Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 111 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,039 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 366 4
- Setting up a practice 356 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 480 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 435 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 251 1
- Love is in the air 523 6
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 652 17
- Stamp Duty 293 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 238 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,800 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 571 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 246 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 261 9
- Client Paperwork Retention? 571 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 580 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 376 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 394 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 454 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 300
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 288
- CGT for NOn UK residents 280
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 275
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 253
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 239
- Apprenticeship Levy 236
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 224
- Capital Gains personal representatives 220
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 208