Incorporations and existing contracts
One of my clients wishes to convert their husband and wife partnership to a limited company. The husband is the main fee earner and his wife does a bit of admin work. Being an estate agent and property consultant, most of his fees only materialise when contracts are exchanged.
When the business is incorporated there are likely to be a few ongoing contracts. As the fee income cannot be recognised until contracts are exchanged there is no accrued income to go in the cessation accounts, even if most of the work has been done, as the fee would not be payable if the sale falls through. Therefore, it forms part of the goodwill valuation and is not part of the net assets acquired.
My query is whether you can time the incorporation to take advantage of this so you can maximise the value of the goodwill for pending contracts. Would that be seen as an arrangement substantially to avoid tax or would it get by on the basis that the incorporation itself is for commercial reasons? I wouldn't have thought HMRC could interfere with timings.
The advantage of course is that the partners only pay 10% CGT with entrepreneurs relief. The company would pay 20% corporation tax when the fees become payable but can offset that with tax relief on the amortisation. True, there is a cash flow effect as we would only amortise over 4-5 years, and we would have to do some sort of risk analysis on the value of the prospective fees and discount them accordingly, but the partners would still be saving a fair bit in tax, plus class 4 NI of course.
Can anyone see any pitfalls here? Being an estate agent he's familiar with the concept of huge fees for doing very little work, so I'm hopeful of a fat fee here! I quoted him 12.5% of the tax savings on the incorporation (excluding the ongoing ones you would get through a company anyway). Good advice from that book advertised on AW by Steve Pipe: Practical Pricing for Accountants. Well worth a read.
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 485 17
- MAAT vs ACCA 213 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,339 67
- Accountancy Career 223 2
- Estate agents - shared commission 66 1
- Managing Employee Expenses 24 1
- Tax credit deadline extended by a week 72 1
- What are options for non CA firm 2,987 64
- Is it possible to run/own a UK based business, as a resident of Italy? 47 1
- Small company audit 624 11
- Do I need a smartphone? 477 20
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 561 14
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 688 19
- OVERDRAWN DIRECTORS LOAN ACCOUNT!! 242 3
- West Bromich Albion 413 3
- P11D with no S336 - Code Change ? 118 3
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 99 2
- registering my UK Ltd in Holland 221 4
- Terminal / cessation loss relief against rental income 115 4
- inheritance tax 511 13
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 655
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 422
- Cancelled 413
- How not to compose an email 378
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 358
- Cancelled 354
- Probiz 322
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 305
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 232
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 209