Over a month ago I sent our tax office a completed P46 for a new employee, together with a covering letter explaining that he was a US citizen was not going to be resident in the UK. The letter asked for confirmation that he was not therefore subject to UK tax.
Not having received a response, I called the tax office today to find out what was happening. I was told that it was far too soon for them to have dealt with it, they are about 10 weeks behind. They are currently dealing with the post received on 9 August (2002!).
I think this is disgraceful, but is it typical? I'm sure that you tax practitioners out there would never take nearly three months to respond to a letter from the revenue. And I'd be very surprised if they let you take that long without some rigourous chasing.
Meanwhile our employee is unneccesarily having to suffer tax on three more months' salary.
I understand that it isn't the fault of the individuals concerned and it's a resource issue, but I thought that the days of government departments providing such an atrocious service level were long gone. Winge over.
How widespread is this, and how do people cope with it?
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 339 9
- Child benefit charge 705 10
- Furniture Holiday Let & Capital Allowances 201 6
- Incorrect CIS Invoices from Subcontractors 80 4
- Do you lose losses on cessation 271 9
- Changed Company Year End - CT Penalty 242 9
- Contribution to charity as % of profit 189 9
- CGT on sale of Spanish property 56 1
- SA800 Returns 128 3
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,235 20
- Non sterling partnership profits, exchange rates and tax 55 1
- Corporation Tax 203 9
- Company name change question... 70 1
- CGT and 2nd property 962 14
- Is there a risk in helping overseas companies that have no intention of doing business in the UK 94 1
- Self Ass. Return 243 3
- Late payment payroll 168 2
- Deferred Tax 223 9
- New Boiler at Rental Property 508 6
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 825 22
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 813
- Copy Wanted 530
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 483
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 473
- Latest phishing scam 322
- Entrepreneurs' relief 301
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 268
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 264
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 262
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 167