Input Vat on start-up training course.
Potential new client is going to train to become a helicopter flying instructor. She asks 'can I get income tax relief and can I also claim back the vat I am being charged on this training course which is after all to enable me to become qualified to do so?'
Our answer is that no income tax relief is available on this initial set up training cost, but a cost can be claimed only when and if any further updating of technical skills are required in exactly the same way I undertake CPD. This I believe has always been the case and I have no reason to change my opinion. With regard to the input vat claim my initial reaction was that no vat could be claimed. This was on the grounds that as she can't fly at present then there is a personal motive as well as a business motive. (Unless an apportionment is allowed). Until she qualifies she can't chase for business so there is a problem anyway with intending trader status. I am sure that HMRC would not want to refund tax now if she never fulfills her ambitions. However on second thoughts as the training course lasts for 10 months (it's on an intensive basis) in ten months time if she then registered could she claim? Again as the course was a service the course costs are over the six month limit so still no valid claim BUT if the flying school invoiced monthly she might be able to claim the last six out of ten. Is this a possibility? When you consider that the costs are £55k there is a lot of vat at stake!
The client says that the place she intends to train with are adamant that vat can be claimed as their accountant has told them so. (At least it wasn't the man in the pub!) However I am not so sure. A seminar she attended run by the helicopter school also said that she could get income tax relief - but they would wouldn't they as they want the work! One further complication is that her husband is alraedy a client of mine and in any case where I say no and others say yes then this could mean loss of confidence by the husband and instead of gaining a client I could lose one!
Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am 'my head's in a spin' with this (sorry!).
Thanks in advance.
- Dress code 1,191 27
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 677 9
- carry back of gift aid 48 1
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 679 18
- Scottish Independance 442 13
- How to complain about HMRC 927 12
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 323 8
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 73 2
- NOMINAL CODES 310 4
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 164 2
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 701 5
- VAT on goods never entered the UK 278 9
- Interest relief before property is rented out 226 4
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 368 7
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 422 9
- Sharing of Fixed Assets 98 1
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 248 1
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 334 12
- How much did you pay for your website 1,606 27
- Dividend 440 6
- CTA study material 746
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 460
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 339
- Employment related securities question 298
- AIM Stocks and IHT 273
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 244
- Expat pension contributions? 236
- Trust for Employee 226
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 140
- Wind Turbine - Company or not? 130