Double taxation nightmare! | AccountingWEB

Double taxation nightmare!

I am a UK taxpayer, and have come to work in Germany, for an unknown period, and am registered as Self Employed in Germany. I started on 10 July 2000, for a period of 8 months. I may obtain further contract work at the same site, on a different project. I am a technical writer. I undertand that even if I pay tax in Germany, I still need to fill in UK tax returns. I will get tax credits in UK for any tax I pay in Germany, so will not have to pay it again, except make up any shortfall if the tax paid in Germany is less than what it would be in UK. My question is, what do I have to tell the UK Inland Revenue regards my work in Germany? Do I need to register as Self Employed in UK as well? Do I have to prove to this organisation that I am a self employed person, according to UK rules?
What if they say I am not really self employed, but am an employee. Who then has to pay employers NI?

As far as Germany goes, I am self employed. I have been advised to get E101 form so that I may continue to pay UK NI contributions instead of having to pay German ones.
Bob Visanji

There are 2 comments. Login or register to view them.

did you splve this?

Anonymous |

I'm not going to claim to be a trans border tax expert but...

AnonymousUser |