Over a month ago I sent our tax office a completed P46 for a new employee, together with a covering letter explaining that he was a US citizen was not going to be resident in the UK. The letter asked for confirmation that he was not therefore subject to UK tax.
Not having received a response, I called the tax office today to find out what was happening. I was told that it was far too soon for them to have dealt with it, they are about 10 weeks behind. They are currently dealing with the post received on 9 August (2002!).
I think this is disgraceful, but is it typical? I'm sure that you tax practitioners out there would never take nearly three months to respond to a letter from the revenue. And I'd be very surprised if they let you take that long without some rigourous chasing.
Meanwhile our employee is unneccesarily having to suffer tax on three more months' salary.
I understand that it isn't the fault of the individuals concerned and it's a resource issue, but I thought that the days of government departments providing such an atrocious service level were long gone. Winge over.
How widespread is this, and how do people cope with it?
- Keeping disastrous accounts 491 6
- Where has Portia gone? 5,574 117
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 441 12
- Help 402 13
- Can a trust benefit from PPR 665 5
- Is a new PAYE scheme needed for incorporated business? 80 3
- P11D Expenses Claims 86 1
- Sage 50 accounts 47 1
- Lost "thanks" 145 2
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 363 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 826 14
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 173 3
- Stock of photos to capatilise 443 18
- Anyone used the firm 'More Clients 4 U? 256 6
- Practice management software 1,173 22
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 197 2
- On the high seas 199 3
- US Company charging VAT. How to account 117 1
- RTI Payroll ID 2,125 26
- Payments on account 275 4
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 861
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 452
- Sanzar 353
- How do you do it 343
- Digital marketing focus group 316
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 300
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 215
- Fit for purpose 204
- new investor structure 203
- VAT Registration 184