Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Can I claim mileage? 92 1
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 174 9
- client threatening legal action 1,806 28
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 688 8
- Partially exempt? 241 9
- Reclaiming EU VAT on fuel and expenses 92 1
- First VAT Visit for client 238 4
- Dividend in specie 233 7
- Lorry Drivers 142 2
- Redundancy payment added to p45 119 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 109 1
- Mexican student in UK 121 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 200 3
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 303 12
- payroll software 143 1
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,056 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 120 1
- Pricing 335 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 256 5
- VAT 121 2
- Skandia using wrong address 490
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 279
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 274
- Employee rewards 258
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 227
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 218
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 218
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 215
- Etax Australian 172
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 161