Input Vat on start-up training course.
Potential new client is going to train to become a helicopter flying instructor. She asks 'can I get income tax relief and can I also claim back the vat I am being charged on this training course which is after all to enable me to become qualified to do so?'
Our answer is that no income tax relief is available on this initial set up training cost, but a cost can be claimed only when and if any further updating of technical skills are required in exactly the same way I undertake CPD. This I believe has always been the case and I have no reason to change my opinion. With regard to the input vat claim my initial reaction was that no vat could be claimed. This was on the grounds that as she can't fly at present then there is a personal motive as well as a business motive. (Unless an apportionment is allowed). Until she qualifies she can't chase for business so there is a problem anyway with intending trader status. I am sure that HMRC would not want to refund tax now if she never fulfills her ambitions. However on second thoughts as the training course lasts for 10 months (it's on an intensive basis) in ten months time if she then registered could she claim? Again as the course was a service the course costs are over the six month limit so still no valid claim BUT if the flying school invoiced monthly she might be able to claim the last six out of ten. Is this a possibility? When you consider that the costs are £55k there is a lot of vat at stake!
The client says that the place she intends to train with are adamant that vat can be claimed as their accountant has told them so. (At least it wasn't the man in the pub!) However I am not so sure. A seminar she attended run by the helicopter school also said that she could get income tax relief - but they would wouldn't they as they want the work! One further complication is that her husband is alraedy a client of mine and in any case where I say no and others say yes then this could mean loss of confidence by the husband and instead of gaining a client I could lose one!
Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am 'my head's in a spin' with this (sorry!).
Thanks in advance.
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,636 37
- Collection or business assets 63 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 213 8
- Company Director In Prison 385 10
- Tax position re this lease? 355 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 670 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 85 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,629 70
- Help with HMRC investigation 111 2
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 76 2
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 320 5
- AWeb - download file 123 2
- pension paid by company? 322 8
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 738 17
- Late annual return 117 1
- Charity work 210 10
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 223 12
- HMRC Agents Line 133 2
- Managing Employee Expenses 178 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,686 60
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 672
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 500
- Cancelled 426
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 361
- Probiz 334
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 322
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 242
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 214
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 197