How near do you think this is to falling within IR35?
I’d be interested in views as to how near (or far) the following might be from falling within IR35. By all means ask for further clarification if required.
- Do consultancy tasks (through a “service company”) for one client for several years providing skill and expertise that the client does not have.
- Not precluded from doing work for others (but have not done so in recent years).
- Company has been trading for over 20 years.
- No written contract.
- Tasks vary from as little as half-hour to several days often spread out over a few weeks. Note that it is not known at the outset that a particular task may take more than a day or so – it depends on the feedback from the client’s customers / potential customers.
- Overall, on a monthly basis, time spent can vary from a few hours to a number of days (rarely more than 4 or 5 days in a month, although on one occasion it went as high as 13 days).
- Work from home on own (no control or supervision) using own equipment.
- No ongoing mutuality of obligation, although it could be argued that once a task is started, it is anticipated that it will be seen through (e.g. similar to if one engaged a lawyer to deals with contracts for a customer – one would expect that he would see it through). But at no time is there an obligation to take on new tasks or for the client to provide new tasks.
- Within the demands of the tasks (e.g. timely replies), work is carried out whenever it suits.
- Theoretically, could be liable for consequences of poor / faulty work, both in terms of redoing at no additional fee or even for loss of profits etc. of the client. It might ever come to this in practice, but the potential is there.
- No benefits in kind – just fees billed quarterly at a daily rate.
- Substitution is not excluded, but then neither is it included (as said before, no written contract and it has never come up).
- Foster Care 17 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 325 5
- letter of reference 122 1
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 44 1
- are we that stupid 837 18
- Self Assessment penalties again 268 3
- Flat Management Company 188 1
- Share structure questions - close company 166 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 158 4
- Income prior to company formation 336 9
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 719 12
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 305 5
- Forbes Computer Systems - Practice Management (CRM) 116 1
- Can I sell my own equipment to my business? 523 5
- Practice software 1,417 20
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 360 1
- Company leaving VAT group 167 4
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 610 18
- Staff training 1,548 13
- Goodwill on incorporation 273 2
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 327
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 286
- French ConnectionUK 266
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 245
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 215
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 213
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 150
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 147
- Indian Provident Fund 146
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 146