How does Research and Development Relief work with companies contracted by the MOD?
I've been looking at R & D relief in my tax studies as well as on HMRC and I have a client who wishes to make use of it if possible.
It's a small company that does research and development on various technologies to do with noise and vibrations with boats. For the most part from what I can tell, they meet the criteria for costs involved and trade, but I'm concerned with the criteria relating to subsidised research and subcontracting.
The director has told me that the company is been employed or contracted or something like that by the Ministry of Defence. Now this means that effectively I suspect that money would be received from them for the research. I do not know at this point whether the intellectual rights vest in the MOD or the company, but I believe it's the latter.
Can anyone advise me on what I should be looking out for when deciding whether this company has any chance of claiming R & D relief when working with the MOD?
- Business lending another business money (UK) 296 8
- Family Partnership 273 9
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 146 5
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 183 6
- Business trips - director and family 410 3
- Multiple for fee bank purchase 67 1
- Signed accounts for bank 655 15
- flat rate scheme 2,363 50
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 157 2
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 323 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 157 2
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 73 2
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 204 4
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 845 12
- Deferring dividends on paper 190 5
- VAT Query on new build 115 1
- How to format Co-operative Accounts 107 1
- P11D Car Value 269 6
- NOVA declaration 110 1
- Business valuation advice 711 18