Input Vat on start-up training course.
Potential new client is going to train to become a helicopter flying instructor. She asks 'can I get income tax relief and can I also claim back the vat I am being charged on this training course which is after all to enable me to become qualified to do so?'
Our answer is that no income tax relief is available on this initial set up training cost, but a cost can be claimed only when and if any further updating of technical skills are required in exactly the same way I undertake CPD. This I believe has always been the case and I have no reason to change my opinion. With regard to the input vat claim my initial reaction was that no vat could be claimed. This was on the grounds that as she can't fly at present then there is a personal motive as well as a business motive. (Unless an apportionment is allowed). Until she qualifies she can't chase for business so there is a problem anyway with intending trader status. I am sure that HMRC would not want to refund tax now if she never fulfills her ambitions. However on second thoughts as the training course lasts for 10 months (it's on an intensive basis) in ten months time if she then registered could she claim? Again as the course was a service the course costs are over the six month limit so still no valid claim BUT if the flying school invoiced monthly she might be able to claim the last six out of ten. Is this a possibility? When you consider that the costs are £55k there is a lot of vat at stake!
The client says that the place she intends to train with are adamant that vat can be claimed as their accountant has told them so. (At least it wasn't the man in the pub!) However I am not so sure. A seminar she attended run by the helicopter school also said that she could get income tax relief - but they would wouldn't they as they want the work! One further complication is that her husband is alraedy a client of mine and in any case where I say no and others say yes then this could mean loss of confidence by the husband and instead of gaining a client I could lose one!
Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am 'my head's in a spin' with this (sorry!).
Thanks in advance.
- Flat Rate VAT 212 8
- When to register or not for PAYE 528 11
- Invoicing for monthly clients 474 8
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 213 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 555 8
- Redundancy pay 311 9
- Final CT Return - liquidating company 222 2
- VAT on farm machinery sold 258 5
- Servicing AE fees 158 2
- VAT Receipts 256 8
- Changing pay dates on Moneysoft 120 2
- P800 problems again 97 1
- Company accounts for £350 961 27
- Directors Loan Account Question 419 12
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,151 40
- Setting up a Charity Trust?? 143 4
- Seeking advice: Osetting Directors Loan at Startup 217 5
- Software for Accounts layout 265 4
- Today's HMRC Business Help & Support SA302s 236 6
- Debt management unit HMRC 169 1
- FRS 101 Software 332
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 302
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 295
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 271
- French ConnectionUK 236
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 207
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 201
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 199
- APN's 183
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 180