How does Research and Development Relief work with companies contracted by the MOD?
I've been looking at R & D relief in my tax studies as well as on HMRC and I have a client who wishes to make use of it if possible.
It's a small company that does research and development on various technologies to do with noise and vibrations with boats. For the most part from what I can tell, they meet the criteria for costs involved and trade, but I'm concerned with the criteria relating to subsidised research and subcontracting.
The director has told me that the company is been employed or contracted or something like that by the Ministry of Defence. Now this means that effectively I suspect that money would be received from them for the research. I do not know at this point whether the intellectual rights vest in the MOD or the company, but I believe it's the latter.
Can anyone advise me on what I should be looking out for when deciding whether this company has any chance of claiming R & D relief when working with the MOD?
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,663 436
- Cash injection by shareholder 277 7
- Fees for Property Tax Return 116 3
- capital gains on PPR 148 7
- Separating business for VAT purposes 60 1
- 40% rule for travel expenses 343 9
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,238 62
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 328 6
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 263 8
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 410 20
- 100% Xero practice 2,399 43
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 347 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 290 8
- PRR 328 12
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 229 3
- corp tax software 386 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 459 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 485 7
- Which tax box 211 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 186 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,308
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 471
- National Insurance 365
- Non Resident 290
- Franchise income and costs 259
- Hands on experience of Digita 212
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 177
- Employer's Helpline 161
- employment capital allowances 156
- CIS paid under reg 9 149