My client is sufferring in the current economic climate.
The good news is that they are continuing to get orders, their customers are paying on time and they are only a couple of months behind paying trade creditors. The P&L shows a small profit. However, they owe HMRC re PAYE, VAT & Corporation tax. They had a payment plan in place and were keeping up with the payments until last September. They have only made minimal payments since then.
They are in the process of trying to sell their house and will use some of the funds to repay the HMRC debt (they have a substantial amount of equity in the house).
Could they be prosecuted for wrongful trading as the company doesn't have the money to pay HMRC? Would the fact that the directors are trying to raise the money to pay the debt be sufficient to say that the company is a going concern? The bank is supporting them and has recently given them a loan, with personal guarantees from the directors.
Should they speak to an IP? They want to avoid incurring these costs if they can avoid it.
- client threatening legal action 1,786 27
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 665 8
- Partially exempt? 234 9
- Reclaiming EU VAT on fuel and expenses 82 1
- First VAT Visit for client 212 4
- Dividend in specie 222 7
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 156 8
- Lorry Drivers 131 2
- Redundancy payment added to p45 72 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 82 1
- Mexican student in UK 113 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 193 3
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 291 12
- payroll software 108 1
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,047 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 95 1
- Pricing 329 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 245 5
- VAT 115 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 849 18
- Skandia using wrong address 483
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 278
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 272
- Employee rewards 257
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 222
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 215
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 213
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 208
- Etax Australian 169
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 158