Free telephone advice
In the past I have offered free telephone advice to clients but a recent posting got me thinking as to how sensible this is.
I have always done it as a 'sweetener' to attract clients, and on the basis that most clients dont abuse it.
But I now feel I am missing the wider picture. Surely by offering something so significant/fundamental as free telephone advice as accountants we are seriously devaluing our work.
I recently used a solicitor for a major business deal and had a large bill for the work done (£6.5k) and they didnt offer free telephone advice and I wouldnt have dreamt of expecting them to do so. Why? I know solictors are expensive professional people. So why as accountants should we be any different?
I am seriously reconsidering using free telephone advice as a selling point. It needs to be something else which doesnt devalue our worth. Ater all if we do so much for free - free intial consultations, free telephone advice etc., give away free tax advice booklets on our websites etc why on earth should clients expect to pay for anything?
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 743 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,149 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 700 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 69 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 255 8
- recompense capital input 195 11
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 106 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 229 2
- CT losses carry back 100 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 547 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 167 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 769 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 419 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,277 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 149 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 184 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 231 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 993 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 219 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 262 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 798
- RTI - duplicate employee record 565
- Pensions Regulator 455
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 414
- Portia ... Where art thou 335
- Sanzar 317
- How do you do it 304
- Digital marketing focus group 300
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 274
- new investor structure 185