HMRC or not HMRC?
I had a call this evening at 18:06 from this number 0845 300 3950. The caller stated he was from HMRC and wanted to speak to a Mr ****** who is one of my clients.
Told him he had come through to the agent and he asked me to confirm certain details. I refused on the grounds that I did not know who he was and as he rang me then he should know all the dtails anyway.
At this point he became quite irate saying that it was extremely iimportant that he got in touch with Mr ****** and that if I wasn't prepared to either answer his security questions or telephone another number he would escalate the matter to a higher level.
Asked him if he was threatening me and told him not to be so aggressive and arrogant.
Asked him to send me a letter and I will respond - said HMRC had already sent a number of letters and would not send anymore. Told him I had not received any and would'nt it be normal practice that as an agent I should've received them? He agreed that I should but he was stilll going to escalate the matter and hung up on me.
I have tried doing a trace on this number but nothing shows up on the HMRC website but quite a few comments on various chat areas. Seems to be something to do with tax credits.
Anybody else had the same experience?
If it is a genuine HMRC call when are they going to learn that we just don't give personal details over the phone to someone who rings you out of the blue - even if they are genuine. How are we supposed to know if they are or not?
- Fees 354 4
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,834 43
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 449 16
- Time to ditch Sage? 314 5
- Losses carry forward to self employed 95 1
- Agent Authorisation Issue 262 3
- HMRC Post 547 7
- Transactions with directors 455 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 297 9
- Non VAT invoices 224 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 224 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,407 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 268 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 237 2
- Form 17 Download 171 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 576 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 392 4
- HMRC Information notice 1,001 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 291 3
- Accountant Specialization. 406 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 765
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 416
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 368
- Electric Car 302
- S222 Charge 246
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 212
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 185
- AIA 181
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 180