Free telephone advice
In the past I have offered free telephone advice to clients but a recent posting got me thinking as to how sensible this is.
I have always done it as a 'sweetener' to attract clients, and on the basis that most clients dont abuse it.
But I now feel I am missing the wider picture. Surely by offering something so significant/fundamental as free telephone advice as accountants we are seriously devaluing our work.
I recently used a solicitor for a major business deal and had a large bill for the work done (£6.5k) and they didnt offer free telephone advice and I wouldnt have dreamt of expecting them to do so. Why? I know solictors are expensive professional people. So why as accountants should we be any different?
I am seriously reconsidering using free telephone advice as a selling point. It needs to be something else which doesnt devalue our worth. Ater all if we do so much for free - free intial consultations, free telephone advice etc., give away free tax advice booklets on our websites etc why on earth should clients expect to pay for anything?
- FRSSE 2015 AND AMORTISATION OF GOODWILL 49 1
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 213 2
- Buy to let investors and the budget changes. 284 5
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 59 2
- Going through security 350 8
- Another AE question 119 1
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 377 11
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 255 11
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 558 19
- Tax efficient vehicle 514 10
- Retail business software/accounting system 159 3
- AIA for private hire cars, self-employed licensed private hire vehicle / driver 180 5
- Paying PAYE by Direct Debit 379 11
- CTA Material 193 1
- Business only use of company car 329 11
- Web site and client access area advice 208 1
- Car or Van 388 9
- Dividend Tax Petition 396 5
- Buying a business premises in a pension 238 3
- Unilateral Relief - How to calculate UK tax paid 191 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 250
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 226
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 214
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 201
- Expenses Software 181
- Any thoughts on Capium? 172
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 170
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 166
- Car Capital Contribution 147
- How to account for investment in JV? 145