Holdover for letting business
I have a couple of clients who run property partnership business. These are run commercially with accounts, payroll and with a view to profit etc.
They are both coincidentally looking to incorporate for completely separate commercial reasons. One outcome of incorporation is the possibility of claiming some sort of holdover relief, namely for example s162.
However, in the first instance, gut reaction is that, a letting business is not a trade and therefore will not qualify. However, on deeper review of legislation, it is clear that firstly, s162 has a wider definition to encapsulate the term 'business' as opposed to trade, and secondly there is no definition of 'business' in the legislation.
The Revenue manuals state that they themselves have not defined 'business' but that in practice it would have its normal definition, whatever that is.
I am wondering whether anyone has been successful in agreeing a holdover claim for a rental business run as a substantial partnership, i.e. more than just husband and wife, in treating it as a business for the purposes of s162. On the other hand I would like a definitive reason why it would not be available.
Any help would be most useful.
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 69 2
- Moving to the cloud 614 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 147 2
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 70 1
- Companies house strike off 49 1
- How much to charge for payroll? 729 16
- When do we qualify for state pension? 157 2
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 128 4
- BTC vs Digita 977 29
- Seeking a tax case 262 8
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 292 4
- See you all on the other side 241 5
- VATABLE Income 289 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 235 2
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 269 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 493 6
- P11D software 106 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 534 9
- VAT - business splitting 236 3
- Income tax or Capital gains tax? 586 16
- HMRC Joint Filing 522
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 392
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 352
- IRIS and FRS 102 325
- Capitalising Finance Lease 293
- USA help 283
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 246
- Capital gains on rental property 228
- Sage Coretime 215
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 211