Inland Revenue - Gone Fishing?
I received an unsolicited standard letter from the Inland Revenue yesterday.
The first half was re-assuring, wondering if I might have paid too much tax - fat chance of that, I thought!
Turning the page, the true reason for this fishing became more apparent, as the Revenue then speculated that I might have paid too little tax.
No problem so far, but what followed was a list of categories of people from which the Revenue required an annual Tax Return.
I count myself lucky as I have never been sent a Tax Return to complete. I don't feel lucky because I have anything to hide. On the contrary, my tax affairs are very straightforward given that I am an employee paid under PAYE. However, since being appointed a Company Director in August 2003, I have been expecting the arrival of my first ever Return, and my perception is that once the IR have you on their little list, you will be completing the wretched things for the rest of your days. And however simple one's affairs, there is obviously an annual time, cost and hassle implication in this.
My question is whether, given that Company Directors are listed in the IR Fishing letter as a category from which the Revenue requires a Tax Return, am I now obliged to write to them to request one? I am loathed to do so - see my reasoning above - and given that the names and addresses of Directors are in the public domain via Companies House, I hardly feel like I should have to respond to a random fishing expedition, when the IR could easily obtain this information anyway.
One slight complication:-
I invested in shares in my Employer's Company following an MBO in 2001, and have been paying interest on the loan I took out to buy the shares ever since. I have never received tax relief on this interest (though I understand it is, theoretically available). If I bite the bullet and request a return, would I be able to claim relief on prior year's interest payments on this year's return? Or have I now missed the chance to get the previous year's relief?
Thanks in anticipation.
A Taxed Director
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 92 1
- Invoice Help 211 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 128 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 210 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 204 3
- Sorry ignore me 882 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 552 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,929 35
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,238 12
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 155 12
- Errors in prior year accounts 788 20
- VAT & capitalising 80 1
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 313 5
- Free Shares ? 237 2
- Is this a scam? 554 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 293 7
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 275 6
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 150 1
- Peer to Peer lending 864 9
- VAT B2B V's Reverse Charge 105 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 624
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 530
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 284
- Cancelled 244
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 189
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 188
- Probiz 169
- What's the market like for temps? 164
- Married woman dies owning marital home 162