Incorporations and existing contracts
One of my clients wishes to convert their husband and wife partnership to a limited company. The husband is the main fee earner and his wife does a bit of admin work. Being an estate agent and property consultant, most of his fees only materialise when contracts are exchanged.
When the business is incorporated there are likely to be a few ongoing contracts. As the fee income cannot be recognised until contracts are exchanged there is no accrued income to go in the cessation accounts, even if most of the work has been done, as the fee would not be payable if the sale falls through. Therefore, it forms part of the goodwill valuation and is not part of the net assets acquired.
My query is whether you can time the incorporation to take advantage of this so you can maximise the value of the goodwill for pending contracts. Would that be seen as an arrangement substantially to avoid tax or would it get by on the basis that the incorporation itself is for commercial reasons? I wouldn't have thought HMRC could interfere with timings.
The advantage of course is that the partners only pay 10% CGT with entrepreneurs relief. The company would pay 20% corporation tax when the fees become payable but can offset that with tax relief on the amortisation. True, there is a cash flow effect as we would only amortise over 4-5 years, and we would have to do some sort of risk analysis on the value of the prospective fees and discount them accordingly, but the partners would still be saving a fair bit in tax, plus class 4 NI of course.
Can anyone see any pitfalls here? Being an estate agent he's familiar with the concept of huge fees for doing very little work, so I'm hopeful of a fat fee here! I quoted him 12.5% of the tax savings on the incorporation (excluding the ongoing ones you would get through a company anyway). Good advice from that book advertised on AW by Steve Pipe: Practical Pricing for Accountants. Well worth a read.
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 148 3
- Accountant software 415 11
- Accounting jobs in the UK 145 2
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 231 1
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 200 4
- CIS gross status review 93 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 126 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 355 6
- Flat rate vat error 244 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 137 5
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 145 2
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 88 1
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 148 4
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 364 8
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 623 17
- Dispensation pointless ? 270 4
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 611 11
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 204 4
- Charge out rates in London? 217 2
- Negative retained earnings & Dividends 186 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 756
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 484
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 299
- How to format a stock book 265
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 213
- Tax efficient holding company structure 203
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 196
- Investment property company accounts template 191
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 172
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 161