How does Research and Development Relief work with companies contracted by the MOD?
I've been looking at R & D relief in my tax studies as well as on HMRC and I have a client who wishes to make use of it if possible.
It's a small company that does research and development on various technologies to do with noise and vibrations with boats. For the most part from what I can tell, they meet the criteria for costs involved and trade, but I'm concerned with the criteria relating to subsidised research and subcontracting.
The director has told me that the company is been employed or contracted or something like that by the Ministry of Defence. Now this means that effectively I suspect that money would be received from them for the research. I do not know at this point whether the intellectual rights vest in the MOD or the company, but I believe it's the latter.
Can anyone advise me on what I should be looking out for when deciding whether this company has any chance of claiming R & D relief when working with the MOD?
- Accountancy Career 235 3
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,366 67
- pension paid by company? 187 4
- How not to compose an email 413 1
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 504 17
- MAAT vs ACCA 235 2
- Estate agents - shared commission 73 1
- Managing Employee Expenses 31 1
- Tax credit deadline extended by a week 79 1
- What are options for non CA firm 2,996 64
- Is it possible to run/own a UK based business, as a resident of Italy? 60 1
- Small company audit 640 11
- Do I need a smartphone? 493 20
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 568 14
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 689 19
- OVERDRAWN DIRECTORS LOAN ACCOUNT!! 247 3
- West Bromich Albion 418 3
- P11D with no S336 - Code Change ? 118 3
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 101 2
- registering my UK Ltd in Holland 225 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 655
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 430
- Cancelled 414
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 358
- Cancelled 355
- Probiz 322
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 306
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 232
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 209
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 173