Joint property rental
I have been instructed by a friend of mine (why are they never easy!) who owns some rental property jointly with his 3 siblings. I was going to complete the usual Land and Property section and tick the jointly let box; however, a couple of issues occurred to me.
- There is actually 3 properties owned and intention to purchase at least one further property.
- Their intention is to retain any funds within the (separately set up) bank account to potentially purchase the further property. i.e. intention to make a profit
- There is a legal partnership agreement written up by a solicitor. It includes a key paragraph stating 'the parties shall be partners in the business of buying residential properties for the the purpose of letting'
I believe therefore that these factors would constitute a business and in fact we should be preparing a partnership tax return. To do this I will need to get a partnership UTR.
I also assume therefore that I ought to be preparing a set of partnership accounts, including a balance sheet showing the cost of properties and mortgage creditor etc?
My final assumption is that the profits should be taxed as Self Employed pages rather than on Land and Property. This therefore means a potential Class 4 NIC liability.
Reviewing HMRC guidance and tax books it seems that for joint property to be a business is rare; however, I still feel that the factors mentioned do create this scenario.
I would appreciate peoples comments on this and also whether there are there any other potential factors/ issues I need to consider?
- When to include value of import in Box 7 63 1
- employer pension contributions - OMB company 161 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 304 7
- Capital gain? 77 3
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,246 21
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 268 8
- Recharge for private use of a company car 348 8
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 414 8
- vat help for catering concession 275 10
- IHT dilemma 1,154 17
- Tax return software for remote working 234 3
- CGT 334 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 320 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 110 2
- Compliance check 513 13
- sole trader accountant 789 14
- Entrepreneurs Relief 400 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 604 21
- More AE! 502 11
- How to classify an asset 164 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,079
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 778
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 463
- Digita Hosted Software 280
- Call Centre Data Costs 251
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 226
- Credit where credit's due....... 217
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 206
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 187
- Director phone costs 150