How does Research and Development Relief work with companies contracted by the MOD?
I've been looking at R & D relief in my tax studies as well as on HMRC and I have a client who wishes to make use of it if possible.
It's a small company that does research and development on various technologies to do with noise and vibrations with boats. For the most part from what I can tell, they meet the criteria for costs involved and trade, but I'm concerned with the criteria relating to subsidised research and subcontracting.
The director has told me that the company is been employed or contracted or something like that by the Ministry of Defence. Now this means that effectively I suspect that money would be received from them for the research. I do not know at this point whether the intellectual rights vest in the MOD or the company, but I believe it's the latter.
Can anyone advise me on what I should be looking out for when deciding whether this company has any chance of claiming R & D relief when working with the MOD?
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 287 4
- Warranties - Fixed Assets - depreciation 52 1
- Accounting for software development costs 220 2
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,613 54
- Bereavment payment 322 4
- VAT invoice 148 4
- Fee protection 1,053 23
- indexation factors 67 2
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 131 3
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,572 13
- LLP Salaried Partners 121 1
- Payroll Software Recommendations 212 6
- Received a CIS invoice 208 4
- Anyone done ATT? 179 4
- claim fees with out without VAT? 125 2
- Vat on motor repairs 127 3
- saturday staff 337 3
- Free accounts system for small business? 243 5
- Property Revaluation - Postings 71 1
- Electronic v printed payslips 252 4
- Xtuple 575
- Qtac payroll for bureau 402
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 350
- Domain name sale and limited company 248
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 237
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 221
- Tax on damages received 200
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 194
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 160
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 158