Over a month ago I sent our tax office a completed P46 for a new employee, together with a covering letter explaining that he was a US citizen was not going to be resident in the UK. The letter asked for confirmation that he was not therefore subject to UK tax.
Not having received a response, I called the tax office today to find out what was happening. I was told that it was far too soon for them to have dealt with it, they are about 10 weeks behind. They are currently dealing with the post received on 9 August (2002!).
I think this is disgraceful, but is it typical? I'm sure that you tax practitioners out there would never take nearly three months to respond to a letter from the revenue. And I'd be very surprised if they let you take that long without some rigourous chasing.
Meanwhile our employee is unneccesarily having to suffer tax on three more months' salary.
I understand that it isn't the fault of the individuals concerned and it's a resource issue, but I thought that the days of government departments providing such an atrocious service level were long gone. Winge over.
How widespread is this, and how do people cope with it?
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 539 5
- Off site storage 97 3
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,098 44
- Industrial & Provident Societies 339 1
- Irish Taxation 107 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 484 5
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 200 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 294 4
- Self assesment losses 292 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 158 3
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 144 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 102 2
- Joint Property rent 161 3
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 210 6
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 250 1
- Fee protection 882 16
- Overdrawn DLA 273 9
- Disposal of an opted property 138 2
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 241 5
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 3,148 31
- Xtuple 561
- Qtac payroll for bureau 384
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 338
- Domain name sale and limited company 226
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 209
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 205
- Investment 202
- Tax on damages received 174
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 165
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 141