HMRC or not HMRC?
I had a call this evening at 18:06 from this number 0845 300 3950. The caller stated he was from HMRC and wanted to speak to a Mr ****** who is one of my clients.
Told him he had come through to the agent and he asked me to confirm certain details. I refused on the grounds that I did not know who he was and as he rang me then he should know all the dtails anyway.
At this point he became quite irate saying that it was extremely iimportant that he got in touch with Mr ****** and that if I wasn't prepared to either answer his security questions or telephone another number he would escalate the matter to a higher level.
Asked him if he was threatening me and told him not to be so aggressive and arrogant.
Asked him to send me a letter and I will respond - said HMRC had already sent a number of letters and would not send anymore. Told him I had not received any and would'nt it be normal practice that as an agent I should've received them? He agreed that I should but he was stilll going to escalate the matter and hung up on me.
I have tried doing a trace on this number but nothing shows up on the HMRC website but quite a few comments on various chat areas. Seems to be something to do with tax credits.
Anybody else had the same experience?
If it is a genuine HMRC call when are they going to learn that we just don't give personal details over the phone to someone who rings you out of the blue - even if they are genuine. How are we supposed to know if they are or not?
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 331 3
- iris update 11.9.2 419 7
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 116 1
- HMRC Discovery powers 208 3
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 624 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 126 2
- Paying Son 423 15
- Employers NI allowance 320 3
- Which time limits apply? 377 4
- Client Paperwork Retention? 377 10
- Exclusion from VAT Registration 163 4
- Appeal against penalty- error in SA tax return 290 3
- Just checking re PSA 246 1
- Reimbursing director travel costs 326 4
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 1,508 7
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,539 19
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 333 2
- Friday Question 594 7
- New Client works under PAYE but is about to set up own LTD. 436 8
- Independent Examination work programme 169 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 494
- DTA tie-breaker issue 294
- CGT for NOn UK residents 264
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 257
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 246
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 232
- Apprenticeship Levy 228
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 220
- Capital Gains personal representatives 207
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 193