I know I have posted on this topic before and in my recent post (Sinking without a Trace) I have pledged to "grow some" and stand up to clients who are taking the proverbial but...
I have two clients for whom I have completed the accounts, mostly and now they have the information they wanted (in one case an estimated Net Profit for a mortgage application, and the other the amount of corporation tax due for the year), they are refusing to respond to emails sent requesting a last few pieces of information required to complete the accounts and thus raise my invoice. I know I should be billing up front and collecting Direct Debits and I am tackling this client by client. But in the meantime:
1. For the client who has 2 small queries outstanding and has his mortgage reference, but the accounts are not completed would it be acceptable to send him an invoice for a % of the work completed? This was a substantial job and because the mortgage reference was required asap I (foolishly) prioritised it. It's been several weeks since the final review meeting which highlighed a couple of small points that required clarification. Otherwise 90% of the work is completed.
2. For the client who wanted to know their corporation tax bill for the year, they again wanted their accounts completed asap. I attended a year end review meeting, which one of the directors decided not to attend at the last minute, but the other director happily signed off the accounts. The following day the other director (who could not attend) sent me an email with a list of queries and has requested that the accounts were not filed until the issues were resolved. This has been rambling on for 2 weeks now, and the invoice I raised (the day the accounts were signed off) is overdue for payment. As the accounts have not been filed, is it acceptable for me to chase for payment?
I will be insisting that both clients pay monthly in advance next year or seek a new accountant as I'm sick of dealing with these people.
Thank you in advance for all advice.
- CIC Company 567 10
- VAT - Recharge 139 4
- Employment Allowance 278 4
- transitioning payroll 288 9
- dividend proposals 197 5
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 275 4
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,842 61
- NALS Accountants Report 184 2
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,537 36
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 209 5
- Legal title not in the company name 393 13
- Redundancy pay for directors? 542 14
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 916 19
- Opening Balances 117 1
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 223 2
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,403 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 333 4
- Dividend dates 590 10
- Sole properietor 258 4
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 274 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 627
- Cancelled 367
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 346
- Cancelled 316
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 291
- Probiz 275
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 243
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 237
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 208
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 178