Furnished Holiday Let days
For FHL rules to apply on a UK/EEA property, the property must be available 140 days and actually let 70 days.
Assume someone is going away for one week tomorrow, 1 August. Their stay is 1 - 8 August. For the FHL criteria, would you regard that week as 7 days or 8 days? Obviously, if we're looking at nights, it's 7, but the legislation refers to days.
I've never had to ask this before, but am reviewing a potential FHL claim and it looks like it may be under the 70 days if we count each week's stay as 7 days (averaging may not help either).
Logically, my gut feeling is to say it should be 7 days, because:
a) 140 days is effectively 20 weeks
b) 70 days is 10 weeks
c) Presumably, in the above example, someone else may well be coming in for the next week 8 - 15 August, so you would end up double counting the Saturday of departure and arrival, if you took a week's let as 8 days.
I think I'm getting myself more and more confused here and it is Friday afternoon after all and so, would appreciate a second opinion.
- How do I save face? 536 11
- Goodie bag 760 28
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 352 6
- Leaving the Flat Rate Scheme 181 3
- Secure document exchange 377 4
- Quickbooks Online 72 1
- Accts software 102 2
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 326 3
- Challenging HMRC on EU VAT land related service 176 1
- Clubs and Taxable Income 379 2
- Employee invoicing employer 187 6
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 308 6
- Auto enrolement and PAYE 172 3
- Unpaid salary 208 4
- Mixed Partnerships 121 2
- Transfer of properties to a limited company stamp duty 129 4
- Companies House iphone app - alternatives? 216 3
- Back-dated VAT 78 1
- brightpay? 148 2
- Loans to other companies 275 1
- Possible Partnership? 621
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 507
- New Fangled Penalties 423
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 308
- Fuming! 266
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 238
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 225
- Outsource Data Entry 221
- Moving away from CCH software 208
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 157