Holdover for letting business
I have a couple of clients who run property partnership business. These are run commercially with accounts, payroll and with a view to profit etc.
They are both coincidentally looking to incorporate for completely separate commercial reasons. One outcome of incorporation is the possibility of claiming some sort of holdover relief, namely for example s162.
However, in the first instance, gut reaction is that, a letting business is not a trade and therefore will not qualify. However, on deeper review of legislation, it is clear that firstly, s162 has a wider definition to encapsulate the term 'business' as opposed to trade, and secondly there is no definition of 'business' in the legislation.
The Revenue manuals state that they themselves have not defined 'business' but that in practice it would have its normal definition, whatever that is.
I am wondering whether anyone has been successful in agreeing a holdover claim for a rental business run as a substantial partnership, i.e. more than just husband and wife, in treating it as a business for the purposes of s162. On the other hand I would like a definitive reason why it would not be available.
Any help would be most useful.
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 547 19
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,459 17
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,049 35
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,196 44
- R&D tax claim 245 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 517 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 171 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 126 2
- Gift to employee 369 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 146 1
- Transfer of a business 124 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,133 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 413 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 114 2
- Sage Import Data 311 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 242 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 124 2
- Best time software for small practice? 231 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 319 13
- private to company car? 374 9
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 479
- CTA study material 454
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 332
- Pre incorp expenses 308
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 267
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 254
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 204
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 159
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 140
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 133