I know I have posted on this topic before and in my recent post (Sinking without a Trace) I have pledged to "grow some" and stand up to clients who are taking the proverbial but...
I have two clients for whom I have completed the accounts, mostly and now they have the information they wanted (in one case an estimated Net Profit for a mortgage application, and the other the amount of corporation tax due for the year), they are refusing to respond to emails sent requesting a last few pieces of information required to complete the accounts and thus raise my invoice. I know I should be billing up front and collecting Direct Debits and I am tackling this client by client. But in the meantime:
1. For the client who has 2 small queries outstanding and has his mortgage reference, but the accounts are not completed would it be acceptable to send him an invoice for a % of the work completed? This was a substantial job and because the mortgage reference was required asap I (foolishly) prioritised it. It's been several weeks since the final review meeting which highlighed a couple of small points that required clarification. Otherwise 90% of the work is completed.
2. For the client who wanted to know their corporation tax bill for the year, they again wanted their accounts completed asap. I attended a year end review meeting, which one of the directors decided not to attend at the last minute, but the other director happily signed off the accounts. The following day the other director (who could not attend) sent me an email with a list of queries and has requested that the accounts were not filed until the issues were resolved. This has been rambling on for 2 weeks now, and the invoice I raised (the day the accounts were signed off) is overdue for payment. As the accounts have not been filed, is it acceptable for me to chase for payment?
I will be insisting that both clients pay monthly in advance next year or seek a new accountant as I'm sick of dealing with these people.
Thank you in advance for all advice.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 476 5
- See you all on the other side 619 6
- 12Pay 341 2
- dividends 465 2
- R&D 266 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,128 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 408 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 344 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 291 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 508 5
- Seeking a tax case 577 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 434 4
- Companies house strike off 419 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 332 2
- Moving to the cloud 704 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 202 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 855 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 189 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,069 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 450 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 543
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 411
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 361
- IRIS and FRS 102 342
- Capitalising Finance Lease 307
- USA help 305
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 278
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 272
- Capital gains on rental property 247
- Sage Coretime 228