Furnished Holiday Let days
For FHL rules to apply on a UK/EEA property, the property must be available 140 days and actually let 70 days.
Assume someone is going away for one week tomorrow, 1 August. Their stay is 1 - 8 August. For the FHL criteria, would you regard that week as 7 days or 8 days? Obviously, if we're looking at nights, it's 7, but the legislation refers to days.
I've never had to ask this before, but am reviewing a potential FHL claim and it looks like it may be under the 70 days if we count each week's stay as 7 days (averaging may not help either).
Logically, my gut feeling is to say it should be 7 days, because:
a) 140 days is effectively 20 weeks
b) 70 days is 10 weeks
c) Presumably, in the above example, someone else may well be coming in for the next week 8 - 15 August, so you would end up double counting the Saturday of departure and arrival, if you took a week's let as 8 days.
I think I'm getting myself more and more confused here and it is Friday afternoon after all and so, would appreciate a second opinion.
- Incorporated when they should not have 95 5
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 697 17
- pension paid by company? 278 7
- Late annual return 73 1
- Charity work 186 10
- Company Director In Prison 324 8
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 203 12
- HMRC Agents Line 63 2
- Tax position re this lease? 309 5
- Managing Employee Expenses 161 6
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 43 1
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,667 60
- inheritance tax 553 14
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 149 5
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 52 1
- Do I need a smartphone? 607 21
- SA Agent's Priority Line 140 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 773 24
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 268 3
- MAAT vs ACCA 400 7
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 671
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 492
- Cancelled 423
- Cancelled 360
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 359
- Probiz 332
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 320
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 241
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 212
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 194