Incorporations and existing contracts
One of my clients wishes to convert their husband and wife partnership to a limited company. The husband is the main fee earner and his wife does a bit of admin work. Being an estate agent and property consultant, most of his fees only materialise when contracts are exchanged.
When the business is incorporated there are likely to be a few ongoing contracts. As the fee income cannot be recognised until contracts are exchanged there is no accrued income to go in the cessation accounts, even if most of the work has been done, as the fee would not be payable if the sale falls through. Therefore, it forms part of the goodwill valuation and is not part of the net assets acquired.
My query is whether you can time the incorporation to take advantage of this so you can maximise the value of the goodwill for pending contracts. Would that be seen as an arrangement substantially to avoid tax or would it get by on the basis that the incorporation itself is for commercial reasons? I wouldn't have thought HMRC could interfere with timings.
The advantage of course is that the partners only pay 10% CGT with entrepreneurs relief. The company would pay 20% corporation tax when the fees become payable but can offset that with tax relief on the amortisation. True, there is a cash flow effect as we would only amortise over 4-5 years, and we would have to do some sort of risk analysis on the value of the prospective fees and discount them accordingly, but the partners would still be saving a fair bit in tax, plus class 4 NI of course.
Can anyone see any pitfalls here? Being an estate agent he's familiar with the concept of huge fees for doing very little work, so I'm hopeful of a fat fee here! I quoted him 12.5% of the tax savings on the incorporation (excluding the ongoing ones you would get through a company anyway). Good advice from that book advertised on AW by Steve Pipe: Practical Pricing for Accountants. Well worth a read.
- What are options for non CA firm 2,033 38
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 344 7
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,711 26
- Errors in prior year accounts 901 25
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 577 11
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 633 6
- Unallocated client money 443 10
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 2,022 41
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,470 26
- Expenses Apps 262 5
- VAT & capitalising 167 3
- Final year's accounts 190 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 389 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 334 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 300 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 171 2
- Invoice Help 270 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 216 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 281 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 263 3
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 627
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 534
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 299
- Cancelled 287
- Cancelled 246
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 195
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 194
- Probiz 180
- Married woman dies owning marital home 177
- What's the market like for temps? 169