Joint property rental
I have been instructed by a friend of mine (why are they never easy!) who owns some rental property jointly with his 3 siblings. I was going to complete the usual Land and Property section and tick the jointly let box; however, a couple of issues occurred to me.
- There is actually 3 properties owned and intention to purchase at least one further property.
- Their intention is to retain any funds within the (separately set up) bank account to potentially purchase the further property. i.e. intention to make a profit
- There is a legal partnership agreement written up by a solicitor. It includes a key paragraph stating 'the parties shall be partners in the business of buying residential properties for the the purpose of letting'
I believe therefore that these factors would constitute a business and in fact we should be preparing a partnership tax return. To do this I will need to get a partnership UTR.
I also assume therefore that I ought to be preparing a set of partnership accounts, including a balance sheet showing the cost of properties and mortgage creditor etc?
My final assumption is that the profits should be taxed as Self Employed pages rather than on Land and Property. This therefore means a potential Class 4 NIC liability.
Reviewing HMRC guidance and tax books it seems that for joint property to be a business is rare; however, I still feel that the factors mentioned do create this scenario.
I would appreciate peoples comments on this and also whether there are there any other potential factors/ issues I need to consider?
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 146 2
- What should I do for 'free' 775 9
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 135 3
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 141 4
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 435 14
- Time limit 115 2
- What is the role of an accountant? 614 16
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,577 391
- Late filing penalty for personal tax return. Reasonable excuse 498 12
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 126 2
- EOQ Formula 48 1
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,349 26
- P11D Query 207 7
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 208 2
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 152 2
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 267 13
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 201 6
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,291 24
- 100% Xero practice 2,301 42
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 166 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,224
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 435
- National Insurance 334
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 330
- Non Resident 257
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 254
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 253
- Franchise income and costs 220
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 159
- Hands on experience of Digita 156