HMRC Bad-mouthing Accountants
Our client, a typical subbie on CIS, gets a compliance check. The income declared on his SATR is short by around £9k according to the CIS information HMRC hold.
Client shrugs and suggests that his contractor didn't give him all his CIS statements. We tell client that, regardless, the tax is still properly due but that we will write to HMRC near the end of the 30 day period in order to put off the inevitable bill and payment due date. Client accepts this and is content that he will have, in effect, a couple of months to find the money.
(As it happens, we also got a few quid knocked off as HMRC had to accept they'd messed up in not adding up their schedule properly ... every little helps.)
We also write to client telling him to expect a tax demand of circa £700.
HMRC send revised calcs showing less than £650. Cool.
A few days later the now very irate client phones up, livid that he's had a "£700 fine" and has evidently spoken directly to HMRC who have told him that as his agent, his accountant "had access to the CIS information and so should have known how much income had been earned and tax deducted". In the few words I got in edgeways I explained that we prepare the accounts and return in good faith based on the information he gives us, but am wasting my breath as the client slams the phone down.
How bl**dy dare they (HMRC that is)!!!
Have any other colleagues experienced this bad-mouthing of their work by those shining examples of professionalism and precision at HMRC?
Do we have to write to HMRC routinely now to obtain the CIS info on each of our subbie clients every May/June? When we've done this on odd occasions in the past the responses have ranged from helpful schedules to "Sorry, no. It's your client's responsibility to retain all paperwork."
- Dividend dates 540 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 99 3
- Sole properietor 139 4
- transitioning payroll 215 8
- dividend proposals 69 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 213 2
- Deduction from Salary 277 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 171 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,698 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 74 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 428 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 155 2
- 12 Pay Problems 244 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 240 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 86 1
- Redudancy 87 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 478 13
- VAT - Recharge 93 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 353 4
- Legal title not in the company name 234 9
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 362
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 310
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 282
- Probiz 270
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 227
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 226
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 174