GET ME OUT OF HERE!
I have a LTD client of several years who, at the brink of insolvency due to poor management, is slow to provide me with information, and is generally lacking in responsibility to the business, it's customers and staff.
The two shareholder/directors approached me at the beginning of last week to say that they feared the company would run out of cash by the end of next week, so I wrote to advise them to contact an Insolvency Practitioner immediately to discuss their options. After one director came back from a long weekend break, they finally saw the Practitioner who has told them to try and carry on at this stage. This is possible as I have found a substantial bill they paid twice and have asked for a refund!
How do I get out of this engagement when I know that they are in a predicament and quite incapable of recording their transactions and filing returns etc, and are probably unable to afford to switch accountants?
They are local and I am worried about the impact on my reputation if I am seen as 'jumping ship', but at the same time I know that things are only going to get worse, and I could easily find myself embroiled in a situation of them arguing about the business with me in the middle! I am already finding it difficult as both directors pull me aside to 'chat' about their position and future plans, and I have to keep saying that I am unable to give answers that could give rise to conflict.
I would appreciate any (helpful) comments...
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 18 1
- Small hotel - food for personal use 330 4
- HMRC Information notice 959 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 242 3
- Accountant Specialization. 342 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 182 3
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 111 1
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,289 29
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,709 42
- Sage Line 50 155 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 130 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 407 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 382 7
- Seafarer's Earnings Deduction 152 1
- Freelance/Employee 692 17
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 184 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 190 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 499 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 130 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 617 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 750
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 409
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 362
- Electric Car 296
- S222 Charge 242
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 197
- IP trans to holding company 191
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 177
- AIA 171
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 171