GET ME OUT OF HERE!
I have a LTD client of several years who, at the brink of insolvency due to poor management, is slow to provide me with information, and is generally lacking in responsibility to the business, it's customers and staff.
The two shareholder/directors approached me at the beginning of last week to say that they feared the company would run out of cash by the end of next week, so I wrote to advise them to contact an Insolvency Practitioner immediately to discuss their options. After one director came back from a long weekend break, they finally saw the Practitioner who has told them to try and carry on at this stage. This is possible as I have found a substantial bill they paid twice and have asked for a refund!
How do I get out of this engagement when I know that they are in a predicament and quite incapable of recording their transactions and filing returns etc, and are probably unable to afford to switch accountants?
They are local and I am worried about the impact on my reputation if I am seen as 'jumping ship', but at the same time I know that things are only going to get worse, and I could easily find myself embroiled in a situation of them arguing about the business with me in the middle! I am already finding it difficult as both directors pull me aside to 'chat' about their position and future plans, and I have to keep saying that I am unable to give answers that could give rise to conflict.
I would appreciate any (helpful) comments...
- Payroll experience for beginning AAT student 100 1
- Providing registered office address to clients 67 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 757 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 378 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,434 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 177 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 457 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 129 3
- What would you do in this situation? 195 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 147 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 620 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 650 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 103 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 349 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 249 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 222 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 416 6
- NOVA 558 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 283 10
- Regional Development Grant 133 4
- Bonus Bonds 395
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 385
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 298
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 261
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 190
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 189
- Company Car Lease 161
- Finance Lease 158
- Form 42 152
- Demerger Reserve 132