I know I have posted on this topic before and in my recent post (Sinking without a Trace) I have pledged to "grow some" and stand up to clients who are taking the proverbial but...
I have two clients for whom I have completed the accounts, mostly and now they have the information they wanted (in one case an estimated Net Profit for a mortgage application, and the other the amount of corporation tax due for the year), they are refusing to respond to emails sent requesting a last few pieces of information required to complete the accounts and thus raise my invoice. I know I should be billing up front and collecting Direct Debits and I am tackling this client by client. But in the meantime:
1. For the client who has 2 small queries outstanding and has his mortgage reference, but the accounts are not completed would it be acceptable to send him an invoice for a % of the work completed? This was a substantial job and because the mortgage reference was required asap I (foolishly) prioritised it. It's been several weeks since the final review meeting which highlighed a couple of small points that required clarification. Otherwise 90% of the work is completed.
2. For the client who wanted to know their corporation tax bill for the year, they again wanted their accounts completed asap. I attended a year end review meeting, which one of the directors decided not to attend at the last minute, but the other director happily signed off the accounts. The following day the other director (who could not attend) sent me an email with a list of queries and has requested that the accounts were not filed until the issues were resolved. This has been rambling on for 2 weeks now, and the invoice I raised (the day the accounts were signed off) is overdue for payment. As the accounts have not been filed, is it acceptable for me to chase for payment?
I will be insisting that both clients pay monthly in advance next year or seek a new accountant as I'm sick of dealing with these people.
Thank you in advance for all advice.
- Accountant Specialization. 213 2
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 150 4
- No presenter ID for Companies House - ixbrl 95 1
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 140 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 143 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 413 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 56 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 574 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 657 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 99 2
- Freelance/Employee 619 15
- Agent Authorisation Issue 160 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 309 6
- Is it just me ... 237 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 274 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 101 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 330 10
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 216 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,507 18
- R&D - HMRC Manual 117 2
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 744
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 404
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 351
- Electric Car 287
- S222 Charge 237
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 183
- IP trans to holding company 182
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 169
- AIA 163
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 154