Input Vat on start-up training course.
Potential new client is going to train to become a helicopter flying instructor. She asks 'can I get income tax relief and can I also claim back the vat I am being charged on this training course which is after all to enable me to become qualified to do so?'
Our answer is that no income tax relief is available on this initial set up training cost, but a cost can be claimed only when and if any further updating of technical skills are required in exactly the same way I undertake CPD. This I believe has always been the case and I have no reason to change my opinion. With regard to the input vat claim my initial reaction was that no vat could be claimed. This was on the grounds that as she can't fly at present then there is a personal motive as well as a business motive. (Unless an apportionment is allowed). Until she qualifies she can't chase for business so there is a problem anyway with intending trader status. I am sure that HMRC would not want to refund tax now if she never fulfills her ambitions. However on second thoughts as the training course lasts for 10 months (it's on an intensive basis) in ten months time if she then registered could she claim? Again as the course was a service the course costs are over the six month limit so still no valid claim BUT if the flying school invoiced monthly she might be able to claim the last six out of ten. Is this a possibility? When you consider that the costs are £55k there is a lot of vat at stake!
The client says that the place she intends to train with are adamant that vat can be claimed as their accountant has told them so. (At least it wasn't the man in the pub!) However I am not so sure. A seminar she attended run by the helicopter school also said that she could get income tax relief - but they would wouldn't they as they want the work! One further complication is that her husband is alraedy a client of mine and in any case where I say no and others say yes then this could mean loss of confidence by the husband and instead of gaining a client I could lose one!
Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am 'my head's in a spin' with this (sorry!).
Thanks in advance.
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 471 17
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 252 3
- www.pool.adzio 72 2
- Time to ditch Sage? 351 6
- Losses carry forward to self employed 130 2
- Fees 381 4
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,852 43
- Agent Authorisation Issue 271 3
- HMRC Post 550 7
- Transactions with directors 466 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 303 9
- Non VAT invoices 233 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 230 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,416 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 271 5
- Form 17 Download 183 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 584 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 398 4
- HMRC Information notice 1,006 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 300 3
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 765
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 416
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 368
- Electric Car 302
- S222 Charge 246
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 213
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 189
- AIA 186
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 181