Limited company purchasing an overseas property
I have a UK limited company of which I am the sole director and shareholder. I am interested in using the retained capital in my company to purchase a property in the Republic of Moldova (Eastern Europe). The problem I have is as follows....
My partner was born in Moldova and her farther has developed property in this region for most of his life. I have an opportunity to buy a half developed property with the view to completing the development within 3-5 years. The property is a duplex and I would acquire half of the title for 300,000 EUR on the basis that I invest this money to see both halves of the duplex to completion. The logistics of how this would be legitimately financed from a UK company and how the title would be exchanged and at what point in time is the subject of discussion.
The title is currently owned by my partners farther for both halves of the duplex however he must divide the title into two and effectively transfer half of this to my company in exchange for an agreement for my ltd company to pay a series of instalments in order to finance the development.
There is a time constraint here that complicates the issue. The property does not currently have any windows and the external walls must be rendered. The Moldovan winters can be quite harsh and sustained during which time we cannot do any exterior work. Therefore if we do not finance the first stage quickly it will delay the project and we may end up paying more for the materials (Due to the economic situation the labour and materials are very cheap now).
In Moldova their equivalent of the Land Registry are a little bit slower. To divide the title and transfer half to my company can take 3 months. For the interim period my partners farther has suggested that we draw up a simple loan agreement of 50,000 EUR from my company to provide him with the money to start the project. The title would later be divided and transferred with a superseded agreement. I have discussed this with my accountant who is a little bit nervous about the initial loan as it would not be secured against any collateral. I generally don't like to be rushed when making these kind of decisions even though I have no reason not to trust my partner's farther.
Here is my question...Is it straight forward for a limited company to lend money unsecured to an individual in a foreign country? The primary business activities of my company are nothing to do with providing financial services or developing property. Do I need to inform HMRC and would they have any way to intervene?
My current position is to wait for the title to be divided and to have some security for my money, am I right in doing this? If the opportunity disappears as a result of stalling the process then so be it!
Any other suggestions would be very appreciated!!
Sorry for the long post... I just felt it was necessary to provide as much detail as possible.
- Employment Intermediaries 43 2
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,644 30
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 402 5
- CGT on selling company shares 217 9
- do i need an online accounting software 165 4
- transfer of invesments from company name to individual 150 3
- Moneysoft Payroll 667 16
- Companies House Search 366 4
- Property gift to sister 292 8
- VAT dergistration confirmation? 100 2
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,684 28
- VAT Triangulation Service UK - UK - EC 166 3
- Who gets the CGT deduction 293 4
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 657 9
- VAT training 405 4
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 289 7
- 31st october deadline 410 6
- RTI Late Registration query 160 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 276 2
- Payroll software 215 1
- NHS finance professionals 719
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 431
- Foreign Pension Contribution 407
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 390
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 388
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 346
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 308
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 292
- Incorporating doctors 234
- IFA income recognition & reporting 230