Furnished Holiday Let days
For FHL rules to apply on a UK/EEA property, the property must be available 140 days and actually let 70 days.
Assume someone is going away for one week tomorrow, 1 August. Their stay is 1 - 8 August. For the FHL criteria, would you regard that week as 7 days or 8 days? Obviously, if we're looking at nights, it's 7, but the legislation refers to days.
I've never had to ask this before, but am reviewing a potential FHL claim and it looks like it may be under the 70 days if we count each week's stay as 7 days (averaging may not help either).
Logically, my gut feeling is to say it should be 7 days, because:
a) 140 days is effectively 20 weeks
b) 70 days is 10 weeks
c) Presumably, in the above example, someone else may well be coming in for the next week 8 - 15 August, so you would end up double counting the Saturday of departure and arrival, if you took a week's let as 8 days.
I think I'm getting myself more and more confused here and it is Friday afternoon after all and so, would appreciate a second opinion.
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 55 2
- SA302's - What's the deal? 307 4
- tax credits 204 4
- Thinning income 309 2
- Past rental expenses 69 1
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 208 3
- What do do about VAT? 510 15
- Buying a company for £2000 from owner how it works? 237 5
- Not a question but made my day 1,115 22
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 334 10
- I forgiven loan an Output? 106 1
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 183 2
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 184 4
- Audacity 1,312 22
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 689 8
- partnership first tax return 133 1
- Payroll got out of synch 375 11
- Charitable incorporated organisation 94 1
- Claiming the expenses of Scooby 289 3
- Seeking advice: Freehold Pub Lease 300 9
- NHS finance professionals 591
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 389
- Foreign Pension Contribution 362
- vat gross profit percentage margins 333
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 323
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 303
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 271
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 222
- IFA income recognition & reporting 198
- Incorporating doctors 191