GET ME OUT OF HERE!
I have a LTD client of several years who, at the brink of insolvency due to poor management, is slow to provide me with information, and is generally lacking in responsibility to the business, it's customers and staff.
The two shareholder/directors approached me at the beginning of last week to say that they feared the company would run out of cash by the end of next week, so I wrote to advise them to contact an Insolvency Practitioner immediately to discuss their options. After one director came back from a long weekend break, they finally saw the Practitioner who has told them to try and carry on at this stage. This is possible as I have found a substantial bill they paid twice and have asked for a refund!
How do I get out of this engagement when I know that they are in a predicament and quite incapable of recording their transactions and filing returns etc, and are probably unable to afford to switch accountants?
They are local and I am worried about the impact on my reputation if I am seen as 'jumping ship', but at the same time I know that things are only going to get worse, and I could easily find myself embroiled in a situation of them arguing about the business with me in the middle! I am already finding it difficult as both directors pull me aside to 'chat' about their position and future plans, and I have to keep saying that I am unable to give answers that could give rise to conflict.
I would appreciate any (helpful) comments...
- Scoot 327 7
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 371 3
- Invoice factoring 124 5
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 224 5
- old client has come out of the woodwork 111 1
- paye scheme very used 193 3
- Operating lease 85 4
- Gifting shares 86 1
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 243 4
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 492 8
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 819 25
- Disclosure query 132 3
- Auto enrolment 289 4
- Reverse charge - do you always book it? 257 6
- LLP Accounts format 92 1
- A question about share structure 84 1
- Corporation tax due date confusion 207 3
- Top slicing relief question 173 2
- Share swap 194 3
- Tax on sale of shares 176 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,466
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 786
- Any views 716
- HMRC Employers Diary 535
- International interest certificate 431
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 400
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 268
- Advertising services? 264
- IRIS Open Books problem 261