Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 292 16
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 663 12
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 72 2
- Personal pension 431 9
- Business rates consultancy 255 4
- Wrong tax code 149 6
- Benefit in Kind 240 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 71 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 248 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,051 31
- Deferred Tax 466 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 206 1
- You know its over 479 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 241 1
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 142 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 227 3
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,271 14
- Cocaine anyone? 619 10
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 146 2
- Dutch and Germany VAT 178 3
- Hive up 509
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 473
- corporate hierarchy 450
- Advice - 291
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 235
- WWOOFers 229
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 215
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 192
- The booking.com con 167
- UK State pension paid in NZ 163