Incorrect VAT returns on Kashflow
I am writing to alert accountants with clients that use Kashflow set up with Fixed Rate Scheme (FRS) percentages and cash accounting basis that it could be calculating VAT incorrectly and their clients could be overpaying VAT. I've identified several clients where VAT could have been overpaid to the VATman if they had submitted the VAT returns using Kashflow. Luckily I spotted the problem in time!
The problem arises where sales invoices issued before 4/1/11 are paid after 3/1/11. In this case Kashflow incorrectly calculates the VAT on a cash accounting basis using the new FRS rate, not the FRS rate at the time the sales invoice was raised.
I advised Kashflow some time ago that this was an issue, but it has yet to be fixed (so much for quick fixes on cloud accounting software!), so I would suggest that accountants check their clients' VAT returns filed for periods ending on or after 31/1/11 to ensure they are correct.
I haven't checked yet, but it is potentially possible that the same problem will occur on previous rate changes. For example when the rate went down to 15% or back up to 17.5%, which could result in under or over paid VAT if Kashflow did not handle the calculations correctly.
Worryingly, there is no easy to use facility on Kashflow to amend VAT return figures should they be known to be incorrect, so users may not be able to file VAT returns online via Kashflow and may have to resort to other means.
It is also difficult for users to identify the error because the Kashflow VAT detail report does not show how it has arrived at the calculation for Box 1 or box 6. The user has to know how to calculate the figures for these entries.
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 872 19
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 449 9
- Can I become a self employed bookkeeper?? 130 1
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 165 7
- tagging in Iris accounts production for non standard item 101 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 83 1
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 154 4
- Auto-Enrolment 2,844 155
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 98 1
- 'Find an accountant' 186 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 95 1
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 78 1
- Depreciation on property improvements 104 1
- Construction Industry Funding 107 5
- CGT advice on amicable divorce settlement 95 1
- How important are Journals? 325 9
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 720 15
- Company trading loss relief 271 4
- National Insurance 601 1
- Social Worker limited Co 127 1
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 490
- Skandia using wrong address 432
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 378
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 265
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 236
- Employee rewards 227
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 206
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 180
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 179