Holdover for letting business
I have a couple of clients who run property partnership business. These are run commercially with accounts, payroll and with a view to profit etc.
They are both coincidentally looking to incorporate for completely separate commercial reasons. One outcome of incorporation is the possibility of claiming some sort of holdover relief, namely for example s162.
However, in the first instance, gut reaction is that, a letting business is not a trade and therefore will not qualify. However, on deeper review of legislation, it is clear that firstly, s162 has a wider definition to encapsulate the term 'business' as opposed to trade, and secondly there is no definition of 'business' in the legislation.
The Revenue manuals state that they themselves have not defined 'business' but that in practice it would have its normal definition, whatever that is.
I am wondering whether anyone has been successful in agreeing a holdover claim for a rental business run as a substantial partnership, i.e. more than just husband and wife, in treating it as a business for the purposes of s162. On the other hand I would like a definitive reason why it would not be available.
Any help would be most useful.
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 129 3
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,463 40
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 76 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 236 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 228 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,229 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 361 6
- Go Cardless 378 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 324 3
- Mehjoo 332 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 147 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 404 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 193 4
- SA302 342 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 292 13
- Bringing money to Uk 297 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 218 4
- Hmrc software 258 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 191 1
- Hosted email exchange 191 5
- Xtuple 517
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 235
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 210
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 209
- Domain name sale and limited company 181
- CIS schemes 176
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 151