Joint property rental
I have been instructed by a friend of mine (why are they never easy!) who owns some rental property jointly with his 3 siblings. I was going to complete the usual Land and Property section and tick the jointly let box; however, a couple of issues occurred to me.
- There is actually 3 properties owned and intention to purchase at least one further property.
- Their intention is to retain any funds within the (separately set up) bank account to potentially purchase the further property. i.e. intention to make a profit
- There is a legal partnership agreement written up by a solicitor. It includes a key paragraph stating 'the parties shall be partners in the business of buying residential properties for the the purpose of letting'
I believe therefore that these factors would constitute a business and in fact we should be preparing a partnership tax return. To do this I will need to get a partnership UTR.
I also assume therefore that I ought to be preparing a set of partnership accounts, including a balance sheet showing the cost of properties and mortgage creditor etc?
My final assumption is that the profits should be taxed as Self Employed pages rather than on Land and Property. This therefore means a potential Class 4 NIC liability.
Reviewing HMRC guidance and tax books it seems that for joint property to be a business is rare; however, I still feel that the factors mentioned do create this scenario.
I would appreciate peoples comments on this and also whether there are there any other potential factors/ issues I need to consider?
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 164 4
- 27,000 Really? 1,153 38
- What are options for non CA firm 2,833 60
- Legal title not in the company name 795 23
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 343 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 313 8
- Opening Balances 207 2
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 589 7
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 116 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 93 1
- This is getting boring 621 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 267 7
- pension paid by company? 123 3
- inheritance tax 427 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 351 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 231 4
- State pension 304 3
- Accountancy Career 149 1
- CIC Company 658 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,823 22
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 641
- Cancelled 396
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 354
- Cancelled 338
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 310
- Probiz 305
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 280
- How not to compose an email 268
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 259
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 224