I know I have posted on this topic before and in my recent post (Sinking without a Trace) I have pledged to "grow some" and stand up to clients who are taking the proverbial but...
I have two clients for whom I have completed the accounts, mostly and now they have the information they wanted (in one case an estimated Net Profit for a mortgage application, and the other the amount of corporation tax due for the year), they are refusing to respond to emails sent requesting a last few pieces of information required to complete the accounts and thus raise my invoice. I know I should be billing up front and collecting Direct Debits and I am tackling this client by client. But in the meantime:
1. For the client who has 2 small queries outstanding and has his mortgage reference, but the accounts are not completed would it be acceptable to send him an invoice for a % of the work completed? This was a substantial job and because the mortgage reference was required asap I (foolishly) prioritised it. It's been several weeks since the final review meeting which highlighed a couple of small points that required clarification. Otherwise 90% of the work is completed.
2. For the client who wanted to know their corporation tax bill for the year, they again wanted their accounts completed asap. I attended a year end review meeting, which one of the directors decided not to attend at the last minute, but the other director happily signed off the accounts. The following day the other director (who could not attend) sent me an email with a list of queries and has requested that the accounts were not filed until the issues were resolved. This has been rambling on for 2 weeks now, and the invoice I raised (the day the accounts were signed off) is overdue for payment. As the accounts have not been filed, is it acceptable for me to chase for payment?
I will be insisting that both clients pay monthly in advance next year or seek a new accountant as I'm sick of dealing with these people.
Thank you in advance for all advice.
- HMRC computer behind the times 16 1
- fraud 357 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 180 3
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 114 2
- Which purchase date should I consider in the asset register 182 2
- UK property, split year non-UK reisdent help 76 1
- VAT on employee loan 347 6
- Interest, surcharges and interest on late payment of tax 152 3
- Travel expenses from Spain to the UK - tax deductible ? 283 9
- Auto enrolment 1,479 14
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 173 3
- Client's company struck off 612 17
- Extension of lease in flat management company 109 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 201 7
- Does a building subcontractor charge VAT on his labour on a new-build? 351 9
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 115 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 205 3
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 145 3
- Anyone had this problem?? 729 19
- Input VAT suffered in EU 162 3
- QROP pension input amounts 472
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 429
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 410
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 260
- EPS and CIS deductions 251
- Construction CIS LLP Company 243
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 202
- SAGE winforecast 175
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 168
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 158