Entrepreneurs Relief Query
Husband has worked for a company for over 10 years as a director. He owned 25% of the ordinary share capital and 8 years ago transferred the shares to his wife who is not employed by the company. She has received dividends since then and these were paid into their joint bank account.
Due to a shareholder dispute the other 3 shareholders have suggested that the company buy-back the shares and the husband leave the company.
Is it following tax position correct?
- In order for the share buy-back to be treated as a capital distribution (i.e. taxed as a capital gain rather than a dividend) the shareholder must have held the shares in excess of 5 years.
- In order to obtain Entrepreneurs Relief (taxed at 10% rather than 28%) the shareholder must have been employed by/or have been an officer of the company for the preceding 12 months.
If the above are both correct only condition 1 is met. (If both conditions are to be met the shares would need to be transferred back to the husband and he would need to hold them for a further 5 years. This is not an option.) The husband and wife have been told by the other shareholders that spousal relief will apply and the wife will qualify for Entrepreneurs Relief.
- I can find no reference to the availability of “spousal relief” and should appreciate any advice,
- Would the situation be improved if the shares were held jointly by the husband and wife for the next 12 months before sale (assuming the husband remains employed during this time?
3. AAny suggestions of ways to mitigate the potential tax liability are welcome
All comments and suggestions received will be much appreciated
- tax credits 148 6
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 257 9
- LLP - Member leaving 148 6
- what time is it ? 91 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 260 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,061 14
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 678 19
- Tax Return Deadlines 226 4
- Year end 162 2
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 575 21
- How would you account for warranty? 160 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 405 22
- Sweet Tooth 190 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 181 2
- trading or dormant 120 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 131 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 573 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 277 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 124 1
- Foreign income for self employed 140 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 879
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 519
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 332
- How to format a stock book 313
- Tax efficient holding company structure 246
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 242
- Investment property company accounts template 227
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 220
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 193
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 168