Incorrect VAT returns on Kashflow
I am writing to alert accountants with clients that use Kashflow set up with Fixed Rate Scheme (FRS) percentages and cash accounting basis that it could be calculating VAT incorrectly and their clients could be overpaying VAT. I've identified several clients where VAT could have been overpaid to the VATman if they had submitted the VAT returns using Kashflow. Luckily I spotted the problem in time!
The problem arises where sales invoices issued before 4/1/11 are paid after 3/1/11. In this case Kashflow incorrectly calculates the VAT on a cash accounting basis using the new FRS rate, not the FRS rate at the time the sales invoice was raised.
I advised Kashflow some time ago that this was an issue, but it has yet to be fixed (so much for quick fixes on cloud accounting software!), so I would suggest that accountants check their clients' VAT returns filed for periods ending on or after 31/1/11 to ensure they are correct.
I haven't checked yet, but it is potentially possible that the same problem will occur on previous rate changes. For example when the rate went down to 15% or back up to 17.5%, which could result in under or over paid VAT if Kashflow did not handle the calculations correctly.
Worryingly, there is no easy to use facility on Kashflow to amend VAT return figures should they be known to be incorrect, so users may not be able to file VAT returns online via Kashflow and may have to resort to other means.
It is also difficult for users to identify the error because the Kashflow VAT detail report does not show how it has arrived at the calculation for Box 1 or box 6. The user has to know how to calculate the figures for these entries.
- Accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 118 8
- Tax Return Deadlines 70 1
- Flat rate vat error 309 7
- EC VAT 199 9
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 505 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 280 14
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 524 16
- can I claim a per diem 246 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 133 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,365 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 237 6
- VAT on part of a closed pub 237 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 75 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 278 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 525 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 836 19
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 154 3
- Linux Accounting Software 561 13
- RTI due -no broadband 158 1
- Shareholders selling shares to shareholders, how to account for it? 107 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 822
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 501
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 316
- How to format a stock book 281
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 226
- Tax efficient holding company structure 219
- Investment property company accounts template 217
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 209
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 177