Furnished Holiday Let days
For FHL rules to apply on a UK/EEA property, the property must be available 140 days and actually let 70 days.
Assume someone is going away for one week tomorrow, 1 August. Their stay is 1 - 8 August. For the FHL criteria, would you regard that week as 7 days or 8 days? Obviously, if we're looking at nights, it's 7, but the legislation refers to days.
I've never had to ask this before, but am reviewing a potential FHL claim and it looks like it may be under the 70 days if we count each week's stay as 7 days (averaging may not help either).
Logically, my gut feeling is to say it should be 7 days, because:
a) 140 days is effectively 20 weeks
b) 70 days is 10 weeks
c) Presumably, in the above example, someone else may well be coming in for the next week 8 - 15 August, so you would end up double counting the Saturday of departure and arrival, if you took a week's let as 8 days.
I think I'm getting myself more and more confused here and it is Friday afternoon after all and so, would appreciate a second opinion.
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 246 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,022 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 255 7
- Sage data 91 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 414 9
- Limited company buying a car 351 6
- Funding Circle experience 131 3
- Excel query 92 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,271 13
- Payment on account penalties 102 3
- Tax on free shares 127 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 200 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 121 1
- Audit 481 14
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 123 3
- Buying a horse?? 420 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 191 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 770 21
- PITA ex-client 266 9
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 365 9
- CTA study material 802
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 493
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 457
- Employment related securities question 321
- AIM Stocks and IHT 308
- Expat pension contributions? 280
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 277
- Trust for Employee 256
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 227
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 160