Incorrect VAT returns on Kashflow
I am writing to alert accountants with clients that use Kashflow set up with Fixed Rate Scheme (FRS) percentages and cash accounting basis that it could be calculating VAT incorrectly and their clients could be overpaying VAT. I've identified several clients where VAT could have been overpaid to the VATman if they had submitted the VAT returns using Kashflow. Luckily I spotted the problem in time!
The problem arises where sales invoices issued before 4/1/11 are paid after 3/1/11. In this case Kashflow incorrectly calculates the VAT on a cash accounting basis using the new FRS rate, not the FRS rate at the time the sales invoice was raised.
I advised Kashflow some time ago that this was an issue, but it has yet to be fixed (so much for quick fixes on cloud accounting software!), so I would suggest that accountants check their clients' VAT returns filed for periods ending on or after 31/1/11 to ensure they are correct.
I haven't checked yet, but it is potentially possible that the same problem will occur on previous rate changes. For example when the rate went down to 15% or back up to 17.5%, which could result in under or over paid VAT if Kashflow did not handle the calculations correctly.
Worryingly, there is no easy to use facility on Kashflow to amend VAT return figures should they be known to be incorrect, so users may not be able to file VAT returns online via Kashflow and may have to resort to other means.
It is also difficult for users to identify the error because the Kashflow VAT detail report does not show how it has arrived at the calculation for Box 1 or box 6. The user has to know how to calculate the figures for these entries.
- Scoot 146 3
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 123 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 177 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 648 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,426 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 99 1
- Regaining my qualification 163 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 226 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 177 2
- Auto enrolment 174 3
- Shareholder agreement 162 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 193 3
- Company Reorganisation 153 3
- Employee Loan 194 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 458 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 579 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 137 1
- Wear and tear allowance 460 6
- Accountants' Error 657 12
- Website development costs - tax and accounting treatment 355 6
- Skandia using wrong address 1,447
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 755
- Any views 688
- HMRC Employers Diary 520
- International interest certificate 422
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 384
- Sale of business 348
- NOVA 254
- Advertising services? 245
- IRIS Open Books problem 239