Holdover for letting business
I have a couple of clients who run property partnership business. These are run commercially with accounts, payroll and with a view to profit etc.
They are both coincidentally looking to incorporate for completely separate commercial reasons. One outcome of incorporation is the possibility of claiming some sort of holdover relief, namely for example s162.
However, in the first instance, gut reaction is that, a letting business is not a trade and therefore will not qualify. However, on deeper review of legislation, it is clear that firstly, s162 has a wider definition to encapsulate the term 'business' as opposed to trade, and secondly there is no definition of 'business' in the legislation.
The Revenue manuals state that they themselves have not defined 'business' but that in practice it would have its normal definition, whatever that is.
I am wondering whether anyone has been successful in agreeing a holdover claim for a rental business run as a substantial partnership, i.e. more than just husband and wife, in treating it as a business for the purposes of s162. On the other hand I would like a definitive reason why it would not be available.
Any help would be most useful.
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 142 7
- Where has Portia gone? 4,998 108
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 25 1
- Overlap profit 284 6
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 300 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,052 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 92 1
- Payments on account 155 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 45 1
- What do your junior staff do? 503 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 626 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 393 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 526 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 121 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,922 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 328 3
- On the high seas 104 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 142 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 855 34
- Payroll question 151 2
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 849
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 444
- Sanzar 338
- How do you do it 335
- Digital marketing focus group 310
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 291
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 206
- Fit for purpose 200
- new investor structure 196
- VAT Registration 178