Incorporations and existing contracts
One of my clients wishes to convert their husband and wife partnership to a limited company. The husband is the main fee earner and his wife does a bit of admin work. Being an estate agent and property consultant, most of his fees only materialise when contracts are exchanged.
When the business is incorporated there are likely to be a few ongoing contracts. As the fee income cannot be recognised until contracts are exchanged there is no accrued income to go in the cessation accounts, even if most of the work has been done, as the fee would not be payable if the sale falls through. Therefore, it forms part of the goodwill valuation and is not part of the net assets acquired.
My query is whether you can time the incorporation to take advantage of this so you can maximise the value of the goodwill for pending contracts. Would that be seen as an arrangement substantially to avoid tax or would it get by on the basis that the incorporation itself is for commercial reasons? I wouldn't have thought HMRC could interfere with timings.
The advantage of course is that the partners only pay 10% CGT with entrepreneurs relief. The company would pay 20% corporation tax when the fees become payable but can offset that with tax relief on the amortisation. True, there is a cash flow effect as we would only amortise over 4-5 years, and we would have to do some sort of risk analysis on the value of the prospective fees and discount them accordingly, but the partners would still be saving a fair bit in tax, plus class 4 NI of course.
Can anyone see any pitfalls here? Being an estate agent he's familiar with the concept of huge fees for doing very little work, so I'm hopeful of a fat fee here! I quoted him 12.5% of the tax savings on the incorporation (excluding the ongoing ones you would get through a company anyway). Good advice from that book advertised on AW by Steve Pipe: Practical Pricing for Accountants. Well worth a read.
- Interim dividends 130 3
- Company Payroll 68 1
- Dates, more dates and cessation 79 2
- Any printer recommendations? 162 6
- Out of date tax returns 243 2
- Corporation Tax disallowed entertaining 114 3
- How do I tackle fraudulent use of a clients SA tax return? 1,042 6
- VAT on Exhibition services 116 3
- Filling in my self assessment 967 17
- ACCA CPD verifiable units 160 2
- Any chance of winning an Appeal with HRMC for late self assessment charges 324 7
- proposed dividends 656 22
- Deductible or not ? Working out of hotels /coffee shops 435 6
- FPS responses ... 515 16
- Nominal Codes 276 9
- Charging VAT to a Swedish Company 210 7
- How to handle accidental overpayment into SIPP 233 2
- Valuing Famiy Shareholding 195 3
- HMRC SMP Calculator - does it still exist? 129 2
- Alcohol VAT reclaim 178 1
- Sanzar 499
- Digital marketing focus group 399
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 379
- Sainsbury's mangement 330
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 329
- Continuity Agreement 324
- Avanti Accounts 322
- Buyback 286
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 232
- Aggresive sales from Iris 199