How does Research and Development Relief work with companies contracted by the MOD?
I've been looking at R & D relief in my tax studies as well as on HMRC and I have a client who wishes to make use of it if possible.
It's a small company that does research and development on various technologies to do with noise and vibrations with boats. For the most part from what I can tell, they meet the criteria for costs involved and trade, but I'm concerned with the criteria relating to subsidised research and subcontracting.
The director has told me that the company is been employed or contracted or something like that by the Ministry of Defence. Now this means that effectively I suspect that money would be received from them for the research. I do not know at this point whether the intellectual rights vest in the MOD or the company, but I believe it's the latter.
Can anyone advise me on what I should be looking out for when deciding whether this company has any chance of claiming R & D relief when working with the MOD?
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 377 6
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 275 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 252 8
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 80 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,739 65
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 272 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 902 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 196 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 130 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 193 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 404 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 339 9
- Merging my businesses 161 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,728 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 519 16
- VAT on commercial property 166 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,056 49
- deceased creditor 218 5
- Corporate member of LLP 284 1
- Investment company 277 6
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 783
- RTI - duplicate employee record 543
- Pensions Regulator 445
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 406
- Sage Vat return box 2 310
- Sanzar 306
- Digital marketing focus group 291
- Portia ... Where art thou 281
- How do you do it 280
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 260