How does Research and Development Relief work with companies contracted by the MOD?
I've been looking at R & D relief in my tax studies as well as on HMRC and I have a client who wishes to make use of it if possible.
It's a small company that does research and development on various technologies to do with noise and vibrations with boats. For the most part from what I can tell, they meet the criteria for costs involved and trade, but I'm concerned with the criteria relating to subsidised research and subcontracting.
The director has told me that the company is been employed or contracted or something like that by the Ministry of Defence. Now this means that effectively I suspect that money would be received from them for the research. I do not know at this point whether the intellectual rights vest in the MOD or the company, but I believe it's the latter.
Can anyone advise me on what I should be looking out for when deciding whether this company has any chance of claiming R & D relief when working with the MOD?
- General tax book with planning 135 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,189 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 270 11
- Gift of property & improvements 105 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 331 5
- VAT Invoice 119 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 796 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 121 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 205 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 168 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 139 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 439 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 363 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 248 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 179 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 258 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 159 4
- SA302's anyone?? 531 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,643 41
- Renting for military reasons 192 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,620
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 901
- International interest certificate 509
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 292
- Management expenses for investment company 263
- Bonus Bonds 261
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 172
- tax on apprenticeship income 172
- P11D benefit received by widow 148