Holdover for letting business
I have a couple of clients who run property partnership business. These are run commercially with accounts, payroll and with a view to profit etc.
They are both coincidentally looking to incorporate for completely separate commercial reasons. One outcome of incorporation is the possibility of claiming some sort of holdover relief, namely for example s162.
However, in the first instance, gut reaction is that, a letting business is not a trade and therefore will not qualify. However, on deeper review of legislation, it is clear that firstly, s162 has a wider definition to encapsulate the term 'business' as opposed to trade, and secondly there is no definition of 'business' in the legislation.
The Revenue manuals state that they themselves have not defined 'business' but that in practice it would have its normal definition, whatever that is.
I am wondering whether anyone has been successful in agreeing a holdover claim for a rental business run as a substantial partnership, i.e. more than just husband and wife, in treating it as a business for the purposes of s162. On the other hand I would like a definitive reason why it would not be available.
Any help would be most useful.
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 41 1
- Married woman dies owning marital home 249 1
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 179 7
- Incorporation Relief 275 6
- Penalty suspension 113 2
- Not a good start no broadband 40 2
- is this fraud? 267 7
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 315 7
- R&D tax credit claim 106 2
- Directors Subsistence 281 2
- Corporate shareholder question 225 4
- Bartercard 302 4
- What's the market like for temps? 235 1
- is my company accounts right? 956 24
- What can my client claim r & d on? 156 4
- P11D Dispensation 149 2
- Extracting funds from a failing Company 390 7
- Invoice Help 419 11
- CGT 92 2
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 317 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 558
- Cancelled 322
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 320
- Cancelled 271
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 231
- Probiz 219
- CIS Deductions 172
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 168
- Car leasing scheme 150
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 149