Over a month ago I sent our tax office a completed P46 for a new employee, together with a covering letter explaining that he was a US citizen was not going to be resident in the UK. The letter asked for confirmation that he was not therefore subject to UK tax.
Not having received a response, I called the tax office today to find out what was happening. I was told that it was far too soon for them to have dealt with it, they are about 10 weeks behind. They are currently dealing with the post received on 9 August (2002!).
I think this is disgraceful, but is it typical? I'm sure that you tax practitioners out there would never take nearly three months to respond to a letter from the revenue. And I'd be very surprised if they let you take that long without some rigourous chasing.
Meanwhile our employee is unneccesarily having to suffer tax on three more months' salary.
I understand that it isn't the fault of the individuals concerned and it's a resource issue, but I thought that the days of government departments providing such an atrocious service level were long gone. Winge over.
How widespread is this, and how do people cope with it?
- CIS Deductions 36 2
- Share swap 401 14
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 310 14
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 144 3
- Check my logic on this please? 218 1
- VAT Margin Scheme for Second Hand Watches 65 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 219 6
- Late P45 193 5
- Know it alls (who don't) 535 13
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 166 3
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 423 13
- CIC accounts submission 88 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 595 20
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 438 9
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 263 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,508 44
- What does it mean?? 482 12
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 1,128 13
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 240 4
- VAT & Landlords 221 6
- Skandia using wrong address 1,564
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 863
- International interest certificate 475
- NOVA 332
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 247
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 240
- Management expenses for investment company 223
- Bonus Bonds 216
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 206
- Help with tax codes on Sage 161