How near do you think this is to falling within IR35?
I’d be interested in views as to how near (or far) the following might be from falling within IR35. By all means ask for further clarification if required.
- Do consultancy tasks (through a “service company”) for one client for several years providing skill and expertise that the client does not have.
- Not precluded from doing work for others (but have not done so in recent years).
- Company has been trading for over 20 years.
- No written contract.
- Tasks vary from as little as half-hour to several days often spread out over a few weeks. Note that it is not known at the outset that a particular task may take more than a day or so – it depends on the feedback from the client’s customers / potential customers.
- Overall, on a monthly basis, time spent can vary from a few hours to a number of days (rarely more than 4 or 5 days in a month, although on one occasion it went as high as 13 days).
- Work from home on own (no control or supervision) using own equipment.
- No ongoing mutuality of obligation, although it could be argued that once a task is started, it is anticipated that it will be seen through (e.g. similar to if one engaged a lawyer to deals with contracts for a customer – one would expect that he would see it through). But at no time is there an obligation to take on new tasks or for the client to provide new tasks.
- Within the demands of the tasks (e.g. timely replies), work is carried out whenever it suits.
- Theoretically, could be liable for consequences of poor / faulty work, both in terms of redoing at no additional fee or even for loss of profits etc. of the client. It might ever come to this in practice, but the potential is there.
- No benefits in kind – just fees billed quarterly at a daily rate.
- Substitution is not excluded, but then neither is it included (as said before, no written contract and it has never come up).
- Cash basis 677 23
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 381 19
- Non resident capital gains 41 1
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 376 12
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,885 28
- s455 Directors loan 82 1
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 329 1
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 506 6
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 127 2
- payroll software 482 9
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 298 8
- Fee base v staff ratio 553 7
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 282 13
- Posting pension salary sacrifice journal 92 1
- Complicated Company car purchase 281 3
- Statutory sick pay 389 5
- client threatening legal action 2,211 30
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 170 2
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 234 1
- Instant CPD offer 342 3
- Skandia using wrong address 592
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 323
- Employee rewards 300
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 266
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 236
- Etax Australian 197
- LLP in Construction Industry 159
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 140
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 137
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 125