Joint property rental
I have been instructed by a friend of mine (why are they never easy!) who owns some rental property jointly with his 3 siblings. I was going to complete the usual Land and Property section and tick the jointly let box; however, a couple of issues occurred to me.
- There is actually 3 properties owned and intention to purchase at least one further property.
- Their intention is to retain any funds within the (separately set up) bank account to potentially purchase the further property. i.e. intention to make a profit
- There is a legal partnership agreement written up by a solicitor. It includes a key paragraph stating 'the parties shall be partners in the business of buying residential properties for the the purpose of letting'
I believe therefore that these factors would constitute a business and in fact we should be preparing a partnership tax return. To do this I will need to get a partnership UTR.
I also assume therefore that I ought to be preparing a set of partnership accounts, including a balance sheet showing the cost of properties and mortgage creditor etc?
My final assumption is that the profits should be taxed as Self Employed pages rather than on Land and Property. This therefore means a potential Class 4 NIC liability.
Reviewing HMRC guidance and tax books it seems that for joint property to be a business is rare; however, I still feel that the factors mentioned do create this scenario.
I would appreciate peoples comments on this and also whether there are there any other potential factors/ issues I need to consider?
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 270 7
- The stupidity continues 284 10
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 132 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,360 19
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 91 1
- Overlap relief 742 19
- What is IRIS World like? 341 8
- Pension contributions 353 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 114 4
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 468 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 153 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 446 9
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 253 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 201 1
- Share transfer question 327 16
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 553 10
- New Employers Helpline 153 3
- Budget 2015 - take two 217 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 209 4
- VAT Query 217 2
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 433
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 427
- WIP Software 291
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 286
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 224
- No payroll scheme in place 223
- Software recommendations 212
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 202
- Is there anything wrong with this? 195
- Small Part Disposal of Property 176