Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 42 1
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 218 3
- Shortening an Accounting Reference Date 243 5
- converting garage to use as office 73 1
- Private use of vans 117 1
- My friend may have unknowingly participated in a tax avoidance scheme... 592 6
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 4,093 92
- Directors pension 228 3
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 606 24
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 286 5
- Bookkeeping for voluntary organisations 101 1
- accounts software for a hotel 161 4
- Final CT Return - liquidating company 88 1
- charities 169 2
- Seeking advice: Penalty for 3-year Non-notified Self-Employed? 270 3
- Worst corporate entertaining events? 1,500 12
- Company investment 311 8
- Business only use of company car 1,314 31
- New CASC rules 254 3
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,063 10
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 368
- Any thoughts on Capium? 318
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 288
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 263
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 251
- auto enrolment 231
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 223
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 176
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 158
- French ConnectionUK 157