How near do you think this is to falling within IR35?
I’d be interested in views as to how near (or far) the following might be from falling within IR35. By all means ask for further clarification if required.
- Do consultancy tasks (through a “service company”) for one client for several years providing skill and expertise that the client does not have.
- Not precluded from doing work for others (but have not done so in recent years).
- Company has been trading for over 20 years.
- No written contract.
- Tasks vary from as little as half-hour to several days often spread out over a few weeks. Note that it is not known at the outset that a particular task may take more than a day or so – it depends on the feedback from the client’s customers / potential customers.
- Overall, on a monthly basis, time spent can vary from a few hours to a number of days (rarely more than 4 or 5 days in a month, although on one occasion it went as high as 13 days).
- Work from home on own (no control or supervision) using own equipment.
- No ongoing mutuality of obligation, although it could be argued that once a task is started, it is anticipated that it will be seen through (e.g. similar to if one engaged a lawyer to deals with contracts for a customer – one would expect that he would see it through). But at no time is there an obligation to take on new tasks or for the client to provide new tasks.
- Within the demands of the tasks (e.g. timely replies), work is carried out whenever it suits.
- Theoretically, could be liable for consequences of poor / faulty work, both in terms of redoing at no additional fee or even for loss of profits etc. of the client. It might ever come to this in practice, but the potential is there.
- No benefits in kind – just fees billed quarterly at a daily rate.
- Substitution is not excluded, but then neither is it included (as said before, no written contract and it has never come up).
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 169 1
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,430 39
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 68 2
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 220 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,221 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 351 6
- Go Cardless 373 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 314 3
- Mehjoo 328 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 120 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 380 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 191 4
- SA302 334 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 289 13
- Bringing money to Uk 289 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 215 4
- Hmrc software 252 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 180 1
- Hosted email exchange 188 5
- South African Government Pension 184 1
- Xtuple 515
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 234
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 208
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 206
- Domain name sale and limited company 180
- CIS schemes 176
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 151