Holdover for letting business
I have a couple of clients who run property partnership business. These are run commercially with accounts, payroll and with a view to profit etc.
They are both coincidentally looking to incorporate for completely separate commercial reasons. One outcome of incorporation is the possibility of claiming some sort of holdover relief, namely for example s162.
However, in the first instance, gut reaction is that, a letting business is not a trade and therefore will not qualify. However, on deeper review of legislation, it is clear that firstly, s162 has a wider definition to encapsulate the term 'business' as opposed to trade, and secondly there is no definition of 'business' in the legislation.
The Revenue manuals state that they themselves have not defined 'business' but that in practice it would have its normal definition, whatever that is.
I am wondering whether anyone has been successful in agreeing a holdover claim for a rental business run as a substantial partnership, i.e. more than just husband and wife, in treating it as a business for the purposes of s162. On the other hand I would like a definitive reason why it would not be available.
Any help would be most useful.
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 181 4
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 298 6
- Charge out rates in London? 158 2
- Accounting jobs in the UK 56 1
- Negative retained earnings & Dividends 112 3
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 514 15
- pre letting expenses 146 2
- Expat working back in UK 94 3
- Are contractor travel expenses 81 1
- Who owns SAGE Data? 402 8
- Audit Exemption new rules 273 6
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 98 3
- change of paye software 509 13
- Which software for practice books? 465 19
- Several employments - large tax bill remaining 240 4
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 529 2
- share capital calculation 273 14
- Dispensation pointless ? 216 3
- Renting property to yourself 460 12
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,985 51
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 736
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 475
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 289
- How to format a stock book 252
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 206
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 202
- Tax efficient holding company structure 190
- Investment property company accounts template 185
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 178
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 163