Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Windows10 76 4
- Account and Taxable Profit 115 7
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 597 24
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,656 36
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 285 6
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 443 25
- Class 2 NIC 177 3
- A thursday afternoon muse 156 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 367 6
- Probate services 400 8
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 850 5
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 219 6
- Unusual marketing methods for accountants 777 14
- An IT question 270 6
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 325 9
- SDLT 334 9
- Windows 10 anyone? 319 7
- Can an owner hold company money 244 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief, and then new company 451 9
- Ireland 446 1
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 835
- Benchmark accounting software 686
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 323
- Oplex Careers CPD 321
- What are HMRC implying? 291
- VAT 257
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 244
- Payroll manager and the cloud 214
- Is the APN valid 195