Self employed trader in mainly cash business hasn't kept records of cash in & out of the business separate from personal cash. The revenue contend that by assuming drawings were taken out the business at the same level each week (not correct) this would result in negative amounts therefore more money must have been received. If the cash flow was reworked to show more realistic seasonal drawings then the negative balances would disappear.
The traders problem is that he didn't keep records or count cash at any time as he thought that keeping copies of all sales/purchase invoices and keeping records of cash sales would be sufficient.
The revenue can't prove that undisclosed sales took place but neither can the trader prove they didn't.
What is not in dispute is the fact that insufficent records regarding cash reconciliations were kept or that personal & busines money were kept separate.
The revenue suggested a negotiated settlement.
Is this worth taking to appeal & what would be the chances of winning? - I know, how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience of this sort of investigation comments would be appriciated.
- Invoicing for monthly clients 60 1
- Entrepreneur's Relief Query 183 4
- Anyone using PracticePA? 260 5
- Do your DIY clients ever get their books right ? 69 1
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 649 26
- Tax - Paying Yearly 278 11
- Seeking advice: CGT after divorce when house sold and neither party was resident 195 3
- New company uses old Bank Account 235 3
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 465 5
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 342 8
- When is commencing trading not commening trading 192 3
- Income tax: Interaction between new marriage allowance and new nil band on savings interest 190 1
- charities 224 3
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 283 6
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 134 1
- converting garage to use as office 328 2
- recommended auto-enrolment pension scheme providers 664 13
- HOW is anyone obtaining an EORI number prior to shipment? 132 2
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,212 11
- Strike off 452 9
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 381
- Any thoughts on Capium? 341
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 295
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 268
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 254
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 231
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 177
- French ConnectionUK 168
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 163
- APN's 159