Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Non-IR35 contractors and travel, since Autumn Statement 198 1
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 550 11
- New LLP, basis of assessment and which boxes to complete? 25 1
- property capital gains 235 2
- Transferring DLA between Directors 222 1
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,210 13
- Tips on meals 249 2
- Rental losses on jointly owned property 214 3
- Personal Tax 774 13
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 262 2
- Stumped - IHT 229 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 427 6
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 492 11
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,305 33
- Credit management tools 174 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 794 20
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 440 7
- CGT and primary residence 206 1
- Marriage Allowance 312 3
- S455 and February year ends 366 7