Free telephone advice
In the past I have offered free telephone advice to clients but a recent posting got me thinking as to how sensible this is.
I have always done it as a 'sweetener' to attract clients, and on the basis that most clients dont abuse it.
But I now feel I am missing the wider picture. Surely by offering something so significant/fundamental as free telephone advice as accountants we are seriously devaluing our work.
I recently used a solicitor for a major business deal and had a large bill for the work done (£6.5k) and they didnt offer free telephone advice and I wouldnt have dreamt of expecting them to do so. Why? I know solictors are expensive professional people. So why as accountants should we be any different?
I am seriously reconsidering using free telephone advice as a selling point. It needs to be something else which doesnt devalue our worth. Ater all if we do so much for free - free intial consultations, free telephone advice etc., give away free tax advice booklets on our websites etc why on earth should clients expect to pay for anything?
- CGT on transfer of property 296 18
- The stupidity continues 2,352 101
- Pension Fund Audit for HMRC form APSS106 - suggested program? 50 2
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 48 1
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 911 18
- Clearbooks - creating a HP Account 197 8
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 60 1
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 144 2
- Excel file Corrupted 141 3
- Benefit in kind but no salary 175 2
- Ishares Ftse 100 (ETF) -Ireland 117 1
- Marketing and email surprises 511 10
- Cis refund for company 177 3
- 45p mileage - stupid question 433 4
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 140 1
- Taxable turnover for VAT registration 233 8
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,490 27
- PRR and Letting relief 134 2
- Do I need to make a P11D provision in Accs? 179 2
- Capital Event? 161 4
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 459
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 451
- WIP Software 317
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 301
- No payroll scheme in place 258
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 253
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 234
- Is there anything wrong with this? 230
- Small Part Disposal of Property 209
- Uncommercial property business 203