Holdover for letting business
I have a couple of clients who run property partnership business. These are run commercially with accounts, payroll and with a view to profit etc.
They are both coincidentally looking to incorporate for completely separate commercial reasons. One outcome of incorporation is the possibility of claiming some sort of holdover relief, namely for example s162.
However, in the first instance, gut reaction is that, a letting business is not a trade and therefore will not qualify. However, on deeper review of legislation, it is clear that firstly, s162 has a wider definition to encapsulate the term 'business' as opposed to trade, and secondly there is no definition of 'business' in the legislation.
The Revenue manuals state that they themselves have not defined 'business' but that in practice it would have its normal definition, whatever that is.
I am wondering whether anyone has been successful in agreeing a holdover claim for a rental business run as a substantial partnership, i.e. more than just husband and wife, in treating it as a business for the purposes of s162. On the other hand I would like a definitive reason why it would not be available.
Any help would be most useful.
- transactions after account have been closed 153 4
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 144 5
- The stupidity continues 584 22
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 520 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 201 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 112 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,339 25
- New Employers Helpline 199 4
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 211 3
- Software recommendations 270 1
- Share transfer question 375 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 320 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 179 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,451 19
- Overlap relief 758 19
- What is IRIS World like? 364 8
- Pension contributions 380 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 508 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 200 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 280 8
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 438
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 434
- WIP Software 298
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 290
- No payroll scheme in place 234
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 228
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 206
- Is there anything wrong with this? 200
- Small Part Disposal of Property 188
- Uncommercial property business 179