhere!)?
If we follow the logic being put forward, everyone who is an officer of a charity should be declaring there zero income on a tax return, and if they don't have a tax return for any other reason they have to request one.
Could someone clarify the situation please? Thanks.
- Goodie bag 765 29
- How do I save face? 540 11
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 353 6
- Leaving the Flat Rate Scheme 181 3
- Secure document exchange 377 4
- Quickbooks Online 73 1
- Accts software 103 2
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 329 3
- Challenging HMRC on EU VAT land related service 176 1
- Clubs and Taxable Income 379 2
- Employee invoicing employer 189 6
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 310 6
- Auto enrolement and PAYE 172 3
- Unpaid salary 210 4
- Mixed Partnerships 123 2
- Transfer of properties to a limited company stamp duty 129 4
- Companies House iphone app - alternatives? 216 3
- Back-dated VAT 78 1
- brightpay? 148 2
- Loans to other companies 275 1
- Possible Partnership? 621
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 507
- New Fangled Penalties 423
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 308
- Fuming! 266
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 238
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 225
- Outsource Data Entry 221
- Moving away from CCH software 208
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 157