Joint property rental
I have been instructed by a friend of mine (why are they never easy!) who owns some rental property jointly with his 3 siblings. I was going to complete the usual Land and Property section and tick the jointly let box; however, a couple of issues occurred to me.
- There is actually 3 properties owned and intention to purchase at least one further property.
- Their intention is to retain any funds within the (separately set up) bank account to potentially purchase the further property. i.e. intention to make a profit
- There is a legal partnership agreement written up by a solicitor. It includes a key paragraph stating 'the parties shall be partners in the business of buying residential properties for the the purpose of letting'
I believe therefore that these factors would constitute a business and in fact we should be preparing a partnership tax return. To do this I will need to get a partnership UTR.
I also assume therefore that I ought to be preparing a set of partnership accounts, including a balance sheet showing the cost of properties and mortgage creditor etc?
My final assumption is that the profits should be taxed as Self Employed pages rather than on Land and Property. This therefore means a potential Class 4 NIC liability.
Reviewing HMRC guidance and tax books it seems that for joint property to be a business is rare; however, I still feel that the factors mentioned do create this scenario.
I would appreciate peoples comments on this and also whether there are there any other potential factors/ issues I need to consider?
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 164 12
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 105 2
- You know its over 199 3
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 107 3
- Cocaine anyone? 440 8
- Late Registration for VAT 466 13
- EIS/SEIS 129 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 256 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 394 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 389 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 658 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 525 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 550 4
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 90 1
- Personal pension 389 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 212 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,194 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 894 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 130 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,506 22
- Hive up 480
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 444
- corporate hierarchy 427
- Advice - 263
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 216
- WWOOFers 212
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 200
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 190
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 169
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 166