Incorrect VAT returns on Kashflow
I am writing to alert accountants with clients that use Kashflow set up with Fixed Rate Scheme (FRS) percentages and cash accounting basis that it could be calculating VAT incorrectly and their clients could be overpaying VAT. I've identified several clients where VAT could have been overpaid to the VATman if they had submitted the VAT returns using Kashflow. Luckily I spotted the problem in time!
The problem arises where sales invoices issued before 4/1/11 are paid after 3/1/11. In this case Kashflow incorrectly calculates the VAT on a cash accounting basis using the new FRS rate, not the FRS rate at the time the sales invoice was raised.
I advised Kashflow some time ago that this was an issue, but it has yet to be fixed (so much for quick fixes on cloud accounting software!), so I would suggest that accountants check their clients' VAT returns filed for periods ending on or after 31/1/11 to ensure they are correct.
I haven't checked yet, but it is potentially possible that the same problem will occur on previous rate changes. For example when the rate went down to 15% or back up to 17.5%, which could result in under or over paid VAT if Kashflow did not handle the calculations correctly.
Worryingly, there is no easy to use facility on Kashflow to amend VAT return figures should they be known to be incorrect, so users may not be able to file VAT returns online via Kashflow and may have to resort to other means.
It is also difficult for users to identify the error because the Kashflow VAT detail report does not show how it has arrived at the calculation for Box 1 or box 6. The user has to know how to calculate the figures for these entries.
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,198 17
- Clothing 527 14
- Anybody still doing returns? 749 31
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 161 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 174 7
- Parent and subsidiary... 101 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 352 16
- Designated sole Residence 151 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 726 15
- Anyone know what this is? 260 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 905 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 527 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 273 9
- no utr 300 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,140 49
- Director drawings 611 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 298 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 93 1
- Capital Loss 139 3
- LLP formed in 2013 109 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 955
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 678
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 624
- Latest phishing scam 599
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 438
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 327
- Scratch Head 265
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 257
- Sabbatical payments 219
- Negligible Value Claim 198