Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 636 29
- Knuckle down one week to go! 44 1
- CURRENT VERSION OF p45 93 1
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 354 12
- Tax Penalty overeaction 605 11
- calculate mortgage interest 177 1
- Auto enrolment 1,653 27
- AIA 230 5
- Depreciation 212 1
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 168 3
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 244 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 200 3
- client can't/won't pay 494 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 235 6
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 265 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 281 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,199 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 296 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 242 5
- HMRC SA software error? 221 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 800
- Copy Wanted 507
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 466
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 458
- Latest phishing scam 297
- Entrepreneurs' relief 284
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 279
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 259
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 246
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 245