Inland Revenue - Gone Fishing?
I received an unsolicited standard letter from the Inland Revenue yesterday.
The first half was re-assuring, wondering if I might have paid too much tax - fat chance of that, I thought!
Turning the page, the true reason for this fishing became more apparent, as the Revenue then speculated that I might have paid too little tax.
No problem so far, but what followed was a list of categories of people from which the Revenue required an annual Tax Return.
I count myself lucky as I have never been sent a Tax Return to complete. I don't feel lucky because I have anything to hide. On the contrary, my tax affairs are very straightforward given that I am an employee paid under PAYE. However, since being appointed a Company Director in August 2003, I have been expecting the arrival of my first ever Return, and my perception is that once the IR have you on their little list, you will be completing the wretched things for the rest of your days. And however simple one's affairs, there is obviously an annual time, cost and hassle implication in this.
My question is whether, given that Company Directors are listed in the IR Fishing letter as a category from which the Revenue requires a Tax Return, am I now obliged to write to them to request one? I am loathed to do so - see my reasoning above - and given that the names and addresses of Directors are in the public domain via Companies House, I hardly feel like I should have to respond to a random fishing expedition, when the IR could easily obtain this information anyway.
One slight complication:-
I invested in shares in my Employer's Company following an MBO in 2001, and have been paying interest on the loan I took out to buy the shares ever since. I have never received tax relief on this interest (though I understand it is, theoretically available). If I bite the bullet and request a return, would I be able to claim relief on prior year's interest payments on this year's return? Or have I now missed the chance to get the previous year's relief?
Thanks in anticipation.
A Taxed Director
- CT return error message 312 9
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 51 1
- Should the Report of the Director be included in the interim financial statements of a small company 39 1
- Audit rules 338 8
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager 218 6
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 281 7
- Slipped out of the self assessment radar 177 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 777 11
- Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax 158 2
- FRS17 query 195 2
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 926 6
- Charge HMRC 189 2
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 475 17
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,076 25
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 359 8
- VAT 185 2
- Group subcontracting - accounts not consolidated 84 1
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 183 2
- Capital repayments 185 3
- Online payroll software 276 4
- Xtuple 537
- Qtac payroll for bureau 368
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 308
- Industrial & Provident Societies 305
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 259
- CIS schemes 198
- Domain name sale and limited company 195
- Investment 178
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 169
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 164