inter-company payments on behalf of other companies
I do accounting for a group of companies, all of whom are under the control of a group of 4 directors. There are often transfers of money between the companies in order to help pay off invoices etc, and usually this is a simple transfer of money on a tax code of T9 (no tax paid on these transfers) as opposed to the most used tax code we use of T1 (17.5% VAT). One of the companies does very little trade (say company A) and has few invoices, but recently we made a payment to company X which was more than the amount of money sitting in its bank account. My director told me to simply make a payment directly from our company B's bank account. However, now I can't clear the outstanding invoices on company A's account with differeing tax codes; there is an internal credit note on our account with company X for the amount that I wanted to pay (it covered about 5 invoices) which goes to the nominal code that we use for intercompany transfers. This credit note has a tax code of T9 relating to the untaxed transfer. However, now I can't pick up that credit note and allocate it to the 5 invoices, as they are standard tax invoices from the supplier, company X, on a tax code T1, so they can't be paid off with the internal credit note. Is there a way to do this?
I can't really receipt a payment directly into company A's account as that isn't what happened, the money left company B's account to pay company X on behalf of company A. Anyway, it would be on a T9 tax code, and I couldn't then apply any money to the invoices as there would be no money leaving company A's bank account to be applied to these 5 invoices in the bank rec.
I am fairly new to accounting, as is probably obvious, so any help, in fairly simple terms, would really help!
- New Starter Checklist 232 9
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 405 7
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 744 22
- Goodwill complications 323 7
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 513 21
- TaxCalc Accounts production 215 3
- HMRC Distraint 213 2
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 191 2
- Will I need to resign? 636 9
- Old CGT loss 296 8
- What are the implications for a UK company director resident in Canada 111 3
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 359 8
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 421 7
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 1,037 16
- How to explain this to someone 216 1
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,417 20
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 146 5
- Should Nominal Ledger be given to new accountant 633 15
- Charges for VAT MOSS 224 1
- Limited company purchase of property 509 4