My client is sufferring in the current economic climate.
The good news is that they are continuing to get orders, their customers are paying on time and they are only a couple of months behind paying trade creditors. The P&L shows a small profit. However, they owe HMRC re PAYE, VAT & Corporation tax. They had a payment plan in place and were keeping up with the payments until last September. They have only made minimal payments since then.
They are in the process of trying to sell their house and will use some of the funds to repay the HMRC debt (they have a substantial amount of equity in the house).
Could they be prosecuted for wrongful trading as the company doesn't have the money to pay HMRC? Would the fact that the directors are trying to raise the money to pay the debt be sufficient to say that the company is a going concern? The bank is supporting them and has recently given them a loan, with personal guarantees from the directors.
Should they speak to an IP? They want to avoid incurring these costs if they can avoid it.
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 79 1
- Hmrc software 185 3
- Mehjoo 245 1
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 178 2
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 75 1
- SA302 251 4
- Hosted email exchange 165 5
- South African Government Pension 175 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 149 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 252 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 290 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 231 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 141 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 271 7
- New Email Extensions 177 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 302 2
- Dental practice incorpration 145 1
- Audit rules 174 4
- Go Cardless 300 8
- business entertaining deductibility 171 1
- Xtuple 503
- Qtac payroll for bureau 342
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 288
- Industrial & Provident Societies 281
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 224
- Domain name sale and limited company 165
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 161
- CIS schemes 159
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 148
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 137