Insolvent Client - where do my obligations end?
I have a client that I have been doing the book-keeping and the annual accounts for, for the last 3 years. He is notoriously bad at passing over paperwork to bring his books up to date, but over the last 18 months, he became progressively worse. He has not paid any of my fees for the last 18 months / 2 years, but I felt that I could not abandon him when he really needed help. However, now I simply just don't have the time to spend on something that I know will not be paid for.
The client owes a lot of money in tax and I have advised that I think he is insolvent and should seek advise from an Insolvency Practitioner. Due to the above, the accounts are very behind - nearly up to April 2009 year end but still waiting on answers to lots of queries. I believe that as part of the insolvency process, a statement of affairs has to be produced, which needs to detail the financials as they stand now.
My question is this: Do I have an obligation to carry on working on the accounts, knowing that I am not going to be paid for what I have done already, let alone what I would have to do? What happens with the companies accounts that are due at companies house etc if a company is insolvent and seeking voluntary liquidation?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 813 16
- Cloud accounting package 145 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,005 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 487 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 273 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 174 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 267 6
- Next Move 362 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 399 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 208 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 255 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 342 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 709 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 295 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 184 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,250 34
- Casual Driver 275 4
- Self Assessment Software 634 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 349 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,271 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 632
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Property letting & CAs 377
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 373
- 2015 tax year end 373
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 234
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 225
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 220