HMRC or not HMRC?
I had a call this evening at 18:06 from this number 0845 300 3950. The caller stated he was from HMRC and wanted to speak to a Mr ****** who is one of my clients.
Told him he had come through to the agent and he asked me to confirm certain details. I refused on the grounds that I did not know who he was and as he rang me then he should know all the dtails anyway.
At this point he became quite irate saying that it was extremely iimportant that he got in touch with Mr ****** and that if I wasn't prepared to either answer his security questions or telephone another number he would escalate the matter to a higher level.
Asked him if he was threatening me and told him not to be so aggressive and arrogant.
Asked him to send me a letter and I will respond - said HMRC had already sent a number of letters and would not send anymore. Told him I had not received any and would'nt it be normal practice that as an agent I should've received them? He agreed that I should but he was stilll going to escalate the matter and hung up on me.
I have tried doing a trace on this number but nothing shows up on the HMRC website but quite a few comments on various chat areas. Seems to be something to do with tax credits.
Anybody else had the same experience?
If it is a genuine HMRC call when are they going to learn that we just don't give personal details over the phone to someone who rings you out of the blue - even if they are genuine. How are we supposed to know if they are or not?
- Account and Taxable Profit 247 14
- Probate services 425 9
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 354 7
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,698 37
- Accounting for corporation tax 174 5
- Vat payable on van 100 1
- Class 2 NIC 231 4
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,829 42
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 237 7
- Community Faux Pas 918 26
- Cash gift from India 98 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,305 40
- Windows10 165 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 620 24
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 467 25
- A thursday afternoon muse 217 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 381 6
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 868 5
- Unusual marketing methods for accountants 788 14
- An IT question 289 6
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 835
- Benchmark accounting software 691
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 328
- Oplex Careers CPD 321
- What are HMRC implying? 300
- VAT 257
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 246
- Payroll manager and the cloud 215
- Is the APN valid 196