I thought there was no amnesty for the non taxpaying
To my astonishment, I have just discovered that (subject to a handful of conditions) a person operating in the "informal economy" can re-enter the taxpayers' club by dialing 0845 608 6000 and coming clean.
If less than £2000 in tax is due, this will be waived if HMRC have no record of the person.
The limit may be over £2000. The HMRC man that I sopke to was not keen to give me a figure, but he confirmed that £2000 was okay.
For more detail, search the HMRC website for 0845 608 6000 (the Tax and Benefits Confidential helpline).
I was astonished because I understood that no amnesty had ever been offered.
Grumpy Old Wit
- Closing my business down 72 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 842 34
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 274 6
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 271 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 191 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 100 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 587 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,240 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,466 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 189 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 104 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 289 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 87 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,092 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 412 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 151 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 222 3
- FPS or EPS 169 2
- Continuity of Practice 220 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 144 2
- Moving away from CCH software 953
- QROP pension input amounts 440
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 382
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 357
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 325
- fraud 284
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 259
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 228
- Construction CIS LLP Company 212
- EPS and CIS deductions 200