Incorporations and existing contracts
One of my clients wishes to convert their husband and wife partnership to a limited company. The husband is the main fee earner and his wife does a bit of admin work. Being an estate agent and property consultant, most of his fees only materialise when contracts are exchanged.
When the business is incorporated there are likely to be a few ongoing contracts. As the fee income cannot be recognised until contracts are exchanged there is no accrued income to go in the cessation accounts, even if most of the work has been done, as the fee would not be payable if the sale falls through. Therefore, it forms part of the goodwill valuation and is not part of the net assets acquired.
My query is whether you can time the incorporation to take advantage of this so you can maximise the value of the goodwill for pending contracts. Would that be seen as an arrangement substantially to avoid tax or would it get by on the basis that the incorporation itself is for commercial reasons? I wouldn't have thought HMRC could interfere with timings.
The advantage of course is that the partners only pay 10% CGT with entrepreneurs relief. The company would pay 20% corporation tax when the fees become payable but can offset that with tax relief on the amortisation. True, there is a cash flow effect as we would only amortise over 4-5 years, and we would have to do some sort of risk analysis on the value of the prospective fees and discount them accordingly, but the partners would still be saving a fair bit in tax, plus class 4 NI of course.
Can anyone see any pitfalls here? Being an estate agent he's familiar with the concept of huge fees for doing very little work, so I'm hopeful of a fat fee here! I quoted him 12.5% of the tax savings on the incorporation (excluding the ongoing ones you would get through a company anyway). Good advice from that book advertised on AW by Steve Pipe: Practical Pricing for Accountants. Well worth a read.
- Account and Taxable Profit 183 11
- Accounting for corporation tax 92 4
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 227 7
- Community Faux Pas 898 26
- Cash gift from India 59 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,292 40
- Windows10 123 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 606 24
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,669 36
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 305 6
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 458 25
- Class 2 NIC 194 3
- A thursday afternoon muse 186 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 372 6
- Probate services 404 8
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 863 5
- Unusual marketing methods for accountants 778 14
- An IT question 277 6
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 325 9
- SDLT 341 9
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 835
- Benchmark accounting software 691
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 326
- Oplex Careers CPD 321
- What are HMRC implying? 294
- VAT 257
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 244
- Payroll manager and the cloud 215
- Is the APN valid 196