Fines and penalties-will HMRC deal?
A partnership under investigation has both a determined VAT liability and a soon to be determined, income tax liability.
The 'Revenue' part of HMRC have advised that they cannot consider (and therefore negotiate a settlement on) both together and that the client would have to 'negotiate' a settlement with both the VAT people and the 'tax' people.
The VAT liabilty on it's own would force both partners into bankruptcy- with HMRC getting next to nothing- unless it could be reduced by negotiation.
Has anyone managed to get a VAT liabilty reduced?
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 332 18
- Do I need to pay my accountant 169 3
- Limited company buying a car 183 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 467 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 567 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 215 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 297 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 128 2
- ACCA practice certificates 505 5
- Limited company buying director's car 303 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 90 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 127 1
- WC's and capital allowances 180 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 317 13
- Dress code 1,553 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 484 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 266 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 389 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 477 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 212 4
- CTA study material 771
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 400
- Employment related securities question 311
- AIM Stocks and IHT 282
- Expat pension contributions? 260
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 259
- Trust for Employee 239
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 187
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 149