Input Vat on start-up training course.
Potential new client is going to train to become a helicopter flying instructor. She asks 'can I get income tax relief and can I also claim back the vat I am being charged on this training course which is after all to enable me to become qualified to do so?'
Our answer is that no income tax relief is available on this initial set up training cost, but a cost can be claimed only when and if any further updating of technical skills are required in exactly the same way I undertake CPD. This I believe has always been the case and I have no reason to change my opinion. With regard to the input vat claim my initial reaction was that no vat could be claimed. This was on the grounds that as she can't fly at present then there is a personal motive as well as a business motive. (Unless an apportionment is allowed). Until she qualifies she can't chase for business so there is a problem anyway with intending trader status. I am sure that HMRC would not want to refund tax now if she never fulfills her ambitions. However on second thoughts as the training course lasts for 10 months (it's on an intensive basis) in ten months time if she then registered could she claim? Again as the course was a service the course costs are over the six month limit so still no valid claim BUT if the flying school invoiced monthly she might be able to claim the last six out of ten. Is this a possibility? When you consider that the costs are £55k there is a lot of vat at stake!
The client says that the place she intends to train with are adamant that vat can be claimed as their accountant has told them so. (At least it wasn't the man in the pub!) However I am not so sure. A seminar she attended run by the helicopter school also said that she could get income tax relief - but they would wouldn't they as they want the work! One further complication is that her husband is alraedy a client of mine and in any case where I say no and others say yes then this could mean loss of confidence by the husband and instead of gaining a client I could lose one!
Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am 'my head's in a spin' with this (sorry!).
Thanks in advance.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 944 29
- You know its over 327 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 483 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 212 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 165 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 153 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 234 3
- Cocaine anyone? 504 8
- Late Registration for VAT 481 13
- EIS/SEIS 136 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 272 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 410 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 418 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 710 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 551 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 586 4
- Personal pension 399 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 221 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,214 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 168 3
- Hive up 490
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 454
- corporate hierarchy 435
- Advice - 271
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 224
- WWOOFers 217
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 206
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 199
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 176
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 173