Over a month ago I sent our tax office a completed P46 for a new employee, together with a covering letter explaining that he was a US citizen was not going to be resident in the UK. The letter asked for confirmation that he was not therefore subject to UK tax.
Not having received a response, I called the tax office today to find out what was happening. I was told that it was far too soon for them to have dealt with it, they are about 10 weeks behind. They are currently dealing with the post received on 9 August (2002!).
I think this is disgraceful, but is it typical? I'm sure that you tax practitioners out there would never take nearly three months to respond to a letter from the revenue. And I'd be very surprised if they let you take that long without some rigourous chasing.
Meanwhile our employee is unneccesarily having to suffer tax on three more months' salary.
I understand that it isn't the fault of the individuals concerned and it's a resource issue, but I thought that the days of government departments providing such an atrocious service level were long gone. Winge over.
How widespread is this, and how do people cope with it?
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 127 6
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 108 2
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 462 8
- R&D tax claim 221 6
- Gift to employee 359 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 85 1
- Transfer of a business 102 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,109 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 402 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 105 2
- Sage Import Data 296 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 238 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 97 2
- Best time software for small practice? 209 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 312 13
- private to company car? 362 9
- Which address 1,007 11
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 260 5
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 956 15
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 269 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 472
- CTA study material 453
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 328
- Pre incorp expenses 305
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 261
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 249
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 202
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 152
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 136
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 130