Inland Revenue - Gone Fishing?
I received an unsolicited standard letter from the Inland Revenue yesterday.
The first half was re-assuring, wondering if I might have paid too much tax - fat chance of that, I thought!
Turning the page, the true reason for this fishing became more apparent, as the Revenue then speculated that I might have paid too little tax.
No problem so far, but what followed was a list of categories of people from which the Revenue required an annual Tax Return.
I count myself lucky as I have never been sent a Tax Return to complete. I don't feel lucky because I have anything to hide. On the contrary, my tax affairs are very straightforward given that I am an employee paid under PAYE. However, since being appointed a Company Director in August 2003, I have been expecting the arrival of my first ever Return, and my perception is that once the IR have you on their little list, you will be completing the wretched things for the rest of your days. And however simple one's affairs, there is obviously an annual time, cost and hassle implication in this.
My question is whether, given that Company Directors are listed in the IR Fishing letter as a category from which the Revenue requires a Tax Return, am I now obliged to write to them to request one? I am loathed to do so - see my reasoning above - and given that the names and addresses of Directors are in the public domain via Companies House, I hardly feel like I should have to respond to a random fishing expedition, when the IR could easily obtain this information anyway.
One slight complication:-
I invested in shares in my Employer's Company following an MBO in 2001, and have been paying interest on the loan I took out to buy the shares ever since. I have never received tax relief on this interest (though I understand it is, theoretically available). If I bite the bullet and request a return, would I be able to claim relief on prior year's interest payments on this year's return? Or have I now missed the chance to get the previous year's relief?
Thanks in anticipation.
A Taxed Director
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,311 21
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 845 18
- NALS Accountants Report 94 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,464 35
- Legal title not in the company name 263 10
- Dividend dates 557 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 118 3
- Sole properietor 164 4
- transitioning payroll 232 8
- dividend proposals 100 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 228 2
- Deduction from Salary 292 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 187 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,723 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 87 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 435 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 157 2
- 12 Pay Problems 250 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 254 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 88 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 623
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 310
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 283
- Probiz 271
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 230
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 230
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 175