Incorrect VAT returns on Kashflow
I am writing to alert accountants with clients that use Kashflow set up with Fixed Rate Scheme (FRS) percentages and cash accounting basis that it could be calculating VAT incorrectly and their clients could be overpaying VAT. I've identified several clients where VAT could have been overpaid to the VATman if they had submitted the VAT returns using Kashflow. Luckily I spotted the problem in time!
The problem arises where sales invoices issued before 4/1/11 are paid after 3/1/11. In this case Kashflow incorrectly calculates the VAT on a cash accounting basis using the new FRS rate, not the FRS rate at the time the sales invoice was raised.
I advised Kashflow some time ago that this was an issue, but it has yet to be fixed (so much for quick fixes on cloud accounting software!), so I would suggest that accountants check their clients' VAT returns filed for periods ending on or after 31/1/11 to ensure they are correct.
I haven't checked yet, but it is potentially possible that the same problem will occur on previous rate changes. For example when the rate went down to 15% or back up to 17.5%, which could result in under or over paid VAT if Kashflow did not handle the calculations correctly.
Worryingly, there is no easy to use facility on Kashflow to amend VAT return figures should they be known to be incorrect, so users may not be able to file VAT returns online via Kashflow and may have to resort to other means.
It is also difficult for users to identify the error because the Kashflow VAT detail report does not show how it has arrived at the calculation for Box 1 or box 6. The user has to know how to calculate the figures for these entries.
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 23 1
- Director resignation 445 9
- effective advertising 442 10
- Dividend Waiver 139 4
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 368 10
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 128 7
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 236 4
- Company oversea and VAT 46 1
- Small Part Disposal of Property 246 1
- Capital Distribution 71 3
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 520 12
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 139 2
- VAT in Eu 131 2
- minimum shareholding 159 4
- Should we let the Client Call the Shots? 626 8
- CGT on transfer of property 463 21
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,699 28
- PAYE Desktop viewer and/or Moneysoft 104 2
- NED remuneration for a Swiss national 130 4
- Payroll cessation and missing overtime 104 1
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 491
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 471
- WIP Software 343
- No payroll scheme in place 303
- Is there anything wrong with this? 264
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 260
- Uncommercial property business 233
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 198
- SA Penalty 194
- Accrued income scheme 174