Furnished Holiday Let days
For FHL rules to apply on a UK/EEA property, the property must be available 140 days and actually let 70 days.
Assume someone is going away for one week tomorrow, 1 August. Their stay is 1 - 8 August. For the FHL criteria, would you regard that week as 7 days or 8 days? Obviously, if we're looking at nights, it's 7, but the legislation refers to days.
I've never had to ask this before, but am reviewing a potential FHL claim and it looks like it may be under the 70 days if we count each week's stay as 7 days (averaging may not help either).
Logically, my gut feeling is to say it should be 7 days, because:
a) 140 days is effectively 20 weeks
b) 70 days is 10 weeks
c) Presumably, in the above example, someone else may well be coming in for the next week 8 - 15 August, so you would end up double counting the Saturday of departure and arrival, if you took a week's let as 8 days.
I think I'm getting myself more and more confused here and it is Friday afternoon after all and so, would appreciate a second opinion.
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 244 8
- Pre- trading Expenses 75 1
- IRIS Practice Management 125 1
- Was I rude 770 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 176 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 167 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 298 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 242 1
- Top slicing relief question 230 2
- Valuation of PET on death 109 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 266 6
- Share swap 290 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 89 1
- Online filing 157 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 330 13
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,714 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 105 2
- Converting a barn for business use 98 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 239 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 127 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,477
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 813
- Any views 728
- International interest certificate 446
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 418
- Sale of business 388
- NOVA 283
- IRIS Open Books problem 280
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 197
- Expenses claim for non employee 188