HMRC Enquiry Handbook
I run a small practice from home - just me and one part time accountant - specialising in individuals and small owner managed businesses.
It seems that more and more of our clients are receiving "aspect enquiries" and this is an area that I find really interesting. At the risk of sounding a bit geeky, I like nothing more than quoting tax legislation at HMRC - especially when they are pushing their luck a little bit!
I have not yet had any full blown enquiries to deal with, and certainly none that have needed to go before the special commissioners, but I'm sure that this will become the case sooner or later.
Can anyone suggest any good manuals, books etc on how to conduct and deal with HMRC enquiries? As I find this area so interesting, I would also be interested in attending courses to increase my knowledge and give me additional experience and confidence so that I can market these services to potential clients.
Any comments or suggestions will be gratefully received.
- PAYE versus Dividends 148 2
- Employee or partner 14 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 183 5
- The Cotter Case 180 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 112 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 139 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 60 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 938 16
- Sole Trader business 153 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 152 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 145 1
- Giving a seminar 685 36
- Tax position on lease extension 176 1
- Boffin of the Year 302 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 220 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 238 4
- Sage Depreciation 80 1
- Non sequitur 253 2
- Am i Liable? 882 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 172 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,301
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 641
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 426
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 333
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 262
- Alphabet shares 221
- Agent fees to sell business 215
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 208
- Office recharges 170
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 152