Over a month ago I sent our tax office a completed P46 for a new employee, together with a covering letter explaining that he was a US citizen was not going to be resident in the UK. The letter asked for confirmation that he was not therefore subject to UK tax.
Not having received a response, I called the tax office today to find out what was happening. I was told that it was far too soon for them to have dealt with it, they are about 10 weeks behind. They are currently dealing with the post received on 9 August (2002!).
I think this is disgraceful, but is it typical? I'm sure that you tax practitioners out there would never take nearly three months to respond to a letter from the revenue. And I'd be very surprised if they let you take that long without some rigourous chasing.
Meanwhile our employee is unneccesarily having to suffer tax on three more months' salary.
I understand that it isn't the fault of the individuals concerned and it's a resource issue, but I thought that the days of government departments providing such an atrocious service level were long gone. Winge over.
How widespread is this, and how do people cope with it?
- PI cover 127 3
- Its going to be fun isnt it? 1,326 16
- VAT underpayments and financial reporting 76 1
- Xero Pain Points 269 13
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 137 2
- Moneysoft - technical query 363 9
- Renting home garage and outbuildings to Business 125 1
- Tax Codes and VAT 178 2
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,725 61
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 304 5
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 842 20
- The importance of Grammar 919 24
- New starter - tax code 205 6
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 143 2
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 147 2
- HMRC site down ? 184 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 150 6
- Small hotel - food for personal use 221 3
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 107 1
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 179 2
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 361
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 301
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 288
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 281
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 273
- Electric Car 225
- S222 Charge 203
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 198
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 192
- Company Structure 178