Over a month ago I sent our tax office a completed P46 for a new employee, together with a covering letter explaining that he was a US citizen was not going to be resident in the UK. The letter asked for confirmation that he was not therefore subject to UK tax.
Not having received a response, I called the tax office today to find out what was happening. I was told that it was far too soon for them to have dealt with it, they are about 10 weeks behind. They are currently dealing with the post received on 9 August (2002!).
I think this is disgraceful, but is it typical? I'm sure that you tax practitioners out there would never take nearly three months to respond to a letter from the revenue. And I'd be very surprised if they let you take that long without some rigourous chasing.
Meanwhile our employee is unneccesarily having to suffer tax on three more months' salary.
I understand that it isn't the fault of the individuals concerned and it's a resource issue, but I thought that the days of government departments providing such an atrocious service level were long gone. Winge over.
How widespread is this, and how do people cope with it?
- Dividend in specie 240 8
- Can I claim mileage? 109 2
- Partnership Tax Return Deadline 42 1
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 182 9
- client threatening legal action 1,817 28
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 694 8
- Partially exempt? 246 9
- Reclaiming EU VAT on fuel and expenses 96 1
- First VAT Visit for client 250 4
- Lorry Drivers 152 2
- Redundancy payment added to p45 132 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 113 1
- Mexican student in UK 124 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 201 3
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 309 12
- payroll software 151 1
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,057 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 129 1
- Pricing 341 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 260 5
- Skandia using wrong address 492
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 280
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 275
- Employee rewards 259
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 229
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 220
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 219
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 174
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 162