Furnished Holiday Let days
For FHL rules to apply on a UK/EEA property, the property must be available 140 days and actually let 70 days.
Assume someone is going away for one week tomorrow, 1 August. Their stay is 1 - 8 August. For the FHL criteria, would you regard that week as 7 days or 8 days? Obviously, if we're looking at nights, it's 7, but the legislation refers to days.
I've never had to ask this before, but am reviewing a potential FHL claim and it looks like it may be under the 70 days if we count each week's stay as 7 days (averaging may not help either).
Logically, my gut feeling is to say it should be 7 days, because:
a) 140 days is effectively 20 weeks
b) 70 days is 10 weeks
c) Presumably, in the above example, someone else may well be coming in for the next week 8 - 15 August, so you would end up double counting the Saturday of departure and arrival, if you took a week's let as 8 days.
I think I'm getting myself more and more confused here and it is Friday afternoon after all and so, would appreciate a second opinion.
- Accounting for buying off bank 81 5
- Appealing agianst HMRC penalties for dormant company 186 3
- Am I too soft? 103 3
- Edible spam? 651 15
- New Website Look 871 19
- Sacked my first client 268 12
- Indemnity question re IR35? 141 3
- Marketing and email surprises 264 6
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 38 1
- Pension contributions 288 9
- HMRC & daft penalty 1,921 13
- Benefit in Kind? 209 1
- Timesheet and travel expenses software for engineering consultants 90 3
- What would be a tax efficient way of selling the main business asset but keeping some to continue with business? 418 19
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 470 8
- Share transfer question 160 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,206 23
- Sage import sales invoices with due dates 127 3
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 154 3
- Registering a client for Self assessment through Agent log ons 256 3
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 414
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 402
- Perkbox 355
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 281
- WIP Software 279
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 209
- No payroll scheme in place 201
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 187
- Software recommendations 187
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 172