Insolvent Client - where do my obligations end?
I have a client that I have been doing the book-keeping and the annual accounts for, for the last 3 years. He is notoriously bad at passing over paperwork to bring his books up to date, but over the last 18 months, he became progressively worse. He has not paid any of my fees for the last 18 months / 2 years, but I felt that I could not abandon him when he really needed help. However, now I simply just don't have the time to spend on something that I know will not be paid for.
The client owes a lot of money in tax and I have advised that I think he is insolvent and should seek advise from an Insolvency Practitioner. Due to the above, the accounts are very behind - nearly up to April 2009 year end but still waiting on answers to lots of queries. I believe that as part of the insolvency process, a statement of affairs has to be produced, which needs to detail the financials as they stand now.
My question is this: Do I have an obligation to carry on working on the accounts, knowing that I am not going to be paid for what I have done already, let alone what I would have to do? What happens with the companies accounts that are due at companies house etc if a company is insolvent and seeking voluntary liquidation?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 45 1
- Regaining my qualification 48 1
- Shareholder agreement 127 3
- Tax code for Companies House fees 107 1
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 188 3
- Company Reorganisation 122 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 624 10
- Employee Loan 162 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 447 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 562 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 103 1
- Wear and tear allowance 443 6
- Accountants' Error 608 12
- Website development costs - tax and accounting treatment 337 6
- Buying accountancy practice 624 10
- Paperless office 1,072 7
- Accountant Error 397 6
- Auto enrolment 144 2
- Subscriptions not on HMRC list of approved bodies 411 5
- Daily Penalties 2012/13 281 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,442
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 750
- Any views 684
- HMRC Employers Diary 519
- International interest certificate 419
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 380
- Sale of business 343
- NOVA 250
- Advertising services? 243
- IRIS Open Books problem 235