Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- New starter - tax code 168 6
- The importance of Grammar 876 23
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 81 2
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,673 60
- PI cover 75 2
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 249 3
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 108 2
- HMRC site down ? 142 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 134 6
- Small hotel - food for personal use 191 3
- Xero Pain Points 249 12
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 92 1
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 108 1
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 154 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 369 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 146 4
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 586 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 231 3
- Childcare 270 4
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 812 19
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 360
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 299
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 284
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 280
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 272
- Electric Car 220
- S222 Charge 200
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 194
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 189
- Company Structure 170