Input Vat on start-up training course.
Potential new client is going to train to become a helicopter flying instructor. She asks 'can I get income tax relief and can I also claim back the vat I am being charged on this training course which is after all to enable me to become qualified to do so?'
Our answer is that no income tax relief is available on this initial set up training cost, but a cost can be claimed only when and if any further updating of technical skills are required in exactly the same way I undertake CPD. This I believe has always been the case and I have no reason to change my opinion. With regard to the input vat claim my initial reaction was that no vat could be claimed. This was on the grounds that as she can't fly at present then there is a personal motive as well as a business motive. (Unless an apportionment is allowed). Until she qualifies she can't chase for business so there is a problem anyway with intending trader status. I am sure that HMRC would not want to refund tax now if she never fulfills her ambitions. However on second thoughts as the training course lasts for 10 months (it's on an intensive basis) in ten months time if she then registered could she claim? Again as the course was a service the course costs are over the six month limit so still no valid claim BUT if the flying school invoiced monthly she might be able to claim the last six out of ten. Is this a possibility? When you consider that the costs are £55k there is a lot of vat at stake!
The client says that the place she intends to train with are adamant that vat can be claimed as their accountant has told them so. (At least it wasn't the man in the pub!) However I am not so sure. A seminar she attended run by the helicopter school also said that she could get income tax relief - but they would wouldn't they as they want the work! One further complication is that her husband is alraedy a client of mine and in any case where I say no and others say yes then this could mean loss of confidence by the husband and instead of gaining a client I could lose one!
Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am 'my head's in a spin' with this (sorry!).
Thanks in advance.
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 254 7
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 536 9
- Transferring rental property to limited company 473 14
- Are there Sage Instant Accounts Plus report which give breakdowns of the debtors and creditors control account balances by invoice for each currency? 93 3
- Time recording 141 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 257 4
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 135 2
- Land Registry 269 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 966 13
- Auto Enrolment 670 4
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 805 19
- Company Number 10000000 398 4
- Advertising Tips? 320 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,517 29
- IR35 368 5
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 424 12
- Revenue phishing examples 261 1
- iris update 11.9.2 226 2
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 452 13
- 2015 tax year end 546 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 733
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 435
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 374
- Costly Accounting Software contract 368
- Directors' advances and credits 286
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 260
- DTA tie-breaker issue 251
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 235
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 210
- CGT for NOn UK residents 195