Free telephone advice
In the past I have offered free telephone advice to clients but a recent posting got me thinking as to how sensible this is.
I have always done it as a 'sweetener' to attract clients, and on the basis that most clients dont abuse it.
But I now feel I am missing the wider picture. Surely by offering something so significant/fundamental as free telephone advice as accountants we are seriously devaluing our work.
I recently used a solicitor for a major business deal and had a large bill for the work done (£6.5k) and they didnt offer free telephone advice and I wouldnt have dreamt of expecting them to do so. Why? I know solictors are expensive professional people. So why as accountants should we be any different?
I am seriously reconsidering using free telephone advice as a selling point. It needs to be something else which doesnt devalue our worth. Ater all if we do so much for free - free intial consultations, free telephone advice etc., give away free tax advice booklets on our websites etc why on earth should clients expect to pay for anything?
- General tax book with planning 161 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,218 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 289 11
- Gift of property & improvements 122 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 350 5
- VAT Invoice 145 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 808 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 130 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 223 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 194 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 154 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 454 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 378 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 262 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 190 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 258 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 167 4
- SA302's anyone?? 543 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,646 41
- Renting for military reasons 197 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,620
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 901
- International interest certificate 511
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 298
- Management expenses for investment company 264
- Bonus Bonds 262
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 173
- tax on apprenticeship income 173
- P11D benefit received by widow 150