Free telephone advice
In the past I have offered free telephone advice to clients but a recent posting got me thinking as to how sensible this is.
I have always done it as a 'sweetener' to attract clients, and on the basis that most clients dont abuse it.
But I now feel I am missing the wider picture. Surely by offering something so significant/fundamental as free telephone advice as accountants we are seriously devaluing our work.
I recently used a solicitor for a major business deal and had a large bill for the work done (£6.5k) and they didnt offer free telephone advice and I wouldnt have dreamt of expecting them to do so. Why? I know solictors are expensive professional people. So why as accountants should we be any different?
I am seriously reconsidering using free telephone advice as a selling point. It needs to be something else which doesnt devalue our worth. Ater all if we do so much for free - free intial consultations, free telephone advice etc., give away free tax advice booklets on our websites etc why on earth should clients expect to pay for anything?
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 152 8
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 292 3
- Money laundering POCA 311 6
- Offering Cash Prizes to University Students 47 2
- client threatening legal action 1,919 29
- Incorporation Relief 162 3
- Auto-Enrolment 3,980 187
- Can I claim mileage? 271 6
- limited company for IR35 148 1
- Ir35 test 123 2
- payroll software 251 2
- Mexican student in UK 176 4
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 217 2
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 84 2
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 181 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 150 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 889 19
- Dividend in specie 285 8
- Partnership Tax Return Deadline 129 1
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 201 9
- Skandia using wrong address 507
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 285
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 281
- Employee rewards 264
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 235
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 228
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 226
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 176
- LLP in Construction Industry 127