I know I have posted on this topic before and in my recent post (Sinking without a Trace) I have pledged to "grow some" and stand up to clients who are taking the proverbial but...
I have two clients for whom I have completed the accounts, mostly and now they have the information they wanted (in one case an estimated Net Profit for a mortgage application, and the other the amount of corporation tax due for the year), they are refusing to respond to emails sent requesting a last few pieces of information required to complete the accounts and thus raise my invoice. I know I should be billing up front and collecting Direct Debits and I am tackling this client by client. But in the meantime:
1. For the client who has 2 small queries outstanding and has his mortgage reference, but the accounts are not completed would it be acceptable to send him an invoice for a % of the work completed? This was a substantial job and because the mortgage reference was required asap I (foolishly) prioritised it. It's been several weeks since the final review meeting which highlighed a couple of small points that required clarification. Otherwise 90% of the work is completed.
2. For the client who wanted to know their corporation tax bill for the year, they again wanted their accounts completed asap. I attended a year end review meeting, which one of the directors decided not to attend at the last minute, but the other director happily signed off the accounts. The following day the other director (who could not attend) sent me an email with a list of queries and has requested that the accounts were not filed until the issues were resolved. This has been rambling on for 2 weeks now, and the invoice I raised (the day the accounts were signed off) is overdue for payment. As the accounts have not been filed, is it acceptable for me to chase for payment?
I will be insisting that both clients pay monthly in advance next year or seek a new accountant as I'm sick of dealing with these people.
Thank you in advance for all advice.
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 178 6
- IRIS Practice Management 179 3
- Pre- trading Expenses 143 2
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 366 16
- Mortgage Interest and rental income 53 1
- Charities sorp - portfolio management fees 177 5
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 309 12
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 387 10
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 111 1
- Easy way to not pay tax 226 6
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 350 8
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 202 2
- Builder using cash labour 154 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 229 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 458 11
- Was I rude 858 20
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 222 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 300 1
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 228 6
- Non-compete agreement 202 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,489
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 827
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 423
- Sale of business 397
- NOVA 302
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 213
- Bonus Bonds 181
- Management expenses for investment company 178
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 172