HMRC Bad-mouthing Accountants
Our client, a typical subbie on CIS, gets a compliance check. The income declared on his SATR is short by around £9k according to the CIS information HMRC hold.
Client shrugs and suggests that his contractor didn't give him all his CIS statements. We tell client that, regardless, the tax is still properly due but that we will write to HMRC near the end of the 30 day period in order to put off the inevitable bill and payment due date. Client accepts this and is content that he will have, in effect, a couple of months to find the money.
(As it happens, we also got a few quid knocked off as HMRC had to accept they'd messed up in not adding up their schedule properly ... every little helps.)
We also write to client telling him to expect a tax demand of circa £700.
HMRC send revised calcs showing less than £650. Cool.
A few days later the now very irate client phones up, livid that he's had a "£700 fine" and has evidently spoken directly to HMRC who have told him that as his agent, his accountant "had access to the CIS information and so should have known how much income had been earned and tax deducted". In the few words I got in edgeways I explained that we prepare the accounts and return in good faith based on the information he gives us, but am wasting my breath as the client slams the phone down.
How bl**dy dare they (HMRC that is)!!!
Have any other colleagues experienced this bad-mouthing of their work by those shining examples of professionalism and precision at HMRC?
Do we have to write to HMRC routinely now to obtain the CIS info on each of our subbie clients every May/June? When we've done this on odd occasions in the past the responses have ranged from helpful schedules to "Sorry, no. It's your client's responsibility to retain all paperwork."
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 268 4
- Value pricing 682 24
- Reregister for VAT 113 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 192 6
- Weely paid employees 236 3
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 125 3
- Would this save hours of your time? 445 11
- Director's tax return 255 6
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 202 6
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 86 2
- Wrong career 459 18
- Payroo Employer allowance query 132 1
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 275 7
- Laptop purchase 1,379 20
- PTP software disaster 265 2
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 224 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 99 2
- Tricky VAT question 177 1
- VT accounts licence key 267 5
- Splitting the tax year 115 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 794
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 548
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 414
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 292
- Free Tax Legislation? 264
- Director Loan account operation 244
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 238
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 236
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 159