Insolvent Client - where do my obligations end?
I have a client that I have been doing the book-keeping and the annual accounts for, for the last 3 years. He is notoriously bad at passing over paperwork to bring his books up to date, but over the last 18 months, he became progressively worse. He has not paid any of my fees for the last 18 months / 2 years, but I felt that I could not abandon him when he really needed help. However, now I simply just don't have the time to spend on something that I know will not be paid for.
The client owes a lot of money in tax and I have advised that I think he is insolvent and should seek advise from an Insolvency Practitioner. Due to the above, the accounts are very behind - nearly up to April 2009 year end but still waiting on answers to lots of queries. I believe that as part of the insolvency process, a statement of affairs has to be produced, which needs to detail the financials as they stand now.
My question is this: Do I have an obligation to carry on working on the accounts, knowing that I am not going to be paid for what I have done already, let alone what I would have to do? What happens with the companies accounts that are due at companies house etc if a company is insolvent and seeking voluntary liquidation?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
- Regular Director bonus 208 4
- Signed accounts for a lender 298 16
- Corporation Tax Software 256 7
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 363 9
- FreeAgent question 293 8
- Mortgage interest 55 1
- How many associated companies 74 1
- New Agency rules - who's responsible? 63 1
- Goodie bag 2,495 68
- Practising options 467 6
- Self-employed or Ltd Company or seek employment 417 10
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 578 5
- Software recommendations? 381 5
- can I approach clients ? 708 10
- Latest scam e-mails 153 1
- BrightPay 956 27
- Budget 2015 predictions 612 14
- Have the new quarterly employer returns been finalised and where do you get them? 206 1
- accounting in estate agents 115 1
- Network marketing client - how does it work? 363 7
- Possible Partnership? 675
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 528
- New Fangled Penalties 461
- Fuming! 448
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 328
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 266
- Moving away from CCH software 248
- Outsource Data Entry 247
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 243
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 192