Over a month ago I sent our tax office a completed P46 for a new employee, together with a covering letter explaining that he was a US citizen was not going to be resident in the UK. The letter asked for confirmation that he was not therefore subject to UK tax.
Not having received a response, I called the tax office today to find out what was happening. I was told that it was far too soon for them to have dealt with it, they are about 10 weeks behind. They are currently dealing with the post received on 9 August (2002!).
I think this is disgraceful, but is it typical? I'm sure that you tax practitioners out there would never take nearly three months to respond to a letter from the revenue. And I'd be very surprised if they let you take that long without some rigourous chasing.
Meanwhile our employee is unneccesarily having to suffer tax on three more months' salary.
I understand that it isn't the fault of the individuals concerned and it's a resource issue, but I thought that the days of government departments providing such an atrocious service level were long gone. Winge over.
How widespread is this, and how do people cope with it?
- New business - journal entries 364 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 198 3
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 195 5
- Payroll software 626 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 240 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 378 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 716 18
- B2B vat in the EU 169 4
- Coding Notice 202 6
- VAT on Hire Purchase 116 1
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 192 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 214 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 179 4
- LLP as member of LLP 123 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,803 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 490 7
- Vat 293 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,297 13
- Recharge for private use of a company car 212 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 186 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 842
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 715
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 398
- Social investment tax relief 216
- Digita Hosted Software 209
- Call Centre Data Costs 196
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 169
- accounting for this transaction 168
- Travel costs and contractors 163
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 157