I know I have posted on this topic before and in my recent post (Sinking without a Trace) I have pledged to "grow some" and stand up to clients who are taking the proverbial but...
I have two clients for whom I have completed the accounts, mostly and now they have the information they wanted (in one case an estimated Net Profit for a mortgage application, and the other the amount of corporation tax due for the year), they are refusing to respond to emails sent requesting a last few pieces of information required to complete the accounts and thus raise my invoice. I know I should be billing up front and collecting Direct Debits and I am tackling this client by client. But in the meantime:
1. For the client who has 2 small queries outstanding and has his mortgage reference, but the accounts are not completed would it be acceptable to send him an invoice for a % of the work completed? This was a substantial job and because the mortgage reference was required asap I (foolishly) prioritised it. It's been several weeks since the final review meeting which highlighed a couple of small points that required clarification. Otherwise 90% of the work is completed.
2. For the client who wanted to know their corporation tax bill for the year, they again wanted their accounts completed asap. I attended a year end review meeting, which one of the directors decided not to attend at the last minute, but the other director happily signed off the accounts. The following day the other director (who could not attend) sent me an email with a list of queries and has requested that the accounts were not filed until the issues were resolved. This has been rambling on for 2 weeks now, and the invoice I raised (the day the accounts were signed off) is overdue for payment. As the accounts have not been filed, is it acceptable for me to chase for payment?
I will be insisting that both clients pay monthly in advance next year or seek a new accountant as I'm sick of dealing with these people.
Thank you in advance for all advice.
- ACCA practice certificates 48 1
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 186 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,084 32
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 165 2
- What would you do in this situation? 684 14
- Dress code 507 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 522 16
- Project being run jointly 214 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 320 4
- Companies House 617 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 376 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 741 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,454 25
- Help Required 432 10
- directors control and tax problems 327 5
- Fastest Software 812 13
- What's in a name ? 418 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 333 4
- Bulk Invoicing 200 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 196 3
- CTA study material 718
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 441
- Employment related securities question 278
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 271
- AIM Stocks and IHT 256
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 234
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 219
- Expat pension contributions? 208
- Trust for Employee 205
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 190