HMRC or not HMRC?
I had a call this evening at 18:06 from this number 0845 300 3950. The caller stated he was from HMRC and wanted to speak to a Mr ****** who is one of my clients.
Told him he had come through to the agent and he asked me to confirm certain details. I refused on the grounds that I did not know who he was and as he rang me then he should know all the dtails anyway.
At this point he became quite irate saying that it was extremely iimportant that he got in touch with Mr ****** and that if I wasn't prepared to either answer his security questions or telephone another number he would escalate the matter to a higher level.
Asked him if he was threatening me and told him not to be so aggressive and arrogant.
Asked him to send me a letter and I will respond - said HMRC had already sent a number of letters and would not send anymore. Told him I had not received any and would'nt it be normal practice that as an agent I should've received them? He agreed that I should but he was stilll going to escalate the matter and hung up on me.
I have tried doing a trace on this number but nothing shows up on the HMRC website but quite a few comments on various chat areas. Seems to be something to do with tax credits.
Anybody else had the same experience?
If it is a genuine HMRC call when are they going to learn that we just don't give personal details over the phone to someone who rings you out of the blue - even if they are genuine. How are we supposed to know if they are or not?
- Dividend dates 453 8
- R&D tax credit claim 189 5
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,330 27
- PITA client 88 2
- CIS Deductions 257 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 50 1
- is this fraud? 741 13
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,263 32
- Married woman dies owning marital home 468 5
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,473 28
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 197 5
- Not a good start no broadband 466 10
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 161 2
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 710 14
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 207 2
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 85 1
- Intrastat triangulation 69 1
- CGT 151 3
- Supplier refund treatment in Sage Line 50 193 4
- Question regarding gym training 389 6
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 590
- Cancelled 343
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 330
- Cancelled 281
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 252
- Probiz 238
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 176
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 174
- Car leasing scheme 168
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 151