Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 146 1
- Auto enrolment 418 8
- Audacity 910 17
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings 382 7
- Late registration for MOSS 234 5
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 355 8
- Revaluation of Brands etc 264 5
- Self employed care worker 470 10
- Client right to working papers 309 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 535 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 331 4
- Professional Clearance 1,041 24
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 266 5
- Illegal share transfer 446 5
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 167 2
- Company Strike off 1,833 30
- Soca or not to soca 2,130 34
- How to deal with an employee's at work car parking cost, paid for by the company 392 3
- Estate admin practicalities 222 1
- Cloud Accounting Software for Practitioners 1,501 23
- NHS finance professionals 532
- VAL231 407
- Mother and son property ownership 373
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 358
- Foreign Pension Contribution 331
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 305
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 285
- vat gross profit percentage margins 270
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 255
- EBT Self Assessment Return 223