Input Vat on start-up training course.
Potential new client is going to train to become a helicopter flying instructor. She asks 'can I get income tax relief and can I also claim back the vat I am being charged on this training course which is after all to enable me to become qualified to do so?'
Our answer is that no income tax relief is available on this initial set up training cost, but a cost can be claimed only when and if any further updating of technical skills are required in exactly the same way I undertake CPD. This I believe has always been the case and I have no reason to change my opinion. With regard to the input vat claim my initial reaction was that no vat could be claimed. This was on the grounds that as she can't fly at present then there is a personal motive as well as a business motive. (Unless an apportionment is allowed). Until she qualifies she can't chase for business so there is a problem anyway with intending trader status. I am sure that HMRC would not want to refund tax now if she never fulfills her ambitions. However on second thoughts as the training course lasts for 10 months (it's on an intensive basis) in ten months time if she then registered could she claim? Again as the course was a service the course costs are over the six month limit so still no valid claim BUT if the flying school invoiced monthly she might be able to claim the last six out of ten. Is this a possibility? When you consider that the costs are £55k there is a lot of vat at stake!
The client says that the place she intends to train with are adamant that vat can be claimed as their accountant has told them so. (At least it wasn't the man in the pub!) However I am not so sure. A seminar she attended run by the helicopter school also said that she could get income tax relief - but they would wouldn't they as they want the work! One further complication is that her husband is alraedy a client of mine and in any case where I say no and others say yes then this could mean loss of confidence by the husband and instead of gaining a client I could lose one!
Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am 'my head's in a spin' with this (sorry!).
Thanks in advance.
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 23 1
- Lorry Drivers 205 3
- Undeclared rental income 751 10
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 193 10
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 185 4
- Money laundering POCA 342 7
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 66 1
- Offering Cash Prizes to University Students 116 3
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 358 3
- client threatening legal action 1,963 29
- Incorporation Relief 170 3
- Auto-Enrolment 4,009 187
- Can I claim mileage? 300 6
- limited company for IR35 162 1
- Ir35 test 145 2
- payroll software 266 2
- Mexican student in UK 183 4
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 234 2
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 97 2
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 183 1
- Skandia using wrong address 510
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 285
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 282
- Employee rewards 265
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 239
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 229
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 227
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 176
- LLP in Construction Industry 128