GET ME OUT OF HERE!
I have a LTD client of several years who, at the brink of insolvency due to poor management, is slow to provide me with information, and is generally lacking in responsibility to the business, it's customers and staff.
The two shareholder/directors approached me at the beginning of last week to say that they feared the company would run out of cash by the end of next week, so I wrote to advise them to contact an Insolvency Practitioner immediately to discuss their options. After one director came back from a long weekend break, they finally saw the Practitioner who has told them to try and carry on at this stage. This is possible as I have found a substantial bill they paid twice and have asked for a refund!
How do I get out of this engagement when I know that they are in a predicament and quite incapable of recording their transactions and filing returns etc, and are probably unable to afford to switch accountants?
They are local and I am worried about the impact on my reputation if I am seen as 'jumping ship', but at the same time I know that things are only going to get worse, and I could easily find myself embroiled in a situation of them arguing about the business with me in the middle! I am already finding it difficult as both directors pull me aside to 'chat' about their position and future plans, and I have to keep saying that I am unable to give answers that could give rise to conflict.
I would appreciate any (helpful) comments...
- Changing shareholding ratio 69 2
- New intermediaries reporting requirements 104 1
- SA1 forms 342 12
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 124 5
- Goodwill Entrepreneurs Relief 84 1
- ICPA 430 6
- Do I need to see receipts ? 692 10
- Share disclosure re- Power of Attorney 143 5
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 526 12
- VAT on services to EC customer 165 3
- Delayed option to tax 180 3
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 231 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 838 23
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 345 3
- Cloud backups – know what you are getting … 419 7
- Redundancy Pay 335 4
- question about merging two companies... 203 1
- Latest repayment email =interesting paragraph 455 3
- CG on Spanish property disposal 238 7
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 542 5
- Sainsbury's mangement 821
- Avanti Accounts 672
- Have I done the right thing? 645
- Calling franchise accountants 629
- Continuity Agreement 625
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 482
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 356
- Scammers 320
- Advice please! 227
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 211