HMRC or not HMRC?
I had a call this evening at 18:06 from this number 0845 300 3950. The caller stated he was from HMRC and wanted to speak to a Mr ****** who is one of my clients.
Told him he had come through to the agent and he asked me to confirm certain details. I refused on the grounds that I did not know who he was and as he rang me then he should know all the dtails anyway.
At this point he became quite irate saying that it was extremely iimportant that he got in touch with Mr ****** and that if I wasn't prepared to either answer his security questions or telephone another number he would escalate the matter to a higher level.
Asked him if he was threatening me and told him not to be so aggressive and arrogant.
Asked him to send me a letter and I will respond - said HMRC had already sent a number of letters and would not send anymore. Told him I had not received any and would'nt it be normal practice that as an agent I should've received them? He agreed that I should but he was stilll going to escalate the matter and hung up on me.
I have tried doing a trace on this number but nothing shows up on the HMRC website but quite a few comments on various chat areas. Seems to be something to do with tax credits.
Anybody else had the same experience?
If it is a genuine HMRC call when are they going to learn that we just don't give personal details over the phone to someone who rings you out of the blue - even if they are genuine. How are we supposed to know if they are or not?
- question about merging two companies... 167 1
- Latest repayment email =interesting paragraph 390 3
- CG on Spanish property disposal 205 7
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 324 5
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 51 1
- VAT charged on non-VAT Invoice 257 6
- VAT on services to EC customer 124 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 453 11
- Do I need to see receipts ? 543 8
- Delayed option to tax 119 1
- Share disclosure re- Power of Attorney 59 1
- Stand alone practice management software 1,214 20
- Submit P11D for 2014 2015 with no Paye Scheme in place 180 3
- Cloud backups – know what you are getting … 363 6
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 738 18
- Summarise excel cashbook by month 253 5
- SA1 forms 303 11
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,037 25
- ACCOUNTING FOR VAT ON EU DISPATCHES AND EXPORTS 147 2
- Loan to employee's company 132 1
- Sainsbury's mangement 805
- Avanti Accounts 670
- Have I done the right thing? 631
- Continuity Agreement 624
- Calling franchise accountants 624
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 480
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 355
- Scammers 311
- Advice please! 220
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 198