How does Research and Development Relief work with companies contracted by the MOD?
I've been looking at R & D relief in my tax studies as well as on HMRC and I have a client who wishes to make use of it if possible.
It's a small company that does research and development on various technologies to do with noise and vibrations with boats. For the most part from what I can tell, they meet the criteria for costs involved and trade, but I'm concerned with the criteria relating to subsidised research and subcontracting.
The director has told me that the company is been employed or contracted or something like that by the Ministry of Defence. Now this means that effectively I suspect that money would be received from them for the research. I do not know at this point whether the intellectual rights vest in the MOD or the company, but I believe it's the latter.
Can anyone advise me on what I should be looking out for when deciding whether this company has any chance of claiming R & D relief when working with the MOD?
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,623 23
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 89 6
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 73 1
- Who can I refer leads to? 240 6
- Companies House 282 4
- RTI - EPS - ??? 99 2
- Contractor/ Ltd Co/with pension 99 2
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 329 9
- Non-reporting of BIK - income tax liability 108 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 211 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 665 8
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 652 14
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 138 1
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 672 7
- Can a sole trader carry back losses to reclaim some tax paid from previous years? 486 5
- SA tax assessments 168 2
- Director self assessment 406 16
- Sage Import Data 179 4
- Late payroll submission on sage 240 2
- Dividend Vouchers 287 4
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 432
- CTA study material 391
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 289
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 268
- Pre incorp expenses 243
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 218
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 212
- Slight twist on employment related securities 197
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 146
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 142