How to recover lost e-mail file
The OS for this was Windows XP Pro with network profile settings.
One of our operators had a bit of a fright when their 8 hours of work on a workbook was, quote "not where I left it yesterday"
Having been sent an excel workbook via e-mail the op had been modifying changing adding and generally doing a whole days work in the workbook. Sure enough, they had been following the adage of 'save, save, save' but unfortunately for them they had not saved the file locally or on network drives.
On completing their task for the day the op had closed the excel file and selected Save, but when they went to close the e-mail in which the workbook arrived, when prompted to save changes to the message they selected No.
Hence the following day the email excel workbook was back to original content. Alar bells and headless chickens spring to mind.
For anyone having experienced similar problem, you may want to try this:
in the users profile (we'll call this user 'myname' for now) on the local c: drive locate
"C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"
If you cannot see that folder you may want to use Tools>Folder Options>View>Show Hidden files and folders or alternatively type the address in yourself in the windows explorer address bar
Depending on your internet policies you may see lots and lots of internet files cached from your last browsing experiences.
In the address bar add the folder "\content.outlook"
You may then see 1 or many folders with names such as 5TRE9IQ4 or other such strange alph-numeric combinations
Explore each folder in turn and you could well find the missing saved excel file (amongst lots of other word files and the like which have been opened in outlook)
Just thought I'd share that as Christmas cheer has now overtaken the errant operator who is now cock-a-hoop at having not to do the whole workbook again.
- can I claim a per diem 195 4
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 762 18
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 125 3
- Linux Accounting Software 547 13
- Dispensation pointless ? 497 13
- RTI due -no broadband 97 1
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 457 12
- Shareholders selling shares to shareholders, how to account for it? 68 1
- Is Hold over relief available? 96 4
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 251 7
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 864 10
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,194 27
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 458 14
- Running Cost of Private Car more than 45p per mile?? 381 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 222 5
- Ltd co client preparing own self assessment tax returns 410 8
- Business Christmas Greetings 861 17
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 493 11
- SME Direct Debit 736 12
- Aweb Fantasy Practice 1,121 18
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 814
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 497
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 314
- How to format a stock book 278
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 223
- Tax efficient holding company structure 217
- Investment property company accounts template 212
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 207
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 176