Letter to Times about grants for '.. not raising pigs ..'
The old ones are still the best ...
Not a question - but nevertheless an amusing letter and pertinent now that David Miliband is in the news
Rt. Hon. David Miliband, M.P.,
Secretary of State,
Dept. for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA),
17, Smith Square,
London SW1P 3JR.
16 May 2007.
Dear Secretary of State,
A friend, who is in farming at the moment, has recently received a cheque for £3,000 from the Rural Payments Agency for not rearing pigs and I would like to join the ‘not rearing pigs’ business.
In your opinion, what is the best kind of farm not to rear pigs on, and which is the best breed of pig not to rear? I want to be sure I approach this endeavour in keeping with all government policies, as dictated by the EU under the Common Agricultural Policy. I would prefer not to rear bacon pigs, but if this not the type you want not rearing, I will just as gladly not rear porkers. Are there any advantages in not rearing rare breeds such as Saddlebacks or Gloucester Old Spots, or are there too many farmers not rearing these already?
As I see it, the hardest part of this programme will be keeping an accurate record of just how many pigs I haven’t reared. Are there any Government or Local Authority courses on this?
My friend is very satisfied with this business. He has been rearing pigs for forty years or so, and the best annual return he ever made on them was £1,422 in 1978; that is, until this year, when he received your cheque for £3,000 for not rearing any.
If I were to get £3,000 for not rearing fifty pigs, will I be entitled to £6,000 for not rearing a hundred? I plan to operate on a small scale at first, holding myself down to about 4,000 pigs not raised, which will mean about £240,000 for the first year. However, as I become more expert in not rearing pigs, I plan to be more ambitious, perhaps increasing to, say, 40,000 pigs not reared in my second year, for which I should expect about £2.4 million from your department. Incidentally, I wonder if I would be eligible to receive tradable carbon credits for all these pigs not producing harmful and polluting methane gases?
Another point: these pigs that I plan not to rear will not eat 2,000 tonnes of cereals. I understand that you also pay farmers not to grow crops, so will I qualify for payments for not growing cereals in order not to feed the pigs I don’t rear?
In order to diversify, I am also considering the ‘not milking cows’ business, so please send any information leaflets you have on that too, please. Would you also include the current DEFRA advice on set-aside fields? Can this be done on an e-commerce basis of ‘virtual’ fields of which I seem to have several thousand hectares?
In view of the above, you will realise that I shall be totally unemployed and will, therefore, qualify for unemployment benefits over and above the monies that I shall receive from DEFRA’s Rural Payments Agency.
I shall, of course, be voting for your party at the next General Election.
- Interest on main residence mortgage then lent to a company 42 1
- Am i Liable? 816 20
- Boffin of the Year 192 8
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 453 10
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 35 1
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 46 2
- Giving a seminar 644 35
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 897 15
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 344 3
- Sole trader - bank statements 323 14
- Altered PAYE cheque 438 9
- PAYE versus Dividends 123 1
- equipment rental 72 1
- Flat Rate Scheme 382 16
- Non sequitur 174 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,197 63
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 577 11
- Employer pension contribution as part of redundancy package 129 3
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 265 9
- Joint Filing Help 167 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,282
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 633
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 418
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 326
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 244
- Alphabet shares 216
- Agent fees to sell business 208
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 202
- Office recharges 162
- Tax position on lease extension 158