Insolvent Client - where do my obligations end?
I have a client that I have been doing the book-keeping and the annual accounts for, for the last 3 years. He is notoriously bad at passing over paperwork to bring his books up to date, but over the last 18 months, he became progressively worse. He has not paid any of my fees for the last 18 months / 2 years, but I felt that I could not abandon him when he really needed help. However, now I simply just don't have the time to spend on something that I know will not be paid for.
The client owes a lot of money in tax and I have advised that I think he is insolvent and should seek advise from an Insolvency Practitioner. Due to the above, the accounts are very behind - nearly up to April 2009 year end but still waiting on answers to lots of queries. I believe that as part of the insolvency process, a statement of affairs has to be produced, which needs to detail the financials as they stand now.
My question is this: Do I have an obligation to carry on working on the accounts, knowing that I am not going to be paid for what I have done already, let alone what I would have to do? What happens with the companies accounts that are due at companies house etc if a company is insolvent and seeking voluntary liquidation?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 416 21
- Management Buy Out - shares exchanged 305 20
- Is an IPDI passed to wife on death exempt from IHT 87 1
- Excessive Security 750 32
- Incorporation Fee - What's Non-deductible? 463 9
- Does practical cloud s/w for high transaction volumes exist? 502 24
- Reduce Rate VAT as a developer 113 2
- Fee protection 318 10
- Go Cardless 94 3
- EIS deferral relief 35 1
- Looking for free PDF creator 1,265 41
- Bringing money to Uk 93 1
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,044 31
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 197 3
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 83 3
- VAT Inspection 100 2
- VAT on commission from Oyster card top up, lottery & paypoint 186 1
- LLP classification of division of profit 170 5
- Is it just me 216 6
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 217 12
- Xtuple 485
- Qtac payroll for bureau 325
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 271
- Industrial & Provident Societies 264
- Mehjoo 205
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 205
- New strategic report 161
- Domain name sale and limited company 144
- South African Government Pension 141
- CIS schemes 137