Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Entrepreneurs Relief 686 34
- More AE! 604 13
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 448 6
- Scanners 37 1
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 1,042 16
- Relevance of UK Residency 89 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 246 4
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 99 3
- Invoice dispute 560 5
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 241 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 405 9
- Property inheritance by overseas resident 82 1
- 2013-14 Tax Return-Transparent Benchmarks? 108 1
- IHT dilemma 1,318 20
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,050 18
- SA -2012_13 return - worth changing? 214 3
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 169 1
- How to filter to show only rows with 'Total' in description? 210 4
- Micro Entity Accounts 326 3
- Aweb tracking ... 288 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,135
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 789
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 474
- Digita Hosted Software 313
- Credit where credit's due....... 252
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 217
- Director phone costs 208
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 180
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 156
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 144