Joint property rental
I have been instructed by a friend of mine (why are they never easy!) who owns some rental property jointly with his 3 siblings. I was going to complete the usual Land and Property section and tick the jointly let box; however, a couple of issues occurred to me.
- There is actually 3 properties owned and intention to purchase at least one further property.
- Their intention is to retain any funds within the (separately set up) bank account to potentially purchase the further property. i.e. intention to make a profit
- There is a legal partnership agreement written up by a solicitor. It includes a key paragraph stating 'the parties shall be partners in the business of buying residential properties for the the purpose of letting'
I believe therefore that these factors would constitute a business and in fact we should be preparing a partnership tax return. To do this I will need to get a partnership UTR.
I also assume therefore that I ought to be preparing a set of partnership accounts, including a balance sheet showing the cost of properties and mortgage creditor etc?
My final assumption is that the profits should be taxed as Self Employed pages rather than on Land and Property. This therefore means a potential Class 4 NIC liability.
Reviewing HMRC guidance and tax books it seems that for joint property to be a business is rare; however, I still feel that the factors mentioned do create this scenario.
I would appreciate peoples comments on this and also whether there are there any other potential factors/ issues I need to consider?
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 215 10
- Excel query 68 2
- Funding Circle experience 110 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,243 13
- Payment on account penalties 82 3
- Tax on free shares 116 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 189 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 114 1
- Audit 469 14
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 388 8
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 115 3
- Buying a horse?? 403 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 184 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 759 21
- PITA ex-client 245 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 247 6
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 361 9
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 324 5
- How to complain about HMRC 1,667 19
- New supplier 159 3
- CTA study material 801
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 492
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 455
- Employment related securities question 319
- AIM Stocks and IHT 306
- Expat pension contributions? 278
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 275
- Trust for Employee 254
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 223
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 158