Free telephone advice
In the past I have offered free telephone advice to clients but a recent posting got me thinking as to how sensible this is.
I have always done it as a 'sweetener' to attract clients, and on the basis that most clients dont abuse it.
But I now feel I am missing the wider picture. Surely by offering something so significant/fundamental as free telephone advice as accountants we are seriously devaluing our work.
I recently used a solicitor for a major business deal and had a large bill for the work done (£6.5k) and they didnt offer free telephone advice and I wouldnt have dreamt of expecting them to do so. Why? I know solictors are expensive professional people. So why as accountants should we be any different?
I am seriously reconsidering using free telephone advice as a selling point. It needs to be something else which doesnt devalue our worth. Ater all if we do so much for free - free intial consultations, free telephone advice etc., give away free tax advice booklets on our websites etc why on earth should clients expect to pay for anything?
- Opening balances Sage 50 16 1
- Flat rate vat 311 4
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 231 6
- Rental property company 172 2
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 162 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 410 12
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 453 9
- Starting up in practice - safety net 364 8
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,469 27
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,196 35
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 391 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 305 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 282 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 404 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 218 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 217 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 164 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 546 5
- Director's tax return 426 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 200 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 832
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 575
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 449
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 323
- Free Tax Legislation? 301
- Director Loan account operation 283
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 269
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 262
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 244
- Paye procedures for CVA 183