Incorporations and existing contracts
One of my clients wishes to convert their husband and wife partnership to a limited company. The husband is the main fee earner and his wife does a bit of admin work. Being an estate agent and property consultant, most of his fees only materialise when contracts are exchanged.
When the business is incorporated there are likely to be a few ongoing contracts. As the fee income cannot be recognised until contracts are exchanged there is no accrued income to go in the cessation accounts, even if most of the work has been done, as the fee would not be payable if the sale falls through. Therefore, it forms part of the goodwill valuation and is not part of the net assets acquired.
My query is whether you can time the incorporation to take advantage of this so you can maximise the value of the goodwill for pending contracts. Would that be seen as an arrangement substantially to avoid tax or would it get by on the basis that the incorporation itself is for commercial reasons? I wouldn't have thought HMRC could interfere with timings.
The advantage of course is that the partners only pay 10% CGT with entrepreneurs relief. The company would pay 20% corporation tax when the fees become payable but can offset that with tax relief on the amortisation. True, there is a cash flow effect as we would only amortise over 4-5 years, and we would have to do some sort of risk analysis on the value of the prospective fees and discount them accordingly, but the partners would still be saving a fair bit in tax, plus class 4 NI of course.
Can anyone see any pitfalls here? Being an estate agent he's familiar with the concept of huge fees for doing very little work, so I'm hopeful of a fat fee here! I quoted him 12.5% of the tax savings on the incorporation (excluding the ongoing ones you would get through a company anyway). Good advice from that book advertised on AW by Steve Pipe: Practical Pricing for Accountants. Well worth a read.
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 547 19
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,459 17
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,049 35
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,196 44
- R&D tax claim 245 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 517 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 171 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 126 2
- Gift to employee 369 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 146 1
- Transfer of a business 124 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,133 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 413 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 114 2
- Sage Import Data 311 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 242 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 124 2
- Best time software for small practice? 231 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 319 13
- private to company car? 374 9
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 479
- CTA study material 454
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 332
- Pre incorp expenses 308
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 267
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 254
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 204
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 159
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 140
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 133