Inland Revenue - Gone Fishing?
I received an unsolicited standard letter from the Inland Revenue yesterday.
The first half was re-assuring, wondering if I might have paid too much tax - fat chance of that, I thought!
Turning the page, the true reason for this fishing became more apparent, as the Revenue then speculated that I might have paid too little tax.
No problem so far, but what followed was a list of categories of people from which the Revenue required an annual Tax Return.
I count myself lucky as I have never been sent a Tax Return to complete. I don't feel lucky because I have anything to hide. On the contrary, my tax affairs are very straightforward given that I am an employee paid under PAYE. However, since being appointed a Company Director in August 2003, I have been expecting the arrival of my first ever Return, and my perception is that once the IR have you on their little list, you will be completing the wretched things for the rest of your days. And however simple one's affairs, there is obviously an annual time, cost and hassle implication in this.
My question is whether, given that Company Directors are listed in the IR Fishing letter as a category from which the Revenue requires a Tax Return, am I now obliged to write to them to request one? I am loathed to do so - see my reasoning above - and given that the names and addresses of Directors are in the public domain via Companies House, I hardly feel like I should have to respond to a random fishing expedition, when the IR could easily obtain this information anyway.
One slight complication:-
I invested in shares in my Employer's Company following an MBO in 2001, and have been paying interest on the loan I took out to buy the shares ever since. I have never received tax relief on this interest (though I understand it is, theoretically available). If I bite the bullet and request a return, would I be able to claim relief on prior year's interest payments on this year's return? Or have I now missed the chance to get the previous year's relief?
Thanks in anticipation.
A Taxed Director
- Director resignation 261 6
- Company asserts 118 1
- VAT on unused stock 79 1
- When to recover vat on bad debts 144 4
- Can't find a good web address 193 3
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 193 7
- Timesheet and travel expenses software for engineering consultants 208 5
- effective advertising 271 6
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 197 8
- Software recommendations 315 2
- Cloud Based Software recommendations please 166 3
- Edible spam? 806 16
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 321 5
- Put fees on website 313 6
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,579 27
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,351 4
- Sigma Red 1,435 3
- CIS Software Recommendations 350 5
- VAT on medical/care services? 124 2
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 207 2
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 483
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 467
- WIP Software 339
- No payroll scheme in place 293
- Is there anything wrong with this? 260
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 256
- Small Part Disposal of Property 230
- Uncommercial property business 230
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 194
- SA Penalty 187