Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) 162 13
- CIS 193 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 127 6
- VAT1 Form- Question 7 133 6
- Professional Indemnity Insurance 636 18
- FRS 102 and loans from a director 324 1
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,476 7
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,876 356
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 146 3
- How to cancel a partnership registration for self assessment 180 9
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 387 11
- UTR reallocated by HMRC 328 5
- Sportman claiming for training kit 355 8
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,163 21
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 345 4
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 198 5
- Accountancy packages for FRS 102 166 4
- Penalties for non-filing of EC Sales List 149 2
- PAYE 122 1
- Mutual trading organisation paying tax for the first time 121 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,210
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 418
- National Insurance 322
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 318
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 263
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 245
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 237
- Non Resident 235
- Franchise income and costs 215
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 214