Incorrect VAT returns on Kashflow
I am writing to alert accountants with clients that use Kashflow set up with Fixed Rate Scheme (FRS) percentages and cash accounting basis that it could be calculating VAT incorrectly and their clients could be overpaying VAT. I've identified several clients where VAT could have been overpaid to the VATman if they had submitted the VAT returns using Kashflow. Luckily I spotted the problem in time!
The problem arises where sales invoices issued before 4/1/11 are paid after 3/1/11. In this case Kashflow incorrectly calculates the VAT on a cash accounting basis using the new FRS rate, not the FRS rate at the time the sales invoice was raised.
I advised Kashflow some time ago that this was an issue, but it has yet to be fixed (so much for quick fixes on cloud accounting software!), so I would suggest that accountants check their clients' VAT returns filed for periods ending on or after 31/1/11 to ensure they are correct.
I haven't checked yet, but it is potentially possible that the same problem will occur on previous rate changes. For example when the rate went down to 15% or back up to 17.5%, which could result in under or over paid VAT if Kashflow did not handle the calculations correctly.
Worryingly, there is no easy to use facility on Kashflow to amend VAT return figures should they be known to be incorrect, so users may not be able to file VAT returns online via Kashflow and may have to resort to other means.
It is also difficult for users to identify the error because the Kashflow VAT detail report does not show how it has arrived at the calculation for Box 1 or box 6. The user has to know how to calculate the figures for these entries.
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 277 5
- Using home as clients registered address 167 4
- How much does the company pay 743 31
- Childcare vouchers 358 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 64 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 66 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 51 1
- two business from one premises 177 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 40 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 239 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 405 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 336 4
- Merry Christmas 117 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 80 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,087 12
- Anyone else still working this week? 421 13
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,430 9
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 551 12
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 121 2
- AIA 296 18
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 507
- corporate hierarchy 470
- Advice - 325
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 274
- WWOOFers 265
- The booking.com con 248
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 243
- Cocaine anyone? 230
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 219
- UK State pension paid in NZ 177