Inland Revenue - Gone Fishing?
I received an unsolicited standard letter from the Inland Revenue yesterday.
The first half was re-assuring, wondering if I might have paid too much tax - fat chance of that, I thought!
Turning the page, the true reason for this fishing became more apparent, as the Revenue then speculated that I might have paid too little tax.
No problem so far, but what followed was a list of categories of people from which the Revenue required an annual Tax Return.
I count myself lucky as I have never been sent a Tax Return to complete. I don't feel lucky because I have anything to hide. On the contrary, my tax affairs are very straightforward given that I am an employee paid under PAYE. However, since being appointed a Company Director in August 2003, I have been expecting the arrival of my first ever Return, and my perception is that once the IR have you on their little list, you will be completing the wretched things for the rest of your days. And however simple one's affairs, there is obviously an annual time, cost and hassle implication in this.
My question is whether, given that Company Directors are listed in the IR Fishing letter as a category from which the Revenue requires a Tax Return, am I now obliged to write to them to request one? I am loathed to do so - see my reasoning above - and given that the names and addresses of Directors are in the public domain via Companies House, I hardly feel like I should have to respond to a random fishing expedition, when the IR could easily obtain this information anyway.
One slight complication:-
I invested in shares in my Employer's Company following an MBO in 2001, and have been paying interest on the loan I took out to buy the shares ever since. I have never received tax relief on this interest (though I understand it is, theoretically available). If I bite the bullet and request a return, would I be able to claim relief on prior year's interest payments on this year's return? Or have I now missed the chance to get the previous year's relief?
Thanks in anticipation.
A Taxed Director
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 914 42
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 93 4
- wave software 105 1
- Freelance software consultant 318 5
- client can't/won't pay 267 11
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,131 14
- Window Comb Binder Cover 89 2
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 211 5
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 133 3
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 207 6
- losses carried forward 366 10
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 467 22
- Auto enrolment 1,621 26
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 212 8
- VT 350 7
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 698 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 157 2
- Ongoing trade? 241 5
- Tax Enquiry - Inspector Error 301 2
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 156 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 780
- Copy Wanted 491
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 453
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 451
- Latest phishing scam 281
- Entrepreneurs' relief 266
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 261
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 244
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 232
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 227