HMRC or not HMRC?
I had a call this evening at 18:06 from this number 0845 300 3950. The caller stated he was from HMRC and wanted to speak to a Mr ****** who is one of my clients.
Told him he had come through to the agent and he asked me to confirm certain details. I refused on the grounds that I did not know who he was and as he rang me then he should know all the dtails anyway.
At this point he became quite irate saying that it was extremely iimportant that he got in touch with Mr ****** and that if I wasn't prepared to either answer his security questions or telephone another number he would escalate the matter to a higher level.
Asked him if he was threatening me and told him not to be so aggressive and arrogant.
Asked him to send me a letter and I will respond - said HMRC had already sent a number of letters and would not send anymore. Told him I had not received any and would'nt it be normal practice that as an agent I should've received them? He agreed that I should but he was stilll going to escalate the matter and hung up on me.
I have tried doing a trace on this number but nothing shows up on the HMRC website but quite a few comments on various chat areas. Seems to be something to do with tax credits.
Anybody else had the same experience?
If it is a genuine HMRC call when are they going to learn that we just don't give personal details over the phone to someone who rings you out of the blue - even if they are genuine. How are we supposed to know if they are or not?
- Need help with How much or do I charge to much 181 4
- Allowable expenses on retal property 126 2
- Identity Checks 89 1
- Mandatory Capitalisation 118 2
- Running Sage on a Mac 100 1
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 4,319 94
- HMRC CT600 TOOL 283 5
- Cash bashed (FRS) vs cash accounting (standard VAT)? 124 2
- notarising & legalising documents 170 4
- question 435 4
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 406 11
- Income prior to company formation 211 8
- VAT on farm machinery sold 124 2
- Seeking advice: Tax on investing in a subsidiary 152 6
- Property pages or self-employed? 152 2
- Any thoughts on Capium? 422 3
- When to register or not for PAYE 460 8
- Can criminal action be a defence? 211 5
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,418 14
- National Living Wage: creating jobs or unemployment? 314 6
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 398
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 289
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 260
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 255
- French ConnectionUK 203
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 190
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 186
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 182
- APN's 173
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 147