Free telephone advice
In the past I have offered free telephone advice to clients but a recent posting got me thinking as to how sensible this is.
I have always done it as a 'sweetener' to attract clients, and on the basis that most clients dont abuse it.
But I now feel I am missing the wider picture. Surely by offering something so significant/fundamental as free telephone advice as accountants we are seriously devaluing our work.
I recently used a solicitor for a major business deal and had a large bill for the work done (£6.5k) and they didnt offer free telephone advice and I wouldnt have dreamt of expecting them to do so. Why? I know solictors are expensive professional people. So why as accountants should we be any different?
I am seriously reconsidering using free telephone advice as a selling point. It needs to be something else which doesnt devalue our worth. Ater all if we do so much for free - free intial consultations, free telephone advice etc., give away free tax advice booklets on our websites etc why on earth should clients expect to pay for anything?
- Time to ditch Sage? 392 7
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 135 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 430 8
- Fees 431 5
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 502 17
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 275 3
- www.pool.adzio 131 2
- Losses carry forward to self employed 161 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,870 43
- Agent Authorisation Issue 276 3
- HMRC Post 560 7
- Transactions with directors 471 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 308 9
- Non VAT invoices 241 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 245 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,430 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 272 5
- Form 17 Download 189 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 589 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 406 4
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 765
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 417
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 369
- Electric Car 302
- S222 Charge 250
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 213
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 189
- AIA 186
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 181