Incorrect VAT returns on Kashflow
I am writing to alert accountants with clients that use Kashflow set up with Fixed Rate Scheme (FRS) percentages and cash accounting basis that it could be calculating VAT incorrectly and their clients could be overpaying VAT. I've identified several clients where VAT could have been overpaid to the VATman if they had submitted the VAT returns using Kashflow. Luckily I spotted the problem in time!
The problem arises where sales invoices issued before 4/1/11 are paid after 3/1/11. In this case Kashflow incorrectly calculates the VAT on a cash accounting basis using the new FRS rate, not the FRS rate at the time the sales invoice was raised.
I advised Kashflow some time ago that this was an issue, but it has yet to be fixed (so much for quick fixes on cloud accounting software!), so I would suggest that accountants check their clients' VAT returns filed for periods ending on or after 31/1/11 to ensure they are correct.
I haven't checked yet, but it is potentially possible that the same problem will occur on previous rate changes. For example when the rate went down to 15% or back up to 17.5%, which could result in under or over paid VAT if Kashflow did not handle the calculations correctly.
Worryingly, there is no easy to use facility on Kashflow to amend VAT return figures should they be known to be incorrect, so users may not be able to file VAT returns online via Kashflow and may have to resort to other means.
It is also difficult for users to identify the error because the Kashflow VAT detail report does not show how it has arrived at the calculation for Box 1 or box 6. The user has to know how to calculate the figures for these entries.
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 342 13
- capital gains on PPR 222 12
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 137 7
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,779 441
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TAX EFFICIENT WAY TO SELL 40% SHARES IN YOUR START UP BUSINESS FOR APPROXIMATELY 1 MILLION POUNDS 110 2
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,280 62
- Company expansion 70 1
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 364 6
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 153 3
- Pension Contributions Relief 486 15
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 512 8
- 100% Xero practice 2,468 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 234 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 152 1
- Separating business for VAT purposes 147 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 288 9
- PRR 365 13
- 40% rule for travel expenses 403 11
- Cash injection by shareholder 316 7
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 438 20
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,314
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 480
- National Insurance 369
- Non Resident 296
- Franchise income and costs 260
- Hands on experience of Digita 214
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 192
- Employer's Helpline 165
- employment capital allowances 160
- CIS paid under reg 9 157