GET ME OUT OF HERE!
I have a LTD client of several years who, at the brink of insolvency due to poor management, is slow to provide me with information, and is generally lacking in responsibility to the business, it's customers and staff.
The two shareholder/directors approached me at the beginning of last week to say that they feared the company would run out of cash by the end of next week, so I wrote to advise them to contact an Insolvency Practitioner immediately to discuss their options. After one director came back from a long weekend break, they finally saw the Practitioner who has told them to try and carry on at this stage. This is possible as I have found a substantial bill they paid twice and have asked for a refund!
How do I get out of this engagement when I know that they are in a predicament and quite incapable of recording their transactions and filing returns etc, and are probably unable to afford to switch accountants?
They are local and I am worried about the impact on my reputation if I am seen as 'jumping ship', but at the same time I know that things are only going to get worse, and I could easily find myself embroiled in a situation of them arguing about the business with me in the middle! I am already finding it difficult as both directors pull me aside to 'chat' about their position and future plans, and I have to keep saying that I am unable to give answers that could give rise to conflict.
I would appreciate any (helpful) comments...
- Capital allowances on taxis 55 1
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 382 6
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 288 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 259 8
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 87 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,763 65
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 277 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 905 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 204 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 134 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 196 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 409 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 342 9
- Merging my businesses 165 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,731 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 520 16
- VAT on commercial property 168 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,057 49
- deceased creditor 222 5
- Corporate member of LLP 285 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 784
- RTI - duplicate employee record 545
- Pensions Regulator 446
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 407
- Sage Vat return box 2 312
- Sanzar 308
- Digital marketing focus group 292
- Portia ... Where art thou 288
- How do you do it 282
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 261