Joint property rental
I have been instructed by a friend of mine (why are they never easy!) who owns some rental property jointly with his 3 siblings. I was going to complete the usual Land and Property section and tick the jointly let box; however, a couple of issues occurred to me.
- There is actually 3 properties owned and intention to purchase at least one further property.
- Their intention is to retain any funds within the (separately set up) bank account to potentially purchase the further property. i.e. intention to make a profit
- There is a legal partnership agreement written up by a solicitor. It includes a key paragraph stating 'the parties shall be partners in the business of buying residential properties for the the purpose of letting'
I believe therefore that these factors would constitute a business and in fact we should be preparing a partnership tax return. To do this I will need to get a partnership UTR.
I also assume therefore that I ought to be preparing a set of partnership accounts, including a balance sheet showing the cost of properties and mortgage creditor etc?
My final assumption is that the profits should be taxed as Self Employed pages rather than on Land and Property. This therefore means a potential Class 4 NIC liability.
Reviewing HMRC guidance and tax books it seems that for joint property to be a business is rare; however, I still feel that the factors mentioned do create this scenario.
I would appreciate peoples comments on this and also whether there are there any other potential factors/ issues I need to consider?
- OBK 309 12
- Proof of Delivery 184 7
- Mileage claim 158 7
- Auto-Enrolment 3,576 172
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 68 3
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 323 8
- Partially exempt? 108 2
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 222 9
- Property expense - legal fees 139 3
- Research expenses for authors 270 6
- Investor exit 80 1
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 126 3
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 239 4
- Accounting for a VAT Group 121 3
- Xero (another cloud system) and your year end accounts file 137 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,701 25
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 415 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,766 588
- Rental Income Tax Planning 136 2
- What type of Trust? 102 1
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 509
- Skandia using wrong address 459
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 246
- Employee rewards 245
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 214
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 197
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 187
- Etax Australian 158