HMRC or not HMRC?
I had a call this evening at 18:06 from this number 0845 300 3950. The caller stated he was from HMRC and wanted to speak to a Mr ****** who is one of my clients.
Told him he had come through to the agent and he asked me to confirm certain details. I refused on the grounds that I did not know who he was and as he rang me then he should know all the dtails anyway.
At this point he became quite irate saying that it was extremely iimportant that he got in touch with Mr ****** and that if I wasn't prepared to either answer his security questions or telephone another number he would escalate the matter to a higher level.
Asked him if he was threatening me and told him not to be so aggressive and arrogant.
Asked him to send me a letter and I will respond - said HMRC had already sent a number of letters and would not send anymore. Told him I had not received any and would'nt it be normal practice that as an agent I should've received them? He agreed that I should but he was stilll going to escalate the matter and hung up on me.
I have tried doing a trace on this number but nothing shows up on the HMRC website but quite a few comments on various chat areas. Seems to be something to do with tax credits.
Anybody else had the same experience?
If it is a genuine HMRC call when are they going to learn that we just don't give personal details over the phone to someone who rings you out of the blue - even if they are genuine. How are we supposed to know if they are or not?
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 313 16
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 425 6
- VAT flat rate scheme 234 4
- Unpaid Fee's 444 8
- IHT on offshore settlement 112 1
- Subcontracting accountancy work 133 2
- Client information from previous accountant 266 5
- Tax and NI on payment to overseas employee 179 2
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 318 10
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 207 9
- A very basic T9 or T0 Question... 252 5
- Corporation Tax DTR 929 9
- PAYE NI 214 3
- break even point 1,045 31
- Tasbook email configuration 214 3
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 248 4
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 142 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 233 2
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,709 31
- quote for winding down two companies and file accounts 171 1
- Possible Partnership? 520
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 500
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 470
- New Fangled Penalties 316
- Clubs and Taxable Income 264
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 261
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 261
- Loans to other companies 198
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 173
- English Company Owning Property in Scotland 169