HMRC Bad-mouthing Accountants
Our client, a typical subbie on CIS, gets a compliance check. The income declared on his SATR is short by around £9k according to the CIS information HMRC hold.
Client shrugs and suggests that his contractor didn't give him all his CIS statements. We tell client that, regardless, the tax is still properly due but that we will write to HMRC near the end of the 30 day period in order to put off the inevitable bill and payment due date. Client accepts this and is content that he will have, in effect, a couple of months to find the money.
(As it happens, we also got a few quid knocked off as HMRC had to accept they'd messed up in not adding up their schedule properly ... every little helps.)
We also write to client telling him to expect a tax demand of circa £700.
HMRC send revised calcs showing less than £650. Cool.
A few days later the now very irate client phones up, livid that he's had a "£700 fine" and has evidently spoken directly to HMRC who have told him that as his agent, his accountant "had access to the CIS information and so should have known how much income had been earned and tax deducted". In the few words I got in edgeways I explained that we prepare the accounts and return in good faith based on the information he gives us, but am wasting my breath as the client slams the phone down.
How bl**dy dare they (HMRC that is)!!!
Have any other colleagues experienced this bad-mouthing of their work by those shining examples of professionalism and precision at HMRC?
Do we have to write to HMRC routinely now to obtain the CIS info on each of our subbie clients every May/June? When we've done this on odd occasions in the past the responses have ranged from helpful schedules to "Sorry, no. It's your client's responsibility to retain all paperwork."
- Cheque alternative - letter to HMRC re undeclared income 246 3
- Professional Clearance 395 14
- Property Expenses - Allowable 289 4
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,244 35
- SA302's anyone?? 170 6
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,104 13
- do i pay vat when buying a business 355 21
- VAT errors 117 3
- Introduction of Goodwill 798 15
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 170 5
- VAT & Landlords 257 7
- are receipts needed? 432 13
- Capital reduction 200 1
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 306 1
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 148 4
- CIC accounts submission 177 4
- Zero Rated Catering delivery charges 140 5
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 638 21
- New accountant 620 9
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 257 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,596
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 887
- International interest certificate 495
- NOVA 352
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 264
- Bonus Bonds 247
- Management expenses for investment company 247
- Help with tax codes on Sage 190
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 154
- Clogged Losses 152