Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Non resident income. 440 20
- What sectors to target? 604 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 250 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 175 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,929 41
- Self assesment online 984 11
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 256 21
- Why do I do this every year 400 9
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 298 5
- closing limited company 168 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 86 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 511 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 245 9
- IHT and US resident 59 1
- Limited Companies Merger 208 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 135 1
- Practice management 381 7
- IHT and cash gifts 245 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 559 13
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,604 42
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 926
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 645
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 597
- Latest phishing scam 578
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 413
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 310
- Scratch Head 239
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 230
- Sabbatical payments 195
- Negligible Value Claim 173