Incorporations and existing contracts
One of my clients wishes to convert their husband and wife partnership to a limited company. The husband is the main fee earner and his wife does a bit of admin work. Being an estate agent and property consultant, most of his fees only materialise when contracts are exchanged.
When the business is incorporated there are likely to be a few ongoing contracts. As the fee income cannot be recognised until contracts are exchanged there is no accrued income to go in the cessation accounts, even if most of the work has been done, as the fee would not be payable if the sale falls through. Therefore, it forms part of the goodwill valuation and is not part of the net assets acquired.
My query is whether you can time the incorporation to take advantage of this so you can maximise the value of the goodwill for pending contracts. Would that be seen as an arrangement substantially to avoid tax or would it get by on the basis that the incorporation itself is for commercial reasons? I wouldn't have thought HMRC could interfere with timings.
The advantage of course is that the partners only pay 10% CGT with entrepreneurs relief. The company would pay 20% corporation tax when the fees become payable but can offset that with tax relief on the amortisation. True, there is a cash flow effect as we would only amortise over 4-5 years, and we would have to do some sort of risk analysis on the value of the prospective fees and discount them accordingly, but the partners would still be saving a fair bit in tax, plus class 4 NI of course.
Can anyone see any pitfalls here? Being an estate agent he's familiar with the concept of huge fees for doing very little work, so I'm hopeful of a fat fee here! I quoted him 12.5% of the tax savings on the incorporation (excluding the ongoing ones you would get through a company anyway). Good advice from that book advertised on AW by Steve Pipe: Practical Pricing for Accountants. Well worth a read.
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 202 2
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 153 2
- Gift or Capital Gain? 255 7
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 48 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 777 32
- Classic cars investment 214 6
- BrightPay 571 16
- VAT silly question 2,377 56
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 1,076 10
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 133 2
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 254 5
- Federation Accounts 359 10
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 540 8
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 287 5
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 156 2
- Late reply from HMRC 259 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 287 6
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 2,671 34
- How long to prepare monthly management accounts 1,426 22
- Xero - am I missing something? 2,798 43
- Benchmarking 487
- Possible Partnership? 428
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 406
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 406
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 346
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 205
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 202
- Clubs and Taxable Income 186
- Income tax on foreign dividends 186
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 182