Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Corporation Tax Software 392 12
- VAT on commision and connected persons 78 1
- starting a ltd company with intangible assets 40 1
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 1,009 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 664 18
- How to end partnership for HMRC 82 1
- Auto enrolment 125 1
- First year's sole trader accounts and 2014/2015 tax return 130 1
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 94 4
- Regular Director bonus 445 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 146 1
- Registration as self-employed 128 1
- BrightPay 1,091 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 532 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 348 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,109 17
- BIK for an electric car 164 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,630 90
- How do I save face? 2,369 14
- Goodie bag 3,101 72
- Possible Partnership? 689
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 534
- Fuming! 513
- New Fangled Penalties 466
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 334
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 275
- Moving away from CCH software 265
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 256
- Outsource Data Entry 255
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 207