Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 97 2
- How to complain about HMRC 1,308 16
- Limited company buying director's car 107 7
- Entrepeneurs relief 202 11
- Scottish Independance 664 18
- Dress code 1,411 32
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 142 1
- Historical figures for WTC 54 1
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 132 2
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 148 1
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 418 9
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,153 16
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 110 2
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 256 4
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 423 6
- WC's and capital allowances 105 1
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 261 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 893 10
- carry back of gift aid 127 2
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 140 3
- CTA study material 757
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 467
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 362
- Employment related securities question 300
- AIM Stocks and IHT 275
- Expat pension contributions? 246
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 246
- Trust for Employee 228
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 147
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 142