How near do you think this is to falling within IR35?
I’d be interested in views as to how near (or far) the following might be from falling within IR35. By all means ask for further clarification if required.
- Do consultancy tasks (through a “service company”) for one client for several years providing skill and expertise that the client does not have.
- Not precluded from doing work for others (but have not done so in recent years).
- Company has been trading for over 20 years.
- No written contract.
- Tasks vary from as little as half-hour to several days often spread out over a few weeks. Note that it is not known at the outset that a particular task may take more than a day or so – it depends on the feedback from the client’s customers / potential customers.
- Overall, on a monthly basis, time spent can vary from a few hours to a number of days (rarely more than 4 or 5 days in a month, although on one occasion it went as high as 13 days).
- Work from home on own (no control or supervision) using own equipment.
- No ongoing mutuality of obligation, although it could be argued that once a task is started, it is anticipated that it will be seen through (e.g. similar to if one engaged a lawyer to deals with contracts for a customer – one would expect that he would see it through). But at no time is there an obligation to take on new tasks or for the client to provide new tasks.
- Within the demands of the tasks (e.g. timely replies), work is carried out whenever it suits.
- Theoretically, could be liable for consequences of poor / faulty work, both in terms of redoing at no additional fee or even for loss of profits etc. of the client. It might ever come to this in practice, but the potential is there.
- No benefits in kind – just fees billed quarterly at a daily rate.
- Substitution is not excluded, but then neither is it included (as said before, no written contract and it has never come up).
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 944 29
- You know its over 327 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 483 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 212 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 165 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 153 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 233 3
- Cocaine anyone? 502 8
- Late Registration for VAT 481 13
- EIS/SEIS 136 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 272 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 410 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 418 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 710 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 551 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 586 4
- Personal pension 399 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 221 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,214 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 168 3
- Hive up 490
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 454
- corporate hierarchy 435
- Advice - 271
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 224
- WWOOFers 217
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 206
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 199
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 175
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 173