Furnished Holiday Let days
For FHL rules to apply on a UK/EEA property, the property must be available 140 days and actually let 70 days.
Assume someone is going away for one week tomorrow, 1 August. Their stay is 1 - 8 August. For the FHL criteria, would you regard that week as 7 days or 8 days? Obviously, if we're looking at nights, it's 7, but the legislation refers to days.
I've never had to ask this before, but am reviewing a potential FHL claim and it looks like it may be under the 70 days if we count each week's stay as 7 days (averaging may not help either).
Logically, my gut feeling is to say it should be 7 days, because:
a) 140 days is effectively 20 weeks
b) 70 days is 10 weeks
c) Presumably, in the above example, someone else may well be coming in for the next week 8 - 15 August, so you would end up double counting the Saturday of departure and arrival, if you took a week's let as 8 days.
I think I'm getting myself more and more confused here and it is Friday afternoon after all and so, would appreciate a second opinion.
- Merry Christmas 63 1
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,045 12
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 59 2
- Anyone else still working this week? 399 13
- Childcare vouchers 334 7
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,409 9
- Using home as clients registered address 115 3
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 511 12
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 102 2
- How much does the company pay 698 30
- AIA 284 18
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 174 5
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 261 2
- I have done a terrible thing 779 15
- HMRC property income enquiry 362 8
- Not paying accountant 1,871 46
- Cash basis VAT return 104 1
- VAT on Business Premises 103 2
- Consolidation Software 145 2
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,213 32
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 504
- corporate hierarchy 468
- Advice - 320
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 272
- WWOOFers 260
- The booking.com con 243
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 237
- Cocaine anyone? 225
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 215
- UK State pension paid in NZ 176