Insolvent Client - where do my obligations end?
I have a client that I have been doing the book-keeping and the annual accounts for, for the last 3 years. He is notoriously bad at passing over paperwork to bring his books up to date, but over the last 18 months, he became progressively worse. He has not paid any of my fees for the last 18 months / 2 years, but I felt that I could not abandon him when he really needed help. However, now I simply just don't have the time to spend on something that I know will not be paid for.
The client owes a lot of money in tax and I have advised that I think he is insolvent and should seek advise from an Insolvency Practitioner. Due to the above, the accounts are very behind - nearly up to April 2009 year end but still waiting on answers to lots of queries. I believe that as part of the insolvency process, a statement of affairs has to be produced, which needs to detail the financials as they stand now.
My question is this: Do I have an obligation to carry on working on the accounts, knowing that I am not going to be paid for what I have done already, let alone what I would have to do? What happens with the companies accounts that are due at companies house etc if a company is insolvent and seeking voluntary liquidation?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
- Entrepreneurs Relief 603 30
- Should I move back home away from my office? 18 1
- More AE! 541 12
- IHT dilemma 1,284 20
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 63 2
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 190 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 379 4
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 1,849 18
- SA -2012_13 return - worth changing? 173 3
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 116 1
- How to filter to show only rows with 'Total' in description? 190 4
- Micro Entity Accounts 294 3
- Aweb tracking ... 240 3
- PAYE 1,347 16
- Self Assessment - Declaring Pension Lump Sum on Tax Return 120 1
- Gifts from limited companies 170 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 367 8
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 355 2
- VAT 127 1
- RTI overpayments gap 245 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,127
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 789
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 472
- Digita Hosted Software 307
- Credit where credit's due....... 250
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 217
- Director phone costs 203
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 176
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 152
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 139