How does Research and Development Relief work with companies contracted by the MOD?
I've been looking at R & D relief in my tax studies as well as on HMRC and I have a client who wishes to make use of it if possible.
It's a small company that does research and development on various technologies to do with noise and vibrations with boats. For the most part from what I can tell, they meet the criteria for costs involved and trade, but I'm concerned with the criteria relating to subsidised research and subcontracting.
The director has told me that the company is been employed or contracted or something like that by the Ministry of Defence. Now this means that effectively I suspect that money would be received from them for the research. I do not know at this point whether the intellectual rights vest in the MOD or the company, but I believe it's the latter.
Can anyone advise me on what I should be looking out for when deciding whether this company has any chance of claiming R & D relief when working with the MOD?
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 711 12
- Can you help me spot errors? 130 2
- Direct debit entry query 107 3
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,090 18
- Client needs a UK tax residency certificate for Spanish tax authorities 31 1
- IT advisory questions? 370 10
- Homing sandwiches 742 16
- Acounting Courses 84 1
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 95 2
- signature required 795 30
- Any constructive answers? 303 6
- Stock Control System for Ecommerce Website 263 2
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 81 1
- When to leave the VAT FRS 134 6
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 212 2
- Use of home query 387 7
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 303 7
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 538 11
- CIS software 195 5
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 158 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,286
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 843
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 535
- Digita Hosted Software 349
- Credit where credit's due....... 326
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 250
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 212
- TheTax Donut 208
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 176
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 155