Holdover for letting business
I have a couple of clients who run property partnership business. These are run commercially with accounts, payroll and with a view to profit etc.
They are both coincidentally looking to incorporate for completely separate commercial reasons. One outcome of incorporation is the possibility of claiming some sort of holdover relief, namely for example s162.
However, in the first instance, gut reaction is that, a letting business is not a trade and therefore will not qualify. However, on deeper review of legislation, it is clear that firstly, s162 has a wider definition to encapsulate the term 'business' as opposed to trade, and secondly there is no definition of 'business' in the legislation.
The Revenue manuals state that they themselves have not defined 'business' but that in practice it would have its normal definition, whatever that is.
I am wondering whether anyone has been successful in agreeing a holdover claim for a rental business run as a substantial partnership, i.e. more than just husband and wife, in treating it as a business for the purposes of s162. On the other hand I would like a definitive reason why it would not be available.
Any help would be most useful.
- Closing my business down 256 18
- Your comments please 71 2
- CGT history of shares 28 1
- Accounting for reversed transaction 32 1
- Ordering same-day transactions 39 1
- As a soletrader taxi service, would purchasing low emissions taxi-cars qualify for AIA capital allowance? 136 1
- Scams are not always obvious 2,264 37
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,486 21
- What do you all do in your spare time? 898 36
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 50 1
- VAT flat rate scheme 146 2
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 173 1
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 237 3
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 622 13
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 242 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 198 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 154 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 312 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 101 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,123 18
- Moving away from CCH software 957
- QROP pension input amounts 444
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 387
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 362
- fraud 288
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 263
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 232
- Construction CIS LLP Company 216
- EPS and CIS deductions 206
- Out of time or not? 189