HMRC Bad-mouthing Accountants
Our client, a typical subbie on CIS, gets a compliance check. The income declared on his SATR is short by around £9k according to the CIS information HMRC hold.
Client shrugs and suggests that his contractor didn't give him all his CIS statements. We tell client that, regardless, the tax is still properly due but that we will write to HMRC near the end of the 30 day period in order to put off the inevitable bill and payment due date. Client accepts this and is content that he will have, in effect, a couple of months to find the money.
(As it happens, we also got a few quid knocked off as HMRC had to accept they'd messed up in not adding up their schedule properly ... every little helps.)
We also write to client telling him to expect a tax demand of circa £700.
HMRC send revised calcs showing less than £650. Cool.
A few days later the now very irate client phones up, livid that he's had a "£700 fine" and has evidently spoken directly to HMRC who have told him that as his agent, his accountant "had access to the CIS information and so should have known how much income had been earned and tax deducted". In the few words I got in edgeways I explained that we prepare the accounts and return in good faith based on the information he gives us, but am wasting my breath as the client slams the phone down.
How bl**dy dare they (HMRC that is)!!!
Have any other colleagues experienced this bad-mouthing of their work by those shining examples of professionalism and precision at HMRC?
Do we have to write to HMRC routinely now to obtain the CIS info on each of our subbie clients every May/June? When we've done this on odd occasions in the past the responses have ranged from helpful schedules to "Sorry, no. It's your client's responsibility to retain all paperwork."
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 138 3
- Was I rude 727 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 158 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 144 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 281 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 205 1
- Top slicing relief question 222 2
- Valuation of PET on death 96 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 241 6
- Share swap 285 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 80 1
- Online filing 144 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 326 13
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,686 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 100 2
- Converting a barn for business use 86 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 233 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 114 2
- Joint rental income 125 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 337 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,474
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 807
- Any views 726
- International interest certificate 444
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 417
- Sale of business 386
- NOVA 279
- IRIS Open Books problem 279
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 195
- Expenses claim for non employee 184