HMRC or not HMRC?
I had a call this evening at 18:06 from this number 0845 300 3950. The caller stated he was from HMRC and wanted to speak to a Mr ****** who is one of my clients.
Told him he had come through to the agent and he asked me to confirm certain details. I refused on the grounds that I did not know who he was and as he rang me then he should know all the dtails anyway.
At this point he became quite irate saying that it was extremely iimportant that he got in touch with Mr ****** and that if I wasn't prepared to either answer his security questions or telephone another number he would escalate the matter to a higher level.
Asked him if he was threatening me and told him not to be so aggressive and arrogant.
Asked him to send me a letter and I will respond - said HMRC had already sent a number of letters and would not send anymore. Told him I had not received any and would'nt it be normal practice that as an agent I should've received them? He agreed that I should but he was stilll going to escalate the matter and hung up on me.
I have tried doing a trace on this number but nothing shows up on the HMRC website but quite a few comments on various chat areas. Seems to be something to do with tax credits.
Anybody else had the same experience?
If it is a genuine HMRC call when are they going to learn that we just don't give personal details over the phone to someone who rings you out of the blue - even if they are genuine. How are we supposed to know if they are or not?
- Real names 406 15
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 77 1
- Peer to Peer lending 84 5
- Loan interest rental property 167 5
- What's the plural? 632 14
- Garage Conversion -Ltd Company Office 75 1
- Well well well 204 2
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 102 4
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 76 1
- Capital Gains Tax 84 3
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 129 1
- Dividend payment date 1,829 32
- Use of aliases 695 19
- Any Benefit in Kind when obliged to attend a dinner? 137 1
- Accounting Crew 890 20
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 303 12
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 485 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,384 17
- No VAT returns submitted since registration 89 1
- Capital allowances 203 4
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 567
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 427
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 325
- IFA incorporation 303
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 293
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 282
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 247
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 233
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 223
- Sorry ignore me 210