GET ME OUT OF HERE!
I have a LTD client of several years who, at the brink of insolvency due to poor management, is slow to provide me with information, and is generally lacking in responsibility to the business, it's customers and staff.
The two shareholder/directors approached me at the beginning of last week to say that they feared the company would run out of cash by the end of next week, so I wrote to advise them to contact an Insolvency Practitioner immediately to discuss their options. After one director came back from a long weekend break, they finally saw the Practitioner who has told them to try and carry on at this stage. This is possible as I have found a substantial bill they paid twice and have asked for a refund!
How do I get out of this engagement when I know that they are in a predicament and quite incapable of recording their transactions and filing returns etc, and are probably unable to afford to switch accountants?
They are local and I am worried about the impact on my reputation if I am seen as 'jumping ship', but at the same time I know that things are only going to get worse, and I could easily find myself embroiled in a situation of them arguing about the business with me in the middle! I am already finding it difficult as both directors pull me aside to 'chat' about their position and future plans, and I have to keep saying that I am unable to give answers that could give rise to conflict.
I would appreciate any (helpful) comments...
- hMRand Customs Powers of Arrest 2,768 23
- Running two businesses from the same premises 84 1
- Late Registration for VAT 161 5
- Registering a company late 224 6
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 266 4
- physiotherapy clinic 550 3
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,901 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 89 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,006 25
- Deferred Tax 124 1
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 75 1
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 406 7
- How much of your work is admin? 171 1
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,793 19
- Goodwill complications 149 2
- Personal pension 216 3
- Practical Courses - Accounts Prep 175 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 298 7
- IRIS Accounts Production - Dividends shown in P&L? 256 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 989 26
- TheTax Donut 1,011
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 672
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 620
- Follower cases 486
- Limited company purchase of property 414
- Hive up 410
- corporate hierarchy 379
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 376
- LIVE chat, starting now 323
- AIA or IFA 210