Over a month ago I sent our tax office a completed P46 for a new employee, together with a covering letter explaining that he was a US citizen was not going to be resident in the UK. The letter asked for confirmation that he was not therefore subject to UK tax.
Not having received a response, I called the tax office today to find out what was happening. I was told that it was far too soon for them to have dealt with it, they are about 10 weeks behind. They are currently dealing with the post received on 9 August (2002!).
I think this is disgraceful, but is it typical? I'm sure that you tax practitioners out there would never take nearly three months to respond to a letter from the revenue. And I'd be very surprised if they let you take that long without some rigourous chasing.
Meanwhile our employee is unneccesarily having to suffer tax on three more months' salary.
I understand that it isn't the fault of the individuals concerned and it's a resource issue, but I thought that the days of government departments providing such an atrocious service level were long gone. Winge over.
How widespread is this, and how do people cope with it?
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,001 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 77 1
- LLP - Member leaving 178 6
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 722 21
- Year end 220 3
- tax credits 183 7
- Foreign income for self employed 160 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 285 9
- what time is it ? 174 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 296 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,113 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 238 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 596 21
- How would you account for warranty? 172 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 411 22
- Sweet Tooth 220 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 194 2
- trading or dormant 132 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 152 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 585 11
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 893
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 521
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 333
- How to format a stock book 315
- Tax efficient holding company structure 251
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 245
- Investment property company accounts template 229
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 193
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 173
- Charge out rates in London? 153