Furnished Holiday Let days
For FHL rules to apply on a UK/EEA property, the property must be available 140 days and actually let 70 days.
Assume someone is going away for one week tomorrow, 1 August. Their stay is 1 - 8 August. For the FHL criteria, would you regard that week as 7 days or 8 days? Obviously, if we're looking at nights, it's 7, but the legislation refers to days.
I've never had to ask this before, but am reviewing a potential FHL claim and it looks like it may be under the 70 days if we count each week's stay as 7 days (averaging may not help either).
Logically, my gut feeling is to say it should be 7 days, because:
a) 140 days is effectively 20 weeks
b) 70 days is 10 weeks
c) Presumably, in the above example, someone else may well be coming in for the next week 8 - 15 August, so you would end up double counting the Saturday of departure and arrival, if you took a week's let as 8 days.
I think I'm getting myself more and more confused here and it is Friday afternoon after all and so, would appreciate a second opinion.
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 2,124 16
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 291 1
- VAT Option to tax 462 17
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 156 6
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 189 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 125 2
- Director leaving in month 1 121 2
- Ex Gratia payments 72 1
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 258 3
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 151 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 186 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 180 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 169 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 46 1
- EIS - connection through employment 93 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 242 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 56 1
- CIS and Close Company 95 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 227 4
- Secondment expenses 155 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 909
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 640
- Free Tax Legislation? 403
- Director Loan account operation 396
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 335
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 318
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 224
- Paye procedures for CVA 218
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 184
- Pension Fixed Protection 161