Insolvent Client - where do my obligations end?
I have a client that I have been doing the book-keeping and the annual accounts for, for the last 3 years. He is notoriously bad at passing over paperwork to bring his books up to date, but over the last 18 months, he became progressively worse. He has not paid any of my fees for the last 18 months / 2 years, but I felt that I could not abandon him when he really needed help. However, now I simply just don't have the time to spend on something that I know will not be paid for.
The client owes a lot of money in tax and I have advised that I think he is insolvent and should seek advise from an Insolvency Practitioner. Due to the above, the accounts are very behind - nearly up to April 2009 year end but still waiting on answers to lots of queries. I believe that as part of the insolvency process, a statement of affairs has to be produced, which needs to detail the financials as they stand now.
My question is this: Do I have an obligation to carry on working on the accounts, knowing that I am not going to be paid for what I have done already, let alone what I would have to do? What happens with the companies accounts that are due at companies house etc if a company is insolvent and seeking voluntary liquidation?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
- Clearbooks - creating a HP Account 189 8
- CGT on transfer of property 275 16
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 797 15
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 43 1
- The stupidity continues 2,303 100
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 130 2
- Pension Fund Audit for HMRC form APSS106 - suggested program? 41 1
- Excel file Corrupted 130 3
- Benefit in kind but no salary 155 2
- Ishares Ftse 100 (ETF) -Ireland 116 1
- Marketing and email surprises 500 10
- Cis refund for company 171 3
- 45p mileage - stupid question 407 4
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 136 1
- Taxable turnover for VAT registration 220 8
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,480 27
- PRR and Letting relief 126 2
- Do I need to make a P11D provision in Accs? 171 2
- Capital Event? 152 4
- Transfer of property to director & shareholder 104 1
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 457
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 451
- WIP Software 317
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 301
- No payroll scheme in place 258
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 251
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 233
- Is there anything wrong with this? 230
- Small Part Disposal of Property 209
- Uncommercial property business 203