Input Vat on start-up training course.
Potential new client is going to train to become a helicopter flying instructor. She asks 'can I get income tax relief and can I also claim back the vat I am being charged on this training course which is after all to enable me to become qualified to do so?'
Our answer is that no income tax relief is available on this initial set up training cost, but a cost can be claimed only when and if any further updating of technical skills are required in exactly the same way I undertake CPD. This I believe has always been the case and I have no reason to change my opinion. With regard to the input vat claim my initial reaction was that no vat could be claimed. This was on the grounds that as she can't fly at present then there is a personal motive as well as a business motive. (Unless an apportionment is allowed). Until she qualifies she can't chase for business so there is a problem anyway with intending trader status. I am sure that HMRC would not want to refund tax now if she never fulfills her ambitions. However on second thoughts as the training course lasts for 10 months (it's on an intensive basis) in ten months time if she then registered could she claim? Again as the course was a service the course costs are over the six month limit so still no valid claim BUT if the flying school invoiced monthly she might be able to claim the last six out of ten. Is this a possibility? When you consider that the costs are £55k there is a lot of vat at stake!
The client says that the place she intends to train with are adamant that vat can be claimed as their accountant has told them so. (At least it wasn't the man in the pub!) However I am not so sure. A seminar she attended run by the helicopter school also said that she could get income tax relief - but they would wouldn't they as they want the work! One further complication is that her husband is alraedy a client of mine and in any case where I say no and others say yes then this could mean loss of confidence by the husband and instead of gaining a client I could lose one!
Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am 'my head's in a spin' with this (sorry!).
Thanks in advance.
- UK Accountancy Franchise 91 2
- Directors obligation to notify 34 1
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 228 2
- Don't HMRC collect CT anymore? 70 1
- Starting new accounting business 314 6
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 149 4
- error on companies house accounts 744 18
- RTI penalties 106 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 525 7
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 159 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 311 5
- US Sales Tax 113 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 372 15
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 202 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 158 1
- Group Relief 132 4
- R&D Credits 105 1
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 256 7
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 138 2
- Clients 684 14
- QROP pension input amounts 501
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 482
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 445
- EPS and CIS deductions 302
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 291
- Construction CIS LLP Company 285
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 250
- SAGE winforecast 205
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 187
- Overdrawn director account 174