I know I have posted on this topic before and in my recent post (Sinking without a Trace) I have pledged to "grow some" and stand up to clients who are taking the proverbial but...
I have two clients for whom I have completed the accounts, mostly and now they have the information they wanted (in one case an estimated Net Profit for a mortgage application, and the other the amount of corporation tax due for the year), they are refusing to respond to emails sent requesting a last few pieces of information required to complete the accounts and thus raise my invoice. I know I should be billing up front and collecting Direct Debits and I am tackling this client by client. But in the meantime:
1. For the client who has 2 small queries outstanding and has his mortgage reference, but the accounts are not completed would it be acceptable to send him an invoice for a % of the work completed? This was a substantial job and because the mortgage reference was required asap I (foolishly) prioritised it. It's been several weeks since the final review meeting which highlighed a couple of small points that required clarification. Otherwise 90% of the work is completed.
2. For the client who wanted to know their corporation tax bill for the year, they again wanted their accounts completed asap. I attended a year end review meeting, which one of the directors decided not to attend at the last minute, but the other director happily signed off the accounts. The following day the other director (who could not attend) sent me an email with a list of queries and has requested that the accounts were not filed until the issues were resolved. This has been rambling on for 2 weeks now, and the invoice I raised (the day the accounts were signed off) is overdue for payment. As the accounts have not been filed, is it acceptable for me to chase for payment?
I will be insisting that both clients pay monthly in advance next year or seek a new accountant as I'm sick of dealing with these people.
Thank you in advance for all advice.
- Freehold Property Depreciation 322 15
- VAT - E-commerce site (middle man only) - like Not on the high street 77 2
- More Auto enrolment (sorry) 578 2
- Relevant life plan 115 2
- Claiming VAT without invoice 234 4
- Non domicile swiss bank 37 1
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 392 9
- Accounting for Film Rights 113 4
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 193 2
- Advice needed for Annual Accounting Period - companies house 195 7
- Limited Company expenses 202 6
- How best to declare a mistake on a tax return by previous agent 287 3
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 281 5
- Software recommendations? 234 3
- UK taxation of income from property in Cyprus 116 2
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 329 3
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 560 16
- Shares paid - petty cash 217 4
- Is an ex-gratia payment to a company taxable 175 5
- Charity accounting 185 5
- Possible Partnership? 573
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 491
- New Fangled Penalties 375
- Clubs and Taxable Income 306
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 282
- Loans to other companies 231
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 225
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 196
- Outsource Data Entry 188
- Moving away from CCH software 172