Holdover for letting business
I have a couple of clients who run property partnership business. These are run commercially with accounts, payroll and with a view to profit etc.
They are both coincidentally looking to incorporate for completely separate commercial reasons. One outcome of incorporation is the possibility of claiming some sort of holdover relief, namely for example s162.
However, in the first instance, gut reaction is that, a letting business is not a trade and therefore will not qualify. However, on deeper review of legislation, it is clear that firstly, s162 has a wider definition to encapsulate the term 'business' as opposed to trade, and secondly there is no definition of 'business' in the legislation.
The Revenue manuals state that they themselves have not defined 'business' but that in practice it would have its normal definition, whatever that is.
I am wondering whether anyone has been successful in agreeing a holdover claim for a rental business run as a substantial partnership, i.e. more than just husband and wife, in treating it as a business for the purposes of s162. On the other hand I would like a definitive reason why it would not be available.
Any help would be most useful.
- change of office address 71 3
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 337 4
- Unallocated client money 194 6
- Incorporation Relief 82 2
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 96 1
- Letting income or partnership income? 54 1
- Quick Easy Quote 204 3
- Furniture Rental Business 71 2
- Client Death 535 9
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 169 4
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 348 2
- Are Bursaries Taxable 83 2
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 318 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 146 3
- Accountancy Software Recommendation for eCommerce Business 405 5
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,927 38
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 966 15
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 345 5
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 132 2
- Extracting funds from a failing Company 213 6
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 598
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 473
- Sorry ignore me 369
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 276
- Cancelled 238
- Cancelled 206
- Bartercard 170
- C79 Discrepancy 165
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 158