The Equality Act
Under the so called "Equality Act" which was Harriet Harman's legacy and has just come into effect all sorts of "groups" such as vegans, teetotallers, athiests etc. are to be given the same protection as religious groups, AND, gypsies and travellers are granted "special status" because they are "socio-economically disadvantaged".
Worst of all however, it introduces the concept of "third party harassment" meaning employers are legally responsible for protecting staff from such things as abuse by customers.
As this new law stands employers could be sued if a staff member makes a joke which another staff member (who bizzarely doesnt even have to overhear the joke) feels "offended by it.
In addition there are proposals not yet implimented to enforce "positive discrimination", to force local authorities to spend extra money in allegedly "deprived" areas, and possibly to force companies to move to "deprived" areas and to possitively discriminate in favour of job applicant from such areas or from "minority" groups.
In full the provisions which came into force on 1st October 23010 are -
- The basic framework of protection against direct and indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation in services and public functions; premises; work; education; associations, and transport.
- Changing the definition of gender reassignment, by removing the requirement for medical supervision.
- Levelling up protection for people discriminated against because they are perceived to have, or are associated with someone who has, a protected characteristic, so providing new protection for people like carers.
- Clearer protection for breastfeeding mothers;
- Applying the European definition of indirect discrimination to all protected characteristics.
- Extending protection from indirect discrimination to disability.
- Introducing a new concept of “discrimination arising from disability”, to replace protection under previous legislation lost as a result of a legal judgment.
- Applying the detriment model to victimisation protection (aligning with the approach in employment law).
- Harmonising the thresholds for the duty to make reasonable adjustments for disabled people.
- Extending protection from 3rd party harassment to all protected characteristics.
- Making it more difficult for disabled people to be unfairly screened out when applying for jobs, by restricting the circumstances in which employers can ask job applicants questions about disability or health.
- Allowing claims for direct gender pay discrimination where there is no actual comparator.
- Making pay secrecy clauses unenforceable.
- Extending protection in private clubs to sex, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, and gender reassignment.
- Introducing new powers for employment tribunals to make recommendations which benefit the wider workforce.
- Harmonising provisions allowing voluntary positive action
Personally if any of my staff make a complaint against another member of staff because of a bit of office banter then they had better file a claim for unfair dismisal too because I would instantly dismiss them I expect staff to be reasonable adults - not politically correct muppets.
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 1,695 32
- Where has Portia gone? 727 26
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,550 72
- Rogue Accountant 2,836 46
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 5,290 19
- HMRC Scam 264 2
- Departments in Sage 50 93 1
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 235 2
- HMRC, YouTube, ITTOIA... 323 4
- Capital Gains? 265 2
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 108 1
- Partial Exemption relating to a multi academy trust 78 1
- Is it possible to have an excel link to a different dated excel file 453 9
- Taxation of serviced offices 132 2
- AIA - new period 222 1
- Self assessment question 1,162 48
- Major Works Invoice to Rental Property 379 9
- What is the base cost of this asset for CGT? 269 3
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 859 20
- Dividend Tax Rate 448 8
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 775
- RTI - duplicate employee record 512
- Pensions Regulator 441
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 396
- Sage Vat return box 2 298
- Sanzar 297
- Digital marketing focus group 279
- How do you do it 266
- Report old income 228
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 227