Input Vat on start-up training course.
Potential new client is going to train to become a helicopter flying instructor. She asks 'can I get income tax relief and can I also claim back the vat I am being charged on this training course which is after all to enable me to become qualified to do so?'
Our answer is that no income tax relief is available on this initial set up training cost, but a cost can be claimed only when and if any further updating of technical skills are required in exactly the same way I undertake CPD. This I believe has always been the case and I have no reason to change my opinion. With regard to the input vat claim my initial reaction was that no vat could be claimed. This was on the grounds that as she can't fly at present then there is a personal motive as well as a business motive. (Unless an apportionment is allowed). Until she qualifies she can't chase for business so there is a problem anyway with intending trader status. I am sure that HMRC would not want to refund tax now if she never fulfills her ambitions. However on second thoughts as the training course lasts for 10 months (it's on an intensive basis) in ten months time if she then registered could she claim? Again as the course was a service the course costs are over the six month limit so still no valid claim BUT if the flying school invoiced monthly she might be able to claim the last six out of ten. Is this a possibility? When you consider that the costs are £55k there is a lot of vat at stake!
The client says that the place she intends to train with are adamant that vat can be claimed as their accountant has told them so. (At least it wasn't the man in the pub!) However I am not so sure. A seminar she attended run by the helicopter school also said that she could get income tax relief - but they would wouldn't they as they want the work! One further complication is that her husband is alraedy a client of mine and in any case where I say no and others say yes then this could mean loss of confidence by the husband and instead of gaining a client I could lose one!
Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am 'my head's in a spin' with this (sorry!).
Thanks in advance.
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 301 7
- Auto-Enrolment 3,491 169
- Proof of Delivery 134 2
- Research expenses for authors 249 5
- Investor exit 67 1
- Partially exempt? 43 1
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 116 3
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 236 4
- OBK 204 5
- Accounting for a VAT Group 114 3
- Xero (another cloud system) and your year end accounts file 113 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,689 25
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 378 4
- Property expense - legal fees 110 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,732 588
- Rental Income Tax Planning 107 2
- What type of Trust? 95 1
- Dormant Company 133 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 775 16
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 121 2
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 505
- Skandia using wrong address 457
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 245
- Employee rewards 245
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 212
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 196
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 186
- Etax Australian 156