Incorrect VAT returns on Kashflow
I am writing to alert accountants with clients that use Kashflow set up with Fixed Rate Scheme (FRS) percentages and cash accounting basis that it could be calculating VAT incorrectly and their clients could be overpaying VAT. I've identified several clients where VAT could have been overpaid to the VATman if they had submitted the VAT returns using Kashflow. Luckily I spotted the problem in time!
The problem arises where sales invoices issued before 4/1/11 are paid after 3/1/11. In this case Kashflow incorrectly calculates the VAT on a cash accounting basis using the new FRS rate, not the FRS rate at the time the sales invoice was raised.
I advised Kashflow some time ago that this was an issue, but it has yet to be fixed (so much for quick fixes on cloud accounting software!), so I would suggest that accountants check their clients' VAT returns filed for periods ending on or after 31/1/11 to ensure they are correct.
I haven't checked yet, but it is potentially possible that the same problem will occur on previous rate changes. For example when the rate went down to 15% or back up to 17.5%, which could result in under or over paid VAT if Kashflow did not handle the calculations correctly.
Worryingly, there is no easy to use facility on Kashflow to amend VAT return figures should they be known to be incorrect, so users may not be able to file VAT returns online via Kashflow and may have to resort to other means.
It is also difficult for users to identify the error because the Kashflow VAT detail report does not show how it has arrived at the calculation for Box 1 or box 6. The user has to know how to calculate the figures for these entries.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 845 5
- See you all on the other side 850 6
- 12Pay 613 2
- dividends 833 2
- R&D 382 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,256 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 504 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 503 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 473 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 613 5
- Seeking a tax case 735 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 589 4
- Companies house strike off 716 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 536 2
- Moving to the cloud 803 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 238 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 974 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 243 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,147 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 560 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 585
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 437
- Marginal rates of tax 385
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 384
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 382
- IRIS and FRS 102 372
- Class 2 NI 365
- Capitalising Finance Lease 352
- USA help 332
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 320