GET ME OUT OF HERE!
I have a LTD client of several years who, at the brink of insolvency due to poor management, is slow to provide me with information, and is generally lacking in responsibility to the business, it's customers and staff.
The two shareholder/directors approached me at the beginning of last week to say that they feared the company would run out of cash by the end of next week, so I wrote to advise them to contact an Insolvency Practitioner immediately to discuss their options. After one director came back from a long weekend break, they finally saw the Practitioner who has told them to try and carry on at this stage. This is possible as I have found a substantial bill they paid twice and have asked for a refund!
How do I get out of this engagement when I know that they are in a predicament and quite incapable of recording their transactions and filing returns etc, and are probably unable to afford to switch accountants?
They are local and I am worried about the impact on my reputation if I am seen as 'jumping ship', but at the same time I know that things are only going to get worse, and I could easily find myself embroiled in a situation of them arguing about the business with me in the middle! I am already finding it difficult as both directors pull me aside to 'chat' about their position and future plans, and I have to keep saying that I am unable to give answers that could give rise to conflict.
I would appreciate any (helpful) comments...
- Do joint employment contracts enjoy double NI allowances? 30 2
- Auto Enrolment 547 3
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 1,835 17
- VAT on sale of goods outside of EU - Flat Rate 93 2
- Not renewing AAT 1,327 13
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 50 1
- Dormant co. now trading 263 8
- CisVerification as an agent 272 5
- Cloud-based email services? 182 3
- Late PAYE Registration 135 4
- Online or Paper 64-8? 90 1
- Is the CT61 return dead? 547 9
- Lease premium accounting treatment 83 1
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,572 20
- Rental holiday in lieu of repairs 564 13
- Casual Driver 506 7
- Questions from Liquidator 2,356 25
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 328 3
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 503 5
- Viewing folder contens en masse 461 11
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 721
- 2015 tax year end 460
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 424
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 369
- Costly Accounting Software contract 339
- Directors' advances and credits 275
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 257
- DTA tie-breaker issue 243
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 229
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 206