Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- General tax book with planning 82 1
- Gift of property & improvements 69 1
- VAT Invoice 38 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 152 2
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 224 10
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 742 29
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 109 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 401 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 327 8
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 110 6
- Help with tax codes on Sage 228 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 143 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 245 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 141 4
- SA302's anyone?? 510 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,610 41
- Renting for military reasons 160 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,548 18
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,041 18
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 121 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,615
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 895
- International interest certificate 507
- NOVA 366
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 284
- Management expenses for investment company 259
- Bonus Bonds 258
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 170
- tax on apprenticeship income 166
- P11D benefit received by widow 147