Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- PI cover 235 4
- VAT and customer entertaining 213 2
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 934 15
- VAT - How hard is it? 730 26
- Profit split from an investment property 160 6
- The importance of Grammar 1,308 39
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,413 39
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 110 1
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,254 10
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 168 3
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 139 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 274 6
- tax saving on card points 238 6
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 262 9
- Scissors 882 24
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 440 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 459 10
- Directors exempt from AE? 265 6
- Availability of Tax Relief on Expenses incurred for Voluntary Work Overseas 129 2
- Xero Pain Points 515 17
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 372
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 321
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 307
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 297
- Electric Car 250
- S222 Charge 218
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 214
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 201
- Company Structure 197
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 163