Input Vat on start-up training course.
Potential new client is going to train to become a helicopter flying instructor. She asks 'can I get income tax relief and can I also claim back the vat I am being charged on this training course which is after all to enable me to become qualified to do so?'
Our answer is that no income tax relief is available on this initial set up training cost, but a cost can be claimed only when and if any further updating of technical skills are required in exactly the same way I undertake CPD. This I believe has always been the case and I have no reason to change my opinion. With regard to the input vat claim my initial reaction was that no vat could be claimed. This was on the grounds that as she can't fly at present then there is a personal motive as well as a business motive. (Unless an apportionment is allowed). Until she qualifies she can't chase for business so there is a problem anyway with intending trader status. I am sure that HMRC would not want to refund tax now if she never fulfills her ambitions. However on second thoughts as the training course lasts for 10 months (it's on an intensive basis) in ten months time if she then registered could she claim? Again as the course was a service the course costs are over the six month limit so still no valid claim BUT if the flying school invoiced monthly she might be able to claim the last six out of ten. Is this a possibility? When you consider that the costs are £55k there is a lot of vat at stake!
The client says that the place she intends to train with are adamant that vat can be claimed as their accountant has told them so. (At least it wasn't the man in the pub!) However I am not so sure. A seminar she attended run by the helicopter school also said that she could get income tax relief - but they would wouldn't they as they want the work! One further complication is that her husband is alraedy a client of mine and in any case where I say no and others say yes then this could mean loss of confidence by the husband and instead of gaining a client I could lose one!
Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am 'my head's in a spin' with this (sorry!).
Thanks in advance.
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,694 21
- Capital gains tax and PPR 130 2
- Badges of trade 66 1
- online accounts and timesheets 61 2
- P11D & tax return 316 11
- Member meet up 1 October in London 364 9
- Seeking advice: Director's claim to money 239 7
- Identify cost savings 240 6
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 479 7
- HMRC AND BAD ORGANIZATION 180 2
- Jobs after completing ACCA 170 2
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 610 11
- are these allowable deductions? 173 1
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 582 12
- Option To Tax - VAT on residential sales? 100 1
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 148 3
- Can Guernsey company have same name as mine 429 7
- Schedule A losses 159 1
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 220 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 844 1
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 439
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 394
- Electric Car 337
- S222 Charge 273
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 242
- AIA 217
- IP trans to holding company 210
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 210
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 172
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 165