How near do you think this is to falling within IR35?
I’d be interested in views as to how near (or far) the following might be from falling within IR35. By all means ask for further clarification if required.
- Do consultancy tasks (through a “service company”) for one client for several years providing skill and expertise that the client does not have.
- Not precluded from doing work for others (but have not done so in recent years).
- Company has been trading for over 20 years.
- No written contract.
- Tasks vary from as little as half-hour to several days often spread out over a few weeks. Note that it is not known at the outset that a particular task may take more than a day or so – it depends on the feedback from the client’s customers / potential customers.
- Overall, on a monthly basis, time spent can vary from a few hours to a number of days (rarely more than 4 or 5 days in a month, although on one occasion it went as high as 13 days).
- Work from home on own (no control or supervision) using own equipment.
- No ongoing mutuality of obligation, although it could be argued that once a task is started, it is anticipated that it will be seen through (e.g. similar to if one engaged a lawyer to deals with contracts for a customer – one would expect that he would see it through). But at no time is there an obligation to take on new tasks or for the client to provide new tasks.
- Within the demands of the tasks (e.g. timely replies), work is carried out whenever it suits.
- Theoretically, could be liable for consequences of poor / faulty work, both in terms of redoing at no additional fee or even for loss of profits etc. of the client. It might ever come to this in practice, but the potential is there.
- No benefits in kind – just fees billed quarterly at a daily rate.
- Substitution is not excluded, but then neither is it included (as said before, no written contract and it has never come up).
- Limited company buying director's car 79 5
- Scottish Independance 643 17
- Entrepeneurs relief 183 10
- How to complain about HMRC 1,284 15
- Dress code 1,387 31
- Historical figures for WTC 47 1
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 80 1
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 123 2
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 141 1
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 413 9
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,142 16
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 105 2
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 255 4
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 420 6
- WC's and capital allowances 101 1
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 254 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 881 10
- carry back of gift aid 125 2
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 139 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 402 17
- CTA study material 755
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 466
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 357
- Employment related securities question 300
- AIM Stocks and IHT 275
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 246
- Expat pension contributions? 245
- Trust for Employee 228
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 145
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 142