How does Research and Development Relief work with companies contracted by the MOD?
I've been looking at R & D relief in my tax studies as well as on HMRC and I have a client who wishes to make use of it if possible.
It's a small company that does research and development on various technologies to do with noise and vibrations with boats. For the most part from what I can tell, they meet the criteria for costs involved and trade, but I'm concerned with the criteria relating to subsidised research and subcontracting.
The director has told me that the company is been employed or contracted or something like that by the Ministry of Defence. Now this means that effectively I suspect that money would be received from them for the research. I do not know at this point whether the intellectual rights vest in the MOD or the company, but I believe it's the latter.
Can anyone advise me on what I should be looking out for when deciding whether this company has any chance of claiming R & D relief when working with the MOD?
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 163 1
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 208 3
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 605 13
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 232 4
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 313 4
- Closing my business down 105 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 854 34
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 314 6
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 192 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 121 1
- Scams are not always obvious 2,243 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,472 21
- VAT flat rate scheme 119 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 296 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 93 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,099 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 419 6
- FPS or EPS 177 2
- Continuity of Practice 229 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 148 2
- Moving away from CCH software 956
- QROP pension input amounts 442
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 385
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 360
- fraud 288
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 262
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 230
- Construction CIS LLP Company 215
- EPS and CIS deductions 204
- Out of time or not? 183