Free telephone advice
In the past I have offered free telephone advice to clients but a recent posting got me thinking as to how sensible this is.
I have always done it as a 'sweetener' to attract clients, and on the basis that most clients dont abuse it.
But I now feel I am missing the wider picture. Surely by offering something so significant/fundamental as free telephone advice as accountants we are seriously devaluing our work.
I recently used a solicitor for a major business deal and had a large bill for the work done (£6.5k) and they didnt offer free telephone advice and I wouldnt have dreamt of expecting them to do so. Why? I know solictors are expensive professional people. So why as accountants should we be any different?
I am seriously reconsidering using free telephone advice as a selling point. It needs to be something else which doesnt devalue our worth. Ater all if we do so much for free - free intial consultations, free telephone advice etc., give away free tax advice booklets on our websites etc why on earth should clients expect to pay for anything?
- rental income since 2003 75 1
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,645 29
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 386 10
- Deaf clients 547 5
- Child tax credits 83 1
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,198 54
- PITA client 389 4
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 531 12
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 70 1
- Estate agent and VAT registration 221 4
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 581 9
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 212 4
- Peer to Peer lending 1,066 8
- Small company audit 342 9
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 118 2
- R&D tax credit claim 260 6
- CIC Company 502 6
- Sage Starting Again As Records are in a mess 269 4
- HMRC Property campaign 805 10
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 150 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 612
- Cancelled 357
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 339
- Cancelled 291
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 269
- Probiz 257
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 215
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 204
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 192
- Car leasing scheme 191