Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 460 10
- Errors in prior year accounts 839 23
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,335 18
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,979 39
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,600 23
- VAT & capitalising 122 3
- Final year's accounts 147 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 269 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 295 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 310 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 243 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 137 2
- What are options for non CA firm 1,978 36
- Invoice Help 249 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 179 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 252 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 240 3
- Sorry ignore me 907 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 591 5
- Free Shares ? 251 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 625
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 534
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 245
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 193
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 192
- Probiz 179
- Married woman dies owning marital home 168
- What's the market like for temps? 166