Insolvent Client - where do my obligations end?
I have a client that I have been doing the book-keeping and the annual accounts for, for the last 3 years. He is notoriously bad at passing over paperwork to bring his books up to date, but over the last 18 months, he became progressively worse. He has not paid any of my fees for the last 18 months / 2 years, but I felt that I could not abandon him when he really needed help. However, now I simply just don't have the time to spend on something that I know will not be paid for.
The client owes a lot of money in tax and I have advised that I think he is insolvent and should seek advise from an Insolvency Practitioner. Due to the above, the accounts are very behind - nearly up to April 2009 year end but still waiting on answers to lots of queries. I believe that as part of the insolvency process, a statement of affairs has to be produced, which needs to detail the financials as they stand now.
My question is this: Do I have an obligation to carry on working on the accounts, knowing that I am not going to be paid for what I have done already, let alone what I would have to do? What happens with the companies accounts that are due at companies house etc if a company is insolvent and seeking voluntary liquidation?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 286 7
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 241 10
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 225 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 92 1
- General tax book with planning 221 5
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 140 3
- tax on apprenticeship income 188 1
- are receipts needed? 529 14
- Gift of property & improvements 148 3
- VAT Invoice 204 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 277 5
- Error in past Corporate tax return 377 6
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,267 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 310 11
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 819 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 139 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 258 3
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 175 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 476 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 404 8
- Skandia using wrong address 1,622
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 903
- International interest certificate 514
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 305
- Management expenses for investment company 269
- Bonus Bonds 263
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 177
- P11D benefit received by widow 153
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 148