Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 171 10
- Is it just me 62 3
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 229 5
- Samadian what does it mean 475 10
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 33 1
- Income tax exemption on woodlands 123 4
- Excessive Security 708 30
- R & D 59 2
- I know this has been done to death but IRIS / DIGITA / CCH??? 452 9
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 134 2
- Tax rebate under PAYE, no p60? 149 5
- Tax return 168 4
- Associations tax regime for Saturday school 543 6
- Fee protection 287 9
- Long Term Contracts 137 3
- Standard P&L format - Companies Act 2006 89 2
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 676 15
- Generic PAYE notices 252 6
- Ltd company or sole trader 288 9
- Cross Border VAT Reclaims 200 5
- Xtuple 483
- Qtac payroll for bureau 323
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 271
- Industrial & Provident Societies 264
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 205
- Mehjoo 204
- VAT on commission from Oyster card top up, lottery & paypoint 172
- New strategic report 161
- Domain name sale and limited company 144
- South African Government Pension 141