Holdover for letting business
I have a couple of clients who run property partnership business. These are run commercially with accounts, payroll and with a view to profit etc.
They are both coincidentally looking to incorporate for completely separate commercial reasons. One outcome of incorporation is the possibility of claiming some sort of holdover relief, namely for example s162.
However, in the first instance, gut reaction is that, a letting business is not a trade and therefore will not qualify. However, on deeper review of legislation, it is clear that firstly, s162 has a wider definition to encapsulate the term 'business' as opposed to trade, and secondly there is no definition of 'business' in the legislation.
The Revenue manuals state that they themselves have not defined 'business' but that in practice it would have its normal definition, whatever that is.
I am wondering whether anyone has been successful in agreeing a holdover claim for a rental business run as a substantial partnership, i.e. more than just husband and wife, in treating it as a business for the purposes of s162. On the other hand I would like a definitive reason why it would not be available.
Any help would be most useful.
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 185 7
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 186 8
- Parent and subsidiary... 124 4
- Clothing 538 15
- Anybody still doing returns? 772 32
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,224 17
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 357 16
- Designated sole Residence 158 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 732 15
- Anyone know what this is? 277 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 915 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 538 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 278 9
- no utr 306 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,143 49
- Director drawings 612 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 299 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 94 1
- Capital Loss 142 3
- LLP formed in 2013 114 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 956
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 678
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 625
- Latest phishing scam 600
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 440
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 327
- Scratch Head 266
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 258
- Sabbatical payments 219
- Negligible Value Claim 199