I know I have posted on this topic before and in my recent post (Sinking without a Trace) I have pledged to "grow some" and stand up to clients who are taking the proverbial but...
I have two clients for whom I have completed the accounts, mostly and now they have the information they wanted (in one case an estimated Net Profit for a mortgage application, and the other the amount of corporation tax due for the year), they are refusing to respond to emails sent requesting a last few pieces of information required to complete the accounts and thus raise my invoice. I know I should be billing up front and collecting Direct Debits and I am tackling this client by client. But in the meantime:
1. For the client who has 2 small queries outstanding and has his mortgage reference, but the accounts are not completed would it be acceptable to send him an invoice for a % of the work completed? This was a substantial job and because the mortgage reference was required asap I (foolishly) prioritised it. It's been several weeks since the final review meeting which highlighed a couple of small points that required clarification. Otherwise 90% of the work is completed.
2. For the client who wanted to know their corporation tax bill for the year, they again wanted their accounts completed asap. I attended a year end review meeting, which one of the directors decided not to attend at the last minute, but the other director happily signed off the accounts. The following day the other director (who could not attend) sent me an email with a list of queries and has requested that the accounts were not filed until the issues were resolved. This has been rambling on for 2 weeks now, and the invoice I raised (the day the accounts were signed off) is overdue for payment. As the accounts have not been filed, is it acceptable for me to chase for payment?
I will be insisting that both clients pay monthly in advance next year or seek a new accountant as I'm sick of dealing with these people.
Thank you in advance for all advice.
- Company formation and bank account 174 6
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,512 44
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 469 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 383 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 161 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 389 8
- OneNote is fantastic 448 11
- VAT Direct Debit 348 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 433 8
- Self Assessment Software 676 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 429 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,347 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 226 11
- Owning overseas property 218 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 324 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 278 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 685 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,143 21
- PPR on a development? 236 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 423 7
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 648
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 398
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 386
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 379
- 2015 tax year end 379
- FCA regulated company in a small group 338
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 247
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 235
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 229