Insolvent Client - where do my obligations end?
I have a client that I have been doing the book-keeping and the annual accounts for, for the last 3 years. He is notoriously bad at passing over paperwork to bring his books up to date, but over the last 18 months, he became progressively worse. He has not paid any of my fees for the last 18 months / 2 years, but I felt that I could not abandon him when he really needed help. However, now I simply just don't have the time to spend on something that I know will not be paid for.
The client owes a lot of money in tax and I have advised that I think he is insolvent and should seek advise from an Insolvency Practitioner. Due to the above, the accounts are very behind - nearly up to April 2009 year end but still waiting on answers to lots of queries. I believe that as part of the insolvency process, a statement of affairs has to be produced, which needs to detail the financials as they stand now.
My question is this: Do I have an obligation to carry on working on the accounts, knowing that I am not going to be paid for what I have done already, let alone what I would have to do? What happens with the companies accounts that are due at companies house etc if a company is insolvent and seeking voluntary liquidation?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 495 24
- HMRC SA software error? 97 2
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 227 5
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 160 2
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 248 14
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 147 4
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 155 6
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 962 43
- Treatment of income for sole trader 103 2
- wave software 116 1
- Freelance software consultant 326 5
- client can't/won't pay 301 11
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,142 14
- Window Comb Binder Cover 107 2
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 220 5
- losses carried forward 372 10
- Auto enrolment 1,625 26
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 225 8
- VT 364 7
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 710 18
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 780
- Copy Wanted 497
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 454
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 451
- Latest phishing scam 281
- Entrepreneurs' relief 267
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 262
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 246
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 233
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 229