GET ME OUT OF HERE!
I have a LTD client of several years who, at the brink of insolvency due to poor management, is slow to provide me with information, and is generally lacking in responsibility to the business, it's customers and staff.
The two shareholder/directors approached me at the beginning of last week to say that they feared the company would run out of cash by the end of next week, so I wrote to advise them to contact an Insolvency Practitioner immediately to discuss their options. After one director came back from a long weekend break, they finally saw the Practitioner who has told them to try and carry on at this stage. This is possible as I have found a substantial bill they paid twice and have asked for a refund!
How do I get out of this engagement when I know that they are in a predicament and quite incapable of recording their transactions and filing returns etc, and are probably unable to afford to switch accountants?
They are local and I am worried about the impact on my reputation if I am seen as 'jumping ship', but at the same time I know that things are only going to get worse, and I could easily find myself embroiled in a situation of them arguing about the business with me in the middle! I am already finding it difficult as both directors pull me aside to 'chat' about their position and future plans, and I have to keep saying that I am unable to give answers that could give rise to conflict.
I would appreciate any (helpful) comments...
- Additional information attached to accounts 174 2
- CIS Software 105 1
- VAT registration on digital services supplied outside UK within EU 80 5
- Company assets 359 16
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 217 6
- MoneySoft 161 2
- Late RTI filing re SMP 86 1
- Best way to advise a limited company client 59 1
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 658 10
- Payroll cessation and missing overtime 143 2
- Self assessment 144 1
- Self Help Accountancy Book for Client 142 2
- Claiming VAT 124 2
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,118 15
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 176 4
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 272 10
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 269 5
- Basis period (2nd yr) for a partnership, please any suggestions would be really helpful 152 1
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 509 9
- Director resignation 740 21
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 503
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 477
- Is there anything wrong with this? 278
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 266
- Uncommercial property business 241
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 204
- Registering online CWF1 183
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 179
- Accrued income scheme 179
- VAT - registration needed? 177