Holdover for letting business
I have a couple of clients who run property partnership business. These are run commercially with accounts, payroll and with a view to profit etc.
They are both coincidentally looking to incorporate for completely separate commercial reasons. One outcome of incorporation is the possibility of claiming some sort of holdover relief, namely for example s162.
However, in the first instance, gut reaction is that, a letting business is not a trade and therefore will not qualify. However, on deeper review of legislation, it is clear that firstly, s162 has a wider definition to encapsulate the term 'business' as opposed to trade, and secondly there is no definition of 'business' in the legislation.
The Revenue manuals state that they themselves have not defined 'business' but that in practice it would have its normal definition, whatever that is.
I am wondering whether anyone has been successful in agreeing a holdover claim for a rental business run as a substantial partnership, i.e. more than just husband and wife, in treating it as a business for the purposes of s162. On the other hand I would like a definitive reason why it would not be available.
Any help would be most useful.
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 265 4
- Director's tax return 346 8
- Comapny valuation qualifications 91 1
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 159 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,090 34
- Flat rate vat 185 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 177 5
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 77 1
- Coming in from the cold 341 3
- Splitting the tax year 164 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 202 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 170 4
- Submitting tax return 169 1
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 264 8
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 137 1
- Sage Payroll 318 11
- Payroo Employer allowance query 212 6
- vat return 269 3
- Value pricing 740 26
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 257 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 805
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 557
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 426
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 306
- Free Tax Legislation? 275
- Director Loan account operation 257
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 253
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 248
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 232
- Paye procedures for CVA 170