How does Research and Development Relief work with companies contracted by the MOD?
I've been looking at R & D relief in my tax studies as well as on HMRC and I have a client who wishes to make use of it if possible.
It's a small company that does research and development on various technologies to do with noise and vibrations with boats. For the most part from what I can tell, they meet the criteria for costs involved and trade, but I'm concerned with the criteria relating to subsidised research and subcontracting.
The director has told me that the company is been employed or contracted or something like that by the Ministry of Defence. Now this means that effectively I suspect that money would be received from them for the research. I do not know at this point whether the intellectual rights vest in the MOD or the company, but I believe it's the latter.
Can anyone advise me on what I should be looking out for when deciding whether this company has any chance of claiming R & D relief when working with the MOD?
- Sole Trader business 139 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 140 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 135 1
- The Cotter Case 154 1
- Giving a seminar 671 36
- Tax position on lease extension 172 1
- Boffin of the Year 280 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 213 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 230 4
- Sage Depreciation 71 1
- Non sequitur 239 2
- Am i Liable? 864 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 166 1
- tax relief for the cost of trade marks 153 1
- Interest on main residence mortgage then lent to a company 69 1
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 469 10
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 101 1
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 108 2
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 923 15
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 379 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,291
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 637
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 420
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 330
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 256
- Alphabet shares 218
- Agent fees to sell business 211
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 205
- Office recharges 168
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 145