HMRC Bad-mouthing Accountants
Our client, a typical subbie on CIS, gets a compliance check. The income declared on his SATR is short by around £9k according to the CIS information HMRC hold.
Client shrugs and suggests that his contractor didn't give him all his CIS statements. We tell client that, regardless, the tax is still properly due but that we will write to HMRC near the end of the 30 day period in order to put off the inevitable bill and payment due date. Client accepts this and is content that he will have, in effect, a couple of months to find the money.
(As it happens, we also got a few quid knocked off as HMRC had to accept they'd messed up in not adding up their schedule properly ... every little helps.)
We also write to client telling him to expect a tax demand of circa £700.
HMRC send revised calcs showing less than £650. Cool.
A few days later the now very irate client phones up, livid that he's had a "£700 fine" and has evidently spoken directly to HMRC who have told him that as his agent, his accountant "had access to the CIS information and so should have known how much income had been earned and tax deducted". In the few words I got in edgeways I explained that we prepare the accounts and return in good faith based on the information he gives us, but am wasting my breath as the client slams the phone down.
How bl**dy dare they (HMRC that is)!!!
Have any other colleagues experienced this bad-mouthing of their work by those shining examples of professionalism and precision at HMRC?
Do we have to write to HMRC routinely now to obtain the CIS info on each of our subbie clients every May/June? When we've done this on odd occasions in the past the responses have ranged from helpful schedules to "Sorry, no. It's your client's responsibility to retain all paperwork."
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 381 22
- How would you account for warranty? 95 3
- Sweet Tooth 112 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,008 13
- LLP - Member leaving 68 4
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 179 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 152 2
- trading or dormant 85 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 71 1
- tax credits 107 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 509 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 173 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 558 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 254 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 105 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 190 3
- Foreign income for self employed 123 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 625 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 76 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 492 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 858
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 512
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 324
- How to format a stock book 300
- Tax efficient holding company structure 238
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 233
- Investment property company accounts template 223
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 216
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 185
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 157