Flat management companies
I have recently had a question from a director of a flat management company that we deal with, and this prompted me to look through Accounting Web and HMRC website on the subject of flat management companies - how to prepare their Accounts and how to tax them?
Our Firm prepares many flat management company Accounts. We prepare the Accounts with a P&L and Balance Sheet, with Service Charge receipts and expenses going in the P&L. As for the tax, none earn sufficient interest in order to pay tax and are treated as non-taxable on service charge surplus/deficit as are mutual trading. Some of these companies have over the years been asked to send Accounts to HMRC, but the reply has always come back "there is no need for this company to prepare a CT600 each year, unless its interest receipts exceed a certain level".
The director's recent question was along the lines of "I have read that my company's Accounts should be prepared as dormant, the bank account and service charges should be treated as a Trust outside of the company, and the company should be preparing Trust tax Returns not corporation tax returns - why aren't we doing this? Also, separate service charge schedules need to be prepared and added to the Accounts that go to Companies House."
As I said, I have read through Accounting Web and HMRC website and found many articles, but no definitive answers. As for the Accounts - the Flat Management Company booklet on the Companies House website says that "many companies choose to include the income and expenses in their Accounts". This implies that there is a choice. I can't find anything concerning the need for including separate service charge schedules in the Companies House Accounts. HMRC website talks about "if you are within Landlord & Tenant Act then the Trust rules apply", but doesn't really define when you are within LTA. Also, as I mentioned, HMRC have seen many of our companies' Accounts, but not once have they mentioned the need for Trust Returns.
Can anyone please give me a definitive answer, or point me in the right direction?
- Business Christmas Greetings 954 18
- tax credits 185 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,001 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 77 1
- LLP - Member leaving 178 6
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 722 21
- Year end 220 3
- Foreign income for self employed 160 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 285 9
- what time is it ? 174 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 296 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,114 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 238 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 596 21
- How would you account for warranty? 172 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 411 22
- Sweet Tooth 220 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 194 2
- trading or dormant 132 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 152 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 893
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 521
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 333
- How to format a stock book 315
- Tax efficient holding company structure 251
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 245
- Investment property company accounts template 229
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 194
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 174
- Charge out rates in London? 153