Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- practice planning 16 1
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,081 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 161 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 148 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,630 10
- Which address 1,055 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 582 20
- MS Surface Pro 3 94 1
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,494 17
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,211 44
- R&D tax claim 255 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 534 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 190 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 139 2
- Gift to employee 379 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 179 1
- Transfer of a business 129 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,151 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 418 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 122 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 484
- CTA study material 459
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 337
- Pre incorp expenses 319
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 270
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 260
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 212
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 164
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 137
- Employment related securities question 126