Over a month ago I sent our tax office a completed P46 for a new employee, together with a covering letter explaining that he was a US citizen was not going to be resident in the UK. The letter asked for confirmation that he was not therefore subject to UK tax.
Not having received a response, I called the tax office today to find out what was happening. I was told that it was far too soon for them to have dealt with it, they are about 10 weeks behind. They are currently dealing with the post received on 9 August (2002!).
I think this is disgraceful, but is it typical? I'm sure that you tax practitioners out there would never take nearly three months to respond to a letter from the revenue. And I'd be very surprised if they let you take that long without some rigourous chasing.
Meanwhile our employee is unneccesarily having to suffer tax on three more months' salary.
I understand that it isn't the fault of the individuals concerned and it's a resource issue, but I thought that the days of government departments providing such an atrocious service level were long gone. Winge over.
How widespread is this, and how do people cope with it?
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 54 1
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,250 19
- Scanners 161 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 68 1
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 148 5
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 227 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 399 9
- Payment plans for clients 99 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 224 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 225 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 390 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 437 9
- P60 or payslips? 87 1
- Property income in different capacities 98 1
- IHT dilemma 1,382 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 187 1
- IT advisory questions? 171 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 793 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 134 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 526 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,157
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 796
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 486
- Digita Hosted Software 320
- Credit where credit's due....... 270
- Director phone costs 231
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 226
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 193
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 152
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 134