GET ME OUT OF HERE!
I have a LTD client of several years who, at the brink of insolvency due to poor management, is slow to provide me with information, and is generally lacking in responsibility to the business, it's customers and staff.
The two shareholder/directors approached me at the beginning of last week to say that they feared the company would run out of cash by the end of next week, so I wrote to advise them to contact an Insolvency Practitioner immediately to discuss their options. After one director came back from a long weekend break, they finally saw the Practitioner who has told them to try and carry on at this stage. This is possible as I have found a substantial bill they paid twice and have asked for a refund!
How do I get out of this engagement when I know that they are in a predicament and quite incapable of recording their transactions and filing returns etc, and are probably unable to afford to switch accountants?
They are local and I am worried about the impact on my reputation if I am seen as 'jumping ship', but at the same time I know that things are only going to get worse, and I could easily find myself embroiled in a situation of them arguing about the business with me in the middle! I am already finding it difficult as both directors pull me aside to 'chat' about their position and future plans, and I have to keep saying that I am unable to give answers that could give rise to conflict.
I would appreciate any (helpful) comments...
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 146 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,985 50
- R&D tax credit claim 249 6
- CIC Company 489 6
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 337 8
- Sage Starting Again As Records are in a mess 244 4
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 503 11
- HMRC Property campaign 776 10
- Estate agent and VAT registration 186 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 107 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 363 12
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 92 1
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 530 8
- Small company audit 287 8
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 218 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 231 5
- Problem partnership fees 153 1
- Car financed by employee 140 1
- Potential Customer Under VAT Threshold 142 1
- Undisclosed income 239 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 609
- Cancelled 355
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 337
- Cancelled 291
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 268
- Probiz 254
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 210
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 199
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 192
- Car leasing scheme 188