Incorporations and existing contracts
One of my clients wishes to convert their husband and wife partnership to a limited company. The husband is the main fee earner and his wife does a bit of admin work. Being an estate agent and property consultant, most of his fees only materialise when contracts are exchanged.
When the business is incorporated there are likely to be a few ongoing contracts. As the fee income cannot be recognised until contracts are exchanged there is no accrued income to go in the cessation accounts, even if most of the work has been done, as the fee would not be payable if the sale falls through. Therefore, it forms part of the goodwill valuation and is not part of the net assets acquired.
My query is whether you can time the incorporation to take advantage of this so you can maximise the value of the goodwill for pending contracts. Would that be seen as an arrangement substantially to avoid tax or would it get by on the basis that the incorporation itself is for commercial reasons? I wouldn't have thought HMRC could interfere with timings.
The advantage of course is that the partners only pay 10% CGT with entrepreneurs relief. The company would pay 20% corporation tax when the fees become payable but can offset that with tax relief on the amortisation. True, there is a cash flow effect as we would only amortise over 4-5 years, and we would have to do some sort of risk analysis on the value of the prospective fees and discount them accordingly, but the partners would still be saving a fair bit in tax, plus class 4 NI of course.
Can anyone see any pitfalls here? Being an estate agent he's familiar with the concept of huge fees for doing very little work, so I'm hopeful of a fat fee here! I quoted him 12.5% of the tax savings on the incorporation (excluding the ongoing ones you would get through a company anyway). Good advice from that book advertised on AW by Steve Pipe: Practical Pricing for Accountants. Well worth a read.
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 422 14
- *Urgent pls advise * filing dormant accounts to Companies House 348 16
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 399 13
- Who can wind up a Promissory Trust? 60 1
- Website development costs - tax and accounting treatment 188 2
- MAAT signing off ACCA PER? 273 2
- Amazon - digital book sales 182 1
- tax insider 295 4
- Auto-Enrolment 201 3
- Annual subs 166 2
- Statement of Earnings, no P45 151 2
- Expenses paid by director (the owner) 185 2
- Mileage and Self Assessment 158 1
- ICAEW professional subscription and tax implications 224 4
- CGT Relief on Share Sale in LTD company 334 5
- Problems filing paper copies of accounts / computations with HMRC 498 9
- Payroll Manager not reoprting properly 319 7
- Directors remuneration declared after year end PAYE/NIC 608 25
- Advice please on best way forward 446 6
- I received penalty as I didn't submit full payment submission (fps), how to correct it? 353 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,410
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 721
- Any views 660
- HMRC Employers Diary 493
- International interest certificate 410
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 367
- Sale of business 314
- NOVA 224
- IR35 & Managed Service Companies 220
- Advertising services? 217