Free telephone advice
In the past I have offered free telephone advice to clients but a recent posting got me thinking as to how sensible this is.
I have always done it as a 'sweetener' to attract clients, and on the basis that most clients dont abuse it.
But I now feel I am missing the wider picture. Surely by offering something so significant/fundamental as free telephone advice as accountants we are seriously devaluing our work.
I recently used a solicitor for a major business deal and had a large bill for the work done (£6.5k) and they didnt offer free telephone advice and I wouldnt have dreamt of expecting them to do so. Why? I know solictors are expensive professional people. So why as accountants should we be any different?
I am seriously reconsidering using free telephone advice as a selling point. It needs to be something else which doesnt devalue our worth. Ater all if we do so much for free - free intial consultations, free telephone advice etc., give away free tax advice booklets on our websites etc why on earth should clients expect to pay for anything?
- Obtaining old payslips & correcting historic tax overpayment 24 2
- Non resident income. 200 11
- Use of home deduction 405 13
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 299 5
- Software 207 4
- Director payroll - prorated NI? 174 5
- SA800 Returns 213 4
- state pension statement 712 9
- Allocation of internal division of work - manger level 247 10
- VAT on EU supplies 35 1
- VAT on purchse from EU supplier but goods were sent outside of EU from supplier 89 1
- Terminal Trade Loss Relief 147 4
- VAT on Vocational Training Courses supplied to a Charity Org? 85 1
- Goodwill adjustment 181 5
- Capital Gains on Residential Property 374 22
- Company dividends 323 9
- Broadband costs 156 1
- Losses B/F and Class 4 NIC 109 1
- is PMI for directors and families 134 2
- US-UK pension problem 117 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 846
- Copy Wanted 587
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 529
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 505
- Latest phishing scam 385
- Entrepreneurs' relief 364
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 318
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 304
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 293
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 205