HMRC or not HMRC?
I had a call this evening at 18:06 from this number 0845 300 3950. The caller stated he was from HMRC and wanted to speak to a Mr ****** who is one of my clients.
Told him he had come through to the agent and he asked me to confirm certain details. I refused on the grounds that I did not know who he was and as he rang me then he should know all the dtails anyway.
At this point he became quite irate saying that it was extremely iimportant that he got in touch with Mr ****** and that if I wasn't prepared to either answer his security questions or telephone another number he would escalate the matter to a higher level.
Asked him if he was threatening me and told him not to be so aggressive and arrogant.
Asked him to send me a letter and I will respond - said HMRC had already sent a number of letters and would not send anymore. Told him I had not received any and would'nt it be normal practice that as an agent I should've received them? He agreed that I should but he was stilll going to escalate the matter and hung up on me.
I have tried doing a trace on this number but nothing shows up on the HMRC website but quite a few comments on various chat areas. Seems to be something to do with tax credits.
Anybody else had the same experience?
If it is a genuine HMRC call when are they going to learn that we just don't give personal details over the phone to someone who rings you out of the blue - even if they are genuine. How are we supposed to know if they are or not?
- Where has Portia gone? 8,955 144
- proposed dividends 219 16
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 812 14
- FPS responses ... 60 2
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 1,438 28
- Dividend and pension with no salary 385 4
- NICs and director salary if receiving pension 78 1
- ATT Exam Question 145 5
- shareholder remuneration 126 7
- Vat on solicitors charges 306 7
- What does PITA mean? 674 17
- VATable supplies 120 3
- How does one compete? 239 5
- VAT within EC 80 2
- Should small companies be audited? 1,040 42
- CIS? 265 7
- CGT base cost 424 15
- Help with small charity CT600 please!! 268 2
- Late leaver notification 286 5
- Accountex Exhibition 222 2
- Sanzar 466
- Digital marketing focus group 384
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 359
- Continuity Agreement 302
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 290
- Sainsbury's mangement 285
- Avanti Accounts 275
- Buyback 271
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 213
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 181