Input Vat on start-up training course.
Potential new client is going to train to become a helicopter flying instructor. She asks 'can I get income tax relief and can I also claim back the vat I am being charged on this training course which is after all to enable me to become qualified to do so?'
Our answer is that no income tax relief is available on this initial set up training cost, but a cost can be claimed only when and if any further updating of technical skills are required in exactly the same way I undertake CPD. This I believe has always been the case and I have no reason to change my opinion. With regard to the input vat claim my initial reaction was that no vat could be claimed. This was on the grounds that as she can't fly at present then there is a personal motive as well as a business motive. (Unless an apportionment is allowed). Until she qualifies she can't chase for business so there is a problem anyway with intending trader status. I am sure that HMRC would not want to refund tax now if she never fulfills her ambitions. However on second thoughts as the training course lasts for 10 months (it's on an intensive basis) in ten months time if she then registered could she claim? Again as the course was a service the course costs are over the six month limit so still no valid claim BUT if the flying school invoiced monthly she might be able to claim the last six out of ten. Is this a possibility? When you consider that the costs are £55k there is a lot of vat at stake!
The client says that the place she intends to train with are adamant that vat can be claimed as their accountant has told them so. (At least it wasn't the man in the pub!) However I am not so sure. A seminar she attended run by the helicopter school also said that she could get income tax relief - but they would wouldn't they as they want the work! One further complication is that her husband is alraedy a client of mine and in any case where I say no and others say yes then this could mean loss of confidence by the husband and instead of gaining a client I could lose one!
Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am 'my head's in a spin' with this (sorry!).
Thanks in advance.
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 142 7
- Where has Portia gone? 4,998 108
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 24 1
- Overlap profit 284 6
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 300 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,052 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 91 1
- Payments on account 155 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 45 1
- What do your junior staff do? 503 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 626 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 392 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 526 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 121 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,922 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 328 3
- On the high seas 104 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 142 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 855 34
- Payroll question 151 2
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 849
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 444
- Sanzar 338
- How do you do it 335
- Digital marketing focus group 310
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 291
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 206
- Fit for purpose 200
- new investor structure 196
- VAT Registration 178