Input Vat on start-up training course.
Potential new client is going to train to become a helicopter flying instructor. She asks 'can I get income tax relief and can I also claim back the vat I am being charged on this training course which is after all to enable me to become qualified to do so?'
Our answer is that no income tax relief is available on this initial set up training cost, but a cost can be claimed only when and if any further updating of technical skills are required in exactly the same way I undertake CPD. This I believe has always been the case and I have no reason to change my opinion. With regard to the input vat claim my initial reaction was that no vat could be claimed. This was on the grounds that as she can't fly at present then there is a personal motive as well as a business motive. (Unless an apportionment is allowed). Until she qualifies she can't chase for business so there is a problem anyway with intending trader status. I am sure that HMRC would not want to refund tax now if she never fulfills her ambitions. However on second thoughts as the training course lasts for 10 months (it's on an intensive basis) in ten months time if she then registered could she claim? Again as the course was a service the course costs are over the six month limit so still no valid claim BUT if the flying school invoiced monthly she might be able to claim the last six out of ten. Is this a possibility? When you consider that the costs are £55k there is a lot of vat at stake!
The client says that the place she intends to train with are adamant that vat can be claimed as their accountant has told them so. (At least it wasn't the man in the pub!) However I am not so sure. A seminar she attended run by the helicopter school also said that she could get income tax relief - but they would wouldn't they as they want the work! One further complication is that her husband is alraedy a client of mine and in any case where I say no and others say yes then this could mean loss of confidence by the husband and instead of gaining a client I could lose one!
Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am 'my head's in a spin' with this (sorry!).
Thanks in advance.
- Director drawings 219 16
- Childcare voucher schemes 26 1
- client can't/won't pay 1,846 40
- Interest Relief 150 5
- What sectors to target? 101 2
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 472 28
- What is the treatment of gains on sale of Options granted in Belgium 26 1
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,560 54
- Rental losses 110 3
- Should i tell HMRC 1,560 14
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 289 2
- Has anyone experience of BPRA? 144 3
- Charitable Company's Accounts 61 1
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 216 8
- Carrying forward self employment losses 174 8
- Client forgot to sign paper return and has gone on holidays 535 19
- Child Benefit Higher Income Tax Charge 122 3
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 98 2
- Balancing allowance/charge calculation on cessation of self-employment 59 1
- how much to charge 264 6
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 900
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 599
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 569
- Latest phishing scam 525
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 371
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 338
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 278
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 197
- Capital allowances in first basis period 178
- Sabbatical payments 169