Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 134 4
- PRR 451 15
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 49 1
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 227 14
- Working from home - time apportionment 292 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 206 2
- cross border vat 111 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,902 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 773 17
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 278 12
- Can't read my handwriting 633 15
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,650 74
- Employing a carer 131 1
- Fees for Property Tax Return 531 16
- Corp Tax Refund 170 2
- Email hacker for hire ... 401 8
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 279 8
- IFRS and UK GAAP Adjustment Jrnls 91 2
- Donaldson V HMRC 234 1
- Audit partner? 278 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,372
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 518
- National Insurance 411
- Non Resident 320
- Hands on experience of Digita 244
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 226
- Employer's Helpline 187
- CIS paid under reg 9 184
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 151
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 145