How does Research and Development Relief work with companies contracted by the MOD?
I've been looking at R & D relief in my tax studies as well as on HMRC and I have a client who wishes to make use of it if possible.
It's a small company that does research and development on various technologies to do with noise and vibrations with boats. For the most part from what I can tell, they meet the criteria for costs involved and trade, but I'm concerned with the criteria relating to subsidised research and subcontracting.
The director has told me that the company is been employed or contracted or something like that by the Ministry of Defence. Now this means that effectively I suspect that money would be received from them for the research. I do not know at this point whether the intellectual rights vest in the MOD or the company, but I believe it's the latter.
Can anyone advise me on what I should be looking out for when deciding whether this company has any chance of claiming R & D relief when working with the MOD?
- Coding Notice 137 3
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 102 2
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 419 7
- Vat 267 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,266 13
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 335 7
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 118 2
- Why should I retain membership? 2,692 46
- Recharge for private use of a company car 178 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 142 2
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,480 18
- CT/CIS offset 133 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 185 4
- Trade name 186 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 137 1
- New business - journal entries 315 20
- B2B vat in the EU 121 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 316 18
- VAT on deposits 209 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 140 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 806
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 710
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 390
- Social investment tax relief 208
- Digita Hosted Software 202
- Call Centre Data Costs 193
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 162
- Travel costs and contractors 152
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 147
- Certificates of tax deposit 139