GET ME OUT OF HERE!
I have a LTD client of several years who, at the brink of insolvency due to poor management, is slow to provide me with information, and is generally lacking in responsibility to the business, it's customers and staff.
The two shareholder/directors approached me at the beginning of last week to say that they feared the company would run out of cash by the end of next week, so I wrote to advise them to contact an Insolvency Practitioner immediately to discuss their options. After one director came back from a long weekend break, they finally saw the Practitioner who has told them to try and carry on at this stage. This is possible as I have found a substantial bill they paid twice and have asked for a refund!
How do I get out of this engagement when I know that they are in a predicament and quite incapable of recording their transactions and filing returns etc, and are probably unable to afford to switch accountants?
They are local and I am worried about the impact on my reputation if I am seen as 'jumping ship', but at the same time I know that things are only going to get worse, and I could easily find myself embroiled in a situation of them arguing about the business with me in the middle! I am already finding it difficult as both directors pull me aside to 'chat' about their position and future plans, and I have to keep saying that I am unable to give answers that could give rise to conflict.
I would appreciate any (helpful) comments...
- 40% rule for travel expenses 352 11
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,673 437
- Cash injection by shareholder 280 7
- Fees for Property Tax Return 118 3
- capital gains on PPR 149 7
- Separating business for VAT purposes 65 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,238 62
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 329 6
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 263 8
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 416 20
- 100% Xero practice 2,400 43
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 347 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 290 8
- PRR 330 12
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 231 3
- corp tax software 387 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 460 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 488 7
- Which tax box 211 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 188 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,308
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 471
- National Insurance 366
- Non Resident 290
- Franchise income and costs 259
- Hands on experience of Digita 212
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 178
- Employer's Helpline 161
- employment capital allowances 156
- CIS paid under reg 9 150