Joint property rental
I have been instructed by a friend of mine (why are they never easy!) who owns some rental property jointly with his 3 siblings. I was going to complete the usual Land and Property section and tick the jointly let box; however, a couple of issues occurred to me.
- There is actually 3 properties owned and intention to purchase at least one further property.
- Their intention is to retain any funds within the (separately set up) bank account to potentially purchase the further property. i.e. intention to make a profit
- There is a legal partnership agreement written up by a solicitor. It includes a key paragraph stating 'the parties shall be partners in the business of buying residential properties for the the purpose of letting'
I believe therefore that these factors would constitute a business and in fact we should be preparing a partnership tax return. To do this I will need to get a partnership UTR.
I also assume therefore that I ought to be preparing a set of partnership accounts, including a balance sheet showing the cost of properties and mortgage creditor etc?
My final assumption is that the profits should be taxed as Self Employed pages rather than on Land and Property. This therefore means a potential Class 4 NIC liability.
Reviewing HMRC guidance and tax books it seems that for joint property to be a business is rare; however, I still feel that the factors mentioned do create this scenario.
I would appreciate peoples comments on this and also whether there are there any other potential factors/ issues I need to consider?
- Cash in Hand 16 1
- Buy to let and capitak gain 120 4
- Busines software 105 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 171 6
- Converting a barn for business use 178 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 298 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 301 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 460 10
- are receipts needed? 595 16
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 272 3
- Bookkeping software 709 7
- Clogged Losses 276 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 256 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 649 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 308 7
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 258 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 119 1
- General tax book with planning 256 5
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 194 3
- tax on apprenticeship income 200 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 906
- International interest certificate 519
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 317
- Management expenses for investment company 272
- Bonus Bonds 264
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 180
- P11D benefit received by widow 158
- EXACT ONLINE 153
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 150