Limited company purchasing an overseas property
I have a UK limited company of which I am the sole director and shareholder. I am interested in using the retained capital in my company to purchase a property in the Republic of Moldova (Eastern Europe). The problem I have is as follows....
My partner was born in Moldova and her farther has developed property in this region for most of his life. I have an opportunity to buy a half developed property with the view to completing the development within 3-5 years. The property is a duplex and I would acquire half of the title for 300,000 EUR on the basis that I invest this money to see both halves of the duplex to completion. The logistics of how this would be legitimately financed from a UK company and how the title would be exchanged and at what point in time is the subject of discussion.
The title is currently owned by my partners farther for both halves of the duplex however he must divide the title into two and effectively transfer half of this to my company in exchange for an agreement for my ltd company to pay a series of instalments in order to finance the development.
There is a time constraint here that complicates the issue. The property does not currently have any windows and the external walls must be rendered. The Moldovan winters can be quite harsh and sustained during which time we cannot do any exterior work. Therefore if we do not finance the first stage quickly it will delay the project and we may end up paying more for the materials (Due to the economic situation the labour and materials are very cheap now).
In Moldova their equivalent of the Land Registry are a little bit slower. To divide the title and transfer half to my company can take 3 months. For the interim period my partners farther has suggested that we draw up a simple loan agreement of 50,000 EUR from my company to provide him with the money to start the project. The title would later be divided and transferred with a superseded agreement. I have discussed this with my accountant who is a little bit nervous about the initial loan as it would not be secured against any collateral. I generally don't like to be rushed when making these kind of decisions even though I have no reason not to trust my partner's farther.
Here is my question...Is it straight forward for a limited company to lend money unsecured to an individual in a foreign country? The primary business activities of my company are nothing to do with providing financial services or developing property. Do I need to inform HMRC and would they have any way to intervene?
My current position is to wait for the title to be divided and to have some security for my money, am I right in doing this? If the opportunity disappears as a result of stalling the process then so be it!
Any other suggestions would be very appreciated!!
Sorry for the long post... I just felt it was necessary to provide as much detail as possible.
- Tax Allowance on University Course 266 2
- MS Surface Pro 3 233 5
- VAT on cashback card handling fee 163 3
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 99 2
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 2,029 28
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 309 11
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 678 21
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 582 10
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 675 4
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,267 45
- practice planning 218 3
- Accounts Software 746 19
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 510 14
- Dividend Vouchers 402 5
- Gift to employee 433 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 188 3
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,145 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 213 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 177 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,701 10
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 500
- CTA study material 475
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 348
- Pre incorp expenses 337
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 282
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 275
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 220
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 176
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 150
- Employment related securities question 137