Incorporations and existing contracts
One of my clients wishes to convert their husband and wife partnership to a limited company. The husband is the main fee earner and his wife does a bit of admin work. Being an estate agent and property consultant, most of his fees only materialise when contracts are exchanged.
When the business is incorporated there are likely to be a few ongoing contracts. As the fee income cannot be recognised until contracts are exchanged there is no accrued income to go in the cessation accounts, even if most of the work has been done, as the fee would not be payable if the sale falls through. Therefore, it forms part of the goodwill valuation and is not part of the net assets acquired.
My query is whether you can time the incorporation to take advantage of this so you can maximise the value of the goodwill for pending contracts. Would that be seen as an arrangement substantially to avoid tax or would it get by on the basis that the incorporation itself is for commercial reasons? I wouldn't have thought HMRC could interfere with timings.
The advantage of course is that the partners only pay 10% CGT with entrepreneurs relief. The company would pay 20% corporation tax when the fees become payable but can offset that with tax relief on the amortisation. True, there is a cash flow effect as we would only amortise over 4-5 years, and we would have to do some sort of risk analysis on the value of the prospective fees and discount them accordingly, but the partners would still be saving a fair bit in tax, plus class 4 NI of course.
Can anyone see any pitfalls here? Being an estate agent he's familiar with the concept of huge fees for doing very little work, so I'm hopeful of a fat fee here! I quoted him 12.5% of the tax savings on the incorporation (excluding the ongoing ones you would get through a company anyway). Good advice from that book advertised on AW by Steve Pipe: Practical Pricing for Accountants. Well worth a read.
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 74 1
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,261 19
- Scanners 170 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 85 1
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 160 5
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 232 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 402 9
- Payment plans for clients 122 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 229 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 246 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 390 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 448 9
- P60 or payslips? 97 1
- Property income in different capacities 108 1
- IHT dilemma 1,383 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 192 1
- IT advisory questions? 179 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 796 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 148 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 529 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,160
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 798
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 488
- Digita Hosted Software 320
- Credit where credit's due....... 273
- Director phone costs 237
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 227
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 202
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 155
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 139