Furnished Holiday Let days
For FHL rules to apply on a UK/EEA property, the property must be available 140 days and actually let 70 days.
Assume someone is going away for one week tomorrow, 1 August. Their stay is 1 - 8 August. For the FHL criteria, would you regard that week as 7 days or 8 days? Obviously, if we're looking at nights, it's 7, but the legislation refers to days.
I've never had to ask this before, but am reviewing a potential FHL claim and it looks like it may be under the 70 days if we count each week's stay as 7 days (averaging may not help either).
Logically, my gut feeling is to say it should be 7 days, because:
a) 140 days is effectively 20 weeks
b) 70 days is 10 weeks
c) Presumably, in the above example, someone else may well be coming in for the next week 8 - 15 August, so you would end up double counting the Saturday of departure and arrival, if you took a week's let as 8 days.
I think I'm getting myself more and more confused here and it is Friday afternoon after all and so, would appreciate a second opinion.
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 346 11
- Your fondest calculator memories 157 7
- Joint filing delays 12 1
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 23 2
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 169 5
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 1,254 18
- RTI - EPS - ??? 225 3
- Sub-contractor provided with a vehicle 143 5
- Partner with an IVA 45 3
- Can Directors be removed without consequence? 216 4
- Growing pains 314 6
- Owner/Director consultant plus employment elsewhere 176 6
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 134 7
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 504 13
- Breach of employment contract 151 3
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 402 7
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 773 31
- Offset Self-Employed Losses against PAYE 103 3
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 840 13
- Residents Association Corp Tax 152 4
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 440
- CTA study material 401
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 296
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 270
- Pre incorp expenses 259
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 233
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 225
- Slight twist on employment related securities 202
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 168
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 162