Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Newly Started Practice 666 13
- Who is this White Bull you lot keep referring to? 549 15
- Sage Payroll 135 2
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 183 3
- UK Accountancy Franchise 226 4
- PAYROLL - SAGE v Microsoft Payroll Manager 134 1
- Clients 720 15
- Simplified auto enrolment? 196 2
- Tax and children 151 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 566 8
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 391 16
- Directors obligation to notify 114 1
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 270 2
- Don't HMRC collect CT anymore? 171 1
- Starting new accounting business 335 6
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 158 4
- error on companies house accounts 763 18
- RTI penalties 149 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 324 5
- US Sales Tax 116 1
- QROP pension input amounts 501
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 483
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 446
- EPS and CIS deductions 304
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 292
- Construction CIS LLP Company 285
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 250
- SAGE winforecast 205
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 188
- Overdrawn director account 177