Furnished Holiday Let days
For FHL rules to apply on a UK/EEA property, the property must be available 140 days and actually let 70 days.
Assume someone is going away for one week tomorrow, 1 August. Their stay is 1 - 8 August. For the FHL criteria, would you regard that week as 7 days or 8 days? Obviously, if we're looking at nights, it's 7, but the legislation refers to days.
I've never had to ask this before, but am reviewing a potential FHL claim and it looks like it may be under the 70 days if we count each week's stay as 7 days (averaging may not help either).
Logically, my gut feeling is to say it should be 7 days, because:
a) 140 days is effectively 20 weeks
b) 70 days is 10 weeks
c) Presumably, in the above example, someone else may well be coming in for the next week 8 - 15 August, so you would end up double counting the Saturday of departure and arrival, if you took a week's let as 8 days.
I think I'm getting myself more and more confused here and it is Friday afternoon after all and so, would appreciate a second opinion.
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 177 4
- SA302 300 7
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 268 4
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 278 13
- Bringing money to Uk 259 4
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 267 5
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 194 4
- Go Cardless 341 9
- Hmrc software 233 3
- Mehjoo 275 1
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 127 1
- Hosted email exchange 178 5
- South African Government Pension 183 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 305 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 312 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 247 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 152 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 293 7
- New Email Extensions 213 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 327 2
- Xtuple 513
- Qtac payroll for bureau 352
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 296
- Industrial & Provident Societies 288
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 228
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 187
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 187
- Domain name sale and limited company 173
- CIS schemes 171
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 147