Is this income splitting?
Client has approcahed me who is a sole trader selling his own services as a go-kart trainer to individuals as well as selling go-kart spares and stock to individuals and companies.
His business turnover has now reached the VAT threshold and is conscious of the effect that a 20% increase will have on his business in relation to the training income as his customers are mainly individuals.
So he has come up with the idea of splitting his business into a sole trader side which sells training and a Ltd Company which sells stock and spares.
I have mentioned to him that income splitting to avoid registering for VAT isnt allowable but I am equally unsure as to whether the 2 businesses are so distinct as to be 2 seperate entities in the manner in which they trade that income splitting wouldnt be an issue here.
Can anyone advise?
- Self-assessment statistics 2,465 59
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 202 5
- Transmission of ISA 47 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 173 2
- Next Move 710 20
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 170 2
- Not renewing AAT 671 9
- CGT of shares gifted 380 6
- New dividend taxation 487 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,795 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 150 1
- Company car v company allowance 276 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 437 9
- Company formation and bank account 431 9
- Owning overseas property 338 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 290 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 271 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 710 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 722 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 275 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 667
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 409
- Property letting & CAs 398
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 395
- 2015 tax year end 395
- FCA regulated company in a small group 347
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 320
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 241
- DTA tie-breaker issue 211
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 204