HMRC Bad-mouthing Accountants
Our client, a typical subbie on CIS, gets a compliance check. The income declared on his SATR is short by around £9k according to the CIS information HMRC hold.
Client shrugs and suggests that his contractor didn't give him all his CIS statements. We tell client that, regardless, the tax is still properly due but that we will write to HMRC near the end of the 30 day period in order to put off the inevitable bill and payment due date. Client accepts this and is content that he will have, in effect, a couple of months to find the money.
(As it happens, we also got a few quid knocked off as HMRC had to accept they'd messed up in not adding up their schedule properly ... every little helps.)
We also write to client telling him to expect a tax demand of circa £700.
HMRC send revised calcs showing less than £650. Cool.
A few days later the now very irate client phones up, livid that he's had a "£700 fine" and has evidently spoken directly to HMRC who have told him that as his agent, his accountant "had access to the CIS information and so should have known how much income had been earned and tax deducted". In the few words I got in edgeways I explained that we prepare the accounts and return in good faith based on the information he gives us, but am wasting my breath as the client slams the phone down.
How bl**dy dare they (HMRC that is)!!!
Have any other colleagues experienced this bad-mouthing of their work by those shining examples of professionalism and precision at HMRC?
Do we have to write to HMRC routinely now to obtain the CIS info on each of our subbie clients every May/June? When we've done this on odd occasions in the past the responses have ranged from helpful schedules to "Sorry, no. It's your client's responsibility to retain all paperwork."
- VAT on exports to EU 74 1
- 5th April 218 7
- Company buy back of shares from directors 171 9
- Please tell me what to do!! 266 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,974 33
- Cash basis 128 5
- Cash basis 780 28
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 266 2
- Investor exit 241 4
- client threatening legal action 2,291 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 129 2
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 227 3
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 342 14
- Undeclared rental income 2,577 23
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 557 23
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 331 9
- Rental income 149 2
- s455 Directors loan 207 3
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 75 1
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,187 8
- Skandia using wrong address 608
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 327
- Employee rewards 307
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 273
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 237
- Etax Australian 200
- LLP in Construction Industry 165
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 153
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 140
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 136