It is a normal day
I don’t celebrate Christmas. I don’t buy presents (apart from giving a present to a client last year), give cards anymore, eat turkey or see family. Normally, I treat Christmas day like a normal work day, this year will be a normal Saturday. I will get all my domestic chores done, read, have a pizza and may be watch a good film. I am far from lonely and sad.
It annoys me when people feel sorry for me since I will be on my own. I want to be on my own - leave me alone and stop calling me to find out if I am okay! Don't feel sorry for me!
I find it hard to understand how much pressure some people put themselves under in the name of the season. The pressure of finding the perfect present or affording an ever growing pile of more expensive presents, the pressure of cooking the perfect meal, the pressure of finding the perfect tree, the pressure of everyone getting along, the overall ongoing pressure to make this year better than it was last year and to make sure everyone has a good time.
I also remember office parties where the build up and the tallk was far far better than the actual party. The expectations were so high that it could be nothing but a let down.
A good number of my clients tell me that they don’t enjoy Christmas at all, but it’s just something they feel they “have” to do, especially if they have children. I fail to understand why people do things because they feel they “should” rather than actively want to do it.
Further the greenie in me is outraged at the excess and waste too – the presents-for-presents-sake, the packaging, the food... there is so much waste!
Christmas for me is just not worth all the stress and waste. Besides I am Humanist so it has not have a religious significance.
For those who do celebrate Christmas, I hope you have a good one. For those who don’t (I am sure there are many), have a fantastic Saturday
- what time is it ? 217 3
- VAT on disbursement 154 2
- Business Christmas Greetings 975 18
- tax credits 189 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,021 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 78 1
- LLP - Member leaving 180 6
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 728 21
- Year end 227 3
- Foreign income for self employed 164 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 293 9
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 303 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,127 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 241 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 607 21
- How would you account for warranty? 176 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 412 22
- Sweet Tooth 225 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 201 2
- trading or dormant 134 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 897
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 521
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 333
- How to format a stock book 315
- Tax efficient holding company structure 252
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 245
- Investment property company accounts template 229
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 195
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 175
- Charge out rates in London? 153