Over a month ago I sent our tax office a completed P46 for a new employee, together with a covering letter explaining that he was a US citizen was not going to be resident in the UK. The letter asked for confirmation that he was not therefore subject to UK tax.
Not having received a response, I called the tax office today to find out what was happening. I was told that it was far too soon for them to have dealt with it, they are about 10 weeks behind. They are currently dealing with the post received on 9 August (2002!).
I think this is disgraceful, but is it typical? I'm sure that you tax practitioners out there would never take nearly three months to respond to a letter from the revenue. And I'd be very surprised if they let you take that long without some rigourous chasing.
Meanwhile our employee is unneccesarily having to suffer tax on three more months' salary.
I understand that it isn't the fault of the individuals concerned and it's a resource issue, but I thought that the days of government departments providing such an atrocious service level were long gone. Winge over.
How widespread is this, and how do people cope with it?
- Cash injection by shareholder 19 1
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 255 7
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 275 4
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 150 3
- PRR 184 11
- corp tax software 334 7
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,073 54
- Pension Contributions Relief 435 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 456 7
- Which tax box 177 2
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 127 1
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 93 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 213 3
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 201 6
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,441 423
- References for clients 186 2
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 136 2
- incorrect PAYE statements 94 2
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 313 7
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 127 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,294
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 460
- National Insurance 358
- Non Resident 275
- Franchise income and costs 251
- Hands on experience of Digita 208
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 163
- Employer's Helpline 157
- employment capital allowances 150
- CIS paid under reg 9 134