Incorrect VAT returns on Kashflow
I am writing to alert accountants with clients that use Kashflow set up with Fixed Rate Scheme (FRS) percentages and cash accounting basis that it could be calculating VAT incorrectly and their clients could be overpaying VAT. I've identified several clients where VAT could have been overpaid to the VATman if they had submitted the VAT returns using Kashflow. Luckily I spotted the problem in time!
The problem arises where sales invoices issued before 4/1/11 are paid after 3/1/11. In this case Kashflow incorrectly calculates the VAT on a cash accounting basis using the new FRS rate, not the FRS rate at the time the sales invoice was raised.
I advised Kashflow some time ago that this was an issue, but it has yet to be fixed (so much for quick fixes on cloud accounting software!), so I would suggest that accountants check their clients' VAT returns filed for periods ending on or after 31/1/11 to ensure they are correct.
I haven't checked yet, but it is potentially possible that the same problem will occur on previous rate changes. For example when the rate went down to 15% or back up to 17.5%, which could result in under or over paid VAT if Kashflow did not handle the calculations correctly.
Worryingly, there is no easy to use facility on Kashflow to amend VAT return figures should they be known to be incorrect, so users may not be able to file VAT returns online via Kashflow and may have to resort to other means.
It is also difficult for users to identify the error because the Kashflow VAT detail report does not show how it has arrived at the calculation for Box 1 or box 6. The user has to know how to calculate the figures for these entries.
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 143 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,630 60
- Dividend dates 518 9
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 53 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 409 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 138 2
- 12 Pay Problems 220 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 208 3
- Deduction from Salary 247 7
- Sole properietor 73 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 80 1
- Redudancy 45 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 470 13
- VAT - Recharge 82 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 347 4
- transitioning payroll 173 4
- Legal title not in the company name 203 9
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 164 3
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,752 30
- Car financed by employee 193 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 361
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 307
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 278
- Probiz 269
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 226
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 225
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 201
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 171