Input Vat on start-up training course.
Potential new client is going to train to become a helicopter flying instructor. She asks 'can I get income tax relief and can I also claim back the vat I am being charged on this training course which is after all to enable me to become qualified to do so?'
Our answer is that no income tax relief is available on this initial set up training cost, but a cost can be claimed only when and if any further updating of technical skills are required in exactly the same way I undertake CPD. This I believe has always been the case and I have no reason to change my opinion. With regard to the input vat claim my initial reaction was that no vat could be claimed. This was on the grounds that as she can't fly at present then there is a personal motive as well as a business motive. (Unless an apportionment is allowed). Until she qualifies she can't chase for business so there is a problem anyway with intending trader status. I am sure that HMRC would not want to refund tax now if she never fulfills her ambitions. However on second thoughts as the training course lasts for 10 months (it's on an intensive basis) in ten months time if she then registered could she claim? Again as the course was a service the course costs are over the six month limit so still no valid claim BUT if the flying school invoiced monthly she might be able to claim the last six out of ten. Is this a possibility? When you consider that the costs are £55k there is a lot of vat at stake!
The client says that the place she intends to train with are adamant that vat can be claimed as their accountant has told them so. (At least it wasn't the man in the pub!) However I am not so sure. A seminar she attended run by the helicopter school also said that she could get income tax relief - but they would wouldn't they as they want the work! One further complication is that her husband is alraedy a client of mine and in any case where I say no and others say yes then this could mean loss of confidence by the husband and instead of gaining a client I could lose one!
Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am 'my head's in a spin' with this (sorry!).
Thanks in advance.
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 91 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 459 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 141 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 549 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 244 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 90 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 167 3
- Foreign income for self employed 106 1
- tax credits 62 4
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 603 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 49 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 482 10
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 193 1
- EC VAT 223 10
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 217 7
- Musician deductible expenses 96 1
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 103 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 282 8
- Flat rate vat error 346 7
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 547 13
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 851
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 510
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 323
- How to format a stock book 297
- Tax efficient holding company structure 235
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 232
- Investment property company accounts template 221
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 215
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 183
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 153