Incorrect VAT returns on Kashflow
I am writing to alert accountants with clients that use Kashflow set up with Fixed Rate Scheme (FRS) percentages and cash accounting basis that it could be calculating VAT incorrectly and their clients could be overpaying VAT. I've identified several clients where VAT could have been overpaid to the VATman if they had submitted the VAT returns using Kashflow. Luckily I spotted the problem in time!
The problem arises where sales invoices issued before 4/1/11 are paid after 3/1/11. In this case Kashflow incorrectly calculates the VAT on a cash accounting basis using the new FRS rate, not the FRS rate at the time the sales invoice was raised.
I advised Kashflow some time ago that this was an issue, but it has yet to be fixed (so much for quick fixes on cloud accounting software!), so I would suggest that accountants check their clients' VAT returns filed for periods ending on or after 31/1/11 to ensure they are correct.
I haven't checked yet, but it is potentially possible that the same problem will occur on previous rate changes. For example when the rate went down to 15% or back up to 17.5%, which could result in under or over paid VAT if Kashflow did not handle the calculations correctly.
Worryingly, there is no easy to use facility on Kashflow to amend VAT return figures should they be known to be incorrect, so users may not be able to file VAT returns online via Kashflow and may have to resort to other means.
It is also difficult for users to identify the error because the Kashflow VAT detail report does not show how it has arrived at the calculation for Box 1 or box 6. The user has to know how to calculate the figures for these entries.
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 215 4
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 563 12
- Research and development - repayment timescale 205 5
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 67 2
- Sole trader hid directorships. 344 6
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,356 46
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 245 5
- NOVA 541 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 252 10
- Regional Development Grant 95 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,324 21
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 77 1
- Company car without a salary 200 2
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 372 10
- Charity donations 1,043 21
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 326 13
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 137 2
- VAT on finance leases 194 3
- More HMRC on gov.uk 588 10
- CONVERSION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 298 6
- Bonus Bonds 388
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 375
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 286
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 255
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 183
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 166
- Finance Lease 154
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 146
- Demerger Reserve 128