I thought there was no amnesty for the non taxpaying
To my astonishment, I have just discovered that (subject to a handful of conditions) a person operating in the "informal economy" can re-enter the taxpayers' club by dialing 0845 608 6000 and coming clean.
If less than £2000 in tax is due, this will be waived if HMRC have no record of the person.
The limit may be over £2000. The HMRC man that I sopke to was not keen to give me a figure, but he confirmed that £2000 was okay.
For more detail, search the HMRC website for 0845 608 6000 (the Tax and Benefits Confidential helpline).
I was astonished because I understood that no amnesty had ever been offered.
Grumpy Old Wit
- Limited company buying a car 334 6
- Funding Circle experience 124 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 220 10
- Excel query 72 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,253 13
- Payment on account penalties 94 3
- Tax on free shares 121 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 192 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 117 1
- Audit 475 14
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 396 8
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 118 3
- Buying a horse?? 410 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 188 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 763 21
- PITA ex-client 252 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 247 6
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 361 9
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 326 5
- How to complain about HMRC 1,668 19
- CTA study material 802
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 492
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 457
- Employment related securities question 320
- AIM Stocks and IHT 307
- Expat pension contributions? 280
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 276
- Trust for Employee 255
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 225
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 158