Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Abbreviated accounts Companies House 197 2
- What is the law regarding selling your Ltd company to another? 86 8
- Employer Allowance & Transfer of Business 33 1
- Summer festivals! 331 13
- Do you need to account for a director loan separate from the current account 166 2
- Do accountants work at home? 787 21
- Can I pay into a pension? 262 8
- The Accountancy Party: What’s in your manifesto? 248 5
- Tax Implications for Selling a Subsidiary 62 2
- SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS 153 4
- Selling a property at a loss. Does HMRC still require a tax return 49 1
- I used to think HMRC contact lines couldnt get any worse................ 419 11
- Merging my businesses 292 4
- Where has Portia gone? 6,449 122
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 881 22
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 258 1
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 1,099 19
- new investor structure 223 1
- Furnished Holiday Lets & VAT 181 7
- Overlap profit 376 8
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 885
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 472
- Sanzar 362
- Digital marketing focus group 319
- Fit for purpose 215
- career 189
- Continuity Agreement 188
- Buyback 179
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 171
- Isle of Man payroll 169