Free telephone advice
In the past I have offered free telephone advice to clients but a recent posting got me thinking as to how sensible this is.
I have always done it as a 'sweetener' to attract clients, and on the basis that most clients dont abuse it.
But I now feel I am missing the wider picture. Surely by offering something so significant/fundamental as free telephone advice as accountants we are seriously devaluing our work.
I recently used a solicitor for a major business deal and had a large bill for the work done (£6.5k) and they didnt offer free telephone advice and I wouldnt have dreamt of expecting them to do so. Why? I know solictors are expensive professional people. So why as accountants should we be any different?
I am seriously reconsidering using free telephone advice as a selling point. It needs to be something else which doesnt devalue our worth. Ater all if we do so much for free - free intial consultations, free telephone advice etc., give away free tax advice booklets on our websites etc why on earth should clients expect to pay for anything?
- Retrospective VAT Claim 70 1
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 315 9
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,383 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 202 5
- What do you all do in your spare time? 575 26
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 366 6
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 142 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 187 2
- VAT on employee loan 240 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 170 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 698 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 145 1
- Purchased Goodwill 100 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 71 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 90 1
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 202 4
- Recruitment agencies 582 1
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 517 20
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 268 9
- HMRC RANT!!!! 488 8
- New Fangled Penalties 1,076
- Moving away from CCH software 929
- QROP pension input amounts 424
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 370
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 337
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 309
- fraud 262
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 235
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 209
- Construction CIS LLP Company 189