Joint property rental
I have been instructed by a friend of mine (why are they never easy!) who owns some rental property jointly with his 3 siblings. I was going to complete the usual Land and Property section and tick the jointly let box; however, a couple of issues occurred to me.
- There is actually 3 properties owned and intention to purchase at least one further property.
- Their intention is to retain any funds within the (separately set up) bank account to potentially purchase the further property. i.e. intention to make a profit
- There is a legal partnership agreement written up by a solicitor. It includes a key paragraph stating 'the parties shall be partners in the business of buying residential properties for the the purpose of letting'
I believe therefore that these factors would constitute a business and in fact we should be preparing a partnership tax return. To do this I will need to get a partnership UTR.
I also assume therefore that I ought to be preparing a set of partnership accounts, including a balance sheet showing the cost of properties and mortgage creditor etc?
My final assumption is that the profits should be taxed as Self Employed pages rather than on Land and Property. This therefore means a potential Class 4 NIC liability.
Reviewing HMRC guidance and tax books it seems that for joint property to be a business is rare; however, I still feel that the factors mentioned do create this scenario.
I would appreciate peoples comments on this and also whether there are there any other potential factors/ issues I need to consider?
- Accountex flash mob 539 18
- The new married allowance 130 3
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 150 2
- Any good members voluntary liquidators 52 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 681 10
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 856 20
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,734 32
- VAT by Direct Debit 114 8
- Er... 334 2
- Cash extraction pre-sale 205 5
- VAT claim on exempt supply 310 11
- Group structure - transfer of shares 127 5
- Child benefit 356 9
- £3750 earned in Dubai - where on the income tax return??? 151 3
- Tax on selling a sole trader business 317 10
- IR 35 230 5
- Share disposal - help please 112 1
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 348 11
- Final accounts - procedure 353 6
- NIC question 127 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 658
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 410
- Pensions Regulator 380
- RTI - duplicate employee record 343
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 328
- SA penalty proposals 312
- Using the correct forms 303
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 298
- Sage Vat return box 2 207
- Digital marketing focus group 202