Free telephone advice
In the past I have offered free telephone advice to clients but a recent posting got me thinking as to how sensible this is.
I have always done it as a 'sweetener' to attract clients, and on the basis that most clients dont abuse it.
But I now feel I am missing the wider picture. Surely by offering something so significant/fundamental as free telephone advice as accountants we are seriously devaluing our work.
I recently used a solicitor for a major business deal and had a large bill for the work done (£6.5k) and they didnt offer free telephone advice and I wouldnt have dreamt of expecting them to do so. Why? I know solictors are expensive professional people. So why as accountants should we be any different?
I am seriously reconsidering using free telephone advice as a selling point. It needs to be something else which doesnt devalue our worth. Ater all if we do so much for free - free intial consultations, free telephone advice etc., give away free tax advice booklets on our websites etc why on earth should clients expect to pay for anything?
- Vat threshold issues 271 6
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 654 14
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 811 17
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 156 4
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 99 1
- Growing pains 431 8
- Paying Personal Allowance in one go 416 7
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 199 5
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 432 15
- Residents Association Corp Tax 247 10
- Your fondest calculator memories 750 28
- new capital structure ltd with investors 365 7
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 469 3
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 555 14
- Joint filing delays 133 3
- private to company car? 260 5
- Buy to let allowable interest 226 3
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 310 5
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 147 4
- Partner with an IVA 224 5
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 459
- CTA study material 425
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 306
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 292
- Pre incorp expenses 285
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 248
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 237
- Slight twist on employment related securities 214
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 194
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 184