Joint property rental
I have been instructed by a friend of mine (why are they never easy!) who owns some rental property jointly with his 3 siblings. I was going to complete the usual Land and Property section and tick the jointly let box; however, a couple of issues occurred to me.
- There is actually 3 properties owned and intention to purchase at least one further property.
- Their intention is to retain any funds within the (separately set up) bank account to potentially purchase the further property. i.e. intention to make a profit
- There is a legal partnership agreement written up by a solicitor. It includes a key paragraph stating 'the parties shall be partners in the business of buying residential properties for the the purpose of letting'
I believe therefore that these factors would constitute a business and in fact we should be preparing a partnership tax return. To do this I will need to get a partnership UTR.
I also assume therefore that I ought to be preparing a set of partnership accounts, including a balance sheet showing the cost of properties and mortgage creditor etc?
My final assumption is that the profits should be taxed as Self Employed pages rather than on Land and Property. This therefore means a potential Class 4 NIC liability.
Reviewing HMRC guidance and tax books it seems that for joint property to be a business is rare; however, I still feel that the factors mentioned do create this scenario.
I would appreciate peoples comments on this and also whether there are there any other potential factors/ issues I need to consider?
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 669 6
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 695 19
- Sage Priority Support 97 2
- incorrect old p60 129 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 490 4
- VAT on new builds 120 2
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 348 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 127 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 121 1
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 139 1
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,851 26
- Missing tax return 183 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 922 24
- CG on Spanish property disposal 278 8
- SSAS Pension scheme 165 2
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 559 18
- Physiotherapy 246 3
- Inflation and fees 1,222 20
- Capital allowances not claimed 174 3
- Changing shareholding ratio 285 8