Inland Revenue - Gone Fishing?
I received an unsolicited standard letter from the Inland Revenue yesterday.
The first half was re-assuring, wondering if I might have paid too much tax - fat chance of that, I thought!
Turning the page, the true reason for this fishing became more apparent, as the Revenue then speculated that I might have paid too little tax.
No problem so far, but what followed was a list of categories of people from which the Revenue required an annual Tax Return.
I count myself lucky as I have never been sent a Tax Return to complete. I don't feel lucky because I have anything to hide. On the contrary, my tax affairs are very straightforward given that I am an employee paid under PAYE. However, since being appointed a Company Director in August 2003, I have been expecting the arrival of my first ever Return, and my perception is that once the IR have you on their little list, you will be completing the wretched things for the rest of your days. And however simple one's affairs, there is obviously an annual time, cost and hassle implication in this.
My question is whether, given that Company Directors are listed in the IR Fishing letter as a category from which the Revenue requires a Tax Return, am I now obliged to write to them to request one? I am loathed to do so - see my reasoning above - and given that the names and addresses of Directors are in the public domain via Companies House, I hardly feel like I should have to respond to a random fishing expedition, when the IR could easily obtain this information anyway.
One slight complication:-
I invested in shares in my Employer's Company following an MBO in 2001, and have been paying interest on the loan I took out to buy the shares ever since. I have never received tax relief on this interest (though I understand it is, theoretically available). If I bite the bullet and request a return, would I be able to claim relief on prior year's interest payments on this year's return? Or have I now missed the chance to get the previous year's relief?
Thanks in anticipation.
A Taxed Director
- UK Accountancy Franchise 68 1
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 217 2
- Don't HMRC collect CT anymore? 48 1
- Starting new accounting business 311 6
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 146 4
- error on companies house accounts 742 18
- RTI penalties 101 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 519 7
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 158 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 311 5
- US Sales Tax 113 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 368 15
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 200 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 153 1
- Group Relief 131 4
- R&D Credits 105 1
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 254 7
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 136 2
- Clients 684 14
- Advice needed on my practice but not my clients 337 4
- QROP pension input amounts 501
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 482
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 445
- EPS and CIS deductions 300
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 291
- Construction CIS LLP Company 285
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 250
- SAGE winforecast 205
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 187
- Overdrawn director account 174