Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 145 6
- VAT Option to tax 450 17
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 186 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 124 2
- Director leaving in month 1 106 2
- Ex Gratia payments 65 1
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 245 3
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 146 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 183 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 180 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 165 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 46 1
- EIS - connection through employment 93 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 240 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 53 1
- CIS and Close Company 92 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 227 4
- Secondment expenses 152 3
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 124 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 139 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 906
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 637
- Free Tax Legislation? 401
- Director Loan account operation 396
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 333
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 318
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 222
- Paye procedures for CVA 217
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 182