HMRC "rethinking" draft legislation for tackling tax agents
Great news folks!
HMRC has listened to the barrage of criticsm which as been flung at it over the past few days. It is going to have another think about the draft Tax Agents legislation and as a result, consultation is going to be extended for the legislation until 28 April. This means that new legislation will NOT be included in the 2010 Finance Bill.
The main problem was that under its proposals anyone giving any advice that led to any tax saving would be deemed to be a tax agent.
A further problem is that it creates a new offence of "Deliberate wrongdoing" this is meant to be the civil version of fraud, except that it doesn't sound half as scary. John Whiting of the CIOT commented yesterday as to why HMRC does not just stick the schedule 24 FA 2007 terminology of "deliberate and concealed" behaviour. I think he has a good point.
You still have until 3 March to respond to the main consultation, so don't forget about that.
Virtual Tax services for accountants: www.rossmartin.co.uk
- PPR election - what do you think? 217 7
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 100 3
- Comments on this scenario 108 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,636 67
- Penalties 111 1
- SAGE con 222 4
- rates of pay query 217 3
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 86 2
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 138 10
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 198 1
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 106 1
- Overpayment relief claim 153 5
- Charity reserves 130 3
- Have i messed up? 670 10
- Year end 363 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 221 3
- Related Parties Note 419 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 107 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 130 4
- loss on carbon credits 111 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,014
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 552
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 362
- Tax efficient holding company structure 288
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 276
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 214
- Charge out rates in London? 210
- Personal consumption by landlord 183
- Interest on Loan to a Company 174
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 150