Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- What can my client claim r & d on? 84 2
- Invoice Help 394 11
- CGT 34 2
- is my company accounts right? 814 22
- Corporate shareholder question 188 3
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 260 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,012 28
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 394 9
- Class 2 National Insurance contributions 371 6
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 86 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,509 55
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,559 21
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 122 1
- P11D Dispensation 110 1
- I have missing sales invoices 384 5
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 277 8
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 377 5
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,038 19
- Errors in prior year accounts 1,062 26
- Directors Subsistence 235 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 556
- Cancelled 320
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 320
- Cancelled 269
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 225
- Married woman dies owning marital home 223
- Probiz 212
- What's the market like for temps? 201
- CIS Deductions 171
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 163