The Equality Act
Under the so called "Equality Act" which was Harriet Harman's legacy and has just come into effect all sorts of "groups" such as vegans, teetotallers, athiests etc. are to be given the same protection as religious groups, AND, gypsies and travellers are granted "special status" because they are "socio-economically disadvantaged".
Worst of all however, it introduces the concept of "third party harassment" meaning employers are legally responsible for protecting staff from such things as abuse by customers.
As this new law stands employers could be sued if a staff member makes a joke which another staff member (who bizzarely doesnt even have to overhear the joke) feels "offended by it.
In addition there are proposals not yet implimented to enforce "positive discrimination", to force local authorities to spend extra money in allegedly "deprived" areas, and possibly to force companies to move to "deprived" areas and to possitively discriminate in favour of job applicant from such areas or from "minority" groups.
In full the provisions which came into force on 1st October 23010 are -
- The basic framework of protection against direct and indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation in services and public functions; premises; work; education; associations, and transport.
- Changing the definition of gender reassignment, by removing the requirement for medical supervision.
- Levelling up protection for people discriminated against because they are perceived to have, or are associated with someone who has, a protected characteristic, so providing new protection for people like carers.
- Clearer protection for breastfeeding mothers;
- Applying the European definition of indirect discrimination to all protected characteristics.
- Extending protection from indirect discrimination to disability.
- Introducing a new concept of “discrimination arising from disability”, to replace protection under previous legislation lost as a result of a legal judgment.
- Applying the detriment model to victimisation protection (aligning with the approach in employment law).
- Harmonising the thresholds for the duty to make reasonable adjustments for disabled people.
- Extending protection from 3rd party harassment to all protected characteristics.
- Making it more difficult for disabled people to be unfairly screened out when applying for jobs, by restricting the circumstances in which employers can ask job applicants questions about disability or health.
- Allowing claims for direct gender pay discrimination where there is no actual comparator.
- Making pay secrecy clauses unenforceable.
- Extending protection in private clubs to sex, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, and gender reassignment.
- Introducing new powers for employment tribunals to make recommendations which benefit the wider workforce.
- Harmonising provisions allowing voluntary positive action
Personally if any of my staff make a complaint against another member of staff because of a bit of office banter then they had better file a claim for unfair dismisal too because I would instantly dismiss them I expect staff to be reasonable adults - not politically correct muppets.
- VAT on goods never entered the UK 253 9
- Scottish Independance 114 4
- Interest relief before property is rented out 182 4
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 327 7
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 52 1
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 401 9
- Sharing of Fixed Assets 40 1
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 225 1
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 295 7
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 310 12
- Dress code 957 22
- How much did you pay for your website 1,581 27
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 587 4
- Dividend 382 6
- FRS and Debtors 203 2
- What's in a name ? 591 6
- Helping out a friend 480 8
- Problem with CT600 return boxes AC229 & AC230 (Accelerated capital allowances) 249 7
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 421 5
- ACCA practice certificates 379 4
- CTA study material 740
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 458
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 315
- Employment related securities question 294
- AIM Stocks and IHT 268
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 241
- Expat pension contributions? 228
- Trust for Employee 225
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 139
- Wind Turbine - Company or not? 122