Furnished Holiday Let days
For FHL rules to apply on a UK/EEA property, the property must be available 140 days and actually let 70 days.
Assume someone is going away for one week tomorrow, 1 August. Their stay is 1 - 8 August. For the FHL criteria, would you regard that week as 7 days or 8 days? Obviously, if we're looking at nights, it's 7, but the legislation refers to days.
I've never had to ask this before, but am reviewing a potential FHL claim and it looks like it may be under the 70 days if we count each week's stay as 7 days (averaging may not help either).
Logically, my gut feeling is to say it should be 7 days, because:
a) 140 days is effectively 20 weeks
b) 70 days is 10 weeks
c) Presumably, in the above example, someone else may well be coming in for the next week 8 - 15 August, so you would end up double counting the Saturday of departure and arrival, if you took a week's let as 8 days.
I think I'm getting myself more and more confused here and it is Friday afternoon after all and so, would appreciate a second opinion.
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 65 2
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 38 1
- Dividend payments to spouses 198 4
- Ltd Company 23 1
- SME Direct Debit 478 10
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,841 44
- Linux Accounting Software 423 10
- Car leasing 331 15
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 79 1
- VAT on part of a closed pub 98 5
- Several employments - large tax bill remaining 139 2
- Facebook Management 598 7
- Tax residence 148 4
- Accountant software 354 9
- Capitalising Intellectual Property 75 1
- Pension contributions limits 237 10
- Flat rate vat error 159 3
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 218 5
- VAT on nightclub vouchers 125 4
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 336 7
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 682
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 496
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 461
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 281
- How to format a stock book 246
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 203
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 198
- Tax efficient holding company structure 186
- Investment property company accounts template 179
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 171