Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Deferral relief 66 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,158 18
- Accountant Error 116 3
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 126 3
- Accountants' Error 290 7
- Subscriptions not on HMRC list of approved bodies 313 3
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 659 26
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 109 2
- Entrepreneur's relief and LLPs 71 2
- Companies House Abbreviated Accounts 399 5
- Wear and tear allowance 366 5
- HMRC Enquiry 500 3
- Daily Penalties 2012/13 218 2
- Share swap 109 1
- Cashback 340 2
- another ir35!!!! 229 2
- Settlement, or any other issues? 94 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 106 3
- Buying blocks of fees 395 2
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 280 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,431
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 737
- Any views 679
- HMRC Employers Diary 506
- International interest certificate 414
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 377
- Sale of business 333
- NOVA 240
- Advertising services? 231
- IRIS Open Books problem 225