HMRC or not HMRC?
I had a call this evening at 18:06 from this number 0845 300 3950. The caller stated he was from HMRC and wanted to speak to a Mr ****** who is one of my clients.
Told him he had come through to the agent and he asked me to confirm certain details. I refused on the grounds that I did not know who he was and as he rang me then he should know all the dtails anyway.
At this point he became quite irate saying that it was extremely iimportant that he got in touch with Mr ****** and that if I wasn't prepared to either answer his security questions or telephone another number he would escalate the matter to a higher level.
Asked him if he was threatening me and told him not to be so aggressive and arrogant.
Asked him to send me a letter and I will respond - said HMRC had already sent a number of letters and would not send anymore. Told him I had not received any and would'nt it be normal practice that as an agent I should've received them? He agreed that I should but he was stilll going to escalate the matter and hung up on me.
I have tried doing a trace on this number but nothing shows up on the HMRC website but quite a few comments on various chat areas. Seems to be something to do with tax credits.
Anybody else had the same experience?
If it is a genuine HMRC call when are they going to learn that we just don't give personal details over the phone to someone who rings you out of the blue - even if they are genuine. How are we supposed to know if they are or not?
- Pattern for CTA 248 5
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 136 3
- PAYE versus Dividends 159 3
- Employee or partner 24 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 188 5
- The Cotter Case 187 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 128 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 146 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 72 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 940 16
- Sole Trader business 155 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 152 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 148 1
- Giving a seminar 685 36
- Tax position on lease extension 181 1
- Boffin of the Year 306 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 223 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 239 4
- Sage Depreciation 85 1
- Non sequitur 255 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,309
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 643
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 427
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 335
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 264
- Alphabet shares 222
- Agent fees to sell business 216
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 210
- Office recharges 171
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 156