Free telephone advice
In the past I have offered free telephone advice to clients but a recent posting got me thinking as to how sensible this is.
I have always done it as a 'sweetener' to attract clients, and on the basis that most clients dont abuse it.
But I now feel I am missing the wider picture. Surely by offering something so significant/fundamental as free telephone advice as accountants we are seriously devaluing our work.
I recently used a solicitor for a major business deal and had a large bill for the work done (£6.5k) and they didnt offer free telephone advice and I wouldnt have dreamt of expecting them to do so. Why? I know solictors are expensive professional people. So why as accountants should we be any different?
I am seriously reconsidering using free telephone advice as a selling point. It needs to be something else which doesnt devalue our worth. Ater all if we do so much for free - free intial consultations, free telephone advice etc., give away free tax advice booklets on our websites etc why on earth should clients expect to pay for anything?
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 319 5
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 117 2
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,247 12
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 382 5
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,449 18
- Vat 239 4
- CT/CIS offset 102 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 154 4
- Trade name 157 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 127 1
- New business - journal entries 302 20
- B2B vat in the EU 102 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 307 18
- Why should I retain membership? 2,652 45
- VAT on deposits 201 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 123 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 399 12
- option to tax 202 1
- Share of profits from building society 95 1
- sage vat journal 86 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 775
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 704
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 382
- Social investment tax relief 201
- Digita Hosted Software 196
- Call Centre Data Costs 190
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 154
- Travel costs and contractors 148
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 139
- Certificates of tax deposit 133