GET ME OUT OF HERE!
I have a LTD client of several years who, at the brink of insolvency due to poor management, is slow to provide me with information, and is generally lacking in responsibility to the business, it's customers and staff.
The two shareholder/directors approached me at the beginning of last week to say that they feared the company would run out of cash by the end of next week, so I wrote to advise them to contact an Insolvency Practitioner immediately to discuss their options. After one director came back from a long weekend break, they finally saw the Practitioner who has told them to try and carry on at this stage. This is possible as I have found a substantial bill they paid twice and have asked for a refund!
How do I get out of this engagement when I know that they are in a predicament and quite incapable of recording their transactions and filing returns etc, and are probably unable to afford to switch accountants?
They are local and I am worried about the impact on my reputation if I am seen as 'jumping ship', but at the same time I know that things are only going to get worse, and I could easily find myself embroiled in a situation of them arguing about the business with me in the middle! I am already finding it difficult as both directors pull me aside to 'chat' about their position and future plans, and I have to keep saying that I am unable to give answers that could give rise to conflict.
I would appreciate any (helpful) comments...
- Know it alls (who don't) 359 11
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 385 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 549 18
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 181 4
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 254 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,477 44
- CIC accounts submission 27 1
- What does it mean?? 451 12
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 990 13
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 226 4
- VAT & Landlords 205 6
- Make an adjustment to profits chargeable to class 4 nic 95 2
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 170 5
- Tax advice person/business 240 2
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 699 15
- Extraction of Factory from Trading Company and Leaseback 101 3
- Loan write off by Company 94 2
- Late P45 137 2
- Auto enrolment and husband & Wife companies 425 2
- Share swap 371 11
- Skandia using wrong address 1,561
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 859
- International interest certificate 475
- NOVA 332
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 245
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 234
- Management expenses for investment company 223
- Bonus Bonds 216
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 203
- Check my logic on this please? 184