Input Vat on start-up training course.
Potential new client is going to train to become a helicopter flying instructor. She asks 'can I get income tax relief and can I also claim back the vat I am being charged on this training course which is after all to enable me to become qualified to do so?'
Our answer is that no income tax relief is available on this initial set up training cost, but a cost can be claimed only when and if any further updating of technical skills are required in exactly the same way I undertake CPD. This I believe has always been the case and I have no reason to change my opinion. With regard to the input vat claim my initial reaction was that no vat could be claimed. This was on the grounds that as she can't fly at present then there is a personal motive as well as a business motive. (Unless an apportionment is allowed). Until she qualifies she can't chase for business so there is a problem anyway with intending trader status. I am sure that HMRC would not want to refund tax now if she never fulfills her ambitions. However on second thoughts as the training course lasts for 10 months (it's on an intensive basis) in ten months time if she then registered could she claim? Again as the course was a service the course costs are over the six month limit so still no valid claim BUT if the flying school invoiced monthly she might be able to claim the last six out of ten. Is this a possibility? When you consider that the costs are £55k there is a lot of vat at stake!
The client says that the place she intends to train with are adamant that vat can be claimed as their accountant has told them so. (At least it wasn't the man in the pub!) However I am not so sure. A seminar she attended run by the helicopter school also said that she could get income tax relief - but they would wouldn't they as they want the work! One further complication is that her husband is alraedy a client of mine and in any case where I say no and others say yes then this could mean loss of confidence by the husband and instead of gaining a client I could lose one!
Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am 'my head's in a spin' with this (sorry!).
Thanks in advance.
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 143 1
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 221 9
- How to Value a Business 478 9
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 138 5
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 548 13
- How much did you pay for your website 487 13
- Companies House 148 2
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 117 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 384 7
- Company Pension Contributions 263 6
- Gross Profit Percentage 224 4
- Expenses allowable 173 3
- Let Property Campaign 390 6
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 138 1
- Self employment trap - pension 349 3
- Awkward IP 616 9
- ESC A19 131 2
- When does my Property business start 271 4
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,540 43
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 871 19
- CTA study material 603
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 594
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 368
- Employment related securities question 227
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 200
- ATED Penalties 196
- AIM Stocks and IHT 178
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 137
- Expat pension contributions? 129
- Trust for Employee 126