Insolvent Client - where do my obligations end?
I have a client that I have been doing the book-keeping and the annual accounts for, for the last 3 years. He is notoriously bad at passing over paperwork to bring his books up to date, but over the last 18 months, he became progressively worse. He has not paid any of my fees for the last 18 months / 2 years, but I felt that I could not abandon him when he really needed help. However, now I simply just don't have the time to spend on something that I know will not be paid for.
The client owes a lot of money in tax and I have advised that I think he is insolvent and should seek advise from an Insolvency Practitioner. Due to the above, the accounts are very behind - nearly up to April 2009 year end but still waiting on answers to lots of queries. I believe that as part of the insolvency process, a statement of affairs has to be produced, which needs to detail the financials as they stand now.
My question is this: Do I have an obligation to carry on working on the accounts, knowing that I am not going to be paid for what I have done already, let alone what I would have to do? What happens with the companies accounts that are due at companies house etc if a company is insolvent and seeking voluntary liquidation?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
- Do I need to pay my accountant 821 11
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,091 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 100 1
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 641 20
- Audit 86 1
- carry back of gift aid 167 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 290 8
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 473 13
- Awkward IP 1,157 12
- What's in a name ? 939 8
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 842 10
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 176 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 553 11
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 230 3
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 378 6
- Potentially dodgy client 397 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 559 28
- Entrepeneurs relief 455 18
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 399 9
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 543 23
- CTA study material 783
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 425
- Employment related securities question 313
- AIM Stocks and IHT 290
- Expat pension contributions? 267
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 264
- Trust for Employee 247
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 200
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 151