Incorporations and existing contracts
One of my clients wishes to convert their husband and wife partnership to a limited company. The husband is the main fee earner and his wife does a bit of admin work. Being an estate agent and property consultant, most of his fees only materialise when contracts are exchanged.
When the business is incorporated there are likely to be a few ongoing contracts. As the fee income cannot be recognised until contracts are exchanged there is no accrued income to go in the cessation accounts, even if most of the work has been done, as the fee would not be payable if the sale falls through. Therefore, it forms part of the goodwill valuation and is not part of the net assets acquired.
My query is whether you can time the incorporation to take advantage of this so you can maximise the value of the goodwill for pending contracts. Would that be seen as an arrangement substantially to avoid tax or would it get by on the basis that the incorporation itself is for commercial reasons? I wouldn't have thought HMRC could interfere with timings.
The advantage of course is that the partners only pay 10% CGT with entrepreneurs relief. The company would pay 20% corporation tax when the fees become payable but can offset that with tax relief on the amortisation. True, there is a cash flow effect as we would only amortise over 4-5 years, and we would have to do some sort of risk analysis on the value of the prospective fees and discount them accordingly, but the partners would still be saving a fair bit in tax, plus class 4 NI of course.
Can anyone see any pitfalls here? Being an estate agent he's familiar with the concept of huge fees for doing very little work, so I'm hopeful of a fat fee here! I quoted him 12.5% of the tax savings on the incorporation (excluding the ongoing ones you would get through a company anyway). Good advice from that book advertised on AW by Steve Pipe: Practical Pricing for Accountants. Well worth a read.
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 185 3
- Money Laundering Manual 233 10
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 324 8
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 718 24
- VAT with Russia 46 1
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,011 28
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 161 2
- Worst corporate entertaining events? 1,105 9
- CGT on Let Property 213 4
- Business only use of company car 562 22
- valuation of vehicles 278 14
- Director registration for SA question 141 8
- New Company reviews please 403 10
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 130 1
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 427 7
- directors loan 173 5
- RTI Mess 498 9
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 351 13
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 357 3
- CIS not deducted 264 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 273
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 234
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 230
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 207
- Any thoughts on Capium? 186
- Expenses Software 185
- cgt quoted shares losses 175
- auto enrolment 170
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 168
- Car Capital Contribution 153