HMRC Bad-mouthing Accountants
Our client, a typical subbie on CIS, gets a compliance check. The income declared on his SATR is short by around £9k according to the CIS information HMRC hold.
Client shrugs and suggests that his contractor didn't give him all his CIS statements. We tell client that, regardless, the tax is still properly due but that we will write to HMRC near the end of the 30 day period in order to put off the inevitable bill and payment due date. Client accepts this and is content that he will have, in effect, a couple of months to find the money.
(As it happens, we also got a few quid knocked off as HMRC had to accept they'd messed up in not adding up their schedule properly ... every little helps.)
We also write to client telling him to expect a tax demand of circa £700.
HMRC send revised calcs showing less than £650. Cool.
A few days later the now very irate client phones up, livid that he's had a "£700 fine" and has evidently spoken directly to HMRC who have told him that as his agent, his accountant "had access to the CIS information and so should have known how much income had been earned and tax deducted". In the few words I got in edgeways I explained that we prepare the accounts and return in good faith based on the information he gives us, but am wasting my breath as the client slams the phone down.
How bl**dy dare they (HMRC that is)!!!
Have any other colleagues experienced this bad-mouthing of their work by those shining examples of professionalism and precision at HMRC?
Do we have to write to HMRC routinely now to obtain the CIS info on each of our subbie clients every May/June? When we've done this on odd occasions in the past the responses have ranged from helpful schedules to "Sorry, no. It's your client's responsibility to retain all paperwork."
- Go Cardless 226 8
- business entertaining deductibility 76 1
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 741 17
- Self assessment tax arrears 71 2
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 871 51
- R & D 88 3
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 205 1
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 54 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 89 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 114 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 101 1
- New Business Registration 201 5
- Audit rules 129 3
- Hosted email exchange 115 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 131 1
- G P life time allowance 98 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 359 11
- Bringing money to Uk 202 3
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 113 1
- Accounting for investment club gains 105 2
- Xtuple 497
- Qtac payroll for bureau 332
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 276
- Industrial & Provident Societies 272
- Mehjoo 215
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 214
- New strategic report 168
- Domain name sale and limited company 153
- South African Government Pension 148
- CIS schemes 143