How do I combat this particular Inspector......my longest ever running Investigation
I have had an investigation running for some two years, mainly as a result of my client being unable to provide copy building society account statements - the B.Soc in question admitting that the records had been lost.
Lo and behold, when the statements did appear, there were 'unexplainable' bankings of around £6500, together with his car sale proceeds and board/lodgings money received from his son.
I made the client aware that anything he could not explain would have to be assessed and most likely back dated over a number of years.
I spoke to the Inspector, who freely admitted my most recent letter had sat on his desk for six weeks. Two days later I received his proposed amendments to which I did not know whether to laugh or cry. The stated net income had been uplifted from £14,000 to £42,000 based on what was described as 'all unidentified bankings into the Building Society'. All other aspects of the enquiry were concluded.
When I rang him to point out that his list of unidentified bankings actually included £20,000 of inter-account transfers (to accounts he had already inspected) plus the car sale and housekeeping monies - I gave him the opportunity of redoing his paperwork rather than waste my/my clients time based on such nonsense.
When I rang this morning, he now states that they have changed their minds and will be reassessing based on a 'business economic model' that states that a 40 year old builder with children should be earning £200 a day in labour.
How can I combat this man's approach? He is intent on assessing my client by hook or by crook on over £40,000 net income when the true figure even after including the ommissions, is around half that.....
Client has admitted his records were incorrect, but the Revenue are now seemingly using this as a reason to assess him on arbritary amounts that bear no relation to reality.
I would be grateful for any assistance....yes the client has errored, but he was willing to top-up his mortgage to pay all back taxes. If the Revenue succeed in their approach it will bankrupt him.
- Which tax returns can I submit? 173 5
- Cocaine anyone? 897 15
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 259 5
- Vat on new builds 63 1
- Using home as clients registered address 239 5
- VAT MOSS registration 98 1
- Anyone else still working this week? 471 15
- How much does the company pay 822 35
- HMRC property income enquiry 457 10
- Proof of identification 134 2
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 162 4
- Sole Trader change of accounting date 125 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 309 5
- Childcare vouchers 375 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 107 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 100 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 96 1
- two business from one premises 197 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 76 1
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 380 4
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 516
- corporate hierarchy 480
- Advice - 333
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 281
- WWOOFers 269
- The booking.com con 257
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 256
- Cocaine anyone? 238
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 233
- UK State pension paid in NZ 182