Incorrect VAT returns on Kashflow
I am writing to alert accountants with clients that use Kashflow set up with Fixed Rate Scheme (FRS) percentages and cash accounting basis that it could be calculating VAT incorrectly and their clients could be overpaying VAT. I've identified several clients where VAT could have been overpaid to the VATman if they had submitted the VAT returns using Kashflow. Luckily I spotted the problem in time!
The problem arises where sales invoices issued before 4/1/11 are paid after 3/1/11. In this case Kashflow incorrectly calculates the VAT on a cash accounting basis using the new FRS rate, not the FRS rate at the time the sales invoice was raised.
I advised Kashflow some time ago that this was an issue, but it has yet to be fixed (so much for quick fixes on cloud accounting software!), so I would suggest that accountants check their clients' VAT returns filed for periods ending on or after 31/1/11 to ensure they are correct.
I haven't checked yet, but it is potentially possible that the same problem will occur on previous rate changes. For example when the rate went down to 15% or back up to 17.5%, which could result in under or over paid VAT if Kashflow did not handle the calculations correctly.
Worryingly, there is no easy to use facility on Kashflow to amend VAT return figures should they be known to be incorrect, so users may not be able to file VAT returns online via Kashflow and may have to resort to other means.
It is also difficult for users to identify the error because the Kashflow VAT detail report does not show how it has arrived at the calculation for Box 1 or box 6. The user has to know how to calculate the figures for these entries.
- VAT flat rate scheme 171 3
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 247 8
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 230 4
- Client information from previous accountant 70 1
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 88 2
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 74 1
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 359 5
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 218 2
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 130 5
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,658 31
- PAYE NI 110 2
- quote for winding down two companies and file accounts 114 1
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 821 14
- How much to charge? 701 10
- break even point 1,006 30
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 177 5
- Accomodation and travel 206 1
- Unpaid Fee's 352 6
- Issue with a software supplier 238 4
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 313 5
- Possible Partnership? 514
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 495
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 469
- New Fangled Penalties 309
- Clubs and Taxable Income 260
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 257
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 251
- Loans to other companies 193
- Tasbook email configuration 185
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 169