Over a month ago I sent our tax office a completed P46 for a new employee, together with a covering letter explaining that he was a US citizen was not going to be resident in the UK. The letter asked for confirmation that he was not therefore subject to UK tax.
Not having received a response, I called the tax office today to find out what was happening. I was told that it was far too soon for them to have dealt with it, they are about 10 weeks behind. They are currently dealing with the post received on 9 August (2002!).
I think this is disgraceful, but is it typical? I'm sure that you tax practitioners out there would never take nearly three months to respond to a letter from the revenue. And I'd be very surprised if they let you take that long without some rigourous chasing.
Meanwhile our employee is unneccesarily having to suffer tax on three more months' salary.
I understand that it isn't the fault of the individuals concerned and it's a resource issue, but I thought that the days of government departments providing such an atrocious service level were long gone. Winge over.
How widespread is this, and how do people cope with it?
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 62 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 583 7
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 487 24
- Do I need to pay my accountant 276 5
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 142 3
- Lloyds bank ... 406 6
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 255 5
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 364 18
- Limited company buying a car 205 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 476 10
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 241 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 302 4
- ACCA practice certificates 516 5
- Limited company buying director's car 316 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 100 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 139 1
- WC's and capital allowances 184 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 325 13
- Dress code 1,567 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 486 13
- CTA study material 772
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 402
- Employment related securities question 311
- AIM Stocks and IHT 283
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 260
- Expat pension contributions? 260
- Trust for Employee 239
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 188
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 149