How near do you think this is to falling within IR35?
I’d be interested in views as to how near (or far) the following might be from falling within IR35. By all means ask for further clarification if required.
- Do consultancy tasks (through a “service company”) for one client for several years providing skill and expertise that the client does not have.
- Not precluded from doing work for others (but have not done so in recent years).
- Company has been trading for over 20 years.
- No written contract.
- Tasks vary from as little as half-hour to several days often spread out over a few weeks. Note that it is not known at the outset that a particular task may take more than a day or so – it depends on the feedback from the client’s customers / potential customers.
- Overall, on a monthly basis, time spent can vary from a few hours to a number of days (rarely more than 4 or 5 days in a month, although on one occasion it went as high as 13 days).
- Work from home on own (no control or supervision) using own equipment.
- No ongoing mutuality of obligation, although it could be argued that once a task is started, it is anticipated that it will be seen through (e.g. similar to if one engaged a lawyer to deals with contracts for a customer – one would expect that he would see it through). But at no time is there an obligation to take on new tasks or for the client to provide new tasks.
- Within the demands of the tasks (e.g. timely replies), work is carried out whenever it suits.
- Theoretically, could be liable for consequences of poor / faulty work, both in terms of redoing at no additional fee or even for loss of profits etc. of the client. It might ever come to this in practice, but the potential is there.
- No benefits in kind – just fees billed quarterly at a daily rate.
- Substitution is not excluded, but then neither is it included (as said before, no written contract and it has never come up).
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,263 11
- The importance of Grammar 1,326 40
- Xero Pain Points 549 18
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 132 2
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 201 5
- Best way to draw a salary? 700 12
- PI cover 242 4
- VAT and customer entertaining 218 2
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 949 15
- VAT - How hard is it? 737 26
- Profit split from an investment property 180 6
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,432 39
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 163 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 278 6
- tax saving on card points 246 6
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 267 9
- Scissors 895 24
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 442 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 463 10
- Directors exempt from AE? 271 6
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 373
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 329
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 308
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 298
- Electric Car 250
- S222 Charge 218
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 215
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 201
- Company Structure 197
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 174