Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 210 2
- H&W company 169 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 138 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 156 2
- Gift or Capital Gain? 256 7
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 56 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 780 32
- Classic cars investment 214 6
- BrightPay 573 16
- VAT silly question 2,378 56
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 1,077 10
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 257 5
- Federation Accounts 359 10
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 540 8
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 289 5
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 160 2
- Late reply from HMRC 259 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 290 6
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 2,674 34
- How long to prepare monthly management accounts 1,428 22
- Benchmarking 487
- Possible Partnership? 428
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 406
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 406
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 347
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 205
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 202
- Clubs and Taxable Income 187
- Income tax on foreign dividends 187
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 182