HMRC or not HMRC?
I had a call this evening at 18:06 from this number 0845 300 3950. The caller stated he was from HMRC and wanted to speak to a Mr ****** who is one of my clients.
Told him he had come through to the agent and he asked me to confirm certain details. I refused on the grounds that I did not know who he was and as he rang me then he should know all the dtails anyway.
At this point he became quite irate saying that it was extremely iimportant that he got in touch with Mr ****** and that if I wasn't prepared to either answer his security questions or telephone another number he would escalate the matter to a higher level.
Asked him if he was threatening me and told him not to be so aggressive and arrogant.
Asked him to send me a letter and I will respond - said HMRC had already sent a number of letters and would not send anymore. Told him I had not received any and would'nt it be normal practice that as an agent I should've received them? He agreed that I should but he was stilll going to escalate the matter and hung up on me.
I have tried doing a trace on this number but nothing shows up on the HMRC website but quite a few comments on various chat areas. Seems to be something to do with tax credits.
Anybody else had the same experience?
If it is a genuine HMRC call when are they going to learn that we just don't give personal details over the phone to someone who rings you out of the blue - even if they are genuine. How are we supposed to know if they are or not?
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 309 8
- PITA ex-client 24 1
- Audit 366 10
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 806 21
- Scottish Independance 855 24
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 39 1
- Funding Circle experience 40 1
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 684 20
- Awkward IP 1,474 16
- New supplier 76 2
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 48 2
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 210 12
- Buying a horse?? 284 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 205 4
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,116 12
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 971 11
- What's in a name ? 1,142 9
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 222 2
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 504 7
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 795 22
- CTA study material 791
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 489
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 439
- Employment related securities question 314
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 274
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 271
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 212
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154