Insolvent Client - where do my obligations end?
I have a client that I have been doing the book-keeping and the annual accounts for, for the last 3 years. He is notoriously bad at passing over paperwork to bring his books up to date, but over the last 18 months, he became progressively worse. He has not paid any of my fees for the last 18 months / 2 years, but I felt that I could not abandon him when he really needed help. However, now I simply just don't have the time to spend on something that I know will not be paid for.
The client owes a lot of money in tax and I have advised that I think he is insolvent and should seek advise from an Insolvency Practitioner. Due to the above, the accounts are very behind - nearly up to April 2009 year end but still waiting on answers to lots of queries. I believe that as part of the insolvency process, a statement of affairs has to be produced, which needs to detail the financials as they stand now.
My question is this: Do I have an obligation to carry on working on the accounts, knowing that I am not going to be paid for what I have done already, let alone what I would have to do? What happens with the companies accounts that are due at companies house etc if a company is insolvent and seeking voluntary liquidation?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
- Payroo Employer allowance query 143 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,002 32
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 155 4
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 276 4
- Value pricing 691 24
- Reregister for VAT 126 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 195 6
- Weely paid employees 241 3
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 133 3
- Would this save hours of your time? 461 11
- Director's tax return 276 6
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 207 6
- Wrong career 472 18
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 281 7
- Laptop purchase 1,385 20
- PTP software disaster 269 2
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 226 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 102 2
- Tricky VAT question 186 1
- VT accounts licence key 274 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 796
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 550
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 415
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 293
- Free Tax Legislation? 264
- Director Loan account operation 244
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 239
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 236
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 159