How near do you think this is to falling within IR35?
I’d be interested in views as to how near (or far) the following might be from falling within IR35. By all means ask for further clarification if required.
- Do consultancy tasks (through a “service company”) for one client for several years providing skill and expertise that the client does not have.
- Not precluded from doing work for others (but have not done so in recent years).
- Company has been trading for over 20 years.
- No written contract.
- Tasks vary from as little as half-hour to several days often spread out over a few weeks. Note that it is not known at the outset that a particular task may take more than a day or so – it depends on the feedback from the client’s customers / potential customers.
- Overall, on a monthly basis, time spent can vary from a few hours to a number of days (rarely more than 4 or 5 days in a month, although on one occasion it went as high as 13 days).
- Work from home on own (no control or supervision) using own equipment.
- No ongoing mutuality of obligation, although it could be argued that once a task is started, it is anticipated that it will be seen through (e.g. similar to if one engaged a lawyer to deals with contracts for a customer – one would expect that he would see it through). But at no time is there an obligation to take on new tasks or for the client to provide new tasks.
- Within the demands of the tasks (e.g. timely replies), work is carried out whenever it suits.
- Theoretically, could be liable for consequences of poor / faulty work, both in terms of redoing at no additional fee or even for loss of profits etc. of the client. It might ever come to this in practice, but the potential is there.
- No benefits in kind – just fees billed quarterly at a daily rate.
- Substitution is not excluded, but then neither is it included (as said before, no written contract and it has never come up).
- Form VAT 600 FRS 76 1
- VAT Office Grimsby 176 3
- Community awards 2014 - first category 137 5
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 66 1
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 434 12
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 141 2
- Can you help me spot errors? 298 3
- Payment plans for clients 266 3
- CT600 248 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 312 16
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 82 1
- Lease 133 4
- Free invoicing software 496 4
- Digita Hosted Software 395 4
- signature required 877 31
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,316 21
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 180 5
- Thin Client recomendation 228 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 191 5
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 119 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,303
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 850
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 544
- Credit where credit's due....... 334
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 260
- TheTax Donut 226
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 186
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 174
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 155
- Director's business mileage 145