How does Research and Development Relief work with companies contracted by the MOD?
I've been looking at R & D relief in my tax studies as well as on HMRC and I have a client who wishes to make use of it if possible.
It's a small company that does research and development on various technologies to do with noise and vibrations with boats. For the most part from what I can tell, they meet the criteria for costs involved and trade, but I'm concerned with the criteria relating to subsidised research and subcontracting.
The director has told me that the company is been employed or contracted or something like that by the Ministry of Defence. Now this means that effectively I suspect that money would be received from them for the research. I do not know at this point whether the intellectual rights vest in the MOD or the company, but I believe it's the latter.
Can anyone advise me on what I should be looking out for when deciding whether this company has any chance of claiming R & D relief when working with the MOD?
- Parent and subsidiary... 115 3
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,213 17
- Clothing 531 14
- Anybody still doing returns? 759 31
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 171 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 180 7
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 355 16
- Designated sole Residence 155 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 729 15
- Anyone know what this is? 268 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 911 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 534 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 276 9
- no utr 306 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,143 49
- Director drawings 611 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 299 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 93 1
- Capital Loss 140 3
- LLP formed in 2013 112 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 956
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 678
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 625
- Latest phishing scam 600
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 439
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 327
- Scratch Head 266
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 257
- Sabbatical payments 219
- Negligible Value Claim 198