Free telephone advice
In the past I have offered free telephone advice to clients but a recent posting got me thinking as to how sensible this is.
I have always done it as a 'sweetener' to attract clients, and on the basis that most clients dont abuse it.
But I now feel I am missing the wider picture. Surely by offering something so significant/fundamental as free telephone advice as accountants we are seriously devaluing our work.
I recently used a solicitor for a major business deal and had a large bill for the work done (£6.5k) and they didnt offer free telephone advice and I wouldnt have dreamt of expecting them to do so. Why? I know solictors are expensive professional people. So why as accountants should we be any different?
I am seriously reconsidering using free telephone advice as a selling point. It needs to be something else which doesnt devalue our worth. Ater all if we do so much for free - free intial consultations, free telephone advice etc., give away free tax advice booklets on our websites etc why on earth should clients expect to pay for anything?
- Easy way to not pay tax 245 7
- Tax Credit Overpayment 15 1
- FATCA registration as an Agent 15 1
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 188 6
- IRIS Practice Management 188 3
- Pre- trading Expenses 155 2
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 372 16
- Mortgage Interest and rental income 64 1
- Charities sorp - portfolio management fees 182 5
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 320 12
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 402 10
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 129 1
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 356 8
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 204 2
- Builder using cash labour 160 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 231 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 460 11
- Was I rude 866 20
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 224 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 303 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,489
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 827
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 423
- Sale of business 398
- NOVA 303
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 214
- Bonus Bonds 181
- Management expenses for investment company 178
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 173