How near do you think this is to falling within IR35?
I’d be interested in views as to how near (or far) the following might be from falling within IR35. By all means ask for further clarification if required.
- Do consultancy tasks (through a “service company”) for one client for several years providing skill and expertise that the client does not have.
- Not precluded from doing work for others (but have not done so in recent years).
- Company has been trading for over 20 years.
- No written contract.
- Tasks vary from as little as half-hour to several days often spread out over a few weeks. Note that it is not known at the outset that a particular task may take more than a day or so – it depends on the feedback from the client’s customers / potential customers.
- Overall, on a monthly basis, time spent can vary from a few hours to a number of days (rarely more than 4 or 5 days in a month, although on one occasion it went as high as 13 days).
- Work from home on own (no control or supervision) using own equipment.
- No ongoing mutuality of obligation, although it could be argued that once a task is started, it is anticipated that it will be seen through (e.g. similar to if one engaged a lawyer to deals with contracts for a customer – one would expect that he would see it through). But at no time is there an obligation to take on new tasks or for the client to provide new tasks.
- Within the demands of the tasks (e.g. timely replies), work is carried out whenever it suits.
- Theoretically, could be liable for consequences of poor / faulty work, both in terms of redoing at no additional fee or even for loss of profits etc. of the client. It might ever come to this in practice, but the potential is there.
- No benefits in kind – just fees billed quarterly at a daily rate.
- Substitution is not excluded, but then neither is it included (as said before, no written contract and it has never come up).
- *Urgent pls advise * filing dormant accounts to Companies House 245 14
- Website development costs - tax and accounting treatment 159 2
- MAAT signing off ACCA PER? 221 2
- Amazon - digital book sales 157 1
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 327 11
- tax insider 269 4
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 405 13
- Auto-Enrolment 171 3
- Annual subs 142 2
- Statement of Earnings, no P45 132 2
- Expenses paid by director (the owner) 163 2
- Mileage and Self Assessment 136 1
- ICAEW professional subscription and tax implications 189 4
- CGT Relief on Share Sale in LTD company 317 5
- Problems filing paper copies of accounts / computations with HMRC 485 9
- Payroll Manager not reoprting properly 302 7
- Directors remuneration declared after year end PAYE/NIC 596 25
- Advice please on best way forward 418 6
- I received penalty as I didn't submit full payment submission (fps), how to correct it? 319 2
- Related party loan write-off - justification for treatment 363 7
- Skandia using wrong address 1,403
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 719
- Any views 657
- HMRC Employers Diary 490
- International interest certificate 408
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 363
- Sale of business 307
- NOVA 221
- IR35 & Managed Service Companies 216
- Advertising services? 214