I know I have posted on this topic before and in my recent post (Sinking without a Trace) I have pledged to "grow some" and stand up to clients who are taking the proverbial but...
I have two clients for whom I have completed the accounts, mostly and now they have the information they wanted (in one case an estimated Net Profit for a mortgage application, and the other the amount of corporation tax due for the year), they are refusing to respond to emails sent requesting a last few pieces of information required to complete the accounts and thus raise my invoice. I know I should be billing up front and collecting Direct Debits and I am tackling this client by client. But in the meantime:
1. For the client who has 2 small queries outstanding and has his mortgage reference, but the accounts are not completed would it be acceptable to send him an invoice for a % of the work completed? This was a substantial job and because the mortgage reference was required asap I (foolishly) prioritised it. It's been several weeks since the final review meeting which highlighed a couple of small points that required clarification. Otherwise 90% of the work is completed.
2. For the client who wanted to know their corporation tax bill for the year, they again wanted their accounts completed asap. I attended a year end review meeting, which one of the directors decided not to attend at the last minute, but the other director happily signed off the accounts. The following day the other director (who could not attend) sent me an email with a list of queries and has requested that the accounts were not filed until the issues were resolved. This has been rambling on for 2 weeks now, and the invoice I raised (the day the accounts were signed off) is overdue for payment. As the accounts have not been filed, is it acceptable for me to chase for payment?
I will be insisting that both clients pay monthly in advance next year or seek a new accountant as I'm sick of dealing with these people.
Thank you in advance for all advice.
- hMRand Customs Powers of Arrest 2,755 23
- Running two businesses from the same premises 20 1
- Late Registration for VAT 156 5
- Registering a company late 215 6
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 254 4
- physiotherapy clinic 544 3
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,893 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 70 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,000 25
- Deferred Tax 102 1
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 57 1
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 401 7
- How much of your work is admin? 145 1
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,786 19
- Goodwill complications 142 2
- Personal pension 209 3
- Practical Courses - Accounts Prep 168 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 290 7
- IRIS Accounts Production - Dividends shown in P&L? 246 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 982 26
- TheTax Donut 1,005
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 665
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 616
- Follower cases 481
- Limited company purchase of property 408
- Hive up 404
- corporate hierarchy 375
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 371
- LIVE chat, starting now 314
- AIA or IFA 205