I know I have posted on this topic before and in my recent post (Sinking without a Trace) I have pledged to "grow some" and stand up to clients who are taking the proverbial but...
I have two clients for whom I have completed the accounts, mostly and now they have the information they wanted (in one case an estimated Net Profit for a mortgage application, and the other the amount of corporation tax due for the year), they are refusing to respond to emails sent requesting a last few pieces of information required to complete the accounts and thus raise my invoice. I know I should be billing up front and collecting Direct Debits and I am tackling this client by client. But in the meantime:
1. For the client who has 2 small queries outstanding and has his mortgage reference, but the accounts are not completed would it be acceptable to send him an invoice for a % of the work completed? This was a substantial job and because the mortgage reference was required asap I (foolishly) prioritised it. It's been several weeks since the final review meeting which highlighed a couple of small points that required clarification. Otherwise 90% of the work is completed.
2. For the client who wanted to know their corporation tax bill for the year, they again wanted their accounts completed asap. I attended a year end review meeting, which one of the directors decided not to attend at the last minute, but the other director happily signed off the accounts. The following day the other director (who could not attend) sent me an email with a list of queries and has requested that the accounts were not filed until the issues were resolved. This has been rambling on for 2 weeks now, and the invoice I raised (the day the accounts were signed off) is overdue for payment. As the accounts have not been filed, is it acceptable for me to chase for payment?
I will be insisting that both clients pay monthly in advance next year or seek a new accountant as I'm sick of dealing with these people.
Thank you in advance for all advice.
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 249 6
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 557 37
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,135 35
- Faxpay in the 21st century 62 3
- Accounting for investment club gains 58 1
- Associations tax regime for Saturday school 676 7
- Income tax exemption on woodlands 165 5
- Moving from Sage payroll to Iris Payroll 111 3
- Is it just me 284 7
- LLP classification of division of profit 185 7
- I know this has been done to death but IRIS / DIGITA / CCH??? 492 9
- Management Buy Out - shares exchanged 321 22
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 127 5
- Is an IPDI passed to wife on death exempt from IHT 97 1
- Excessive Security 777 32
- Incorporation Fee - What's Non-deductible? 479 9
- Does practical cloud s/w for high transaction volumes exist? 507 24
- Reduce Rate VAT as a developer 124 2
- Fee protection 331 10
- Go Cardless 130 3
- Xtuple 485
- Qtac payroll for bureau 326
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 271
- Industrial & Provident Societies 266
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 210
- Mehjoo 209
- New strategic report 163
- Domain name sale and limited company 146
- South African Government Pension 144
- CIS schemes 139