Holdover for letting business
I have a couple of clients who run property partnership business. These are run commercially with accounts, payroll and with a view to profit etc.
They are both coincidentally looking to incorporate for completely separate commercial reasons. One outcome of incorporation is the possibility of claiming some sort of holdover relief, namely for example s162.
However, in the first instance, gut reaction is that, a letting business is not a trade and therefore will not qualify. However, on deeper review of legislation, it is clear that firstly, s162 has a wider definition to encapsulate the term 'business' as opposed to trade, and secondly there is no definition of 'business' in the legislation.
The Revenue manuals state that they themselves have not defined 'business' but that in practice it would have its normal definition, whatever that is.
I am wondering whether anyone has been successful in agreeing a holdover claim for a rental business run as a substantial partnership, i.e. more than just husband and wife, in treating it as a business for the purposes of s162. On the other hand I would like a definitive reason why it would not be available.
Any help would be most useful.
- FHL - hedge purchase 98 1
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 519 18
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 264 3
- Fees 463 6
- HMRC Post 579 8
- Time to ditch Sage? 430 8
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 178 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 441 8
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 288 3
- www.pool.adzio 158 2
- Losses carry forward to self employed 188 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,879 43
- Agent Authorisation Issue 285 3
- Transactions with directors 480 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 313 9
- Non VAT invoices 249 4
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,434 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 280 5
- Form 17 Download 197 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 598 28
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 766
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 419
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 370
- Electric Car 303
- S222 Charge 250
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 214
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 190
- AIA 188
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 182