How near do you think this is to falling within IR35?
I’d be interested in views as to how near (or far) the following might be from falling within IR35. By all means ask for further clarification if required.
- Do consultancy tasks (through a “service company”) for one client for several years providing skill and expertise that the client does not have.
- Not precluded from doing work for others (but have not done so in recent years).
- Company has been trading for over 20 years.
- No written contract.
- Tasks vary from as little as half-hour to several days often spread out over a few weeks. Note that it is not known at the outset that a particular task may take more than a day or so – it depends on the feedback from the client’s customers / potential customers.
- Overall, on a monthly basis, time spent can vary from a few hours to a number of days (rarely more than 4 or 5 days in a month, although on one occasion it went as high as 13 days).
- Work from home on own (no control or supervision) using own equipment.
- No ongoing mutuality of obligation, although it could be argued that once a task is started, it is anticipated that it will be seen through (e.g. similar to if one engaged a lawyer to deals with contracts for a customer – one would expect that he would see it through). But at no time is there an obligation to take on new tasks or for the client to provide new tasks.
- Within the demands of the tasks (e.g. timely replies), work is carried out whenever it suits.
- Theoretically, could be liable for consequences of poor / faulty work, both in terms of redoing at no additional fee or even for loss of profits etc. of the client. It might ever come to this in practice, but the potential is there.
- No benefits in kind – just fees billed quarterly at a daily rate.
- Substitution is not excluded, but then neither is it included (as said before, no written contract and it has never come up).
- iris update 11.9.2 372 6
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 529 18
- Tax Planning for Family and Owner-Managed Companies 2015/16 537 8
- Sports Sponsorship 217 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 347 7
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 108 2
- Paid too much !! 403 3
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 232 2
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 127 3
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 244 1
- will this work for IHT 268 2
- Best software for small practice? 677 20
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,769 39
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 339 7
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 282 5
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 161 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 130 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 138 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 487 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 757 11
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 771
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 456
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 276
- DTA tie-breaker issue 264
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 251
- CGT for NOn UK residents 226
- Apprenticeship Levy 203
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 195
- Capital Gains personal representatives 184
- Just checking re PSA 178