How does Research and Development Relief work with companies contracted by the MOD?
I've been looking at R & D relief in my tax studies as well as on HMRC and I have a client who wishes to make use of it if possible.
It's a small company that does research and development on various technologies to do with noise and vibrations with boats. For the most part from what I can tell, they meet the criteria for costs involved and trade, but I'm concerned with the criteria relating to subsidised research and subcontracting.
The director has told me that the company is been employed or contracted or something like that by the Ministry of Defence. Now this means that effectively I suspect that money would be received from them for the research. I do not know at this point whether the intellectual rights vest in the MOD or the company, but I believe it's the latter.
Can anyone advise me on what I should be looking out for when deciding whether this company has any chance of claiming R & D relief when working with the MOD?
- Which tax returns can I submit? 170 5
- Cocaine anyone? 895 15
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 257 5
- Vat on new builds 62 1
- Using home as clients registered address 237 5
- VAT MOSS registration 98 1
- Anyone else still working this week? 470 15
- How much does the company pay 821 35
- HMRC property income enquiry 456 10
- Proof of identification 131 2
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 159 4
- Sole Trader change of accounting date 124 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 308 5
- Childcare vouchers 373 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 104 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 97 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 94 1
- two business from one premises 196 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 75 1
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 377 4
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 514
- corporate hierarchy 479
- Advice - 331
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 280
- WWOOFers 267
- The booking.com con 256
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 254
- Cocaine anyone? 237
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 231
- UK State pension paid in NZ 180