My client is sufferring in the current economic climate.
The good news is that they are continuing to get orders, their customers are paying on time and they are only a couple of months behind paying trade creditors. The P&L shows a small profit. However, they owe HMRC re PAYE, VAT & Corporation tax. They had a payment plan in place and were keeping up with the payments until last September. They have only made minimal payments since then.
They are in the process of trying to sell their house and will use some of the funds to repay the HMRC debt (they have a substantial amount of equity in the house).
Could they be prosecuted for wrongful trading as the company doesn't have the money to pay HMRC? Would the fact that the directors are trying to raise the money to pay the debt be sufficient to say that the company is a going concern? The bank is supporting them and has recently given them a loan, with personal guarantees from the directors.
Should they speak to an IP? They want to avoid incurring these costs if they can avoid it.
- Closing my business down 70 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 839 34
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 267 6
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 261 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 191 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 93 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 586 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,240 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,466 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 186 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 98 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 285 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 85 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,092 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 410 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 149 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 219 3
- FPS or EPS 167 2
- Continuity of Practice 218 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 142 2
- Moving away from CCH software 953
- QROP pension input amounts 440
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 382
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 357
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 325
- fraud 284
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 259
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 228
- Construction CIS LLP Company 212
- EPS and CIS deductions 200