I know I have posted on this topic before and in my recent post (Sinking without a Trace) I have pledged to "grow some" and stand up to clients who are taking the proverbial but...
I have two clients for whom I have completed the accounts, mostly and now they have the information they wanted (in one case an estimated Net Profit for a mortgage application, and the other the amount of corporation tax due for the year), they are refusing to respond to emails sent requesting a last few pieces of information required to complete the accounts and thus raise my invoice. I know I should be billing up front and collecting Direct Debits and I am tackling this client by client. But in the meantime:
1. For the client who has 2 small queries outstanding and has his mortgage reference, but the accounts are not completed would it be acceptable to send him an invoice for a % of the work completed? This was a substantial job and because the mortgage reference was required asap I (foolishly) prioritised it. It's been several weeks since the final review meeting which highlighed a couple of small points that required clarification. Otherwise 90% of the work is completed.
2. For the client who wanted to know their corporation tax bill for the year, they again wanted their accounts completed asap. I attended a year end review meeting, which one of the directors decided not to attend at the last minute, but the other director happily signed off the accounts. The following day the other director (who could not attend) sent me an email with a list of queries and has requested that the accounts were not filed until the issues were resolved. This has been rambling on for 2 weeks now, and the invoice I raised (the day the accounts were signed off) is overdue for payment. As the accounts have not been filed, is it acceptable for me to chase for payment?
I will be insisting that both clients pay monthly in advance next year or seek a new accountant as I'm sick of dealing with these people.
Thank you in advance for all advice.
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,765 27
- Value pricing 230 9
- Undeclared Self Employment 1,559 12
- Audit Required 107 3
- company secretarial software 141 2
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 148 3
- Elective DeductionsModel 63 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 187 1
- Rental Income 301 6
- Payroll 2012/13 105 1
- I have a pain 696 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 83 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 174 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 735 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 122 3
- Cash flow 147 2
- New use of home - simplified method 250 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 268 5
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 398 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,958 32
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 732
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 500
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 345
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 342
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 263
- VAT on Gaming Machines 211
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 199
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 187
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 177
- Director Loan account operation 150