Incorrect VAT returns on Kashflow
I am writing to alert accountants with clients that use Kashflow set up with Fixed Rate Scheme (FRS) percentages and cash accounting basis that it could be calculating VAT incorrectly and their clients could be overpaying VAT. I've identified several clients where VAT could have been overpaid to the VATman if they had submitted the VAT returns using Kashflow. Luckily I spotted the problem in time!
The problem arises where sales invoices issued before 4/1/11 are paid after 3/1/11. In this case Kashflow incorrectly calculates the VAT on a cash accounting basis using the new FRS rate, not the FRS rate at the time the sales invoice was raised.
I advised Kashflow some time ago that this was an issue, but it has yet to be fixed (so much for quick fixes on cloud accounting software!), so I would suggest that accountants check their clients' VAT returns filed for periods ending on or after 31/1/11 to ensure they are correct.
I haven't checked yet, but it is potentially possible that the same problem will occur on previous rate changes. For example when the rate went down to 15% or back up to 17.5%, which could result in under or over paid VAT if Kashflow did not handle the calculations correctly.
Worryingly, there is no easy to use facility on Kashflow to amend VAT return figures should they be known to be incorrect, so users may not be able to file VAT returns online via Kashflow and may have to resort to other means.
It is also difficult for users to identify the error because the Kashflow VAT detail report does not show how it has arrived at the calculation for Box 1 or box 6. The user has to know how to calculate the figures for these entries.
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 79 2
- Charging for book-keeping on a 'per transaction' basis 613 17
- ECSL 172 3
- Company Pension Contributions 23 1
- Let Property Campaign 274 5
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 995 11
- New Club 89 2
- Company Accounts - Limited company 408 4
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,582 28
- How much did you pay for your website 209 9
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,215 30
- Who can I refer leads to? 1,231 17
- Self employment trap - pension 110 1
- DTL adjustement in P &L 203 5
- Preparing a consolidated TB 69 1
- Would this fall into IR35 109 2
- Computers & Network Depreciation 160 3
- Capital Allowances and Hire Purchase 189 3
- Awkward IP 384 3
- R & D 198 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 580
- CTA study material 569
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 341
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 265
- Employment related securities question 210
- CCJ and Shareholder/ Director ramifications 180
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 179
- ATED Penalties 177
- AIM Stocks and IHT 162
- Foreign Premium Distributions 135