Insolvent Client - where do my obligations end?
I have a client that I have been doing the book-keeping and the annual accounts for, for the last 3 years. He is notoriously bad at passing over paperwork to bring his books up to date, but over the last 18 months, he became progressively worse. He has not paid any of my fees for the last 18 months / 2 years, but I felt that I could not abandon him when he really needed help. However, now I simply just don't have the time to spend on something that I know will not be paid for.
The client owes a lot of money in tax and I have advised that I think he is insolvent and should seek advise from an Insolvency Practitioner. Due to the above, the accounts are very behind - nearly up to April 2009 year end but still waiting on answers to lots of queries. I believe that as part of the insolvency process, a statement of affairs has to be produced, which needs to detail the financials as they stand now.
My question is this: Do I have an obligation to carry on working on the accounts, knowing that I am not going to be paid for what I have done already, let alone what I would have to do? What happens with the companies accounts that are due at companies house etc if a company is insolvent and seeking voluntary liquidation?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
- How much does the company pay 808 35
- Which tax returns can I submit? 144 4
- Cocaine anyone? 883 14
- HMRC property income enquiry 443 10
- Proof of identification 110 2
- Anyone else still working this week? 454 14
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 137 4
- Sole Trader change of accounting date 121 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 301 5
- Using home as clients registered address 213 4
- Childcare vouchers 368 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 89 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 87 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 82 1
- two business from one premises 188 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 64 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 248 4
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 370 4
- Merry Christmas 147 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 104 3
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 509
- corporate hierarchy 478
- Advice - 328
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 278
- WWOOFers 266
- The booking.com con 250
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 249
- Cocaine anyone? 234
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 227
- UK State pension paid in NZ 178