Letter to Times about grants for '.. not raising pigs ..'
The old ones are still the best ...
Not a question - but nevertheless an amusing letter and pertinent now that David Miliband is in the news
Rt. Hon. David Miliband, M.P.,
Secretary of State,
Dept. for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA),
17, Smith Square,
London SW1P 3JR.
16 May 2007.
Dear Secretary of State,
A friend, who is in farming at the moment, has recently received a cheque for £3,000 from the Rural Payments Agency for not rearing pigs and I would like to join the ‘not rearing pigs’ business.
In your opinion, what is the best kind of farm not to rear pigs on, and which is the best breed of pig not to rear? I want to be sure I approach this endeavour in keeping with all government policies, as dictated by the EU under the Common Agricultural Policy. I would prefer not to rear bacon pigs, but if this not the type you want not rearing, I will just as gladly not rear porkers. Are there any advantages in not rearing rare breeds such as Saddlebacks or Gloucester Old Spots, or are there too many farmers not rearing these already?
As I see it, the hardest part of this programme will be keeping an accurate record of just how many pigs I haven’t reared. Are there any Government or Local Authority courses on this?
My friend is very satisfied with this business. He has been rearing pigs for forty years or so, and the best annual return he ever made on them was £1,422 in 1978; that is, until this year, when he received your cheque for £3,000 for not rearing any.
If I were to get £3,000 for not rearing fifty pigs, will I be entitled to £6,000 for not rearing a hundred? I plan to operate on a small scale at first, holding myself down to about 4,000 pigs not raised, which will mean about £240,000 for the first year. However, as I become more expert in not rearing pigs, I plan to be more ambitious, perhaps increasing to, say, 40,000 pigs not reared in my second year, for which I should expect about £2.4 million from your department. Incidentally, I wonder if I would be eligible to receive tradable carbon credits for all these pigs not producing harmful and polluting methane gases?
Another point: these pigs that I plan not to rear will not eat 2,000 tonnes of cereals. I understand that you also pay farmers not to grow crops, so will I qualify for payments for not growing cereals in order not to feed the pigs I don’t rear?
In order to diversify, I am also considering the ‘not milking cows’ business, so please send any information leaflets you have on that too, please. Would you also include the current DEFRA advice on set-aside fields? Can this be done on an e-commerce basis of ‘virtual’ fields of which I seem to have several thousand hectares?
In view of the above, you will realise that I shall be totally unemployed and will, therefore, qualify for unemployment benefits over and above the monies that I shall receive from DEFRA’s Rural Payments Agency.
I shall, of course, be voting for your party at the next General Election.
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 519 12
- Unable to access Co House website 27 1
- Late night meals self employed 204 1
- PPR ELECTION 151 5
- Is there a way around new dividend tax changes? 2,266 15
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 529 10
- VAN Benefit in Kind - Tax Code 115 1
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 436 3
- PAYE variance 163 1
- Partnership VAT reg - also applies to partner's INDIVIDUAL income? 189 4
- Mother and son property ownership 461 1
- Resigning as a director 289 8
- Is it okay to make full time drivers self employed? 1,767 22
- Paper partnership return 150 2
- Repayment of Share Capital 303 4
- Asignment of lease and premium paid 197 3
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 329 2
- Reclaim VAT charged by US company 231 2
- Entrepreneurs' Relief - we're too late, aren't we ? 635 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 509 6
- NHS finance professionals 557
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 371
- Foreign Pension Contribution 335
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 317
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 297
- vat gross profit percentage margins 297
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 273
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 243
- EBT Self Assessment Return 230
- Thinning income 211