Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Self assessment tax arrears 286 3
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 190 2
- Mehjoo 310 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 67 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 331 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 183 4
- SA302 317 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 284 13
- Bringing money to Uk 278 4
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 281 5
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 207 4
- Go Cardless 352 9
- Hmrc software 243 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 148 1
- Hosted email exchange 182 5
- South African Government Pension 183 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 317 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 319 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 250 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 157 3
- Xtuple 514
- Qtac payroll for bureau 354
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 297
- Industrial & Provident Societies 290
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 229
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 198
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 196
- CIS schemes 175
- Domain name sale and limited company 174
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 150