My client is sufferring in the current economic climate.
The good news is that they are continuing to get orders, their customers are paying on time and they are only a couple of months behind paying trade creditors. The P&L shows a small profit. However, they owe HMRC re PAYE, VAT & Corporation tax. They had a payment plan in place and were keeping up with the payments until last September. They have only made minimal payments since then.
They are in the process of trying to sell their house and will use some of the funds to repay the HMRC debt (they have a substantial amount of equity in the house).
Could they be prosecuted for wrongful trading as the company doesn't have the money to pay HMRC? Would the fact that the directors are trying to raise the money to pay the debt be sufficient to say that the company is a going concern? The bank is supporting them and has recently given them a loan, with personal guarantees from the directors.
Should they speak to an IP? They want to avoid incurring these costs if they can avoid it.
- Bank account frozen 162 4
- Can employer reduce my ACCA tuition fees? 45 1
- Comment Deletion 65 1
- change director details just before striking-off 123 2
- Concurrent users 762 10
- owner paying for purchases and other expenses from personal account 193 4
- Where to enter asset disposal proceeds on CT600 97 1
- Charity Account-independent examiner 199 3
- VAT on Second Hand Touring Caravans 221 7
- Set-off interest received against interest paid? 106 1
- VAT and selling on Amazon 99 1
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 879 26
- Writing Website Content 683 23
- Share valuation upon death of shareholder 127 2
- Pension contributions and childcare vouchers 182 4
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 252 2
- Badges of trade 358 6
- Can HMRC charge penalties now for a tax return due for 2005? 294 4
- CT61 Interest - Is it voluntary? 150 2
- AIA 356 5
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 452
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 422
- Electric Car 357
- S222 Charge 284
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 263
- IP trans to holding company 219
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 205
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 195
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 166
- Simple Partnership Agreement Template 164