Furnished Holiday Let days
For FHL rules to apply on a UK/EEA property, the property must be available 140 days and actually let 70 days.
Assume someone is going away for one week tomorrow, 1 August. Their stay is 1 - 8 August. For the FHL criteria, would you regard that week as 7 days or 8 days? Obviously, if we're looking at nights, it's 7, but the legislation refers to days.
I've never had to ask this before, but am reviewing a potential FHL claim and it looks like it may be under the 70 days if we count each week's stay as 7 days (averaging may not help either).
Logically, my gut feeling is to say it should be 7 days, because:
a) 140 days is effectively 20 weeks
b) 70 days is 10 weeks
c) Presumably, in the above example, someone else may well be coming in for the next week 8 - 15 August, so you would end up double counting the Saturday of departure and arrival, if you took a week's let as 8 days.
I think I'm getting myself more and more confused here and it is Friday afternoon after all and so, would appreciate a second opinion.
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,307 31
- Claiming VAT on car lease 517 28
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 98 3
- Small hotel - food for personal use 351 4
- HMRC Information notice 969 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 250 3
- Accountant Specialization. 349 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 193 3
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 129 1
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,722 42
- Sage Line 50 158 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 142 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 415 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 385 7
- Seafarer's Earnings Deduction 154 1
- Freelance/Employee 694 17
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 187 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 194 6
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 137 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 617 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 750
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 410
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 362
- Electric Car 297
- S222 Charge 242
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 198
- IP trans to holding company 192
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 177
- AIA 171
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 171