HMRC or not HMRC?
I had a call this evening at 18:06 from this number 0845 300 3950. The caller stated he was from HMRC and wanted to speak to a Mr ****** who is one of my clients.
Told him he had come through to the agent and he asked me to confirm certain details. I refused on the grounds that I did not know who he was and as he rang me then he should know all the dtails anyway.
At this point he became quite irate saying that it was extremely iimportant that he got in touch with Mr ****** and that if I wasn't prepared to either answer his security questions or telephone another number he would escalate the matter to a higher level.
Asked him if he was threatening me and told him not to be so aggressive and arrogant.
Asked him to send me a letter and I will respond - said HMRC had already sent a number of letters and would not send anymore. Told him I had not received any and would'nt it be normal practice that as an agent I should've received them? He agreed that I should but he was stilll going to escalate the matter and hung up on me.
I have tried doing a trace on this number but nothing shows up on the HMRC website but quite a few comments on various chat areas. Seems to be something to do with tax credits.
Anybody else had the same experience?
If it is a genuine HMRC call when are they going to learn that we just don't give personal details over the phone to someone who rings you out of the blue - even if they are genuine. How are we supposed to know if they are or not?
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 266 11
- Tax return software for remote working 417 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 414 9
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 751 24
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 375 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 425 9
- How to purchase business premises? 104 2
- Will I need to resign? 760 10
- Childcare vouchers 109 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 257 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 285 6
- VAT avoidance? 191 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 164 3
- PAYE coding out 148 3
- Follower cases 567 2
- LIVE chat, starting now 447 2
- Late Registration for VAT 443 12
- TheTax Donut 1,137 1
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 702 10
- How to explain this to someone 412 2
- Hive up 464
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 429
- corporate hierarchy 411
- Advice - 239
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 209
- Amortisation of Goodwill 207
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 195
- WWOOFers 187
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 170
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 169