HMRC or not HMRC?
I had a call this evening at 18:06 from this number 0845 300 3950. The caller stated he was from HMRC and wanted to speak to a Mr ****** who is one of my clients.
Told him he had come through to the agent and he asked me to confirm certain details. I refused on the grounds that I did not know who he was and as he rang me then he should know all the dtails anyway.
At this point he became quite irate saying that it was extremely iimportant that he got in touch with Mr ****** and that if I wasn't prepared to either answer his security questions or telephone another number he would escalate the matter to a higher level.
Asked him if he was threatening me and told him not to be so aggressive and arrogant.
Asked him to send me a letter and I will respond - said HMRC had already sent a number of letters and would not send anymore. Told him I had not received any and would'nt it be normal practice that as an agent I should've received them? He agreed that I should but he was stilll going to escalate the matter and hung up on me.
I have tried doing a trace on this number but nothing shows up on the HMRC website but quite a few comments on various chat areas. Seems to be something to do with tax credits.
Anybody else had the same experience?
If it is a genuine HMRC call when are they going to learn that we just don't give personal details over the phone to someone who rings you out of the blue - even if they are genuine. How are we supposed to know if they are or not?
- client can't/won't pay 160 9
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 189 6
- losses carried forward 346 10
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 447 22
- Auto enrolment 1,608 26
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 192 8
- VT 327 7
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 677 18
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 98 2
- 5% penalty on late payment 122 2
- Ongoing trade? 235 5
- Tax Enquiry - Inspector Error 274 2
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 871 41
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 144 3
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 730 19
- Tax Penalty overeaction 550 10
- New Boiler at Rental Property 251 3
- Can I undertake a solicitors audit? 244 4
- Freelance software consultant 285 3
- opening balamces 350 11
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 775
- Copy Wanted 487
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 450
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 448
- Latest phishing scam 278
- Entrepreneurs' relief 260
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 257
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 242
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 226
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 224