Incorrect VAT returns on Kashflow
I am writing to alert accountants with clients that use Kashflow set up with Fixed Rate Scheme (FRS) percentages and cash accounting basis that it could be calculating VAT incorrectly and their clients could be overpaying VAT. I've identified several clients where VAT could have been overpaid to the VATman if they had submitted the VAT returns using Kashflow. Luckily I spotted the problem in time!
The problem arises where sales invoices issued before 4/1/11 are paid after 3/1/11. In this case Kashflow incorrectly calculates the VAT on a cash accounting basis using the new FRS rate, not the FRS rate at the time the sales invoice was raised.
I advised Kashflow some time ago that this was an issue, but it has yet to be fixed (so much for quick fixes on cloud accounting software!), so I would suggest that accountants check their clients' VAT returns filed for periods ending on or after 31/1/11 to ensure they are correct.
I haven't checked yet, but it is potentially possible that the same problem will occur on previous rate changes. For example when the rate went down to 15% or back up to 17.5%, which could result in under or over paid VAT if Kashflow did not handle the calculations correctly.
Worryingly, there is no easy to use facility on Kashflow to amend VAT return figures should they be known to be incorrect, so users may not be able to file VAT returns online via Kashflow and may have to resort to other means.
It is also difficult for users to identify the error because the Kashflow VAT detail report does not show how it has arrived at the calculation for Box 1 or box 6. The user has to know how to calculate the figures for these entries.
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 190 3
- Moneysoft Payroll 351 12
- Client right to working papers 1,584 13
- 31st october deadline 105 4
- Self-employed 779 17
- Form17 83 2
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 389 14
- Limited company taking a share in a new limited company 90 3
- Who owns the tax computations - client or accountant ? 634 17
- VAT registration and two trades 215 2
- Seeking advice: Retired self employed working from home 350 6
- VAT on residential properties 290 5
- Microsoft One Drive 817 30
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 1,001 15
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 531 8
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 950 20
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 295 4
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 220 4
- vat gross margins 199 2
- Employer PAYE Refund 258 4
- NHS finance professionals 677
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 414
- Foreign Pension Contribution 386
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 374
- vat gross profit percentage margins 372
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 360
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 315
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 286
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 249
- IFA income recognition & reporting 215