Furnished Holiday Let days
For FHL rules to apply on a UK/EEA property, the property must be available 140 days and actually let 70 days.
Assume someone is going away for one week tomorrow, 1 August. Their stay is 1 - 8 August. For the FHL criteria, would you regard that week as 7 days or 8 days? Obviously, if we're looking at nights, it's 7, but the legislation refers to days.
I've never had to ask this before, but am reviewing a potential FHL claim and it looks like it may be under the 70 days if we count each week's stay as 7 days (averaging may not help either).
Logically, my gut feeling is to say it should be 7 days, because:
a) 140 days is effectively 20 weeks
b) 70 days is 10 weeks
c) Presumably, in the above example, someone else may well be coming in for the next week 8 - 15 August, so you would end up double counting the Saturday of departure and arrival, if you took a week's let as 8 days.
I think I'm getting myself more and more confused here and it is Friday afternoon after all and so, would appreciate a second opinion.
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 2,638 54
- Personal Allowance for non residents 367 9
- Vat 85 3
- PAYE 101 3
- xerocon 71 1
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,098 10
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 156 1
- VAT: option to tax 114 2
- IHT dilemma 301 11
- Share Valuation 67 2
- Dormant company or not? 320 13
- VAT - Land Related Services 97 1
- Best form of debt recovery 169 3
- Backdating VAT claim 54 1
- WIP recognition for builders 378 8
- Do I need to keep subscribing to CIMA post qualification? 314 15
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 196 5
- Prior Year Adjustments 124 2
- Share Issue 220 1
- Payment of Capital from and LLP and Corporate member 152 11
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 658
- Property let at a reduced rate - losses brought forward 522
- Auto enrolment excuses 504
- Removed post 372
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 349
- Social investment tax relief 162
- Patent Box and worldwide patents 156
- Call Centre Data Costs 156
- Digita Hosted Software 141
- option to tax 127