Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Weely paid employees 226 3
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 118 3
- Reregister for VAT 98 1
- Would this save hours of your time? 429 11
- Director's tax return 248 6
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 194 6
- Value pricing 670 23
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 46 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 180 5
- Wrong career 453 18
- Payroo Employer allowance query 127 1
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 263 7
- Laptop purchase 1,376 20
- PTP software disaster 258 2
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 220 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 96 2
- Tricky VAT question 171 1
- VT accounts licence key 260 5
- Splitting the tax year 106 1
- FPS Submission 155 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 792
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 547
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 413
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 292
- Free Tax Legislation? 261
- Director Loan account operation 241
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 237
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 236
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 159