Holdover for letting business
I have a couple of clients who run property partnership business. These are run commercially with accounts, payroll and with a view to profit etc.
They are both coincidentally looking to incorporate for completely separate commercial reasons. One outcome of incorporation is the possibility of claiming some sort of holdover relief, namely for example s162.
However, in the first instance, gut reaction is that, a letting business is not a trade and therefore will not qualify. However, on deeper review of legislation, it is clear that firstly, s162 has a wider definition to encapsulate the term 'business' as opposed to trade, and secondly there is no definition of 'business' in the legislation.
The Revenue manuals state that they themselves have not defined 'business' but that in practice it would have its normal definition, whatever that is.
I am wondering whether anyone has been successful in agreeing a holdover claim for a rental business run as a substantial partnership, i.e. more than just husband and wife, in treating it as a business for the purposes of s162. On the other hand I would like a definitive reason why it would not be available.
Any help would be most useful.
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 111 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,039 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 366 4
- Setting up a practice 357 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 480 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 435 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 251 1
- Love is in the air 523 6
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 652 17
- Stamp Duty 293 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 238 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,800 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 572 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 246 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 261 9
- Client Paperwork Retention? 571 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 580 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 376 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 394 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 454 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 300
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 288
- CGT for NOn UK residents 280
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 275
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 253
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 239
- Apprenticeship Levy 236
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 224
- Capital Gains personal representatives 220
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 208