Insolvent Client - where do my obligations end?
I have a client that I have been doing the book-keeping and the annual accounts for, for the last 3 years. He is notoriously bad at passing over paperwork to bring his books up to date, but over the last 18 months, he became progressively worse. He has not paid any of my fees for the last 18 months / 2 years, but I felt that I could not abandon him when he really needed help. However, now I simply just don't have the time to spend on something that I know will not be paid for.
The client owes a lot of money in tax and I have advised that I think he is insolvent and should seek advise from an Insolvency Practitioner. Due to the above, the accounts are very behind - nearly up to April 2009 year end but still waiting on answers to lots of queries. I believe that as part of the insolvency process, a statement of affairs has to be produced, which needs to detail the financials as they stand now.
My question is this: Do I have an obligation to carry on working on the accounts, knowing that I am not going to be paid for what I have done already, let alone what I would have to do? What happens with the companies accounts that are due at companies house etc if a company is insolvent and seeking voluntary liquidation?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
- VAT Margin Scheme for Second Hand Watches 19 1
- Late P45 157 4
- Know it alls (who don't) 443 12
- Share swap 381 12
- CIC accounts submission 65 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 578 20
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 61 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 200 5
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 412 9
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 261 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,490 44
- What does it mean?? 462 12
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 1,056 13
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 229 4
- VAT & Landlords 208 6
- Make an adjustment to profits chargeable to class 4 nic 105 2
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 170 5
- Tax advice person/business 251 2
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 735 15
- Extraction of Factory from Trading Company and Leaseback 108 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,563
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 862
- International interest certificate 475
- NOVA 332
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 247
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 234
- Management expenses for investment company 223
- Bonus Bonds 216
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 203
- Check my logic on this please? 186