Insolvent Client - where do my obligations end?
I have a client that I have been doing the book-keeping and the annual accounts for, for the last 3 years. He is notoriously bad at passing over paperwork to bring his books up to date, but over the last 18 months, he became progressively worse. He has not paid any of my fees for the last 18 months / 2 years, but I felt that I could not abandon him when he really needed help. However, now I simply just don't have the time to spend on something that I know will not be paid for.
The client owes a lot of money in tax and I have advised that I think he is insolvent and should seek advise from an Insolvency Practitioner. Due to the above, the accounts are very behind - nearly up to April 2009 year end but still waiting on answers to lots of queries. I believe that as part of the insolvency process, a statement of affairs has to be produced, which needs to detail the financials as they stand now.
My question is this: Do I have an obligation to carry on working on the accounts, knowing that I am not going to be paid for what I have done already, let alone what I would have to do? What happens with the companies accounts that are due at companies house etc if a company is insolvent and seeking voluntary liquidation?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
- Anyone come across this shower before? 1,852 35
- Real names 1,108 34
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 488 23
- What are the tax implications of employer paying my tuition fees? 99 1
- Company Secretarial Software 1,363 30
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 653 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 225 7
- Tools for conversion OST to PST files 70 1
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 123 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 277 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,573 19
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,963 17
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,943 11
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 81 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 116 1
- Downloads EU VAT from 1/1/15 162 4
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 108 2
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 88 1
- Tax position re this lease? 163 2
- VAT on Training Courses 141 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 578
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 451
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 351
- IFA incorporation 335
- Sorry ignore me 316
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 277
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 268
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 259
- Cancelled 201
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 171