Insolvent Client - where do my obligations end?
I have a client that I have been doing the book-keeping and the annual accounts for, for the last 3 years. He is notoriously bad at passing over paperwork to bring his books up to date, but over the last 18 months, he became progressively worse. He has not paid any of my fees for the last 18 months / 2 years, but I felt that I could not abandon him when he really needed help. However, now I simply just don't have the time to spend on something that I know will not be paid for.
The client owes a lot of money in tax and I have advised that I think he is insolvent and should seek advise from an Insolvency Practitioner. Due to the above, the accounts are very behind - nearly up to April 2009 year end but still waiting on answers to lots of queries. I believe that as part of the insolvency process, a statement of affairs has to be produced, which needs to detail the financials as they stand now.
My question is this: Do I have an obligation to carry on working on the accounts, knowing that I am not going to be paid for what I have done already, let alone what I would have to do? What happens with the companies accounts that are due at companies house etc if a company is insolvent and seeking voluntary liquidation?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,270 33
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 717 15
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,346 28
- Dividend dates 456 8
- R&D tax credit claim 196 5
- PITA client 104 2
- CIS Deductions 261 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 57 1
- is this fraud? 746 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 471 5
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,479 28
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 199 5
- Not a good start no broadband 468 10
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 163 2
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 208 2
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 85 1
- Intrastat triangulation 69 1
- CGT 152 3
- Supplier refund treatment in Sage Line 50 193 4
- Question regarding gym training 391 6
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 592
- Cancelled 343
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 330
- Cancelled 281
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 252
- Probiz 239
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 177
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 174
- Car leasing scheme 168
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 151