How does Research and Development Relief work with companies contracted by the MOD?
I've been looking at R & D relief in my tax studies as well as on HMRC and I have a client who wishes to make use of it if possible.
It's a small company that does research and development on various technologies to do with noise and vibrations with boats. For the most part from what I can tell, they meet the criteria for costs involved and trade, but I'm concerned with the criteria relating to subsidised research and subcontracting.
The director has told me that the company is been employed or contracted or something like that by the Ministry of Defence. Now this means that effectively I suspect that money would be received from them for the research. I do not know at this point whether the intellectual rights vest in the MOD or the company, but I believe it's the latter.
Can anyone advise me on what I should be looking out for when deciding whether this company has any chance of claiming R & D relief when working with the MOD?
- Entrepreneurs Relief, and then new company 370 5
- Benefit in Kind 157 6
- SDLT 279 8
- Windows 10 anyone? 176 4
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 102 1
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 261 2
- Dutch Accountant 408 1
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 97 1
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 327 9
- FACTA form help with CRS definitions for SSAS 193 4
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 798 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,609 34
- Restricted interest relief 121 2
- Disengagement Help! 568 15
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 884 16
- Renewals on property rental business 93 1
- Not a question - just a POI 212 3
- MVL 96 2
- Bankstream 1,067 24
- Xerocon 2016 592 11