Input Vat on start-up training course.
Potential new client is going to train to become a helicopter flying instructor. She asks 'can I get income tax relief and can I also claim back the vat I am being charged on this training course which is after all to enable me to become qualified to do so?'
Our answer is that no income tax relief is available on this initial set up training cost, but a cost can be claimed only when and if any further updating of technical skills are required in exactly the same way I undertake CPD. This I believe has always been the case and I have no reason to change my opinion. With regard to the input vat claim my initial reaction was that no vat could be claimed. This was on the grounds that as she can't fly at present then there is a personal motive as well as a business motive. (Unless an apportionment is allowed). Until she qualifies she can't chase for business so there is a problem anyway with intending trader status. I am sure that HMRC would not want to refund tax now if she never fulfills her ambitions. However on second thoughts as the training course lasts for 10 months (it's on an intensive basis) in ten months time if she then registered could she claim? Again as the course was a service the course costs are over the six month limit so still no valid claim BUT if the flying school invoiced monthly she might be able to claim the last six out of ten. Is this a possibility? When you consider that the costs are £55k there is a lot of vat at stake!
The client says that the place she intends to train with are adamant that vat can be claimed as their accountant has told them so. (At least it wasn't the man in the pub!) However I am not so sure. A seminar she attended run by the helicopter school also said that she could get income tax relief - but they would wouldn't they as they want the work! One further complication is that her husband is alraedy a client of mine and in any case where I say no and others say yes then this could mean loss of confidence by the husband and instead of gaining a client I could lose one!
Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am 'my head's in a spin' with this (sorry!).
Thanks in advance.
- Stock of photos to capatilise 130 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,259 50
- VAT on a private sale? 88 4
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 307 17
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,206 24
- Where has Portia gone? 3,088 87
- Payroll software 144 7
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 49 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 586 19
- Practice management software 1,055 19
- Trade Association Dinner 137 1
- RTI - duplicate employee record 588 1
- Share buyback, possible embezzlement 160 4
- Change if career direction from industry to practice 179 2
- Depreciation of Revalued Building 58 1
- Spousal transfer and PPR 756 32
- Portia ... Where art thou 453 1
- Taxation of serviced offices 219 3
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 781 16
- Write off loan between companies 617 24
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 806
- Pensions Regulator 459
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 419
- Sanzar 323
- How do you do it 313
- Digital marketing focus group 301
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 278
- new investor structure 187
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 178
- Fit for purpose 177