Holdover for letting business
I have a couple of clients who run property partnership business. These are run commercially with accounts, payroll and with a view to profit etc.
They are both coincidentally looking to incorporate for completely separate commercial reasons. One outcome of incorporation is the possibility of claiming some sort of holdover relief, namely for example s162.
However, in the first instance, gut reaction is that, a letting business is not a trade and therefore will not qualify. However, on deeper review of legislation, it is clear that firstly, s162 has a wider definition to encapsulate the term 'business' as opposed to trade, and secondly there is no definition of 'business' in the legislation.
The Revenue manuals state that they themselves have not defined 'business' but that in practice it would have its normal definition, whatever that is.
I am wondering whether anyone has been successful in agreeing a holdover claim for a rental business run as a substantial partnership, i.e. more than just husband and wife, in treating it as a business for the purposes of s162. On the other hand I would like a definitive reason why it would not be available.
Any help would be most useful.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 944 29
- You know its over 327 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 483 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 212 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 165 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 153 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 235 3
- Cocaine anyone? 504 8
- Late Registration for VAT 481 13
- EIS/SEIS 137 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 272 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 410 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 418 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 710 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 551 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 586 4
- Personal pension 399 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 221 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,214 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 168 3
- Hive up 490
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 454
- corporate hierarchy 435
- Advice - 271
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 224
- WWOOFers 217
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 206
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 199
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 176
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 173