GET ME OUT OF HERE!
I have a LTD client of several years who, at the brink of insolvency due to poor management, is slow to provide me with information, and is generally lacking in responsibility to the business, it's customers and staff.
The two shareholder/directors approached me at the beginning of last week to say that they feared the company would run out of cash by the end of next week, so I wrote to advise them to contact an Insolvency Practitioner immediately to discuss their options. After one director came back from a long weekend break, they finally saw the Practitioner who has told them to try and carry on at this stage. This is possible as I have found a substantial bill they paid twice and have asked for a refund!
How do I get out of this engagement when I know that they are in a predicament and quite incapable of recording their transactions and filing returns etc, and are probably unable to afford to switch accountants?
They are local and I am worried about the impact on my reputation if I am seen as 'jumping ship', but at the same time I know that things are only going to get worse, and I could easily find myself embroiled in a situation of them arguing about the business with me in the middle! I am already finding it difficult as both directors pull me aside to 'chat' about their position and future plans, and I have to keep saying that I am unable to give answers that could give rise to conflict.
I would appreciate any (helpful) comments...
- Transfer of stock 63 4
- Are these allowable capital expenditures for a jewellery retail shop? 304 9
- PPR election time limit - change in the number of residences 36 1
- Virtually Impossible 253 6
- Personal allowance for non-resident 67 2
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,537 114
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 137 2
- Brightpay 79 1
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 172 5
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 44 1
- Statutory Residence Test - is HMRC Guidance wrong? 1,076 8
- Newly Started Practice 575 12
- SSP days and Holidays 133 2
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 526 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 342 7
- error on companies house accounts 523 14
- Is there a reporting requirement? 140 1
- Clients 406 6
- Home to Office 270 5
- Investment property? 181 3
- QROP pension input amounts 485
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 460
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 428
- EPS and CIS deductions 276
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 274
- Construction CIS LLP Company 261
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 222
- SAGE winforecast 189
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 183
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 174