Input Vat on start-up training course.
Potential new client is going to train to become a helicopter flying instructor. She asks 'can I get income tax relief and can I also claim back the vat I am being charged on this training course which is after all to enable me to become qualified to do so?'
Our answer is that no income tax relief is available on this initial set up training cost, but a cost can be claimed only when and if any further updating of technical skills are required in exactly the same way I undertake CPD. This I believe has always been the case and I have no reason to change my opinion. With regard to the input vat claim my initial reaction was that no vat could be claimed. This was on the grounds that as she can't fly at present then there is a personal motive as well as a business motive. (Unless an apportionment is allowed). Until she qualifies she can't chase for business so there is a problem anyway with intending trader status. I am sure that HMRC would not want to refund tax now if she never fulfills her ambitions. However on second thoughts as the training course lasts for 10 months (it's on an intensive basis) in ten months time if she then registered could she claim? Again as the course was a service the course costs are over the six month limit so still no valid claim BUT if the flying school invoiced monthly she might be able to claim the last six out of ten. Is this a possibility? When you consider that the costs are £55k there is a lot of vat at stake!
The client says that the place she intends to train with are adamant that vat can be claimed as their accountant has told them so. (At least it wasn't the man in the pub!) However I am not so sure. A seminar she attended run by the helicopter school also said that she could get income tax relief - but they would wouldn't they as they want the work! One further complication is that her husband is alraedy a client of mine and in any case where I say no and others say yes then this could mean loss of confidence by the husband and instead of gaining a client I could lose one!
Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am 'my head's in a spin' with this (sorry!).
Thanks in advance.
- Home to Office 125 4
- Newly Started Practice 421 10
- Are these allowable capital expenditures for a jewellery retail shop? 172 2
- Property income 105 2
- VAT rules on Compensation invoice to EU company 90 3
- error on companies house accounts 352 9
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 205 5
- Clients 238 4
- Commission on holiday accrual 142 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 186 4
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,436 111
- VAT reclaim on costs incurred for VAT exempt services 103 1
- IR35 calc - which months' E'ees NICs and PAYE to include? 136 3
- Excel 2010 pivot table rows 60 1
- VAT rules on recharge sales invoice 105 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 308 6
- Extension of lease in flat management company 162 2
- Client's company struck off 697 18
- 2010-11 tax return is incorrect 122 1
- Overtime etc for PT employees 219 3
- QROP pension input amounts 482
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 451
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 423
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 273
- EPS and CIS deductions 269
- Construction CIS LLP Company 251
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 220
- SAGE winforecast 186
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 177
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 174