Furnished Holiday Let days
For FHL rules to apply on a UK/EEA property, the property must be available 140 days and actually let 70 days.
Assume someone is going away for one week tomorrow, 1 August. Their stay is 1 - 8 August. For the FHL criteria, would you regard that week as 7 days or 8 days? Obviously, if we're looking at nights, it's 7, but the legislation refers to days.
I've never had to ask this before, but am reviewing a potential FHL claim and it looks like it may be under the 70 days if we count each week's stay as 7 days (averaging may not help either).
Logically, my gut feeling is to say it should be 7 days, because:
a) 140 days is effectively 20 weeks
b) 70 days is 10 weeks
c) Presumably, in the above example, someone else may well be coming in for the next week 8 - 15 August, so you would end up double counting the Saturday of departure and arrival, if you took a week's let as 8 days.
I think I'm getting myself more and more confused here and it is Friday afternoon after all and so, would appreciate a second opinion.
- Cash basis 69 3
- Undeclared rental income 2,527 23
- Company buy back of shares from directors 66 2
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 497 23
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 320 9
- Cash basis 724 25
- Rental income 99 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,940 30
- s455 Directors loan 154 3
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 64 1
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,176 8
- Non resident capital gains 80 1
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 414 12
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 339 1
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 532 6
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 181 2
- payroll software 507 9
- Fee base v staff ratio 596 7
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 303 13
- Posting pension salary sacrifice journal 111 1
- Skandia using wrong address 601
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 325
- Employee rewards 302
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 270
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 237
- Etax Australian 199
- LLP in Construction Industry 160
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 148
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 138
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 130