Incorrect VAT returns on Kashflow
I am writing to alert accountants with clients that use Kashflow set up with Fixed Rate Scheme (FRS) percentages and cash accounting basis that it could be calculating VAT incorrectly and their clients could be overpaying VAT. I've identified several clients where VAT could have been overpaid to the VATman if they had submitted the VAT returns using Kashflow. Luckily I spotted the problem in time!
The problem arises where sales invoices issued before 4/1/11 are paid after 3/1/11. In this case Kashflow incorrectly calculates the VAT on a cash accounting basis using the new FRS rate, not the FRS rate at the time the sales invoice was raised.
I advised Kashflow some time ago that this was an issue, but it has yet to be fixed (so much for quick fixes on cloud accounting software!), so I would suggest that accountants check their clients' VAT returns filed for periods ending on or after 31/1/11 to ensure they are correct.
I haven't checked yet, but it is potentially possible that the same problem will occur on previous rate changes. For example when the rate went down to 15% or back up to 17.5%, which could result in under or over paid VAT if Kashflow did not handle the calculations correctly.
Worryingly, there is no easy to use facility on Kashflow to amend VAT return figures should they be known to be incorrect, so users may not be able to file VAT returns online via Kashflow and may have to resort to other means.
It is also difficult for users to identify the error because the Kashflow VAT detail report does not show how it has arrived at the calculation for Box 1 or box 6. The user has to know how to calculate the figures for these entries.
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 365 5
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,178 30
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 145 4
- New Company reviews please 632 16
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,079 33
- Business only use of company car 745 27
- Voluntary Disclosure 398 8
- Gift to son by parents 167 1
- valuation of vehicles 492 19
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 287 4
- Director Salaries - Sole Director Limited Company who is also employed elsewhere 180 1
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 409 3
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 465 4
- BTC is slow 311 3
- Director registration for SA question 533 17
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 473 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 520 22
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 528 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 367 4
- VAT with Russia 287 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 323
- Any thoughts on Capium? 261
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 258
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 248
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 228
- auto enrolment 200
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 186
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 172
- How to account for investment in JV? 165
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 159