HMRC or not HMRC?
I had a call this evening at 18:06 from this number 0845 300 3950. The caller stated he was from HMRC and wanted to speak to a Mr ****** who is one of my clients.
Told him he had come through to the agent and he asked me to confirm certain details. I refused on the grounds that I did not know who he was and as he rang me then he should know all the dtails anyway.
At this point he became quite irate saying that it was extremely iimportant that he got in touch with Mr ****** and that if I wasn't prepared to either answer his security questions or telephone another number he would escalate the matter to a higher level.
Asked him if he was threatening me and told him not to be so aggressive and arrogant.
Asked him to send me a letter and I will respond - said HMRC had already sent a number of letters and would not send anymore. Told him I had not received any and would'nt it be normal practice that as an agent I should've received them? He agreed that I should but he was stilll going to escalate the matter and hung up on me.
I have tried doing a trace on this number but nothing shows up on the HMRC website but quite a few comments on various chat areas. Seems to be something to do with tax credits.
Anybody else had the same experience?
If it is a genuine HMRC call when are they going to learn that we just don't give personal details over the phone to someone who rings you out of the blue - even if they are genuine. How are we supposed to know if they are or not?
- Quote for client 237 6
- Can a company act like a charity, without being a registered charity? 266 6
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 264 10
- Investment property? 552 4
- error on companies house accounts 899 20
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 172 3
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 993 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 105 2
- Client's company struck off 1,802 21
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 83 1
- Refurbised Pub 163 4
- Amend this years FPS's - any HMRC penalties? 174 4
- Directors obligation to notify 384 6
- Tax relief in respect of rental property/withdrawing of capital 86 2
- ATED on a hotel that isn't in use? 104 1
- Tax and children 325 2
- Moneysoft update problem 258 4
- HMRC stupidity of the day 594 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 859 7
- QROP pension input amounts 532 1
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 515
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 452
- EPS and CIS deductions 319
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 302
- Construction CIS LLP Company 293
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 277
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 222
- SAGE winforecast 213
- Overdrawn director account 201
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 199