My client is sufferring in the current economic climate.
The good news is that they are continuing to get orders, their customers are paying on time and they are only a couple of months behind paying trade creditors. The P&L shows a small profit. However, they owe HMRC re PAYE, VAT & Corporation tax. They had a payment plan in place and were keeping up with the payments until last September. They have only made minimal payments since then.
They are in the process of trying to sell their house and will use some of the funds to repay the HMRC debt (they have a substantial amount of equity in the house).
Could they be prosecuted for wrongful trading as the company doesn't have the money to pay HMRC? Would the fact that the directors are trying to raise the money to pay the debt be sufficient to say that the company is a going concern? The bank is supporting them and has recently given them a loan, with personal guarantees from the directors.
Should they speak to an IP? They want to avoid incurring these costs if they can avoid it.
- Lease 39 1
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 158 5
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 106 4
- Digita Hosted Software 367 2
- VAT Office Grimsby 88 2
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 354 8
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 81 2
- Thin Client recomendation 154 2
- format cell to exclude decimals 274 15
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 107 2
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 1,251 15
- Homing sandwiches 825 19
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 238 2
- SUSPECTED OR INVALID BENEFIT FRAUD 209 2
- Client needs a UK tax residency certificate for Spanish tax authorities 92 2
- IT advisory questions? 405 11
- Direct debit entry query 150 4
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 798 12
- Can you help me spot errors? 220 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,201 18
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,295
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 846
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 537
- Credit where credit's due....... 329
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 251
- TheTax Donut 216
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 178
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 164
- Director's business mileage 141
- Sole trader CPD 137