Insolvent Client - where do my obligations end?
I have a client that I have been doing the book-keeping and the annual accounts for, for the last 3 years. He is notoriously bad at passing over paperwork to bring his books up to date, but over the last 18 months, he became progressively worse. He has not paid any of my fees for the last 18 months / 2 years, but I felt that I could not abandon him when he really needed help. However, now I simply just don't have the time to spend on something that I know will not be paid for.
The client owes a lot of money in tax and I have advised that I think he is insolvent and should seek advise from an Insolvency Practitioner. Due to the above, the accounts are very behind - nearly up to April 2009 year end but still waiting on answers to lots of queries. I believe that as part of the insolvency process, a statement of affairs has to be produced, which needs to detail the financials as they stand now.
My question is this: Do I have an obligation to carry on working on the accounts, knowing that I am not going to be paid for what I have done already, let alone what I would have to do? What happens with the companies accounts that are due at companies house etc if a company is insolvent and seeking voluntary liquidation?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,365 39
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 104 4
- When does my Property business start 132 2
- Employment status 475 9
- Foreign Premium Distributions 150 1
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 780 15
- Company Pension Contributions 163 3
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 128 1
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 377 9
- Seafarers Earnings Deduction - how is Gibraltar treated? 187 5
- Preparing a consolidated TB 145 3
- How to Value a Business 397 7
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 1,118 19
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 127 2
- Fastest Software 528 7
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 2,577 68
- Vat threshold issues 1,458 12
- Charging for book-keeping on a 'per transaction' basis 786 19
- How much did you pay for your website 414 12
- Sage Payroll & NIC 344 7
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 585
- CTA study material 583
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 354
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 282
- Employment related securities question 217
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 190
- ATED Penalties 182
- AIM Stocks and IHT 169
- Trust for Employee 121
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 119