Free telephone advice
In the past I have offered free telephone advice to clients but a recent posting got me thinking as to how sensible this is.
I have always done it as a 'sweetener' to attract clients, and on the basis that most clients dont abuse it.
But I now feel I am missing the wider picture. Surely by offering something so significant/fundamental as free telephone advice as accountants we are seriously devaluing our work.
I recently used a solicitor for a major business deal and had a large bill for the work done (£6.5k) and they didnt offer free telephone advice and I wouldnt have dreamt of expecting them to do so. Why? I know solictors are expensive professional people. So why as accountants should we be any different?
I am seriously reconsidering using free telephone advice as a selling point. It needs to be something else which doesnt devalue our worth. Ater all if we do so much for free - free intial consultations, free telephone advice etc., give away free tax advice booklets on our websites etc why on earth should clients expect to pay for anything?
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 207 10
- Standard 'email' template system 844 14
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 420 9
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,547 283
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,001 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 200 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 67 1
- Circular shareholding 206 6
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 177 6
- business card address 271 8
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 208 2
- Declined for business bank account 177 4
- Loan to a related company 72 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 635 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 323 10
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 247 8
- property rental income split 115 1
- Expenses of overseas employment 132 2
- UK RESIDENT IN RECEIPT OF USA PENSION 100 1
- Payroll provider 165 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,110
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 363
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 299
- National Insurance 268
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 238
- Payments on account coded out?? 226
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 219
- Non Resident 185
- Franchise income and costs 174
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 170