Incorrect VAT returns on Kashflow
I am writing to alert accountants with clients that use Kashflow set up with Fixed Rate Scheme (FRS) percentages and cash accounting basis that it could be calculating VAT incorrectly and their clients could be overpaying VAT. I've identified several clients where VAT could have been overpaid to the VATman if they had submitted the VAT returns using Kashflow. Luckily I spotted the problem in time!
The problem arises where sales invoices issued before 4/1/11 are paid after 3/1/11. In this case Kashflow incorrectly calculates the VAT on a cash accounting basis using the new FRS rate, not the FRS rate at the time the sales invoice was raised.
I advised Kashflow some time ago that this was an issue, but it has yet to be fixed (so much for quick fixes on cloud accounting software!), so I would suggest that accountants check their clients' VAT returns filed for periods ending on or after 31/1/11 to ensure they are correct.
I haven't checked yet, but it is potentially possible that the same problem will occur on previous rate changes. For example when the rate went down to 15% or back up to 17.5%, which could result in under or over paid VAT if Kashflow did not handle the calculations correctly.
Worryingly, there is no easy to use facility on Kashflow to amend VAT return figures should they be known to be incorrect, so users may not be able to file VAT returns online via Kashflow and may have to resort to other means.
It is also difficult for users to identify the error because the Kashflow VAT detail report does not show how it has arrived at the calculation for Box 1 or box 6. The user has to know how to calculate the figures for these entries.
- CGT 181 3
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,377 23
- accounting for this transaction 353 3
- Gift Aid 204 5
- Sage payroll alternatives 435 6
- do i have to register new ltd practice as tax agent? 205 3
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 226 2
- Compliance check 574 16
- Capital gain? 193 4
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 125 3
- international employer please help!! 107 2
- Is there capital gains tax for selling a church? 375 5
- Tax Avoidance 228 1
- When to include value of import in Box 7 93 2
- sole trader accountant 887 15
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 466 10
- employer pension contributions - OMB company 188 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 354 7
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 298 8
- Recharge for private use of a company car 369 8
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,095
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 784
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 470
- Digita Hosted Software 283
- Call Centre Data Costs 253
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 234
- Credit where credit's due....... 229
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 212
- Director phone costs 159
- RTI overpayments gap 154