Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- tax credits 149 6
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 257 9
- LLP - Member leaving 148 6
- what time is it ? 92 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 260 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,062 14
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 678 19
- Tax Return Deadlines 226 4
- Year end 162 2
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 575 21
- How would you account for warranty? 160 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 405 22
- Sweet Tooth 190 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 181 2
- trading or dormant 120 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 131 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 573 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 277 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 124 1
- Foreign income for self employed 140 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 879
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 519
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 332
- How to format a stock book 313
- Tax efficient holding company structure 246
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 242
- Investment property company accounts template 227
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 220
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 193
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 168