How does Research and Development Relief work with companies contracted by the MOD?
I've been looking at R & D relief in my tax studies as well as on HMRC and I have a client who wishes to make use of it if possible.
It's a small company that does research and development on various technologies to do with noise and vibrations with boats. For the most part from what I can tell, they meet the criteria for costs involved and trade, but I'm concerned with the criteria relating to subsidised research and subcontracting.
The director has told me that the company is been employed or contracted or something like that by the Ministry of Defence. Now this means that effectively I suspect that money would be received from them for the research. I do not know at this point whether the intellectual rights vest in the MOD or the company, but I believe it's the latter.
Can anyone advise me on what I should be looking out for when deciding whether this company has any chance of claiming R & D relief when working with the MOD?
- Need help with How much or do I charge to much 207 4
- Allowable expenses on retal property 160 2
- Identity Checks 98 1
- Mandatory Capitalisation 127 2
- Running Sage on a Mac 117 1
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 4,322 94
- HMRC CT600 TOOL 286 5
- Cash bashed (FRS) vs cash accounting (standard VAT)? 137 2
- notarising & legalising documents 183 4
- question 442 4
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 416 11
- Income prior to company formation 222 8
- VAT on farm machinery sold 145 2
- Seeking advice: Tax on investing in a subsidiary 161 6
- Property pages or self-employed? 170 2
- Any thoughts on Capium? 427 3
- When to register or not for PAYE 466 8
- Can criminal action be a defence? 219 5
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,420 14
- National Living Wage: creating jobs or unemployment? 320 6
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 401
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 290
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 262
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 260
- French ConnectionUK 205
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 193
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 187
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 183
- APN's 175
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 151