HMRC or not HMRC?
I had a call this evening at 18:06 from this number 0845 300 3950. The caller stated he was from HMRC and wanted to speak to a Mr ****** who is one of my clients.
Told him he had come through to the agent and he asked me to confirm certain details. I refused on the grounds that I did not know who he was and as he rang me then he should know all the dtails anyway.
At this point he became quite irate saying that it was extremely iimportant that he got in touch with Mr ****** and that if I wasn't prepared to either answer his security questions or telephone another number he would escalate the matter to a higher level.
Asked him if he was threatening me and told him not to be so aggressive and arrogant.
Asked him to send me a letter and I will respond - said HMRC had already sent a number of letters and would not send anymore. Told him I had not received any and would'nt it be normal practice that as an agent I should've received them? He agreed that I should but he was stilll going to escalate the matter and hung up on me.
I have tried doing a trace on this number but nothing shows up on the HMRC website but quite a few comments on various chat areas. Seems to be something to do with tax credits.
Anybody else had the same experience?
If it is a genuine HMRC call when are they going to learn that we just don't give personal details over the phone to someone who rings you out of the blue - even if they are genuine. How are we supposed to know if they are or not?
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 314 11
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 96 3
- Pension Contributions Relief 479 15
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 75 4
- capital gains on PPR 200 11
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 503 8
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,751 440
- 100% Xero practice 2,453 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 210 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 131 1
- Separating business for VAT purposes 129 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 284 9
- PRR 357 13
- 40% rule for travel expenses 392 11
- Cash injection by shareholder 308 7
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,260 62
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 349 6
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 433 20
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 361 5
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 247 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,314
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 475
- National Insurance 369
- Non Resident 296
- Franchise income and costs 260
- Hands on experience of Digita 214
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 191
- Employer's Helpline 164
- employment capital allowances 160
- CIS paid under reg 9 156