Over a month ago I sent our tax office a completed P46 for a new employee, together with a covering letter explaining that he was a US citizen was not going to be resident in the UK. The letter asked for confirmation that he was not therefore subject to UK tax.
Not having received a response, I called the tax office today to find out what was happening. I was told that it was far too soon for them to have dealt with it, they are about 10 weeks behind. They are currently dealing with the post received on 9 August (2002!).
I think this is disgraceful, but is it typical? I'm sure that you tax practitioners out there would never take nearly three months to respond to a letter from the revenue. And I'd be very surprised if they let you take that long without some rigourous chasing.
Meanwhile our employee is unneccesarily having to suffer tax on three more months' salary.
I understand that it isn't the fault of the individuals concerned and it's a resource issue, but I thought that the days of government departments providing such an atrocious service level were long gone. Winge over.
How widespread is this, and how do people cope with it?
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 398 11
- What would you do in this situation? 76 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 117 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 594 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 621 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 69 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 338 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 239 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 215 5
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 95 2
- Sole trader hid directorships. 375 6
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,385 46
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 290 5
- NOVA 548 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 267 10
- Regional Development Grant 114 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,376 21
- Company car without a salary 221 2
- Charity donations 1,069 21
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 144 2
- Bonus Bonds 389
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 376
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 287
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 256
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 184
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 170
- Finance Lease 155
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 147
- Demerger Reserve 129