Over a month ago I sent our tax office a completed P46 for a new employee, together with a covering letter explaining that he was a US citizen was not going to be resident in the UK. The letter asked for confirmation that he was not therefore subject to UK tax.
Not having received a response, I called the tax office today to find out what was happening. I was told that it was far too soon for them to have dealt with it, they are about 10 weeks behind. They are currently dealing with the post received on 9 August (2002!).
I think this is disgraceful, but is it typical? I'm sure that you tax practitioners out there would never take nearly three months to respond to a letter from the revenue. And I'd be very surprised if they let you take that long without some rigourous chasing.
Meanwhile our employee is unneccesarily having to suffer tax on three more months' salary.
I understand that it isn't the fault of the individuals concerned and it's a resource issue, but I thought that the days of government departments providing such an atrocious service level were long gone. Winge over.
How widespread is this, and how do people cope with it?
- Auto enrolment pension scheme set up 540 12
- how do I find out if a building has VAT Option to Tax in place? 273 7
- Share capital netted off against lossess 218 5
- Unhappy client over fees 456 13
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 922 11
- Two sole traders working at same shop 210 2
- IR35 mechanics 108 1
- CGT - contract conditional? 197 3
- Eligibility to FRS VAT 124 1
- Foreign Dividends: UK tax credit 182 3
- NI PAYE working out from net amount 417 18
- Company Van - Classic vehicle 177 3
- VAT dergistration confirmation? 317 5
- Auto Enrolment Through Nest 432 5
- RTI late filing - what is best to do now? 308 3
- PPR - which reliefs are available 327 5
- IHT nil band transfer 316 7
- Capitalising Development and Research and Development Tax Credits 134 1
- SA1 moan 257 1
- Seafarers Earnings Deduction 268 3
- NHS finance professionals 770
- Foreign Pension Contribution 455
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 448
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 388
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 352
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 338
- Incorporating doctors 323
- IFA income recognition & reporting 273
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 249
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 234