Over a month ago I sent our tax office a completed P46 for a new employee, together with a covering letter explaining that he was a US citizen was not going to be resident in the UK. The letter asked for confirmation that he was not therefore subject to UK tax.
Not having received a response, I called the tax office today to find out what was happening. I was told that it was far too soon for them to have dealt with it, they are about 10 weeks behind. They are currently dealing with the post received on 9 August (2002!).
I think this is disgraceful, but is it typical? I'm sure that you tax practitioners out there would never take nearly three months to respond to a letter from the revenue. And I'd be very surprised if they let you take that long without some rigourous chasing.
Meanwhile our employee is unneccesarily having to suffer tax on three more months' salary.
I understand that it isn't the fault of the individuals concerned and it's a resource issue, but I thought that the days of government departments providing such an atrocious service level were long gone. Winge over.
How widespread is this, and how do people cope with it?
- Yorkshire Day 330 23
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 905 25
- Deleted question? 226 3
- CRM systems? 43 1
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,254 34
- Accountancy Career 509 11
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,101 22
- MAAT vs ACCA 513 9
- EU VAT Registration Thresholds 95 5
- Vat on Payments on Account 52 1
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 108 3
- calculation DTR restriction 150 4
- Company Limited Liability vs Public Liability Insruance 59 1
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 154 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,865 45
- Group Audit Thresholds 405 12
- Flat rate VAT 261 5
- Client payment options 95 1
- Benefit in Kind - Clothing - PPE 124 1
- Help with HMRC investigation 474 8
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 555
- Cancelled 440
- Cancelled 369
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 367
- Probiz 344
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 343
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 249
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 222
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 211
- More spam 173