GET ME OUT OF HERE!
I have a LTD client of several years who, at the brink of insolvency due to poor management, is slow to provide me with information, and is generally lacking in responsibility to the business, it's customers and staff.
The two shareholder/directors approached me at the beginning of last week to say that they feared the company would run out of cash by the end of next week, so I wrote to advise them to contact an Insolvency Practitioner immediately to discuss their options. After one director came back from a long weekend break, they finally saw the Practitioner who has told them to try and carry on at this stage. This is possible as I have found a substantial bill they paid twice and have asked for a refund!
How do I get out of this engagement when I know that they are in a predicament and quite incapable of recording their transactions and filing returns etc, and are probably unable to afford to switch accountants?
They are local and I am worried about the impact on my reputation if I am seen as 'jumping ship', but at the same time I know that things are only going to get worse, and I could easily find myself embroiled in a situation of them arguing about the business with me in the middle! I am already finding it difficult as both directors pull me aside to 'chat' about their position and future plans, and I have to keep saying that I am unable to give answers that could give rise to conflict.
I would appreciate any (helpful) comments...
- Xerocon 2016 1,085 28
- New Build 70 1
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 63 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,227 43
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 693 15
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 73 1
- USA Tax Query 249 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 397 5
- last minute request 582 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 298 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 328 7
- Personal Tax 566 11
- Disengagement Help! 1,699 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 965 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 367 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 618 18
- Corrupt Excel File 687 10
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,996 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 295 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 445 7